Phu Nam Ron trip report, closest border to Bangkok for Visa extensions

Please be aware that there are no busses back to Kanchanaburi after noon. We figured the 12:30 bus should take us back, but appearantly it doesn't.

We did the border crossing as a visa run yesterday, also by public transport with the blue bus from Kanchanaburi at 10:30 (70 Baht). After getting stamped back into Thailand, we asked around for the bus back to Kanchanaburi. The Dutchman who runs the cafe said 5pm, but everyone else said no busses today. The dutchman offered to call us a taxi for 500 Baht, which we declined.

We finally hitchhiked back to Kanchanaburi, which was easy as pie. I usually don't hitchhike, but the Thai people passing by won't let you stand there for more than 10 minutes.

If you want to go from Bangkok Victory Monument or Southern Bus Station, you better start early to catch the 10:30 bus in Kancha and plan to spend the whole day, 12h+ in transit.

There is a mini van for 140baht that runs until 7pm they will pick you up at most places. Its a decent service me and my wife have both used it scores of times.

Where are most places? From where to where?

The van leaves from Victory monument(5am-7pm) its right next to the 7-11 on the corner next to Victory square(Hunaman travel not the touts). It will drop you off anywhere before the clock tower for 120baht or anywhere all the way to Nong Bua for 140baht. Pickup is anywhere 140baht anywhere between Nong Bua and Kanchanaburi(5am-7pm). I don't have the van number off hand but will see if I can dig it up.

post-133985-0-64912900-1393542169_thumb.

post-133985-0-04979600-1393542284_thumb.

Edited by BigRick

Please be aware that there are no busses back to Kanchanaburi after noon. We figured the 12:30 bus should take us back, but appearantly it doesn't.

We did the border crossing as a visa run yesterday, also by public transport with the blue bus from Kanchanaburi at 10:30 (70 Baht). After getting stamped back into Thailand, we asked around for the bus back to Kanchanaburi. The Dutchman who runs the cafe said 5pm, but everyone else said no busses today. The dutchman offered to call us a taxi for 500 Baht, which we declined.

We finally hitchhiked back to Kanchanaburi, which was easy as pie. I usually don't hitchhike, but the Thai people passing by won't let you stand there for more than 10 minutes.

If you want to go from Bangkok Victory Monument or Southern Bus Station, you better start early to catch the 10:30 bus in Kancha and plan to spend the whole day, 12h+ in transit.

There is a mini van for 140baht that runs until 7pm they will pick you up at most places. Its a decent service me and my wife have both used it scores of times.

Where are most places? From where to where?

The van leaves from Victory monument(5am-7pm) its right next to the 7-11 on the corner next to Victory square(Hunaman travel not the touts). It will drop you off anywhere before the clock tower for 120baht or anywhere all the way to Nong Bua for 140baht. Pickup is anywhere 140baht anywhere between Nong Bua and Kanchanaburi(5am-7pm). I don't have the van number off hand but will see if I can dig it up.

Great info.

Has anyone else been charged 900 baht?

I have just been to Ban Phu Nam Ron and found all the peoples there, including Immigration Officers, to be extremely friendly. The fee for the crossing is now 900 bahts but worth paying. Its an easy run from Hua Hin and our driver left at 7am and we were home by 3.30pm.. On the way back we stopped at a small "middle of nowhere " restuarant about 35Ks from the crossing. Its just passed a large building with two elephant statues on guard at the gates, so hard to miss. A very inexpensive stopping place with nice friendly female staff. Also has a small lake where you can fish for a wee while... All in all the best, quickest, and easiest border crossing to use. And only a small stamp in your passport page, which is an added bonus............ The transport was advertised in The Awol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike, yes its certainly possible, a 4 lane dirt road leads into Dawei on the myanmar coast. there are minivans on the myanmar side which run throughout the day. the beach in the attached photo is only 150km from the boarder, empty and beautiful. the south of myanmar is like thailand was 30 years ago. its an awesome place.

Art-of-Exploring-1024x768.jpg

Edited by BruceBayliss
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

How many hours' driving is 150km? From the border, how long does it take to arrive in Dawei?

Also, is the 7-day visa restricted by area, or can you go anywhere in the country as long as you do it within 7 days? (not sure if it's written on your stamps?). Could I cross at Phu Nam Ron, go to Dawei for a few days, up to Mawlamyine, then return to Mae Sot on this 7-day visa?

Hi naugastyle

The trip from Phu Nam Ron to Dawei takes 4:30 hours through some amazing jungle and mountain rivers. for more info on the drive you can read the link on the very first posting of this thread.

unfortunately the border pass only lets you stay in the dawei district, you cannot venture to Myeik in the south or Mawlamyine in the north - if you wish to do this you would need a proper tourist visa available at myanmar embassy in bangkok.

safe travels

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are reports that it has been closed to foreigners unless they have a Myanmar visa. Only Thais and Burmese can use the crossing,

Basically must have a Myanmar visa in advance. The last sentence is unnecessary - you can still cross with a visa. Also Thais need a Myanmar visa too for longer journeys inside Myanmar.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/23/2014 at 10:51 AM, Tomtomtom69 said:

I have read that you can easily drive yourself to Myanmar immigration for the stamp and then back again, in fact they encourage that since there's no reliable transport between the Thai and Myanmar checkpoints, which happen to be located quite far apart.

However, in order to go further inside the country with your car, you'd need special permission from the Myanmar government's MTT agency. Currently, my understanding is that only Italian-Thai vehicles can cross the border in either direction and they too are subject to restrictions, meaning can only travel to the sites associated with their work, not just anywhere in the country. There has been talk of opening up Myanmar freely to foreign registered vehicles, but it's currently unclear when exactly this will occur. Some sources suggest later this year, otherwise perhaps next year with the opening of AEC, but generally speaking it's anyone's guess.

Right now the most straightforward method of driving into Myanmar with your own car is going on an organized driving tour, taking in the major sites and cities along the way. Almost without exception, these tours start and end at Mae Sot, crossing the border into Myanmar at the Mae Sot/Myawady crossing and coming back the same way. I have the contacts of 2 agencies that can arrange these tours. It's becoming quite straightforward these days and with about 1 month's advance planning, it's quite easy to go.

Hello,

Do you know if anything changed ? Can I cross with my Thai car and drive into Myanmar without being shot ?

I do not have a Myanmar visa but can get a visa exempt stamp at the border ?

Thank you.