46 embassies and consulates issue travel warnings for Bangkok

webfact

is that the level of your argument? because other governments are corrupt, then Thailand should be no different? there are levels of corruption and I would suggest, if the people of other nations saw the same level of governmental corruption in their own country they too would be on the streets protesting.

No not at all. Tis you who are confused. Democracy and corruption are two different things. Sometimes democracies are corrupt and sometimes not. Being a democracy does not mean being not corrupt.

America for example protested the Vietnam war in the streets and the war monger President did not run for a second term and America elected another man on the promise he would stop the war.

That is how a democracy works. If one does not like it, you have an election and elect a different government.

No, that is how the USA works! besides which Vietnam was a proxy war supposedly against the spread of communism! It was not an internal political power play as in Thailand so is not comparable. coffee1.gif

2nd, the forces that took over the White House started a giant war that cost billions spent with the military industrial complex.

The forces that took over was the Liberal Democrat Vice President.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Greek embassy is reading Thai Visa Forum.

I accused them before for doing nothing constructive to help their citizens.

Congratulations......better late than never!clap2.gif

Greece assuming presidency of the EU on 01 Jan 14 likely had something to do with it.

Democracy and Suicide at its best, do they get to control the Central bank as well....... (Just kidding)

• Like 1

I cannot understand how one nutcase can cause all this mayhem that need to arrest him for his outstanding murder charge and lock him up. This is going to put Thailand back years people will get sick and tired of all the hassle remember the last time when the airport was shut down it took days to get travellers back home no government in the western world would allow a man like Suthep to do what he is doing the guy is just plain crazy and at the end of the day nothing will be achieved, there is no consideration for those in Bangkok forced to close there business down for a week or so and at the end of the day when people do not have the money to make up for loss revenue Suthep will go home where no doubt he has million stashed under his bed.

Millions stashed under his bed? Maybe. Someone told me today he has a whistle and flag factory. Now that would be a great racket to get into.

Especially with all those extra trains we've been promised. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

can someone on the ground in BKK tell me, what's daily life like now? i realize its a big city and i'm sure most of it is totally unaffected by this. has anyone actually personally felt the effects of this so called shutdown?

Yeah sure. I've had to find detours to the office because it's still open and the barricades keep moving back further by the day. Other than this, it's like a Sunday driving each day as there is no traffic.

Not knowing when it will turn bad, each of my family members have packed a 'bugout' bag with documents, cash, and 4 days worth of clothes and food ready to make the sprint for the border.

Crap happens every 3-4 years in this country so it's just another thorn in the foot.

When will the authorities realize the difference between protesting and terrorism?

Once they have figured out, then things may have a chance of getting sorted.

When will the followers of Suthep understand the difference ?

Weird. Now my text is listed under the name ggold. The last part of previous post I mean. Here again, but under my name:

The choice Thai people now have is simple: chose between bad (Suthep and the dems) and superduperbad (shinaclan).

If elect the darling of Isan again the catastrophy will be huge: continuing rice scheme (billions of usd loss per year) and the two trillion infrastructure plan (two trillion for starts, more later).

Two trillion means Thailand will be in huge debt for some 30 years. Not only pay back that huge amount but pay huge interest too. Then main investment will be the highspeed train to China. That money will never ever be earned back by that train line itself.

In short:

- elect superduperbad, the reds and the country will go broke. Many billions will disappear as usual into the pockets of the bad guy in Dubai and his lot.

- elect bad, the dems and the huge debt will not be made. They will instantly stop the rice scheme and not borrow trillions for a train nobody needs or even wants. And the dems can be kicked out later when there's a better alternative.

I hope the elections will be held later. There should be international monitoring against people checking in the ballot box. The dems MUST go up north and tell the people why they want the bad Dubai guy out. That will mean hard hard work. And much less complaining.

Strange your comments change like the weather ....

They all issue these warnings as a matter-of-course!

If they don't and something nasty happens, the Good Citizens from those countries will scream "bloody murder" so the Embassy/Consulate takes the appropriate precaution.

It doesn't mean they really expect blood-letting in the streets, although it is always possible. I was here for both the 1992 and 2006 "Bun Fights" and managed to file News reports abroad. I'm still here and not suffering any ill effects.

Bottom line: Don't go looking for TROUBLE, you might just find it!

Edited by Torrens54

As for the financial implications earler last week 33THB to 1$, now that troubles are esclating the THB is getting stronger?

Erm, more baht to the dollar means it's weakening not strengthening.

As for the financial implications earler last week 33THB to 1$, now that troubles are esclating the THB is getting stronger?

Erm meaning it's now dropping, less than 33 now that troubles have started. Not to worry other people understood.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Erm meaning it's now dropping, less than 33 now that troubles have started. Not to worry other people understood.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Black with red and yellow spots?

NO! They'd just figure you were some exotic rare animal, cut off your testicles, and sell them, your skin, and your fingernails on the black market or try to smuggle you out (if Swampy is still open).

You think, or you know? That would the big news indeed. Where did you hear it? Can you quote some sources? Change like that could lead to eventual reforms here. Not sure what else could lead to reforms.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In addition to the travel advisory from Japan the Japanese Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok has issued a letter signed by officials of 1,500 Japanese companies in Thailand warning about withdrawal and lack of future investment if protests and political upheaval persists.

The Ministry of Tourism, TAT et al might shrug off travel advisories but threats of companies pulling out and potential loss of investment is much harder to ignore.

When foreign companies are threatening to pull out of Thailand then that is bad news, it could mean that they are expecting the fall of the country.

Please give your source of this information, because I have searched for this on line and have not been successful is finding any sources whatsoever.

Channel News Asia

Flying into Swampy next Thursday. How can I find out where the exact protest sites are so I can avoid them? There are many and varied opinions on this situation, but at the end of the day I'm thinking that if I use a little common sense I will be okay. And I WILL be leaving the yellow and red shirts at home!

I think the Greek embassy is reading Thai Visa Forum.

I accused them before for doing nothing constructive to help their citizens.

Congratulations......better late than never!clap2.gif

So you're controlling the Greek government from outside the country. That will never do. biggrin.png

In addition to the travel advisory from Japan the Japanese Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok has issued a letter signed by officials of 1,500 Japanese companies in Thailand warning about withdrawal and lack of future investment if protests and political upheaval persists.

The Ministry of Tourism, TAT et al might shrug off travel advisories but threats of companies pulling out and potential loss of investment is much harder to ignore.

Not just the Japanese, do not forget the Americans and other countries who have factories in Thailand, holding back on future investment or pulling out of Thailand is going to hurt, and the people it is going to hurt the most are the corrupt members of Thai government and society who receive big backhanders.

Funny (or not so) how those big multi-international tax dodging companies can get round their policies on ethics.

Bullocks! Try thinking for once instead of spewing retoric.

Not just the Japanese, do not forget the Americans and other countries who have factories in Thailand, holding back on future investment or pulling out of Thailand is going to hurt, and the people it is going to hurt the most are the corrupt members of Thai government and society who receive big backhanders.

Funny (or not so) how those big multi-international tax dodging companies can get round their policies on ethics.

ummm

The Japanese Chamber of Commerce (JCC) has issued a statement expressing concern about the prolonged political turmoil in Thailand, saying the country is on the verge of losing credibility in the eyes of foreign investors.

"We have significant concerns about the current prolonged turmoil during a transition period in the Thai economy," Susumu Uneno, president of JCC Bangkok, said in the statement yesterday. "Japanese companies have been working closely with Thailand for a long time towards economic development. We hope this situation is settled soon and stability is restored."

Investment from Japan including from JCC Bangkok members accounts for 60% of foreign direct investment in the country

"Japan and Thailand have a very close relationship politically and economically," said the statement.

The JCC expects Thais will try to solve this confusion by peaceful and democratic means so the country will not lose its credibility among investors."

Edited by englishoak

ummm

The Japanese Chamber of Commerce (JCC) has issued a statement expressing concern about the prolonged political turmoil in Thailand, saying the country is on the verge of losing credibility in the eyes of foreign investors.

"We have significant concerns about the current prolonged turmoil during a transition period in the Thai economy," Susumu Uneno, president of JCC Bangkok, said in the statement yesterday. "Japanese companies have been working closely with Thailand for a long time towards economic development. We hope this situation is settled soon and stability is restored."

Investment from Japan including from JCC Bangkok members accounts for 60% of foreign direct investment in the country

"Japan and Thailand have a very close relationship politically and economically," said the statement.

The JCC expects Thais will try to solve this confusion by peaceful and democratic means so the country will not lose its credibility among investors."

Near 50 countries now--But some people take this lightly, imagine the uproar in the UK if this happened. It would be curtains TORIES.

• Like 1

I live in the South and was assaulted at a market by Suthep's black shirt goons who were screaming at me that all farangs were Thaksin/Yingluck lovers. Welcome to Germany 1933.

Which city was this?

Not many farang here so I'd rather not say directly. Suffice to say it's generally regarded as the 2nd wettest place in Thailand after Ranong and is a bastion of the black shirts. A town where Hitler and swastika t-shirts are de rigueur.

I live in the South and was assaulted at a market by Suthep's black shirt goons who were screaming at me that all farangs were Thaksin/Yingluck lovers. Welcome to Germany 1933.

Which city was this?

Not many farang here so I'd rather not say directly. Suffice to say it's generally regarded as the 2nd wettest place in Thailand after Ranong and is a bastion of the black shirts. A town where Hitler and swastika t-shirts are de rigueur.

I don't believe you.

• Like 1

Which city was this?

I don't believe you.

Ok. Maybe it's the 3rd wettest.

Which city was this?

I don't believe you.

Ok. Maybe it's the 3rd wettest.

If you really got attacked it would make international news.

Uhu, so every assault on a foreigner is immediately broadcasted on the evening news. Which world do you live in?

Down in the south, I witnessed every week, assault on Thais and foreigners alike. Everything from stealing their bikes, wallets to brawls that got out of hand. Haven´t seen that in the news so far.

My guess is that you knew that already, hard to admit that you don´t know everything, ain't it?

Edited by maxme

Uhu, so every assault on a foreigner is immediately broadcasted on the evening news. Which world do you live in?

Down in the south, I witnessed every week, assault on Thais and foreigners alike. Everything from stealing their bikes, wallets to brawls that got out of hand. Haven´t seen that in the news so far.

My guess is that you knew that already, hard to admit that you don´t know everything, ain't it?

The poster said he was attacked for political reasons because he was a Farang. Man bites dog yes that is major news and would make BBC.

The post you chose to ignore, "was assaulted at a market by Suthep's black shirt goons who were screaming at me that all farangs were Thaksin/Yingluck lovers." Yes Max that would hit the bigtime if true.

• Like 1