AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL: Restraints urged to ensure rights are protected during mass rallies

Lite Beer

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL: Restraints urged to ensure rights are protected during mass rallies

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities must protect and respect human rights during mass protests planned to be held in Bangkok next week, Amnesty International said.

The organization has also urged all protest leaders to call on their followers not to commit human rights abuses. Protesters have announced plans to stage mass demonstrations and shut down government offices until the current government steps down.

The government has deployed some 15,000 military and police to the capital. “The situation in Thailand is tense, volatile and unpredictable.

There is a real risk of loss of life and injury unless human rights are fully respected,” said Isabelle Arradon, Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific Deputy Director. “Security forces should ensure that the right to peaceful protest is upheld; however, they also have a duty to protect the safety of the public.

When carrying out their work, law enforcement officials should apply non-violent means before resorting to the use of force, and always exercise restraints in its use.” “The authorities must also uphold peaceful exercise of the right to freedom of expression by protecting media workers from harassment and intimidation.” Protests have escalated in Thailand since parliament passed a controversial amnesty bill in November 2013, which was subsequently rejected.

The opposition has announced it will boycott snap elections on February 2, called by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

At least eight people have reportedly been killed and scores injured during the protests, which started in November 2013. In the most recent incident on January 10, four people were reportedly injured when clashes broke out between pro- and anti-government groups in Pathum Thani province, just north of Bangkok.

Amnesty International has called for a full, thorough, independent investigation into all incidents which resulted in injuries and deaths.

Where sufficient and admissible evidence is obtained, suspected perpetrators should be prosecuted. “It is crucial that authorities ensure redress for these deaths, and accountability for past abuses in Thailand, which have led to loss of life or serious harm,” said Isabelle Arradon.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-12 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

The organization has also urged all protest leaders to call on their followers not to commit human rights abuses.

They have correctly identified the flashpoint.

It will be interesting to see if Suthep takes this advice although i won't be surprised if he doesn't.

He needs violence in some form or another in order to set up the conditions for a coup.

• Like 2

The organization has also urged all protest leaders to call on their followers not to commit human rights abuses.

It will be interesting to see if Suthep takes this advice although i won't be surprised if he doesn't.

He needs violence in some form or another in order to set up the conditions for a coup.

I would say that he doesn't really need to do much to get his coup with people like this about.

RT@Juarawee: Sudchai Boonchai, leader of Friends of Thaksin, tells his fb fans 2 hold Gen. Prayuth’s daughters hostage as eye-for-eye method against coup

Edited by poisonus

Blah Blah Blah...do they realize, how ridiculous, they sound to Thai people? Thai people don't take advise, suggestions or orders from outside the Country.

The suggestions are all good, but Amnesty International has no rights, or power in Thailand whatsoever.

Their heart is in the right place, but they should do their research before they open their mouth. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Blah Blah Blah...do they realize, how ridiculous, they sound to Thai people? Thai people don't take advise, suggestions or orders from outside the Country.

The suggestions are all good, but Amnesty International has no rights, or power in Thailand whatsoever.

Their heart is in the right place, but they should do their research before they open their mouth. wai2.gif

Not true at all. In the 70ies the U.S. airforce wanted to install airbases for bombing Laos and Vietnam, and Thailand agreed in the aggression of his neighbour.

Not true at all. In the 70ies the U.S. airforce wanted to install airbases for bombing Laos and Vietnam, and Thailand agreed in the aggression of his neighbour.

Well:

Thailands elites was scared of the communists

USA gave a lot weapons and training for free

The soldiers came with buckets full of money and inject it in the economic, pushing Thailand forward

USA is a scary enemy

Most probably the USA greased the decision

Thailand (but also most other countries) love to show power against their neighbors

Amnesty International can do what?

Well what would the USA or Germany think if some Thai (or even Asian) organizations urges for something?

RT@Juarawee: Sudchai Boonchai, leader of Friends of Thaksin, tells his fb fans 2 hold Gen. Prayuths daughters hostage as eye-for-eye method against coup

Looks like the Friends of Thaksin aren't exactly heeding the call to respect human rights, eh? bah.gif

<deleted>

He actually thinks this is a plan?,,

Well:

The soldiers came with buckets full of money and inject it in the economic, pushing Thailand forward

USA is a scary enemy

Thailand (but also most other countries) love to show power against their neighbors

The USA greased the decision?

Do you reckon the thai army would have been capable of stopping an invasion from the communist states ?

They would have been in Kuala Lumpur in a week.

I second that! a lot of people have a lot to say, who really do not have an inkling about the Thai culture, and how the Thai political systems work.

• Like 2

Well:

USA is a scary enemy

The USA greased the decision?

Do you reckon the thai army would have been capable of stopping an invasion from the communist states ?

They would have been in Kuala Lumpur in a week.

they lost it in Vietnam

they stopped it in Korea

In Thailand and Malaysia the communists lost (gave up) with US support.

In Cambodia the USA supported Pol Pot who lost...but that is a special case.

With greased I mean they most probably handed out money or other favors to decision makers.....

Has Suthep threatened violence? I thought he has been asking for a peaceful demonstration?

• Like 1

Is this dumb B@#%$ suggesting tha Amnesty International supports Terrorists Activities? Shutting down a city and cutting electricity and water and causing jams to other citizens is not peaceful protests. These protesters need to be dealt withas terrorists! Whichever protesters be it yellow, red or white, anyone who does acts like tehse are categorised as terrorists.

Remind me to never support Amensty International again! Must have eroded into a dumb organisation.

RT@Juarawee: Sudchai Boonchai, leader of Friends of Thaksin, tells his fb fans 2 hold Gen. Prayuth’s daughters hostage as eye-for-eye method against coup

Looks like the Friends of Thaksin aren't exactly heeding the call to respect human rights, eh? bah.gif

Yep, what an idiot. I think the real risk now is to him, not Prayuth's daughters. He picked the wrong guy to threaten. Just checked his FB and he seems to have deleted it because I just get a "Sorry, this page is unavailable" page.

One would expect better from a professor too:

Sunai @sunaibkk 5h

Appalling! University professor on anti-government stage urged sexual assault against Yingluck.

Edited by Emptyset

There is a real risk of loss of life and injury unless human rights are fully respected,” said Isabelle Arradon, Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific Deputy Director. “Security forces should ensure that the right to peaceful protest is upheld; however, they also have a duty to protect the safety of the public.

When carrying out their work, law enforcement officials should apply non-violent means before resorting to the use of force, and always exercise restraints in its use.” “The authorities must also uphold peaceful exercise of the right to freedom of expression by protecting media workers from harassment and intimidation.”

According to which law or standard?

Amn int'l needs to understand there is no recognisable court here, and no official law enforcement with real leadership- on paper (in a bottle maybe 55), before issuing such crap.

-m.

With friends like this, whom needs enemies.sad.png

Yep, what an idiot. I think the real risk now is to him, not Prayuth's daughters. He picked the wrong guy to threaten. Just checked his FB and he seems to have deleted it because I just get a "Sorry, this page is unavailable" page.

Sunai @sunaibkk 5h

Appalling! University professor on anti-government stage urged sexual assault against Yingluck.

Did you really expect this to develop into an educational government debate? With dickheads at the forefront?

Most elementary could better this shit.... and come up with better ideas.

Indeed, a local neighbour's child spoke to me today, (aged 9), and asked me why everybody knows the 7 sites Mr Suthep said. She said if they were clever they would go to 7 other sites... clap2.gif ...: now there's a wonder.... I wonder who she heard that from .. 555.. daddy///............

-m.

Is this dumb B@#%$ suggesting tha Amnesty International supports Terrorists Activities? Shutting down a city and cutting electricity and water and causing jams to other citizens is not peaceful protests. These protesters need to be dealt withas terrorists! Whichever protesters be it yellow, red or white, anyone who does acts like tehse are categorised as terrorists.

Remind me to never support Amensty International again! Must have eroded into a dumb organisation.

I agree with you! The issue of public safety and the right of hundreds of thousands of people to make their livelihood outweigh the rights of protesters to hold the entire Bangkok public hostage. This is no different than the seizure of the airports. At some point, there must be measures in place to deal with anarchist acts. I would hope that Amnesty would review their statement and urge the protesters to respect the human rights of the general public in Bangkok. This is a hostile act and the protestors should be dispersed using internationally accepted practices and standards. The do exist. RESPECT MY RIGHT as a resident of Bangkok!

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

Sunai @sunaibkk 5h

Did you really expect this to develop into an educational government debate? With dickheads at the forefront?

Most elementary could better this shit.... and come up with better ideas.

Indeed, a local neighbour's child spoke to me today, (aged 9), and asked me why everybody knows the 7 sites Mr Suthep said. She said if they were clever they would go to 7 other sites... clap2.gif ...: now there's a wonder.... I wonder who she heard that from .. 555.. daddy///............

-m.

No, I'm fully expecting a barrage of stupidity from all concerned. How do you know the kid didn't figure it out herself? Pretty smart either way. She should be strategising for Suthep.

I say again that a military coup cannot cure this. It will calm things for five minutes...maybe ten.

I think that there will guerrila warfare, ok, I said it outloud, and I never wanted to be accused of suggesting it as something to be considered. This is all bad.

Fools, on both sides. They do not care what happens to ordinary people.

We are just grist in the mill.....

sad.png

The PDRC has declared war on the people of Bangkok. This is not civil disobedience. Prayuth has always said that he is on the 'side of the people'. General Prayuth, please protect the people of Bangkok from these acts of anarchy. You can protect the public good without a coup. It is time to show that the Army can use internationally recognized and accepted crowd control measures to deal with a serious matter affecting public safety and rights of Bangkok residents.

In this case it would be wise for both sides to stay away from each other as possible.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree with you! The issue of public safety and the right of hundreds of thousands of people to make their livelihood outweigh the rights of protesters to hold the entire Bangkok public hostage. This is no different than the seizure of the airports. At some point, there must be measures in place to deal with anarchist acts. I would hope that Amnesty would review their statement and urge the protesters to respect the human rights of the general public in Bangkok. This is a hostile act and the protestors should be dispersed using internationally accepted practices and standards. The do exist. RESPECT MY RIGHT as a resident of Bangkok!

Sounds like PTP we will deal with the protesters using international practices! But then there is always the Third party to fall back on the Black shirts!!