Permanent residency - What's the latest news? Is it worth applying for?

Married to a Thai makes the fee for PR 90K, otherwise it is double the price.

Actualy the rules do allow to apply for PR based on your Thai spouses income, (although i don't know of anyone that was approved based on the income of his Thai wife). The income requirement is also lower.

And as has been mentione, being married to a Thai national allows you to apply for Thai nationality directly.

So marriage does count.

Marriage counts if you work and earn. Yes, strangely enough the fee is 95K instead of 190 as if marrying (edited) makes someone more valuable to a society. In this sense, yes the marriage counts. As far as nationality is concerned, everybody is allowed to apply, married or not.

Does it increase your chances? Nobody knows. My personal guess is "no".

Edited by ubonjoe
removed derogatory comment

A good friend just called me in some distress, saying that he is seriously considering leaving Thailand due to unexpected visa problems. He and his foreign wife have been happily retired in Thailand for nearly 10 years. On a recent visit to their home country the Thai Embassy surprised them by telling them they could no longer issue them new visas, although they have obtained them there for several years, and told them to go to Immigration in Bkk. Before they could get back to Thailand their visas had expired and they were forced to enter on tourist visas. Immigration has told him that he can only get a 90 day extension because his visa was broken and rejected his wife's application because the joint bank account they have shown for the 800k for the last 9 years is no longer acceptable, although he has certified retired income for himself, so is not using the bank account for his application. He tried to open a new bank account for her but was told by the bank that was not possible without a 1 year visa. Finally he pleaded with someone he knew in another bank to open an account for her but I still don't know, if Immigration will accept an unseasoned account.

This and many similar stories are the main reason I am happy to have PR. When I applied PR was also the only route to Thai citizenship which have applied for.

I am surprised about the bank account. I would be on my way to pattaya and we all know how easy it is to open a bank account here.....He has many options and just need to pursue them/....I would move the funds every 6 months (if they only have 800k between them) and time my yearly visa renewals 6 months out....

Actualy the rules do allow to apply for PR based on your Thai spouses income, (although i don't know of anyone that was approved based on the income of his Thai wife). The income requirement is also lower.

And as has been mentione, being married to a Thai national allows you to apply for Thai nationality directly.

So marriage does count.

Marriage counts if you work and earn. Yes, strangely enough the fee is 95K instead of 190 as if marrying (edited) makes someone more valuable to a society. In this sense, yes the marriage counts. As far as nationality is concerned, everybody is allowed to apply, married or not.

It may not increase your chance but the waiting period is a lot less and there are less requirements.

they make it so hard for us farang

which bit?

The needing to work for 3 years earning a derisory amount of money, or the bit where you have to learn Thai to the standard of a 3 year old for the interview?

The difficult part IMHO is the hoops you have to jump through to be allowed to work. The rest is quite reasonable....

There was no requirement for knowledge of the Thai language when I applied for PR but it has been introduced progressively, starting with a simple multiple choice test that a 3-year old might have been able to pass. Now it has become a panel interview with senior officials. No longer a walk in the park but those with intermediate Thai will have no difficulty.

Re Thai wife and children. Many people seem to believe this makes a difference but the reality is that it does not. The majority of people approved are probably Indians and Chinese who are married to people from their own country. Many single people are also approved. I was single when I applied and there never any suggestion that I was inadequate for not having a Thai wife. In fact having a Thai family simply exposes you to additional levels of scrutiny to check the marriage is genuine and the children are yours, including DNA tests. However, this doesn't make them any more likely to approve you, They need to check the marriage is genuine because they give you a discount on the price and let ;you submit joint incomes. I have no idea why they bother to ask for DNA tests for the children because they have absolutely no bearing on the application or the price, unless you have no Thai wife and are applying to support Thai children as dependents but you still need a job to do this.

The same mythology applies to citizenship applications with people saying that having a Thai and children makes a big difference. Here again the vast majority of those approved are Asians with with wives from their own country. Of course having a Thai spouse now allows you to apply without PR and to avoid singing but otherwise having Thai family will not give you any advantage vs an applicant with PR and no Thai family.

which bit?

The needing to work for 3 years earning a derisory amount of money, or the bit where you have to learn Thai to the standard of a 3 year old for the interview?

The difficult part IMHO is the hoops you have to jump through to be allowed to work. The rest is quite reasonable....

Every country has protections for their local labour market. Having said that, I don't know of anyone who with a good set of core skills not being able to get work here with the right amount of networking.

The key problem is, Thailand doesn't require every skill set from foreigners. Much can be done locally at far reduced wages. That is a market issue, not an immigration, regulatory or work permit issue.

There was no requirement for knowledge of the Thai language when I applied for PR but it has been introduced progressively, starting with a simple multiple choice test that a 3-year old might have been able to pass. Now it has become a panel interview with senior officials. No longer a walk in the park but those with intermediate Thai will have no difficulty.

Re Thai wife and children. Many people seem to believe this makes a difference but the reality is that it does not. The majority of people approved are probably Indians and Chinese who are married to people from their own country. Many single people are also approved. I was single when I applied and there never any suggestion that I was inadequate for not having a Thai wife. In fact having a Thai family simply exposes you to additional levels of scrutiny to check the marriage is genuine and the children are yours, including DNA tests. However, this doesn't make them any more likely to approve you, They need to check the marriage is genuine because they give you a discount on the price and let ;you submit joint incomes. I have no idea why they bother to ask for DNA tests for the children because they have absolutely no bearing on the application or the price, unless you have no Thai wife and are applying to support Thai children as dependents but you still need a job to do this.

The same mythology applies to citizenship applications with people saying that having a Thai and children makes a big difference. Here again the vast majority of those approved are Asians with with wives from their own country. Of course having a Thai spouse now allows you to apply without PR and to avoid singing but otherwise having Thai family will not give you any advantage vs an applicant with PR and no Thai family.

I believe a thai child does make a big difference as you dont have to wait as long to apply for citizenship correct?

Edited by yankee99

which bit?

Every country has protections for their local labour market. Having said that, I don't know of anyone who with a good set of core skills not being able to get work here with the right amount of networking.

The key problem is, Thailand doesn't require every skill set from foreigners. Much can be done locally at far reduced wages. That is a market issue, not an immigration, regulatory or work permit issue.

Unlike Western countries and places like Hong Kong, there is no requirement for an employer to demonstrate that they have advertised and tried to find a local for the job. The scrutiny is more on the company to ensure it has enough capital and is profitable enough to support an expat. Even a university degree is not required (except for teachers), if the employee can produce references. There is a lot of red tape but for an expat with qualifications and /or experience employed by a solid company, there is no problem at all. There is also no limit to how long you can employ an expat without trainging up a local in his place, as happens in some countries. It is mainly bureaucratic hassle and dysfunctionality between the Labour Ministry and Immigration but no real curbs on foreign professional and management labour yet.

Most foreigners complaining about difficulties of working in Thailand have problems because they don't have the skill sets needed by employers in Thailand or work in a field where it is impossible to work effectively without fluent Thai or simply have skills that are very low paid in Thailand and not worth hired an expat for. But that is the marketplace.

• Like 1

So marriage does count.

It may not increase your chance but the waiting period is a lot less and there are less requirements.

Any proof?

From experience, it’s interesting to note just how difficult PR application is - and the formal requirements are only the beginning…

As inferred by a previous TV reply, the actual requirements needed to succeed in a PR application are far in excess of what is actually written down in the already very extensive requirements.

This year’s requirements, straight from immigration headquarters are in the attached documents in both Thai and English languages.

I completed this year’s PR application run at Cheang Wattana immigration HQ based on Thai family - 2 kids, 8 year official Thai marriage, 18 years WP working in Thailand.

It was the same official I met during last year’s PR application attempt.

The immigration official informed me that "the application meets the requirements for PR with Thai family. All working WP, passport, criminal record etc and company documents are fine and the application can be accepted this time - however, I feel that it might be rejected at committee stage and that it is better for you if you apply under business person rules next year with higher stated salary and bigger company registered capital"

So back to the drawing board and back to Cheang Wattana again next year for another attempt – an expat friend here recently told me it took him 5 attempts to get accepted.

Other stuff:-

All communications with the Thai official by me were in Thai language. I am fluent read/write in Thai. Our children are dual nationality. Wife and children were not asked any questions or spoken to at all, but were required to be present for the interview, so I guess appearance (of us all) was important.

I am guessing that the severe screening of PR applicants is due to the following reason…

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/139914-thai-citizenship/

Permanent Residence Work Eng.pdf

Permanent Residence Work Thai.pdf

From experience, it’s interesting to note just how difficult PR application is - and the formal requirements are only the beginning…

As inferred by a previous TV reply, the actual requirements needed to succeed in a PR application are far in excess of what is actually written down in the already very extensive requirements.

This year’s requirements, straight from immigration headquarters are in the attached documents in both Thai and English languages.

I completed this year’s PR application run at Cheang Wattana immigration HQ based on Thai family - 2 kids, 8 year official Thai marriage, 18 years WP working in Thailand.

It was the same official I met during last year’s PR application attempt.

The immigration official informed me that "the application meets the requirements for PR with Thai family. All working WP, passport, criminal record etc and company documents are fine and the application can be accepted this time - however, I feel that it might be rejected at committee stage and that it is better for you if you apply under business person rules next year with higher stated salary and bigger company registered capital"

So back to the drawing board and back to Cheang Wattana again next year for another attempt – an expat friend here recently told me it took him 5 attempts to get accepted.

Other stuff:-

All communications with the Thai official by me were in Thai language. I am fluent read/write in Thai. Our children are dual nationality. Wife and children were not asked any questions or spoken to at all, but were required to be present for the interview, so I guess appearance (of us all) was important.

I am guessing that the severe screening of PR applicants is due to the following reason…

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/139914-thai-citizenship/

I repeat. Money. The basic requirement is your income. Your marriage, length of stay, language skills are secondary. In case of business, your capital and again your income.

Edited by JHenry

which bit?

Further comment: gaining things like PR and citizenship is fairly difficult in most countries (with a few exceptions in terms of marriage).

Surely every country has the right and the duty to be fairly selective in terms of who they accept for PR / citizenship.

LOL you should see what the US does to Thais just for a tourist visa. Our son's grandmother was *denied outright* permission to come to our home to be present for his birth.

The Consul was here from Los Angeles last week and we took the opportunity of initiating the process of citizenship application. We don't anticipate a problem, but will post if anything comes up.

I understand that the volume of applications for Hong Kong citizenship by Americans has skyrocketed in the last few years. They also require the renunciation of one's US citizenship. Anyone have any insight into the reasons for that phenomenon?

LOL you should see what the US does to Thais just for a tourist visa. Our son's grandmother was *denied outright* permission to come to our home to be present for his birth.

The Consul was here from Los Angeles last week and we took the opportunity of initiating the process of citizenship application. We don't anticipate a problem, but will post if anything comes up.

I understand that the volume of applications for Hong Kong citizenship by Americans has skyrocketed in the last few years. They also require the renunciation of one's US citizenship. Anyone have any insight into the reasons for that phenomenon?

My wife had zero problems obtaining a ten year visa. At the time, we were not even married.

My hunch is MiL overstay the visa, why wouldn't they? It is not as though they are going to apply ever again. They go to states and function as nannies for a few years. When the kid can be put in daycare, they come home. But that is four years, not four months.

US citizens are renouncing in record numbers over what they perceive as higher taxes. Loopholes are closing as are methods to hide and manipulate large amounts of money.

Chinese Nationals holding an HKSAR passport are permitted to retain another nationality whereas those holding PRC passports are not.

During the 80's and 90's large numbers of HK citizens moved to the US to obtain US nationality because of the uncertainty of HK's future post handover in 97. A lot of them subsequently moved back to HK.

I would suspect that those now renouncing their US citizenship are doing so because of increased reporting requirements imposed by the US on foreign banks, meaning that they now have to pay US taxes on worldwide income that they were previously avoiding. Additionally, they feel more secure now that they see that China has honoured the Joint Declaration and an HKSAR passport is an acceptable travel document.

I have to wonder with SteveB2's experience with the official refusing his application and the same agent the following year stating that next years requirements will be tougher and more expensive. And also his friends app and many others taking so long. Was this a fact stated by the agent or possibly just bait on a hook looking to catch a "tip".

Could it be that one has to provide a "donation" to ensure proper attention to ones application? I know from my wife selling land in the past that if you don't provide a "donation" the surveyors (or whatever they are) take their sweet arse time (months) before they show up to check everything for title transfer. She was told frankly that if we don't donate we will be a waiting. Took about 14 months before they finally came around. If we had donated it would have been much sooner.

Also if it is true that the majority of applicants are Chinese and Indians they will already be familiar with this scenario as standard operating procedure. Would be interesting to hear feedback in the theory from those who have been involved with the PR process.

Or would providing a "tip" be much more risky than is commonly practiced with other departments?

Interesting post from SteveB2 indeed.

My own experience (applied 2006, granted 2012) was that everything was completely above board, no 'extras' asked for or offered.

One personal friend (applied 2008, granted 2012) was exactly the same as above.

However, both of us did the complete process ourselves, with only assistance from wife (my case) and girl-friend (his case).

There are a few posts in the excellent thread by Camerata mentioning different experiences though, usually where there is a lawyer in between.

Depending on what country you are from would it have any bearing on you birth country i wonder, maybe after you have Thailand PR, would it affect your passport or re entry into your native country in the future, also would the Bangkok happening have any future impact on falangs in Thailand, imagine the scenario (all non Thais - get out)

Recently, I read other posts in ThaiVisa re this issue.

I highly recommend -

"Camerata's Guide to Thai Permanent Residency Process" .

When I read it (unfinished), there were 2169 replies - more than 60 pages. I suggest that you allocate at last 2 days to read this post!

Obviously, many of us have a strong interest in PR.I am still confused - I will read about Thai Citizenship before making any decisions.

I highly recommend -

When I read it (unfinished), there were 2169 replies - more than 60 pages. I suggest that you allocate at last 2 days to read this post!

Obviously, many of us have a strong interest in PR.I am still confused - I will read about Thai Citizenship before making any decisions.

As has been said already you will not be able to get PR or citizenship without working here.

For PR there is a clause in the regulation for the elderly with an income of 65k baht income but you will not even be allowed to submit an application from many reports (it is not even on list categorizes on immigration website). There is a clause also for being married to a Thai that allows for a joint income or income of the wife alone of 30K but it is the same they will not accept the application unless you have 80K baht income with a work permit.

I highly recommend -

As has been said already you will not be able to get PR or citizenship without working here.

For PR there is a clause in the regulation for the elderly with an income of 65k baht income but you will not even be allowed to submit an application from many reports (it is not even on list categorizes on immigration website). There is a clause also for being married to a Thai that allows for a joint income or income of the wife alone of 30K but it is the same they will not accept the application unless you have 80K baht income with a work permit.

Unfortunately yes, not having 3 years unbroken WP & tax receipts is a non-starter. However unless things have changed since 2006, I believe that the minimum tax paid income under the family category is equivalent to 50K/month. One of the officers in the PR section specifically told me that.

I highly recommend -

Unfortunately yes, not having 3 years unbroken WP & tax receipts is a non-starter. However unless things have changed since 2006, I believe that the minimum tax paid income under the family category is equivalent to 50K/month. One of the officers in the PR section specifically told me that.

Somebody once posted in the Camerata thread that he had been told not to bother applying based on his Thai wife's income alone and no work permit on his side. He got stroppy with them and came along with a lawyer who argued with them that he was qualified according to the regulations and forced them to go through the motions of accepting his application. We can assume that he wasted his application fee and the lawyer's fee as well as spent a sh*t load of time getting the mountain of documents together for nothing.

In the past Immigration definitely had unpublished internal guidelines to reject borderline cases automatically to save themselves the trouble of having to do due diligence on them. I would be surprised if they do any differently today. It is not a transparent process as it is up to the discretion of the minister and not subject to any judicial review. That means they can do whatever they like and there is no recourse.

I highly recommend -

I believe that the minimum income for the family category is 30,000 baht for PR. It can even be your wife's income and you yourself not working. But as Arkady posted, that are the official rules and the internal guidelines will suggest differently.

You yourself working and having a good income (in Thailand) is a major factor with PR. The preferred income seems to be at least 80,000.

PERMANENT RESIDENCY (PR) is reserved for the so called "heavily desirable" foreigners. So unless you bring something impressive to the country and qualify according to the checklist from immigration, there is no chance. I doubt that an income of 30,000 or even 80,000 will suffice. You need to be sponsored/recommended by the company you are working for and they will (also) need to provide lost of documents.

It's a lengthy process and reserved for a few privileged (in the eyes of Thai)...

Good luck!

I highly recommend -

Hey CNX, I think we concluded already that in your case you should just stick to retirement visa. Safe yourself the frustrations.

For the money you also safe you can buy motorcycles and Christmas dinners till your last breath...

cheers

• Like 1

Yes Travel Dude, I am convinced -100%! Thanks for your input anyway.

No WP - no PR! Simple! It is not that bad being a 4th class "resident"/occupier ie 1) Thai nationality 2) Thai Citizenship 3) PR 4) Retirement visa - OA

#4 class is OK by me! Very easy to apply for. No lawyers - no bribes - no delays - simple to understand, little paperwork. no 6" thick reference guide! no real hassles with an O-A visa unless it is decided that we expats are out! Then 1, 2 & 3 have a distinct advantage? To my knowledge, there have been no changes in eligibility for an OA visa in many years! B800k is not a big call for non-marrieds? No need to learn the National Anthem- my ability to memorize is declining. My better half (after coaching) attends to everything associated with the extension. I attend the Immigration Office once per year. Smile, pay B1900, smile again, wait - updated extension. In fact, my spouse attends to almost everything!

So why are there so many interested players wanting to apply for PR? What are the hidden advantages?

Privileged queue at airport, funds in Thailand for purchasing a condo, a memorable photograph at the PR ceremony, status - what else? Maybe that is important.

Prior to relocating to Thailand, I read about Malaysia's 2nd home program. Looked attractive but do I really wish to live in Malaysia? Too late now. What attracts me to LOS? Not telling! It changes over time.

I have not had any real obstacles living in Thailand except those of my own making. Application for bank account - easy - even 10+ years ago! Credit card - same, application for driving licence - OK, purchasing a condo/car - no problem, telephone, electricity - OK. I even have some kind of housebook - "House Register" - a yellow coloured book - advantage - none that I know of. I have never been pulled up by the police - Immigration Office is OK. The sun rises from the East. However, if you don't have $$$ = problem - same in any country.

Big Plus! Nine years ago, I met the most wonderful Thai lady - by far the best relationship in my life. In addition, her family are very honest, caring, thoughtful etc. I am appreciative! What an asset! Much more valuable than the following negatives.

Big Negatives -

1) dealing with foreign exchange fluctuations! I am well-qualified in this area of business/economics but FE movements baffle me. I have lost a motsa in this area. Good luck to the players - you will need "Lady Luck" on your side! Even the professionals tend to lose. When I first got here, I bought a condo - doubled my money BUT the foreign exchange trend cancelled/wiped that out.

2) "Cost of living" debates - boring. Thailand is pretty damn good - very good in fact!

3) Waiting. waiting, waiting

4) service suppliers do not arrive or are very late - no phone call

5) mi bpen rai

Anyway, you are a long time dead! Am I jealous of PR status holders? Maybe a little!

Hey Travel Dude, how about sponsoring me for a motor cycle and a Xmas dinner? Reasonable quality will suffice. No Cheap Charlie stuff!

Edited by cnx37

PERMANENT RESIDENCY (PR) is reserved for the so called "heavily desirable" foreigners. So unless you bring something impressive to the country and qualify according to the checklist from immigration, there is no chance. I doubt that an income of 30,000 or even 80,000 will suffice. You need to be sponsored/recommended by the company you are working for and they will (also) need to provide lost of documents.

It's a lengthy process and reserved for a few privileged (in the eyes of Thai)...

Good luck!

Completely wrong Travel Dude.

There are simple but extensive regulations to meet and qualify for Thai PR, thats all. Anyone can apply as it is not reserved for "highly desirable" foreigners - those people end up immigrating to the United States or Singapore or elsewhere where PR is one tenth the price of Thai PR program and has 10 times the benefits.