Ripped off by Thai website, where to report?

pancakeman

I placed an order for some computer parts on a Thai (Bangkok) ecommerce site a few weeks ago with 1-2 day delivery.

The next day they turned their website offline, after a week of trying to contact them they emailed me to say they would send my stuff, another week on and that has still not happened and no response from them.

It appears they have basically just taken the money (deposited to their bank account) and run off with it....

Is there any department to report these kind of crimes in Thailand? Not really expecting to get any money back, but feel stupid just doing nothing.

you're not going to get your money back, but you might help the police chat the people.

there is this type of story in the news where the police catch someone that's go bank books full of cash scamming Thai's.

• Like 2

Same sort of thing happened to me on a Thai medicine website. Their domain expired (and was not renewed) 2 days after I'd paid. Sent many messages to the email address of the domain name holder but no replies. Baht 300 lost. Not enough to warrant making a fuss over. Next time I'll insist on cash-on-delivery.

Try a whois search on the domain. It could be that it is registered on their name directly if they didn't used any service to disguise.

Was there any address listed on the site which you can visit?

Try to check in Pantip, Zeer Rangsit or such if you can find this company.

I would say you can list your complaint with the police, but don't expect anything from it.

Good luck.

Yes.....you can report it to the police, the government, the senate........it will take you nowhere, unfortunately.

This is Thailand, my friend.

At least, you got some satisfaction by reporting it to TVF.

Sympathise with you.sad.png

Morale for all other, still in the loop for possible buying off a Thai website. By now you should really have understood.

Yess, not all are the same. We could start an argument here again.

Fact is, there are too may dishonest and crook people around and what makes it worse, if it hits you, you're all on your own.

Full stop.

Go and buy from an halfway reputable shop. next time

Deposited to their SCB bank account

The bank has all the info of the account holder (address, phone, national ID number and more...), the police can get a judge to order the bank to disclose that info.

You are joking, aren't you. TITs 'n TATs here!

File a claim with the Office of the Consumer Protection Board. The link is here and you can download a complaint form:

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Waste of time - BIG times

Filed two with them in the past, they all run down the river. It will all go the normal procedure. at the beginning you think ... WOW and as yo go on, your email will not even be answered any longer, phone calls are answered by a giggling girl and then you hear voices about "Farang" in the background and you waste your money on the call, eventually hanging up and giving up.

These things are only instituted in Thailand to provide jobs for private nail-cleaners and facebook stalkers, etc., and, of course, to mislead the world by showing off - hey, we have it, too. Now we are no longer a developing country.

Don't waste your time. Don't shop online, N E V E R from a Thai online shop!

Do some read-up, do your homework.

I think alot of businesses in Bangkok are closed,We have 2 suppliers in Bangkok and neither are answering their phones this week.

So?

Do you think these shop owners wouldn't send you a reminder - at least - if your payment is overdue?

Why can't they send a notice about their "temporarily" hold on business activity?

Ops, sorry, we don't understand T**i culture, right? We should understand and accept and respect, isn't it?

Go to the police and file a complaint. Maybe many others are in the same situation as you and as you said, doing nothing will not get you anywhere.

Typical generic answer. He is doing something about it, hes asking for assistance on where to complain. Go home troll facepalm.gif

Yes.....you can report it to the police, the government, the senate........it will take you nowhere, unfortunately.

This is Thailand, my friend.

At least, you got some satisfaction by reporting it to TVF.

Sympathise with you.sad.png

"This is Thailand, my friend."

Well not everywhere can be as well run and economically perfect as Greece.

023-0617131539-greek-economy-crisis2.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

File a claim with the Office of the Consumer Protection Board. The link is here and you can download a complaint form:

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll give the shop until next week, if still nothing I'll file a complain there. At least then I can feel like I did something.

Don't want to waste my time sitting at the police station while they push some papers around. It was only a few thousand baht.

I think alot of businesses in Bangkok are closed,We have 2 suppliers in Bangkok and neither are answering their phones this week.

If this was the case they could have just refunded/canceled my order...; as I sent them my bank details and requested a refund after a week or so.

The part that pisses me off is that we are not allowed to even name the company, so they can continue to rip people off if they want.

I was going to order from invadeit.com, but they are in Hua Hin, so i figured delivery would be quicker to use a Bangkok company (i'm in Bangkok). Big mistake.

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll give the shop until next week, if still nothing I'll file a complain there. At least then I can feel like I did something.

Don't want to waste my time sitting at the police station while they push some papers around. It was only a few thousand baht.

If this was the case they could have just refunded/canceled my order...; as I sent them my bank details and requested a refund after a week or so.

The part that pisses me off is that we are not allowed to even name the company, so they can continue to rip people off if they want.

I was going to order from invadeit.com, but they are in Hua Hin, so i figured delivery would be quicker to use a Bangkok company (i'm in Bangkok). Big mistake.

Invade IT is always quite fast they are not the cheapest but I have gotten the best service there and I dont mind paying a bit more. I have even send stuff back for repairs / grantee and it all went great.

Go to the police and file a complaint. Maybe many others are in the same situation as you and as you said, doing nothing will not get you anywhere.

Typical generic answer. He is doing something about it, hes asking for assistance on where to complain. Go home troll facepalm.gif

And I gave him an option what is wrong with that, not meant as a troll post at all.

I suggest you go home yourselfbah.gif

Waste of time - BIG times

Filed two with them in the past, they all run down the river. It will all go the normal procedure. at the beginning you think ... WOW and as yo go on, your email will not even be answered any longer, phone calls are answered by a giggling girl and then you hear voices about "Farang" in the background and you waste your money on the call, eventually hanging up and giving up.

These things are only instituted in Thailand to provide jobs for private nail-cleaners and facebook stalkers, etc., and, of course, to mislead the world by showing off - hey, we have it, too. Now we are no longer a developing country.

Don't waste your time. Don't shop online, N E V E R from a Thai online shop!

Do some read-up, do your homework.

Total crap what you wrote. I bought a lot of things online in THAI SHOPS and never got ripped off. If you buy something online you can got ripped off everywhere in the world. Not only in Thailand. And if you have the bank account from this shop, I am 100% sure, the Police catch they if you report it.

• Like 1

Out of interest did you Google the name of the on line shop to see if there were any reviews.

Before and since your transaction. I have made purchases dozens of times for shops in the

US, Canada, China. This has saved me more than a few times. I have yet to have a problem

but 4-5 of the sites I was looking to purchase at were complete scams. facepalm.gif

This is not specific to Thailand. You should never transfer payment directly to a bank account. There's no way to get your money back in case you're scammed. Only shop on websites where you can pay with credit cards. If that's not an option then the big warning lights should go on.

This is not specific to Thailand. You should never transfer payment directly to a bank account. There's no way to get your money back in case you're scammed. Only shop on websites where you can pay with credit cards. If that's not an option then the big warning lights should go on.

Nonsense, transferring directly to bank account is a common practise in Thailand with smaller businesses. As a sideline, my wife imports and sells English Kids books and all her buyers use bank transfer as does my wife when buying many, many, many :-( things online......She and her customers never had a problem as she hasnt with people claiming 'not to have received goods' also. Its just the way :-)