Valve saver fluid for lubricating LPG.

NoshowJones

I was using 'Flash Lube' for putting into the small holder fitted into my engine compartment to lubricate the engine when it is in LPG mode. This is the system where you do not have to use petrol to lubricate the engine. The LPG garage which fitted it does not supply it any more. Does anyone know of another valve saver fluid I can use, and tell me where to get it? The small petrol stations in my village do not have any.

I take it that the luber injects some sort of oil into the propane gas stream - correct ?

Wonder what they are lubricating ?

Only thing I can think of would be fuel injector cleaner - keeps deposits from forming on the back side of intake valves and keeps combustion chamber clean.

I use this in my FI vehicles and it works well - never been a big fan of additives but have seen first hand that this does work.

I take it that the luber injects some sort of oil into the propane gas stream - correct ?

Only thing I can think of would be fuel injector cleaner - keeps deposits from forming on the back side of intake valves and keeps combustion chamber clean.

I use this in my FI vehicles and it works well - never been a big fan of additives but have seen first hand that this does work.

Upper Cylinder Lubricant.

Have a read here http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-fluid.html

All I know is it lubricates the engine, which means you never have to use petrol at any time. You are running on LPG 100% of the time.

Upper Cylinder Lubricant.

Have a read here http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-fluid.html

Yes, that is what I have been using with great success. but the guy who fitted it does not have any anymore. he told me through an interpreter that I should get Autolube. But where?

Only thing the additive does is lubricate the valve stems and protects valve seats. Has no effect on the other engine parts.

Yes Trans, I have been using it for the last 18 months, with great success, and now I'm looking for something similar. Have you heard of Autolube?

Only thing the additive does is lubricate the valve stems and protects valve seats. Has no effect on the other engine parts.

Yes Trans, I have been using it for the last 18 months, with great success, and now I'm looking for something similar. Have you heard of Autolube?

No....The most cost effective supplement in the UK was made by Castrol, don't know if you can buy it here. Don't think so as we wanted it Naam's Jag.

Possum,

Put 4l -4.5 l of diesel in a container and bung in 1/2 litre of 2-stroke oil. Just give it a good shake. It is about the same viscosity as the Flashlube stuff so no adjustment necessary

There is a downside. Diesel is not very nice if you get it on your hands clothing etc .because it doesn't evaporate the the smell never goes away.

If you are careful it works OK. 140,000-isk Km so far although for the last 10,000 I have been using DIY Seafoam which is 80% diesel, so the same really.

Check where the tubing goes. Mine was installed on a vacuum fitting on the manifold so probably did well for one cylinder but maybe not so good for the others...

Edited by VocalNeal

Possum,

Put 4l -4.5 l of diesel in a container and bung in 1/2 litre of 2-stroke oil. Just give it a good shake. It is about the same viscosity as the Flashlube stuff so no adjustment necessary

There is a downside. Diesel is not very nice if you get it on your hands clothing etc .because it doesn't evaporate the the smell never goes away.

If you are careful it works OK. 140,000-isk Km so far although for the last 10,000 I have been using DIY Seafoam which is 80% diesel, so the same really.

Check where the tubing goes. Mine was installed on a vacuum fitting on the manifold so probably did well for one cylinder but maybe not so good for the others...

I may try that as a last resort, but there must be something I can use to replace the Flash-Lube.

Why don't you try WD40. You should be able to buy it in 1 litre or quart bottles at industrial supply places.

I would be reluctant to just try something in case it does not work and causes damage. Yes, I have seen WD40. Has anyone else used it? does it work?

Possum,

Thanks, but I don't think I fancy that at all. There must be something I can use the same way as I used Flash-Lube.

Why don't you try WD40. You should be able to buy it in 1 litre or quart bottles at industrial supply places.

WD-40 is more expensive than diesel. I did buy 4l once and I think I may still have another can downstairs in the workshop.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok use 2-stroke oil.

I may try that as a last resort, but there must be something I can use to replace the Flash-Lube.

If you want something simple just use Shell Advance 2-stroke oil. Available at all Shell stations. You could use any kind but Advance is the better one commonly available in Thailand.

BTW Diesel is an oil. Porshe used to use it as lubricant in the early days of racing as it is ultra low viscosity and therefore low drag in a wet sump engine. It can also be used as an engine flush.

Edited by VocalNeal

Have a look at this archived thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/214948-lpg-flashlube-additive-to-avoid-valve-seat-recession-vsr/ quality 2-stroke or diesel maybe?

Thanks Crossy, I had a look, but I am frightened to try these things in case I make a mess of it. I am not mechanically minded at all. I thought all I had to do was buy the Flash-lube and put it in the little bottle I have in the engine compartment.

Generally this is for vehicles that do not have hardened valve seats which as a rule of thumb is vehicles that are pre-unleaded. what year model is the vehicle ?

I'm not sure, but it is over twenty years old.

What vehicle is it ?

Its a Toyota Corona 1600 automatic about 25 years old.