Tukcom assistants now charging for their time

PattayaPhom

Well, this was either an outright scam or an expression of rage and frustration at annoying Middle Eastern timewasters in general. As you know, there are far more important things to be doing than one's job, like touching up one's makeup, checking facebook, or chatting w/ friends.

But it was nothing particularly shocking.

Over time, you learn, usually by trial-and-error, which shops, bars, and people you can comfortably deal with and which to avoid. Some Thais are a lot better at dealing w/ farang than others--esp the idiot farangs. If you speak Thai and know Thais pretty well, things might well be different. I had heard horrible reports about the TOT office. I went there expecting misery but, after some initial confusion and guarded caution on their part, ultimately had a good time joking around with the ladies.

I've also had some really nice, helpful experiences in Tukcom as well as some unpleasant ones. Some Thais started out unpleasant but then warmed up and treated me very well. It all depends on various factors. As in all other areas here, there's no simple black-and-white schoolmarm rule one may cling to, contrary to the extreme statements you hear on the forum.

• Like 1

I never had any problems with Tukcom, I bought my phone there and cheap accessories, I always ask around for the best price. I can understsnd they will get upset if customers are taking too long time to decide.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had some bad experiences on the phone floor in TukCom but it was only one shop.

The bitch running the shop really saw customers as a pain in the ass, she was busy with make-up and playing with her tablet at the same time, certainly no time for customers. I was greeted with a: what do you want? I answered her: Nothing thanks and walked.

Further up in the complex they are generally okay, if your are polite towards them they are normally polite to you too.

I saw some Russians (Well Russian speaking) and they were not very polite and they destroy it for everybody,sadly, but not all Russians are like that, some are soft spoken and polite (relatively).

Three days ago I popped in there for some CR2032 batteries, Pointing at a blister pack of two I asked an assistant How much? -100baht. For the 2? -Each. No thanks and walked off... I checked UK prices over lunch, Argos do two Duracell for 4 quid or six Panasonic for 7 pounds. Tukcom booth had no-mark crap at UK prices. I was going to bite the bullet and go back to Tukcom when i tried a Big Camera store in Big C, 39baht for Energiser. I got four. No more Tukcom for me, i don't haggle and i'll get a reference price point before shopping next time. Even for some bloody batteries! Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't remember the prices, but I get all my batteries usually at HomeWork (including the odd CR2032).

Location is convenient, and no hassles ...

luudee

My last couple of phones I actually bought at Central. Always avoid doing business

at TukCom like the plaque.

The only store that really impressed me, is a Cannon store which had very good prices

for original Cannon equipment. Same as mail order but without the hassle. The guy took

the time to show me a few items on two ocations, without making a big stink. I explained

that I was interested but needed to double check something. Ended up spending a good

amount of money there ... we where both happy.

luudee