Proof of Address for Driver License Renewal (2nd Attempt)

waters

Hi All,

Have searched, and read the forums, as well as posted previously.

I have a 1 year motorcycle and 1 year car driving license that I am going to renew for 5 years (each).

I don't currently have a work-permit - and am going to use the 'letter from the embassy' route for proof of address.

Wondering if anyone can say what a) the Canadian Embassy will need to issue a proof of address letter, and B) whether the letter needs to be translated into Thai for the transportation office and c) whether I need a letter for each license?

We've tried calling both our Embassy, and the DLT and are finding it tough to get through to either.

I'm currently living here with my Thai wife on a Non-O (Thai spouse) 1 year multiple entry Visa (with 90 day in/out. Not the 1 year extension).

Thoughts?

I renewed my 5yr recently in C Rai

All that was required was a letter from immi

My wife handed the usual friendly officer 200baht "tip for immediate servce in a very vbusy office ,previously it was provided free as there seems to be no set fee.

I realize Immi is tricky during present period but a far cheaper alternative I'd imagine than embassy.

Ironically of course I did hold a valid Thao government document with my address (my old licence)

Good luck pm if you need any more info re Changwat C Rai,I'm on my 3rd licence,my wifr life my latest is 6 years (yes I know they are supposed to be 1 or 5 but I'm not argiung.

Dependent upon which immigration office you use live near you may be able to get a certificate of residence from immigration. They are free or up to about 300 baht there.

Just some basic proof of address should be all you need for the embassy since you will be doing statutory declaration.

Whether you need the declaration translated or not will depend upon which DL office you go to.

One should be enough since you will be doing both at the same time.

Not a Canadian but do have Google:

From Emabssy website:

Thai Drivers Licence

The Department of Land Transport is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and issuance of drivers and motorcycle licences in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Drivers Licence, Canadians will require the following:

A completed application form,

A valid passport,

A valid non-immigrant visa (and work permit),

Canadian drivers licence and photocopy,

Doctors certificate,

Two photos (1") and,

A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the Embassy of Canada)

A fee of 105 Baht

Copy of work permit may be requested

For the declaration of residency, the Embassy requires applicants to produce proof of residency by showing at least one document with their name and address, such as a letter or bill from a utility company, bank, hospital, etc.

• Like 2

PoorSucker - as I mentioned above - I do not have a work-permit.

asiaexpat, ubonjoe - thanks! That's very helpful. If a utility bill is all that's need - I'm good to go, although I'll take extra docs along just in case.

We'll also try to call the DL in Bangkok again on Monday to see if they need a translated version.

Will post an update when I'm done.

PoorSucker - as I mentioned above - I do not have a work-permit.

asiaexpat, ubonjoe - thanks! That's very helpful. If a utility bill is all that's need - I'm good to go, although I'll take extra docs along just in case.

We'll also try to call the DL in Bangkok again on Monday to see if they need a translated version.

Will post an update when I'm done.

You don't need a work permit.

You don't need anything from your Embassy.

You need a proof of address from Thai Immigration as well as the usual copies of passport, visa, photos, old licences etc. Make sure you apply within the 30 days of expiry of your one year licences. DON'T go before they expire or you get another one year.

EVERYTHING you need to know is on the attached pdf file in easy English. And all you need as evidence of proof of address for Immigration is a utilities bill, a lease document, or even just a simple letter from your condo or hotel stating that you live there. I think I even got my first one with just a business card from a hotel but they're bit tighter now.

thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf

Edited by Gsxrnz

Thanks Gsxrnz! I'll be going to my embassy to get my proof of residency - it's closer and more convenient at the moment.

They'll probably charge you an arm and a leg. I'm not familiar with the Canuck Embassy, but I know somebody who got one page document notarised at the Aussie Embassy last week and he paid 1,500 baht. Immigration will charge 300 baht.

But as they say , up to you. smile.png

You can get your letter or residence certificate from either your embassy or immigration. The cost tends to be 1000-3000 Baht from embassies and free - 500 Baht from immigration offices. The embassy letter just says Mr Waters is an ex-member of Pink Floyd and states he resides on the dark side of the moon, etc.

If you are only on a tourist visa, you won't get the 5 year licence just another 1 year licence.

Just do not deal with BKK monkeys and go to Pattaya as an hotel name card is enough there...

I disagree, I found Bankok DLT (the one near Chatachuck) much easier to deal with than Pattaya. Both of which will require either a Residency certificate from either your Embassy or Thai Immigration

tI did it last week in Kalasin, work permit copy of passport and to see the passport, car drivers one year trying to get extension for 5 years, New passport, but full of Non b's etc. I did not have my passport with me., but copies. Car license for 5 years from one.

I went back the following day and had a woman tell me I needed a medical certificate,and copies of 3 pages in my passport, I was back in one hour , did the light test paid the 605 Baht, all in about 20 minutes,..

Just do not deal with BKK monkeys and go to Pattaya as an hotel name card is enough there...

I disagree, I found Bankok DLT (the one near Chatachuck) much easier to deal with than Pattaya. Both of which will require either a Residency certificate from either your Embassy or Thai Immigration

Yes, some believe in god also. I am not talking about what I think, I am telling facts and saying opposite is ridiculous.

Yes, some believe in god also. I am not talking about what I think, I am telling facts and saying opposite is ridiculous.

I have gotten a 5 year drivers license from both Bangkok DLT and Pattaya DLT and my experience was that Bangkok was much easier. This, unlike the belief in god, is fact based upon experience

With a work permit you don't need a proof of residency.

Copies of relevant pages of your WP is enough.

You will need double of every copy for two licenses.

Moved to the motor forum.

Yes but then the address on your license will probably be the address on your WP. What if you change your place of work within the validity of your license (very likely for most of us?) I'd still bring along another proof of residency as otherwise you may have a tough time negotiating with the officials at the land transport department about what to write on your license. Although you might not care, but I don't think a work address belongs on any personal ID. Only a residential address should be put on there and consequently, unless you have your residential address on your WP (unlikely) I'd still shell out for a proof of residency. That's what I'm about to do in order to change my 1-year license to a 5-year license very shortly despite being in possession of a WP.

I previously had my work address in my motorcycle title deed and in order to make changes I had to go all the way to another part of town 70km from where I live, which was very inconvenient because I normally have no reason to go to that part of Bangkok.

With a work permit you don't need a proof of residency.

Yes but then the address on your license will probably be the address on your WP.

I have done both.

Renewed for five year with WP and with letter from immigrations.

With letter from immigrations they wrote my address on backside, with WP they left it blank.

Update - the Bankok DLT office (the one near Chatuchak) is currently closed thanks to the demonstrations near Lad Prao.

I went to the DLT on Sukhumvit Soi 62 (Bang Chak BTS).

There's a clinic right next to Bang Chak BTS - exit 2 - 80 Baht - and you have a medical certificate.

The DLT is off of Exit 3 - continue down Sukhumvit and into the DLT - a long driveway into the office.

Earlier in the morning I received my affidavit for proof of address from the Canadian embassy. All that was needed was a couple of utility bills (as a previous poster mentions) and my passport. 1,500 Baht - ouch - but fast, and also close.

At the DLT - all that was needed to renew my 1 year licenses (motorcycle and car) for 5 year licenses was:

1) Two copies of my photo passport page

2) Two copies of my medical certificate

3) Two copies of my address affidavit (English was fine - it did not need to be translated)

I needed two of everything because I have two licenses - motorcycle and car.

All I had to do on the application form, was write my name at the top - the staff there took care of everything else.

Because of the Chatuchak office closure, it was VERY busy and it took me from 10:30am to 3pm to finish.

You submit your app, are given a queue number, and then wait for the tests - traffic light color, braking test, parallax test, and peripheral vision test.

Once the tests are done, you wait to pay, and then go to the station where you'll have your picture taken and your new plastic license printed. It's 500 Baht plus service charge for a car license, and 250 baht plus a service charge for motorcycle. My total came to 1,050 Baht for the two.

Hope this helps.

Edited by waters

Since you're married to a Thai woman, I'll guess that you're living in a house for which she holds the blue Tabien Baan.

In that case, take your wife, the TB and a copy of Immigration form TM30 - downloadable from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download - along to your LOCAL police station. Your wife should already, by law, have notified the local police that an "alien" - you - lives at her address. She just repeats that notification on this form, which will show your name, passport number & other details and it's then signed & stamped by the police officer on duty. No trip to immigration or Embassy needed - everything's done in your own town. Then take that along to the DLT with all the other docs. They might even have the TM30 at the police station.

This should also work if you have a landlord who holds the TB. Just ask for him/her to accompany you to the police station to make the declaration. If they're reluctant, just remind them that there are severe penalties for not reporting an "alien" living in their property.

Since you're married to a Thai woman, I'll guess that you're living in a house for which she holds the blue Tabien Baan.

In that case, take your wife, the TB and a copy of Immigration form TM30 - downloadable from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download - along to your LOCAL police station. Your wife should already, by law, have notified the local police that an "alien" - you - lives at her address. She just repeats that notification on this form, which will show your name, passport number & other details and it's then signed & stamped by the police officer on duty. No trip to immigration or Embassy needed - everything's done in your own town. Then take that along to the DLT with all the other docs. They might even have the TM30 at the police station.

This should also work if you have a landlord who holds the TB. Just ask for him/her to accompany you to the police station to make the declaration. If they're reluctant, just remind them that there are severe penalties for not reporting an "alien" living in their property.

I thought notifying of address is a requirement, not a law or involving severe penalties, if it is it's the first I have heard of it.

I thought notifying of address is a requirement, not a law or involving severe penalties, if it is it's the first I have heard of it.

And Me.

From another thread on TVF and quoting the Immigration Act of 24th. February 2522:-

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Note the use of the word "must" on line 2, implying compulsion, not an option.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival.

Maybe the use of the word "severe" was OTT, but penalties can be applied. Some landlords might need their arm twisting a bit & the penalty is your lever to get them to cooperate.

Edited by MartinL

From another thread on TVF and quoting the Immigration Act of 24th. February 2522:-

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Note the use of the word "must" on line 2, implying compulsion, not an option.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

Maybe the use of the word "severe" was OTT, but penalties can be applied. Some landlords might need their arm twisting a bit & the penalty is your lever to get them to cooperate.

Fair call but this is Thailand, you sound like you worry too much, something that written 35 years ago probably has been forgotten. biggrin.png

I went to Kap Choeng immigration for proof of address and got charged ฿500.- plus 4 hours driving.

I was told that the local police station was supposed to do this for free so off we went for the full license. Two hours wait, one of which we initially thought was a friendly opportunity to sit down in comfort and then realised that it was a holding cell! The man turns up, farts around a bit trying to find a fault in our papers, then suddenly, I get fingerprinted! He takes a photo off me and sticks it on a document and asks how much money I have. I told him, nervously, ฿800.- (a lie) and so he took that, glancing into my wallet. He was a high ranking police officer and had a gun, so you do what you're told. I know that aliens are supposed to announce their presence at their police station, so I assume that this is what I was doing from his point of view.

Nice guy, he promised to come and visit me some time, which I am really looking forward to of course.

So don't go to the police station unless you know someone.