Mondays – Dicey Reilly’s Burger

InspirePattaya

Today I visited Diceys to catch up with an old friend, Matt Fryar, Matt has previously worked at Sheraton Pattaya and also in the Maldives at a hotel there, he has now come back again to Pattaya to take up the position here as who the director of operations at the Marriott.

The Marriott is Pattaya's oldest hotel, with Royal cliff being the oldest, the Marriott have kept the hotel and surrounding grounds in very good condition for its 30 years of service. With recent additions to Dicey's of a courtyard area in front which is proving very popular amongst tourists. The hotel is also experiencing up to 100% occupancy; some of the highest levels in a number of years.

Matt and I were greeted by John Manley, the F&B manager for the Marriott, who gave us a quick overview of their new promotion of a burger meal deal that uses Australian beef. It comes with chips and a soft drink for 149 baht or 199 baht with a pint of Chang Beer.

Matt suggested we try the Chicken tenders as an starter;well a huge plate of tenders came, which on its own, is a meal for most.

chicken_tenders_entree.jpg

The Tenders were delicious, the chicken was as soft as butter.

The Main course then came out, the burger, with cheese, onions, tomato and lettuce on the side to add as you like it, it was served with fries.

burger_1.jpg

I then put the burger together as I like it and it was very good, the beef was very tender and well seasoned, as good as the best burger anywhere in Pattaya.

burger_2.jpg

So, if you are looking for a well priced meal, in a lovely old style pub, then Dicey's is one place I would recommend.

Today I visited Diceys to catch up with an old friend, Matt Fryar, Matt has previously worked at Sheraton Pattaya and also in the Maldives at a hotel there, he has now come back again to Pattaya to take up the position here as who the director of operations at the Marriott.

The Marriott is Pattaya's oldest hotel, with Royal cliff being the oldest, the Marriott have kept the hotel and surrounding grounds in very good condition for its 30 years of service. With recent additions to Dicey's of a courtyard area in front which is proving very popular amongst tourists. The hotel is also experiencing up to 100% occupancy; some of the highest levels in a number of years.

Matt and I were greeted by John Manley, the F&B manager for the Marriott, who gave us a quick overview of their new promotion of a burger meal deal that uses Australian beef. It comes with chips and a soft drink for 149 baht or 199 baht with a pint of Chang Beer.

Matt suggested we try the Chicken tenders as an starter;well a huge plate of tenders came, which on its own, is a meal for most.

chicken_tenders_entree.jpg

The Tenders were delicious, the chicken was as soft as butter.

The Main course then came out, the burger, with cheese, onions, tomato and lettuce on the side to add as you like it, it was served with fries.

burger_1.jpg

I then put the burger together as I like it and it was very good, the beef was very tender and well seasoned, as good as the best burger anywhere in Pattaya.

burger_2.jpg

So, if you are looking for a well priced meal, in a lovely old style pub, then Dicey's is one place I would recommend.

Good report and the food certainly looks good. A couple points...can you get your friend to explain to the thai chefs that the cheese is placed on the burger DURING cooking and served melted. It is NOT a condiment put on after cooking like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc. How the Thais ever got it in their heads to serve it the way they do and you show is beyond me.

Also, about how big is the beef paddy...it can't be too big for that price? (In your pics it's mostly subsumed within the bun.) Finally, is this only a Monday promotion or is that the normal burger price?

Agree the Marriott is a nicely maintained property and their pool-garden area is very nice. Land was cheap decades ago so all the older hotels have loads if "wasted" land on large pools, gardens, and extensive landscaping. Most of the new places have barely any if the above at all.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Good report and the food certainly looks good. A couple points...can you get your friend to explain to the thai chefs that the cheese is placed on the burger DURING cooking and served melted. It is NOT a condiment put on after cooking like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc. How the Thais ever got it in their heads to serve it the way they do and you show is beyond me.

Also, about how big is the beef paddy...it can't be too big for that price? (In your pics it's mostly subsumed within the bun.) Finally, is this only a Monday promotion or is that the normal burger price?

They F&B Manager has instructed them to serve it this way as some people do not want cheese, you can request it melted on the burger if you want, but for ease and consistency, they serve it as a DIY burger.

The Burger is 160gm, which is around standard size or a bit more for a meal of this type.

They also have a nice Carvery of a Sunday for 350 baht which I will be checking out soon on recommendation from a freind.

Call me a cynic and tell me TV has NO relationship with The Marriott in Pattaya ????

I really do not believe I have ever read such a biased review that wasn't paid for or written by Doc C in the Pattaya mail.

Edited by bazmlb
Comment re Moderation removed

They F&B Manager has instructed them to serve it this way as some people do not want cheese, you can request it melted on the burger if you want, but for ease and consistency, they serve it as a DIY burger.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a hamburger and a cheeseburger? Seems a little daft, not to mention wasteful, to always include the cheese for people who may not want it.

• Like 1

Looks more like a lettuce burger with some beef paddy condiment.

And another thing...it's completely upside down! Everybody knows that that the condiments, like lettuce and tomatoes, goes ON TOP of the burger not the other way around. The Thai food stylist used here needs to get a clue.

Indeed. Should send them this as a guide....

attachicon.gifreal burger.JPG

Condiments are seasoning for food,such as Salt and Pepper!

Call me a cynic and tell me TV has NO relationship with The Marriott in Pattaya ????

I really do not believe I have ever read such a biased review that wasn't paid for or written by Doc C in the Pattaya mail.

Thaivisa have NO relationship with Marriot, Dicey's or its parent group, the food at the networking function last Friday was also very good, I have only seen better at last years Christmas networking function at the Amari.

If you do not believe the burger is as good as I say, try it yourself or wait until others post about it and the quality.

Thaivisa have NO relationship with Marriot, Dicey's or its parent group, the food at the networking function last Friday was also very good, I have only seen better at last years Christmas networking function at the Amari.

There may be no direct relationship between ThaiVisa and Marriot/Diceys etc, but there is definitely a relationship between ThaiVisa and Inspire, who themselves have the job of promoting Dicey's and several other similar places around town. So that would be a roundabout relationship in my book.

I've sampled many different meals at Dicey's (including Sunday lunch, the Indian buffet that no longer exists sad.png , and Christmas and New Year specials, but never burgers etc which I do not like at all) and found it to be above average for pub food and reasonably priced (apart from the water) but not sensational (what pub is?). But if you have only had better than them once then I am indeed sorry for you.

But if you have only had better than them once then I am indeed sorry for you.

The best I have had, or which is just my likes, is the Cajun burger at the Dukes in Chiang Mai, yes they are a sponsor, but it is a real good burger none the less.

Where else do you know of that has a good burger, there are 8 restaurants on the Inspire promotion (149 baht burger and soft drink, 199 baht burger and a Chang), so I guess I may find another as good or better to my likes.

The best I have had, or which is just my likes, is the Cajun burger at the Dukes in Chiang Mai, yes they are a sponsor, but it is a real good burger none the less.

Where else do you know of that has a good burger, there are 8 restaurants on the Inspire promotion (149 baht burger and soft drink, 199 baht burger and a Chang), so I guess I may find another as good or better to my likes.

I wasnt aware that your comment was only relating to burgers as you seemed to be referring to all Dicey's food. As I mentioned, I dont eat burgers at all, ever, so my comments were all to do with the other food that they do that I have tried (namely the things I listed).

So for all I know they do indeed do the best burger in Pattaya. Their other food (that I have tried) is certainly not the best available here but as pub food goes it isn't bad at all and is fair value for money. If it wasn't for the water price rip-off I would surely still go there from time to time.

Well I tried the Dicey burger deal today and the first burger they served me was almost raw inside , not even medium cooked imo , so I asked them to prepare a new one , so remember to tell them if you want medium or well done burgers.

It was very tasty , so I enjoyed it , the cheese came as a side with tomatoes, onion and salad, would have preferred it to be melted cheese so next time I will ask them to prepare it .

So a nice burger meal with a big pint of Chang for 199 baht , good value.

• Like 1

I wasnt aware that your comment was only relating to burgers as you seemed to be referring to all Dicey's food. As I mentioned, I dont eat burgers at all, ever, so my comments were all to do with the other food that they do that I have tried (namely the things I listed).

So for all I know they do indeed do the best burger in Pattaya. Their other food (that I have tried) is certainly not the best available here but as pub food goes it isn't bad at all and is fair value for money. If it wasn't for the water price rip-off I would surely still go there from time to time.

It was meant for Burgers, best basic/standard burger (whatever that is, some places have cooked onion, some raw, so we won't go into "what" a burger is), I enjoyed it. The best Aussie style burger I have had was at a small beer bar, it had all the trimmings expected on an Aussie burger.

I will be trying the other venues as I can, I have already put on 8kg in recent months after getting married, but I did need it, so there probably wont be more than 2 venues visited per week.

Wednesday is Burger day at Punch n Judy, opposite Caddy Shack.