Yingluck assures safety for Bangkokians during protest

webfact

Prime Minister assures safety for Bangkokians during protest

PNPOL570110001001001_10012014_053117.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 January 2014 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has insisted that safety is the government’s top priority during the planned occupation of Bangkok next Monday.

The premier told the press that she expected Monday’s demonstrations to be carried out in a peaceful manner, despite reports of third-party interference on the day.

According to her, her administration is forging ahead with the February 2 general election, as it is part of a democratic process and a way towards national reform. She admitted that there has not been sufficient amount of time to set up a reform council before the election and has vowed to support the formation of the body after February 2.

Prime Minister Yingluck also commented on a rumoured military coup next week, saying that the army had earlier promised to maintain peace and to respect the rule of law. She declined to comment on her cabinet’s response to the move, however.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-11 footer_n.gif

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has insisted that safety is the government’s top priority...Prime Minister Yingluck also commented on a rumoured military coup next week, saying that the army had earlier promised to maintain peace and to respect the rule of law. She declined to comment on her cabinet’s response to the move, however."

Well, that works for me. If you can't believe a prime minister who hasn't delivered on most of her campaign promises or military leaders from a country which has had 11 coups since 1932, who can you believe?whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Is she still in Bkk or she left to north for her own safetycheesy.gifcheesy.gif

She also said .......

"Gov't can control situation during "Bangkok shutdown": [said] Yingluck" [but the] "Prime Minister assures safety for Bangkokians during protest"

"Yingluck fears of military coup if violence flares up in "Bangkok shutdown.....saying that the army had earlier promised to maintain peace and to respect the rule of law..... adding that she also shares the fears of some people that "some mysterious gunmen" might trigger violence..... Suthep must be held accountable if such untoward incident eventually occurs," Yingluck said."

"Deputy government spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakavat even predicted that the coup might occur on Tuesday, a day after the planned " Bangkok shutdown."...."We will certainly rise up against a military coup if it ever this happens again. But we will not do anything to help make it happen," said the Red Shirts leader."

"the government will only establish the council by an order of the Prime Minister's Office and will be acknowledged by the Cabinet to ensure that the process can begin immediately......The reform council should operate in conjunction with the Feb 2 election, she said [however] She admitted that there has not been sufficient amount of time to set up a reform council before the election and has vowed to support the formation of the body after February 2."

Yingluck says whatever she thing the public will believe, but she know that what she says and what will happen are too completely different things.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

I like YL (well, certainly when I compare her with the mental case who is Suthep) but how she can guarantee the safety of people in a protest like this is beyond comprehension. Most people seem to see this as the start of a civil war or coup at best (please Buddha that's not the case) and she's sitting in CM telling everybody they're safe. Incredible <deleted> indeed. I've worked in protests (not in Thailand) and they can get very ugly very quickly for no apparent reason - usually due to agents provocateur but that's another story.

• Like 1

I can see the RTAF in Don Muang is out with all its toys on display today Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fears of a military coup have heightened after a dozen battalions of Army troops, tanks, armored personnel carriers, artillery pieces and other combat gear were mobilized from the provinces and moved to the 11th Infantry Regiment on the northern outskirts of the capital.

First Infantry Division commander Maj. Gen. Varah Boonyasit quickly dismissed the rumored military coup as heresy. He explained that the movement of additional troops to Bangkok was part of their planed annual parade which will be held inside the barracks on Jan. 18, the Thai Armed Forces Day. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2014-01/10/c_133034905.htm

Most people seem to see this as the start of a civil war or coup at best

I'll take a coup over a civil war anytime, but (this time) a coup might start a civil war.

A military coup is a very real possibility but IMHO there is 0 chance of a civil war. There are plenty of prostesters on both sides that think violence will achive their goals. The Thai people want to live in peace without corruption.

I'll take a coup over a civil war anytime, but (this time) a coup might start a civil war.

A military coup is a very real possibility but IMHO there is 0 chance of a civil war. There are plenty of prostesters on both sides that think violence will achive their goals. The Thai people want to live in peace without corruption.

I guess if Thai's want an end to corruption a good start would be to stop taking bribes for their votes?

post-170572-0-15039000-1389409072_thumb.

• Like 1

Never since Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood has anyone managed passivity quite like this woman. It seems time itself could come to a stop and there would still be time for tea, especially if she is in the presence of Thaksin's cousin, the ever irrepressible Surapong. And yet, naughty reality comes yet again to ruin everyone's parade. Well, children, everything will be alright. We will go ahead with the election, because a parliament that cannot open will put us into perpetual dissolution. Doesn't that sound like fun ? And there won't be a coup. Because - well - there just won't be, that's all.

• Like 1

I can see the RTAF in Don Muang is out with all its toys on display today Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Probably for Wan Dek (Children's Day)

Sent from a grotty old computer using my fingers to type

The PM was quoted as saying a couple days ago, she would observe the "shut down" alone. Maybe she has come to realize that it is very possible to be alone in a crowed room. The Shin family genes do seem to exhibit a bit of rabbit so its anyones guess as to what she is really attempting to tell the rest of us. I guess it depends who/what you support and where this will end up, before it will be determined if the temple visits bring "good luck".

Never since Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood has anyone managed passivity quite like this woman. It seems time itself could come to a stop and there would still be time for tea, especially if she is in the presence of Thaksin's cousin, the ever irrepressible Surapong. And yet, naughty reality comes yet again to ruin everyone's parade. Well, children, everything will be alright. We will go ahead with the election, because a parliament that cannot open will put us into perpetual dissolution. Doesn't that sound like fun ? And there won't be a coup. Because - well - there just won't be, that's all.

So what would you suggest, take a leaf out of an old PM's book - arm the troops and send them in? I think passivity on the caretakers governments part is the most sensible course of action. Of course you cannot accept that because it would betray your stance on hating everything Shinawatra and your mantra about a government not being formed after the election.

Repeat it often enough and hope it will come true appears to be your motto.

• Like 1

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has insisted that safety is the government’s top priority...Prime Minister Yingluck also commented on a rumoured military coup next week, saying that the army had earlier promised to maintain peace and to respect the rule of law. She declined to comment on her cabinet’s response to the move, however."

Well, that works for me. If you can't believe a prime minister who hasn't delivered on most of her campaign promises or military leaders from a country which has had 11 coups since 1932, who can you believe?whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

She also said .......

"Gov't can control situation during "Bangkok shutdown": [said] Yingluck" [but the] "Prime Minister assures safety for Bangkokians during protest"

"Yingluck fears of military coup if violence flares up in "Bangkok shutdown.....saying that the army had earlier promised to maintain peace and to respect the rule of law..... adding that she also shares the fears of some people that "some mysterious gunmen" might trigger violence..... Suthep must be held accountable if such untoward incident eventually occurs," Yingluck said."

These MIB, we haven't caught them yet. And didn't the Red Shirt said back in 2010, that they didn't exist?

She admitted that there has not been sufficient amount of time to set up a reform council before the election and has vowed to support the formation of the body after February 2.

This is critically important and she should be held to this 100%. The overthrow-movement should take this as an opportunity for withdrawal from further confrontation, and not rest until this statement becomes an actuality, and in a manner that benefits Thailand and all its citizens regardless of their loyalties or social standing.

coffee1.gif

Easy for her to 'guarantee' everyone's safety in Bangkok when she is herself in some safe hideaway in the North. Perhaps her own people would believe in her a lot more if she was visible on the streets of Bangkok leading her own red troops.

Edited by trainman34014

How can she assure something, that she has no control over?

Given her pathetic performance and incompetence over the last couple of years, I would rather ask my 8 year old daughter her views on the political situation. It would probably make more sense.

So what would you suggest, take a leaf out of an old PM's book - arm the troops and send them in? I think passivity on the caretakers governments part is the most sensible course of action. Of course you cannot accept that because it would betray your stance on hating everything Shinawatra and your mantra about a government not being formed after the election.

Repeat it often enough and hope it will come true appears to be your motto.

Her being passive is not a choice. She doesn't have any power to do anything against the protestors. Without the army to back her, she's toothless and she knows it.

Well, if YL sees your post, she will probably have an epileptic fit visualizing anyone wearing a cardigan. To her, such poor fashion style is more repulsive and strikes more fear in her than a coup or revolution. Sir, have you any humanity at all? giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

I guess if Thai's want an end to corruption a good start would be to stop taking bribes for their votes?

attachicon.giffish.png

And pigs definitely will fly.

She also said .......

"Deputy government spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakavat even predicted that the coup might occur on Tuesday, a day after the planned " Bangkok shutdown."...."We will certainly rise up against a military coup if it ever this happens again. But we will not do anything to help make it happen," said the Red Shirts leader."

"the government will only establish the council by an order of the Prime Minister's Office and will be acknowledged by the Cabinet to ensure that the process can begin immediately......The reform council should operate in conjunction with the Feb 2 election, she said [however] She admitted that there has not been sufficient amount of time to set up a reform council before the election and has vowed to support the formation of the body after February 2."

Yingluck says whatever she thing the public will believe, but she know that what she says and what will happen are too completely different things.

cover her ass with all possible scenarios giggle.gifgiggle.gif