Non O visa from the UK

I'm 45 and have a Thai wife, long way off retirement!

I rang the consulate in Hull this afternoon and they said 65000 Thai baht per month for any Non O visa, so that's £1300 to £1400 per month, I don't qualify. It maybe easier to get a 3 multiple entry tourist visa instead, I'm looking to apply to British Embassy in Bangkok in May for the visa department, I can get a Non B and work permit then.

You rang the wrong consulate. Hull is all messed up now.

Contact Birmingham, Liverpool or Cardiff.

You can always get a single entry and get a 12 month extension in Thailand.

400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 Baht monthly salary.

It has to be your savings or salary. Not joint.

Sorry different questions... I have a one year multi entry based on marriage.. Can I get a 12 month extension of stay before it expires, rather than the 90 days I get at the border. If I've got 400k in the Bank?

I think it is unfair to say Hull is all messed up.

I have had excellent service from them.

The fact that their criteria have changed and they are adhering to guidance from the embassy is unfortunate for the poor,however it serves no one to berate those who may vital,convenient or affordable to sum.

For many who have lived paraochial lives the inconsistency of regulation across the consuls is difficult,that is why this site is so helpful.

Finally rather than gossip or stale websites if you wish to know requirements call or eMail.Unlike most UK banks or Government departments they are easy to access on normal rate numbers or from overseas.

Obtaining Thai visas is far easier than Thais trying to obtain UK/US visas.

Good luck

As I posted a few weeks back...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694211-cardiff-consul-walk-in-only/

Posted 2014-01-04 23:42:06

A friend of mine just picked up his 1-year, Non-O (Thai spouse) at the Hon Thai Consul in Cardiff. Only needed copies of Thai wife's ID card and copies of Thai wedding certificate. No financials requested.

They told him that after 15th January, they will only accept personal applications and no more mail-in ones.

Looking at the various Thai UK consulate websites, the application for Non o visa seems to be in a bit of a mess. It looks like no one is now doing postal applications anyone wishing to do so, must contact the London Embassy before hand. Hull may still be doing applications for Non O visas if applied in person, but is asking for supporting documents to be scanned and emailed at least five working days before. All consulates seem to be asking for proof of income around 65,000 THB per month (for non o married to Thai National), though some post suggest this may be not necessary. What is clear is that all visas must be paid for with cash or postal orders, credit/debit cards no longer excepted.

Thankfully I do not have to apply for my non o visa till June/July by which time hopefully things will have become a little clearer, if not expect lots of questions on the forum in 6 months time!!. I have always used Hull and have been impressed by their prompt service and once the phone has been answered, the helpfulness in answering any questions.

I will be applying for a non O based on visiting my kids, did have non O for 3 years then last year didn't bother,

Schools close march the 7th till may 20th, so I will be there,

On their website for kids it doesn't mention the financial requirements ,only for marriage and retired.

My money I put in the bank is sporadic only when I'm here, and I've just bought a flat here so used most my savings to do that,

? Is do I need to show the income or not ?

Never had a problem with hull before super fast service.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by apiwan

I will be applying for a non O based on visiting my kids, did have non O for 3 years then last year didn't bother,Schools close march the 7th till may 20th, so I will be there,On their website for kids it doesn't mention the financial requirements ,only for marriage and retired.My money I put in the bank is sporadic only when I'm here, and I've just bought a flat here so used most my savings to do that,? Is do I need to show the income or not ?Never had a problem with hull before super fast service.Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
post-58526-13898495079419_thumb.jpgforgot to add

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Reading through the thread, one thing that seems unclear to me, is the status of the OP's monthly income - there's no mention of that continuing after arriving in Thailand is there ? What one earns in the UK at the time of application is surely irrelevant after leaving unless it continues in Thailand in some way ?

tegory "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job. Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

Copied from the London Embassy website, have not seen any mention of needing to show this continues after arrival in Thailand.

Visa Fees
Visa Type Fee (£) 1. Tourist (per entry) 25.00 2. Transit (per entry) 20.00 3. Non-Immigrant (3 Month/ Single Entry) 50.00 4. Non-Immigrant (1 Year/ Multiple Entries) 125.00 5. Non-Immigrant (3 Year/ Multiple Entries) 250.00 6. Non-Immigrant O-A (3 Month/ Single Entry) 50.00 7. Non-Immigrant O-A (1 Year/ Multiple Entries) 100.00

Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only.

Now only excepting payments in cash and not clear whether you can make postal applications at all! So is a non-0 multiple visa 100 or 125, it gets even more confusing

Reading through the thread, one thing that seems unclear to me, is the status of the OP's monthly income - there's no mention of that continuing after arriving in Thailand is there ? What one earns in the UK at the time of application is surely irrelevant after leaving unless it continues in Thailand in some way ?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing !

• Like 1

I got an non o visa based on marriage to a Thai national a couple of months ago from Hull....no mention of money...but my application was sent to London via Hull and I received my passport and visa with in 10 days....this was all done by post but that looks like that has changed now....

Why go to a consulate at all now...if you have to attend in person , only for them to forward the application to London ?.

Now it seems you can apply ( only by post ) to London directly .

Am I missing something here ?

Why go to a consulate at all now...if you have to attend in person , only for them to forward the application to London ?.

It is a recent change that the embassy now accepts application by post and has now stooped the consulates from accepting them.

The Royal Thai Embassy in London commenced its visa application by post service on the 2 January 2014. Termination of visa services by post at the Royal Thai Consulates in the United Kingdom and Ireland (namely, the Royal Thai Consulates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gibralta and Dublin) will be effective from the 15 January 2014.

The Royal Thai Embassy in London commenced its visa application by post service on the 2 January 2014. Termination of visa services by post at the Royal Thai Consulates in the United Kingdom and Ireland (namely, the Royal Thai Consulates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gibralta and Dublin) will be effective from the 15 January 2014.

Source and more info here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

• Like 1

They will refer the application to London.

From Birmingham Website

With immediate effect all Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry visas cannot be issued on the same day, as we require authorisation from the Royal Thai Embassy in London. Once approval has been granted the visa will be issued.

This from the London Embassy website

Category "O"

To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job.

Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

Hi - could you clear up a simple but crucial question pls ? I posted this but still don't know the answer, but 'common sense' would suggest that the Income that Thai immigration want to see (£1,400 min. a month) continues after an applicant arrives to live in Thailand ? -

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

It is a recent change that the embassy now accepts application by post and has now stooped the consulates from accepting them.

Source and more info here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

So it might be fair to say that the Thai govt has conducted a mass-coup against the hon. consulates ? Or at least, reigned them all in for being bad boys and girls in the past ? For many people - me included when in East Anglia - the lack of an hon. consulate within reasonable traveling distance would make postal application to London a newly attractive proposition, thereby cutting the consulates out of the business.

• Like 1

They will refer the application to London.

From Birmingham Website

With immediate effect all Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry visas cannot be issued on the same day, as we require authorisation from the Royal Thai Embassy in London. Once approval has been granted the visa will be issued.

This from the London Embassy website

Category "O"

To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job.

Category "O" with multiple entries

Hi - could you clear up a simple but crucial question pls ? I posted this but still don't know the answer, but 'common sense' would suggest that the Income the that Thai immigration want to see (£1,400 min.) continues after an applicant arrives to live in Thailand ? -

I personally believe that the info for a non O multiple entry based upon marriage on embassy website is an error. Especially since there have been very recent reports of it not being required.

The income would not have to continue because it is a visa.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the income requirement is 40k baht or at today's exchange rates 733 pounds. Or 400k baht in the bank which is only 7,328 pounds.

• Like 1

I personally believe that the info for a non O multiple entry based upon marriage on embassy website is an error. Especially since there have been very recent reports of it not being required.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the income requirement is 40k baht or at today's exchange rates 733 pounds. Or 400k baht in the bank which is only 7,328 pounds.

That makes perfect sense to me. The initial Visa is just for 90 days, so no proof of income or bank balance should be required. Once in Thailand, when you apply for the one year extension, then the financial criteria apply. If that is indeed how it works, it makes sense.

That makes perfect sense to me. The initial Visa is just for 90 days, so no proof of income or bank balance should be required. Once in Thailand, when you apply for the one year extension, then the financial criteria apply. If that is indeed how it works, it makes sense.

There might be a bit of confusion here - quote : I personally believe that the info for a non O multiple entry based upon marriage on embassy website is an error.

I was not asking a question about a Single, 90-day Cat 'O', but as ubonjoe picked up on, a Cat 'O' Multiple-Entry 1-year visa. This is what the thread started by the OP was about, so i was still connected to that. It seems to me, that if the income-requirement makes any sense at all, then it would have to refer to one's income IN Thailand, and if it doesn't, what's the point of it at all ? After all, it is presumably about trying to ensure from the Thai point of view that an ex-pat has the means to take care of themselves & family without needing help from any government agency. I fully accept though that there's often no logic to the visa rules, which seem to get more confusing by the year. The other qualification - a lump-sum in the bank - is of course in line with my logic, that the applicant has some means for self-support in Thailand for as long as the cash lasts.

I ddn't know a "Cat 'O' Multiple-Entry 1-year visa" existed. I thought the longest you could get was 90 days, and then you extended it once in Thailand. I guess the 90 day one isn Non O ? How can something so easy be so confusing...

Edited by Tuvoc

I ddn't know a "Cat 'O' Multiple-Entry 1-year visa" existed. I thought the longest you could get was 90 days, and then you extended it once in Thailand. I guess the 90 day one isn Non O ? How can something so easy be so confusing...

A multiple entry visa is valid for one year but still only gives 90 days entries meaning you have to leave every 90 days.

An extension of stay is the is the only way to get a one year permit to stay (other than a non-oa visa for retirement).

Excuse me going slightly off topic but I asked a similar question 5 days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695906-non-o-visa-from-the-uk/ What I interpret is though I am over 65 & a pension earner I would not be entitled to a Non O Multi Entry as I do not have a Thai wife/ child.

There is still a lot of confusion about this. Info coming in is that for retirement the embassy via the honorary consulates are not approving them. The embassy certainly will not accept an application directly because they only do the OA visa.

It appears to me that embassy is pushing the the OA visa by doing this.

Hull has even been reported as not even doing a single entry visa for being 50 or over.

Excuse me going slightly off topic but I asked a similar question 5 days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695906-non-o-visa-from-the-uk/ What I interpret is though I am over 65 & a pension earner I would not be entitled to a Non O Multi Entry as I do not have a Thai wife/ child.

There is still a lot of confusion about this. Info coming in is that for retirement the embassy via the honorary consulates are not approving them. The embassy certainly will not accept an application directly because they only do the OA visa.

It appears to me that embassy is pushing the the OA visa by doing this.

Hull has even been reported as not even doing a single entry visa for being 50 or over.

The Thai Embassy does Non O visas, or am I missing something ??

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Hi. Thousands of ex-pats have come in with the 1-Year Non-Immigrant Cat 'O' Multiple-Entry up until now - me included. And the 90-day is Non-Immigrant Category 'O'. With the 1-Year there is the requirement to leave Thailand every 90 days ('visa-run') to come back for the next 90 days stay. By going in/out of the country just before the 1-year is up, people get 15 months from it. As you'll have picked up, right now there are big changes going on, so it's not as easy for experts to give 100% clear answers to everything.