Is AIS hiding a scam in their time-based internet packages?

zoroastra999

On my phone I have been subscribing to AIS internet package (107 Baht for 20 hours) and I kept thinking "Time flies when I'm online"

Then I timed it. Before and after going online I dialed *139# (to get a statement of remaining time according to AIS) and noted the actual time (according to my phone / watch). I then compared the time I actually used to the time AIS claimed I used.

Every time it was wrong - and working to the favor of AIS to the tune of 60 to 100 percent.

I contacted the call center and they basically fudged the issue - refusing to give any explanation which seemed remotely sensible.

Finally they denied all knowledge of any problem and offered me 4 hours free airtime.

Perhaps other users would like to check this and comment?

to the favor of AIS to the tune of 60 to 100 percent

That's a pretty wide swath; was it 60 % or 100%? What kind of time period are we talking about?

My best guess(es): minutes get rounded up, the system may not instantaneously reflect your connection state, your calculations are off. Can you verify your usage with one of the eService options? (Not sure if those display such details?) I doubt it's a scam, but understand everyone likes to use that term for just about any perceived or misunderstood slight here.

You may be better off with a plan which offers volume-based services? And, obviously, if you are unhappy with AIS maybe experiment with one of the other service providers to see if they are scam-free.

Are you actually switching data on and off? That can affect time used.

exactly

iif data is still on it will constantly connect to the net to check for

emails and stuff without your knowledge

(even with the screen off keypad locked it will be draining your credit )

best to get a widget that enables and disables data and put that on your home screen

for ease of use ,one tap can turn off data when you check your stuff ,saves battery life as well as credit so win/win

exactly

best to get a widget that enables and disables data and put that on your home screen

for ease of use ,one tap can turn off data when you check your stuff ,saves battery life as well as credit so win/win

That sounds good any one you can recommend from the play store

You should always buy GB and not time, especially if you have a smart phone.

I use True Move now but will change back to Dtac or try AIS, True has soooo many connection issues and slow internet compared to my friends wit AIS and Dtac. I believe TRUE have a user base above their Capacity. At least that is how it feels.

exactly

i use this one :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler

but there are hundreds to choose from

exactly

i use this one :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler

but there are hundreds to choose from

OK thanks that look good enough for me.

Sorry to butt in here, but I have the same contact with AIS, and on two occasions all my money disappeared, and the data was switched off all the time. I went to the AIS branch in Phitsanulok, told them about it, they just brushed me off by telling me they would e-mail me within a couple of days, and let me know what has happened, of course they did not. I have a one year contract, and wish I could get out of it, but I certainly will not be renewing it.

It may not technically be a scam but it is like the lie of omission. I am sure they use every trick in the book

from rounding up minutes to premium time minutes, shoulder time, low time. Probably in the fine print.

Vote with your wallet and go to a new provider. coffee1.gif

I also think that the device must be communicating even when you're not receiving or sending anything yourself. The best way to prevent this from happening in the future is to switch on and off the mobile data.

I had similar issues with an AIS time based internet plan some years back. But it eventually became clear what was occurring.

On that phone I had at the time, it had an always on data connection, and so the phone OS itself was regularly checking for new emails and syncing accounts and various things behind the scenes -- all without me touching the phone.

And every time the phone did anything like that, of course, the AIS network recorded it as a minute or two or 3 being used. Multiply that by 24 hours in a day, times 30 days in a month, and the time really begins to add up.

The solution, of course, was to set the phone to disable its mobile data connection, except when you the user specifically want to turn it on.

With most phones these days it is quite simple to toggle mobile data on/off. With Android simply use a two-finger pull down, press on the mobile connection and slide data off - no need for a third-party app.

With AIS one can also turn data on/off by sending USSD requests to the network:

Turn data off *129*1# send

Turn data on *129*2# send

Check status: *129*# send

I sort of assumed the OP was checking his usage immediately after enabling data, and then again immediately after turning it off to determine the scope of the "scam" being perpetrated?

Most phones will be connected all the time - save when on WiFi, even if applications are not using the connection, so one really needs to be proactive in turning the connection on/off if on a time-based plan. In the OP's case, he would burn through his 20 hour allotment in, amazingly, roughly 20 hours, or 10 ~ 14 "scam" hours.

The provider still be an unsolved problem you really need to pick up one and try.. keep changing between ISP is an option! Do not sign long or even short term contracts and every thing will be fine.

You can always boycott a company when feel harmed by the same. I do and I do not care. ISP are all the same, I work coffee1.gif bah.gif with IT company mainly ISP. You always have options.

whistling.gif

speeds - I have been in very few places where AIS speeds were superior to DTAC (no idea about True). Testing with my 3G 2100 AIS "Freedom 3G" SIM and a DTAC TriNet (also 2100) SIM a friend lent me.

time - I'm pretty sure you're a victim of time "rounding up". if your phone checks for data (say you use google maps to look up your position) - your actual "data usage" might be a few seconds, but the minimum billing is going to be 1 minute (this isn't AIS specific - I think it's the same for DTAC as well).

How I deal with this is to just go for the "full day/week/month" plans, such that I just don't have to care anymore.

but the post about choosing volume instead of time also makes quite a lot of sense... I'm not maxxing out my data usage within the time limits after all, so I'm not actually getting the benefit of the "unlimited" plan

Good advice! Phone in your pocket is constantly doing something, from checking weather to updating Viber (so much so that Viber is now so bloated, it is most processor eating messanger)

and downloading updates to all the useless bloatware that allmost all makers stuff their phones with, all the stuff, that you never asked for, and dont need.

Turn off data, when phone is in the pocket, let the updates and all the useless updates to apps you never even use, when you are connecting w wifi.

But that should affect the download cap packages, time limit package should give you 3g connection exactly for the time they promise to give you, when you buy the service.

Of course having a smart phone, and data turned off means you don't get Skype, Viber messages, and no email alerts, cos you are not connected. But if you dont have to be connected all the time, turn data off.

Still, go with 399 baht 1.5Gb package, a Thai friend of mine uses this, its the lowest cost data package at dtak, unless watching video clips, it is probably enough for everything else. He spends hours on FB, and 1.5 Gb seems to be enough

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On my phone I have been subscribing to AIS internet package (107 Baht for 20 hours) and I kept thinking "Time flies when I'm online"

Then I timed it. Before and after going online I dialed *139# (to get a statement of remaining time according to AIS) and noted the actual time (according to my phone / watch). I then compared the time I actually used to the time AIS claimed I used.

Every time it was wrong - and working to the favor of AIS to the tune of 60 to 100 percent.

I contacted the call center and they basically fudged the issue - refusing to give any explanation which seemed remotely sensible.

Finally they denied all knowledge of any problem and offered me 4 hours free airtime.

Perhaps other users would like to check this and comment?

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Smart Meter" nickel-dime EMBEZZELMENT.

Every utility in North Amerika does it.

It's the wave of the future

You can't fight with them.

• 1 year later...

With most phones these days it is quite simple to toggle mobile data on/off. With Android simply use a two-finger pull down, press on the mobile connection and slide data off - no need for a third-party app.

With AIS one can also turn data on/off by sending USSD requests to the network:

Turn data off *129*1# send

Turn data on *129*2# send

Check status: *129*# send

I sort of assumed the OP was checking his usage immediately after enabling data, and then again immediately after turning it off to determine the scope of the "scam" being perpetrated?

Most phones will be connected all the time - save when on WiFi, even if applications are not using the connection, so one really needs to be proactive in turning the connection on/off if on a time-based plan. In the OP's case, he would burn through his 20 hour allotment in, amazingly, roughly 20 hours, or 10 ~ 14 "scam" hours.

Also looking into this today .... this is posted on their website ...

Notice the activate & deactivate numbers are changed around ..... is that a deliberate mistake ?????????

• To check the amount of data used, call *121(Free)
  • To activate-deactivate data by yourself:
    • - To activate data, dial *129*1#call (Free)
    • - To deactivate data, dial *129*2#call (Free)
    • - To check the status of data activation/deactivation, dial *129# (Free)

AIS is Thaksin

Was Thaksin, is now the Government of Singapore

Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited is Thailand's largest GSM mobile phone operator with 35 million customers as of March 2013. [5] Founded in April 1986, AIS started off as a computer rental business.[6] In October 1990, it launched analog 900 MHz mobile phone services with a 20-year monopoly concession from the Telephone Organization of Thailand, and later became the first company allowed to operate on the GSM 900 frequency.[7]Followed by acquiring Shinawatra Paging in June 1992.

The highly profitable company is controlled by the Intouch plc (formerly Shin Corporation), headed by Temasek Holdings, a Singapore government owned agency. AIS is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand on 5 November 1991.[8] As of 23 December 2011, InTouch plc holds 40.45% of the total shares of the company andSingapore Telecommunications (also majority held by Temasek together) together with Thai Trust Fund and OCBC Nominees holds a 23.32% stake.[9][10][11]

Temasek bought AIS brand through the 2006 acquisition of the Shin Corporation from the ousted former Prime MinisterThaksin Shinawatra.[12]

In February 2014, in a conflict opposing and the People's Democratic Reform Committee and the Shinawatra, the PDRC called for a company boycott, wrongly believed to be owned by the Shinawatra family.[13]

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Info_Service