drivers licence in isaan?

davetrout

Hi fellas,

l come to sisaket about every two months for 3 weeks. l have been stopped before by police for having my lights on during the day. they not ask for licence. In the future do l need thai licence or show my aussie one. if so how do i get thai one.

cheers for any reply

You can show your Oz one which will be fine. Just mention that you are on holidays. Make sure you have your passport with you. You can also go to NRMA, RACV etc in Oz and get a 12 month international drivers licence. Im pretty sure you wont be able to get a thai drivers licence unless you are actually living here. Maybe wrong on that but when I get my licence renewed in the past I have always had to get a letter from immigration to prove that I live here.

As you're only here for a couple of weeks at a time you are, presumably on a tourist visa. You can drive on your Aussie licence. If however you should come to live here permanently you should get A Thai licence .

To get a Thai licence you need a letter from Immigration to say you are a resident, they won't give you this if you are only here on a 30 day tourist visa. Hope that helps.

As for getting a Thai license as stated before without some kind of visa, other than a tourist you cant get the residency letter from Immigration, hence no Thai drivers license. As for driving on your Aussie license, well the law says as a tourist you can drive legally, however as we all know the law is kinda made up on the spot by the cop that stop you. you can argue with them until the cows come home about the legality of it all, but it'll just make 'you' more frustrated and the end result will be the same. My advice, have a couple of hundred Baht folded up in your wallet, and you'll be on your merry way in a jiffy

• Like 1

You can show your Oz one which will be fine. Just mention that you are on holidays. Make sure you have your passport with you. You can also go to NRMA, RACV etc in Oz and get a 12 month international drivers licence. Im pretty sure you wont be able to get a thai drivers licence unless you are actually living here. Maybe wrong on that but when I get my licence renewed in the past I have always had to get a letter from immigration to prove that I live here.ave

You can get a Thai DL on a 60 day tourist visa. You will need a COR from your embassy or immigration.

people have been able to get a dl when only having a 30 day visa exempt stamp.The trick is you have to the COR. If your here working then your work permit will do. Remember by law after 3 months your home country dl is technically no go good in Thailand.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

International DL and you are on the safe side.

Lights on during the day as a an offense: so silly but true wink.png.pagespeed.ce.0awNpHtDlK.png TiT

IDL are illegal IDP are legal. IDL is what you get from Khao San Road. and even if you have an IDP with your home country dl your still only legally good for 3 months in Thailand.

• Like 2

As far as I know, but forgive me if talking <deleted>, following international conventions, one can drive around for 45 days in one stretch and 90 days in a year on tourist visa.

That is, if your DL is not only in your countries language, but also in French or English depending the country you go to.

For Thailand that would be English.

That said, it might be handy to obtain an IDP in your home country.

Remember, show the authorities, be it police, customs, military police, both the IDP and you countries DL.

If you are a tourist, keep your passport ready, if asked for.

Edited by hansnl

As far as I know, but forgive me if talking <deleted>, following international conventions, one can drive around for 45 days in one stretch and 90 days in a year on tourist visa.

That is, if your DL is not only in your countries language, but also in French or English depending the country you go to.

For Thailand that would be English.

That said, it might be handy to obtain an IDP in your home country.

Remember, show the authorities, be it police, customs, military police, both the IDP and you countries DL.

If you are a tourist, keep your passport ready, if asked for.

I have never met an Isaan policeman who knows what an IDP is. You might as well give them a library ticket AND the usual 200b

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Lights on during the day as a an offense: so silly but true wink.png.pagespeed.ce.0awNpHtDlK.png TiT

IDL are illegal IDP are legal. IDL is what you get from Khao San Road. and even if you have an IDP with your home country dl your still only legally good for 3 months in Thailand.

I am not a native speaker. So yes, be it a "international driving permit". Referring to above post. Get it in your home country.

I have never met an Isaan policeman who knows what an IDP is. You might as well give them a library ticket AND the usual 200b

Typical Thai forum answer xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

The topic starter wants to know how to drive legal in Thailand, not how cheap it is to get away with the Isan policemen at a routine checkpoint.

What do you think happens if you are involved in an accident?

There WILL be people able to read your driving permit.

Edited by KhunBENQ

it's been my experience that the only thing the police in Sakon want is a thai license. Before I tried showing USA license - sometimes they would chuckle and wave me on and other times they would have me pay the 200 baht fine. Having the International License makes it easier to obtain Thai license - no need for written exam portion. Having a Thai license makes life that much easier. I have a license for car but not motorbike. Could never pass the written test for motorbike.

• Like 1

it's been my experience that the only thing the police in Sakon want is a thai license. Before I tried showing USA license - sometimes they would chuckle and wave me on and other times they would have me pay the 200 baht fine. Having the International License makes it easier to obtain Thai license - no need for written exam portion. Having a Thai license makes life that much easier. I have a license for car but not motorbike. Could never pass the written test for motorbike.

Not any more, even with an IDP the Land Transportation Department (LTD) are now starting to make all foreigners with their home licences and idp take the written and driving test. Be per paired.. I personally know of individuals over the past 2 weeks that this has happen to.

Not any more, even with an IDP the Land Transportation Department (LTD) are now starting to make all foreigners with their home licences and idp take the written and driving test. Be per paired.. I personally know of individuals over the past 2 weeks that this has happen to.

When I return shortly I'll be due to get my 5 yr. license. Maybe I'll have to take a little trip to a more touristy area. Or pay the gratitious rate for a license as I know is done.

When I return shortly I'll be due to get my 5 yr. license. Maybe I'll have to take a little trip to a more touristy area. Or pay the gratitious rate for a license as I know is done.

To my knowledge this is only on your 1 year dl at all ltd's nationwide and not on the 5 year dl.

• Like 1

I am not a native speaker. So yes, be it a "international driving permit". Referring to above post. Get it in your home country.

Typical Thai forum answer

The guys coming to Sisaket and that is my first hand experience in Sisaket. Nothing to do with forums.

The guys coming to Sisaket and that is my first hand experience in Sisaket.

The 2 times I've been stopped by traffic police recently, once on 221 just to the south of Sisaket and the other in Yasothon they accepted my IDP no questions asked. They didn't ask for my original licence.

Once was an imaginary speeding offence which i quickly talked myself out of, and the other a night time road block.

Just to add. No donations were required either.

Edited by Farma

You can show your Oz one which will be fine. Just mention that you are on holidays. Make sure you have your passport with you. You can also go to NRMA, RACV etc in Oz and get a 12 month international drivers licence. Im pretty sure you wont be able to get a thai drivers licence unless you are actually living here. Maybe wrong on that but when I get my licence renewed in the past I have always had to get a letter from immigration to prove that I live here.

Yup! When I applied for my international license before going to Thailand I went to RACV and paid $40 for a small book which stated in both Thai/English I have legal rights by the co-operation of Thai/Oz law I'm legally allowed to drive. The license is long expired but every time I get pulled over, I show it, and police don't even bother to check the expiry date ehehehe.

Yup! When I applied for my international license before going to Thailand I went to RACV and paid $40 for a small book which stated in both Thai/English I have legal rights by the co-operation of Thai/Oz law I'm legally allowed to drive. The license is long expired but every time I get pulled over, I show it, and police don't even bother to check the expiry date ehehehe.

Lights on during the day. Are you trying to drive "safer" than everyone else, thats why the police are stopping you. Blend in and turn off the lights, even at night, drive with a "me first" attitude and you will be just another local. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i truly believe if you have your lights on during the day it will stop accidents in thailand on the highways. the policeman told me at the time it confuses people.l had to laugh at this reply. even the police don't know what is good driving pratice. lucky my g/f with me or maybe big under the table fine for me. l do love thailand but always amazes me

Typical Thai forum answer xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

The topic starter wants to know how to drive legal in Thailand, not how cheap it is to get away with the Isan policemen at a routine checkpoint.

What do you think happens if you are involved in an accident?

There WILL be people able to read your driving permit.

Try not to confuse 'legality' with 'convenience'. We all know its legal to drive as a tourist with your home country DL, and an IDL is just a backup, so should anything terrible happen, and you actually got into the legal system everything would be find. However the cops who stop you, as I've stated before, basically make it up on the fly. They know the law, but they can squeeze you for whatever they want, and trust me they are a patient lot, they'll have you sitting on the side of the road for hours until you finally cave and offer some 'coffee money'. Having a real Thai DL, just means it's one less irritant when dealing with them. Of course if you live here and own a car, well then it IS the law too.

Last year, I had to take all testing. And don't think you could never pass the M/C test. There are only 2 or 3 questions that apply to motorcycles. The rest are the same.

Edited by Gonsalviz

Poster's obviously asking about Sisaket area. Get your IDP from your country, when you arrive in Sisaket, please go and visit the transport department.

Just ask them and I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to make your Thai drivers license without problems. Sisaket seems to be a little different to other cities in Isaan in general.

Should you get one, they'll issue a one year license for motorbike and car around 450 baht.

After a year, you'll get five years. Good luck, nothing is impossible in Sisaket.-wai2.gif

The 2 times I've been stopped by traffic police recently, once on 221 just to the south of Sisaket and the other in Yasothon they accepted my IDP no questions asked. They didn't ask for my original licence.

Once was an imaginary speeding offence which i quickly talked myself out of, and the other a night time road block.

So many experts! and many are actual more stupid than the Thai Police! facepalm.gif

I think a lot of the misunderstandings are due to the Thai Police don't speak English smile.png

I have been driving in Thailand, car and motorsai, for more than 10 years and never been asked for a donation! biggrin.png

If you follow the rules there are no problems laugh.png

If you don't you have to pay clap2.gif

So many experts! and many are actual more stupid than the Thai Police! facepalm.gif

I think a lot of the misunderstandings are due to the Thai Police don't speak English smile.png

I have been driving in Thailand, car and motorsai, for more than 10 years and never been asked for a donation! biggrin.png

If you follow the rules there are no problems laugh.png

If you don't you have to pay clap2.gif

If the police followed all the rules (& laws) you wouldn't have to pay.

Lights on during the day. Are you trying to drive "safer" than everyone else, thats why the police are stopping you. Blend in and turn off the lights, even at night, drive with a "me first" attitude and you will be just another local. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lights on during the day as a an offense: so silly but true wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png TiT

Do you really know what is going in Thailand facepalm.gif

All new MC must start with driving lights laugh.png

Pls comment laugh.png

Have a nice day coffee1.gif