Why can you not use a debit card online in Thailand?

Every time i want to pay online ,they will only take a credit card ,and my bank will only give me one if i have 1 million baht in the bank for 6 months ,i dipped under for a month and they told me i must start again ,yet my wife who has had about 25000 baht going in for ages and usually has about 15000 baht in her account ,no bloomin problem. when i ask why cant i use my debit card no one seems to know ,help.sad.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my Kasikorn Visa debit card to book tickets with Thai airways no problem at all. Haven't tried it for anything else mind you.

Just tried to book with Emirates ,no go ,also eva would not last year or Egypt air.Not to keen on Thai dont you think they have gone downhill such a lot in the past few years?

I've bought stuff from USA and elsewhere online, with a Bangkok Bank Be1st DC (I have 3 and they all work),

I also have a Platinum Visa CC from them.

A million baht in the bank for 6 monthsfacepalm.gif ..........time to go bank shopping my friend!

• Like 1

I've bought stuff from USA and elsewhere online, with a Bangkok Bank Be1st DC (I have 3 and they all work),

I also have a Platinum Visa CC from them.

A million baht in the bank for 6 monthsfacepalm.gif ..........time to go bank shopping my friend!

this guy is correct, after a lot of hassle, Bangkok bank new Bes1st DC card is the only one I could find that I can use for online transactions, also you can use the new card to pay for the BTS if your in Bangkok..

Edited by lmfao
  • Like 1

I use Kasikorn as well. I opened up an account with them and had to sign up for what they called k-web shopping card (you can sign up via ATM machines for free). They create for you this "virtual card" information that's doesn't have the same number as your actual debit card. When you want to buy things online, you just type in the virtual card information and go through the confirmation process and you are ready to go.

It's also worth mentioning that the virtual card does tie to your bank account. Though, when you receive a refund for something, it may take awhile before the money shows up in the account. I ran into this problem when I received a refund from PayPal, but the money didn't show up in my account. So, I had to go to one of the branches to make a claim (which required proofs such as receipts, etc) and they reimburse you in about a week. Sent from my SM-N9005

Edited by Ratakhun
  • Like 1

I use my Kasikorn Visa debit card to book tickets with Thai airways no problem at all. Haven't tried it for anything else mind you.

Just tried to book with Emirates ,no go ,also eva would not last year or Egypt air.Not to keen on Thai dont you think they have gone downhill such a lot in the past few years?

Absolutely, TG are my least favourite airline choice (having said that I would mention I never fly on any US airline). My debit card has my name on it, rather than just "privileged member" (555) so that might be why it works.

I use a Kasikorn ATM card for my online purchases, it works no problem. It's on a savings account where I keep some small amount of money. I only opened the account in the first place so I could wire the money in to Thailand to buy a car.

It had to be enabled for 'internet' purchases. I've never tried to book a flight with it - I use my real bank overseas for that kind of stuff.

I've used it to buy things from lazada.co.th in the past and it works as you would expect. I also used the same card to mail order some goods from a company in the US so from their point of view in the US it was the same as any other VISA card and the transaction processed normally.

As for a minimum balance, there is no requirement on this account to use the card online. I opened the account with something small like 10-20k baht and they turned the internet transaction service on straight away. I've never had more than about 600k Baht in my Thai account as I just don't trust the banks and that was only for about a week.

I can use my BKK bank debit card with all airlines(domestic and int'l) and the on-line shopping I do. The one problem i have hasd is with booking.com when the hotels want to take a deposit the day of booking(not pre-pay).They can't or won't accept a debit card. I have had to cancel and book on another website.

I use my debit card all the time, there is no way in hell I would use a credit card online. Bangkok Bank debit card works fine with everyone, plane tickets, bill payments, goods payments, if yours doesnt work then your need another bank......

Maybe it's a stupid question but have you activated your debit card for internet use?

I had to do the same with my card. I assumed it was automatic but it wasn't.

I did not know this ,i have Ayudda and Thanachart cards ,i was with the Bangkok bank ,but they were so crap i closed the account.

Maybe it's a stupid question but have you activated your debit card for internet use?

I did not know this ,i have Ayudda and Thanachart cards ,i was with the Bangkok bank ,but they were so crap i closed the account.

Well, the Bangkok Bank seems to be coming up trumps in the debit card division.wink.png

I use Kasikorn as well. I opened up an account with them and had to sign up for what they called k-web shopping card (you can sign up via ATM machines for free). They create for you this "virtual card" information that's doesn't have the same number as your actual debit card. When you want to buy things online, you just type in the virtual card information and go through the confirmation process and you are ready to go.

It's also worth mentioning that the virtual card does tie to your bank account. Though, when you receive a refund for something, it may take awhile before the money shows up in the account. I ran into this problem when I received a refund from PayPal, but the money didn't show up in my account. So, I had to go to one of the branches to make a claim (which required proofs such as receipts, etc) and they reimburse you in about a week. Sent from my SM-N9005

I have such a virtual card too. It has not only a different number, but also different exp. date and CCV. The problem starts after you booked and paid an airline ticket online. How can you present upon check-in a card that only exits in a computer?

To be fair. Using such a card for an Thai Airways ticket is ok. Their system knows these kind of cards and remarks your file key "No need to check CC" automatically.

Airlines that are not used to this security feature gives you lots of "fun".

• Like 1

I used my Bangkok Bank I Pay debit card to buy an IPad from Singapore today. I could have done it over the phone or online. UOB debit card does not allow online but if you go O/S you can withdraw from an ATM.

It is usually because you have to inform the bank to activate your card so that you can use it for online shopping. For security reason in many Asian countries they practice the same thing. So even you could activate your card to use it online I suggest you to have 2 bank accounts, one for online use and the other for others. Keep that much money you feel you need for your online use, because if someone miss use it then your lost is not much. The problem here is that if the card is misused then probably you would be responsible.

I am using my homeland credit card for online use.

Because fraud - Thailand statistically is right up there with Nigeria.

Sorry if already stated, but Kasikorn's great, get your regular banking set up, then sign up for Internet banking, then you can get a "virtual credit card" that processes as a full-on credit card online (ONLY) but in fact pulls direct from your account like a debit card.

No problems except when an airline requires you to show the same credit card in person when you check in - which some do. . .

Edited by wym

Almost All atm cards are issued with with the online shopping capabilities thesdays but you

have to call them and activate it or it wont work for online checkout

sometimes the bank staff call for you and you just confirm your date of birth to someone at the

call sentre and then it works for everything as a debit card should in my experience

Be careful about bying airplane tickets using a "virtual" card.. Sometimes the airline requires you to display the card used when checking in.. Oops smile.png

May I kindly draw your attention on post #16?

Oh wow! You were first. We want to make sure credit is given where credit is due. We'll also credit you being vain and insecure.

Hobz apparently did not see you post and was only trying to be helpful. Give him an f'ing break.

YES. As an earlier poster said with KASIKORN they have a K-web Shopping card that you can use for all online purchases.. THey issue you a credit card number expiration date and the cvv code number but never give you the actual card. I buy everything from TOPS, BigC, KFC, food delivery, etc

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank Be1st had for many years no problems...

But a warning... my fault no Bangkok Bank in my area and forget to take book when going shopping, last year remembered and up dated my passbook, 1st time in about 18 months, was in for a shock, someone had take out online just over 2,000 baht, 3 or 4 times a month.... Asked Bank for a full printed statement.. YES for over 1 year.... speaking to the Bank Manager in person and head Office on the phone, the Bank takes no responability with this [Lost 102,000 baht]....... the paperwork I sign to use my Visa Debit card online [all in Thai] outlined this......... No they could not stop this payment, I was issued with a new Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card.

Bangkok Bank Be1st had for many years no problems...

But a warning... my fault no Bangkok Bank in my area and forget to take book when going shopping, last year remembered and up dated my passbook, 1st time in about 18 months, was in for a shock, someone had take out online just over 2,000 baht, 3 or 4 times a month.... Asked Bank for a full printed statement.. YES for over 1 year.... speaking to the Bank Manager in person and head Office on the phone, the Bank takes no responability with this [Lost 102,000 baht]....... the paperwork I sign to use my Visa Debit card online [all in Thai] outlined this......... No they could not stop this payment, I was issued with a new Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card.

I am aware that unlike in the US (where it is required by law), Thai banks offer not protection for your money. If somebody steals it, oh well! If everybody did what I do, maybe the policy would change.

I have a BKK account and a "No Fee" TMB account, both with internet banking. I have a debit card on the BKK account (Be 1st), but told them I did not want one on the TMB account. I keep a only couple of hundred baht in the BKK account (they don't protect me; that's all they get). I keep all the rest of my money in the no debit card TMB account. If I want money via ATM, I just transfer the amount from TMB to BKK with my computer (about 4 minutes and no fee), then take it out via BKK ATM.

This way, I get to have my cake and eat it too. If BKK wants me to keep a large balance, they need to offer protection.

• Like 1

If your bank does not suit your needs, do not be hesitant to close the account and move to one that does!

I only have direct experience of Bangkok Bank, because they fulfil my needs.

Namely a CC is available if I keep a fixed deposit equivalent to the credit limit.

They seem very keen to offer CCs.

That is certainly not a stupid question, it was very helpful for me. I take it you are talking about Kasikorn Bank. I had my card activated and still had problems, and a refund I am due was supposed to come within one week, now it has been changed to 50 days.

I have accounts with both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank. I tried to register for Be 1st card, with help from an assistant in the bank. I sat at the computer for ages without a reply. The service was crap and I just walked out, but I did not cancel my account as I had just opened it.