House in Thailand in g/friends name.

At the time of purchase (Land/House), the registration office most probably, if you were present, asked you to sign

a statement (in thai) certifying that all the money was coming from your gf and from her only.

Then as all said before you're lucky if you get 50%, any thai lawyer can get hands on these sort of documents.

Since they are not married no document would be required and most likely never asked for if her ID card had a thai last name and Miss instead of Missus.

I would advise him to talk to several lawyers. If one will take the case on a contingency fee basis then he knows he has a great case.

As for those that say she is a good lady I would only go as far as she is not as bad as she could be.

Edited by wolfmanjack

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible or not ?

I read somewhere about a guy who owned a house( his proper words), his lady the land, they were engaged in a difficult divorce procedure.

The guy could not enter his house because the lady forbidden him access to her land.

I spoke to a Thai lawyer about this case: He replied that he has recently dealt with a similar case; the male falang bought the house and land freehold with all his money and the girlfriend only had it in her name to enable the falang to 'own' a house in Thailand. She does not hold the beneficial interest in the property - this is the interest of the falang who advanced all money to buy it - this is the same principle in law as a constructive trust in English law.

Normally a trust should be in writing and signed and witnessed much the same as a will should be, but in the absence of writing, the courts will consider imposing or "constructing" a trust in favour of the beneficiary, who is not named in any legally binding written document, but who is IN LAW - the beneficial owner, even if this is not stated on the legal title (which it can't be as it is not allowed for a foreigner to own property in Thailand).

So, what does he need to prove? He only needs to show written evidence (money transfers, copies of receipts etc...) that he advanced all financial consideration to buy the property, and that he did indeed buy the property. If she claims it was a gift, as in all cases of legal proceedings, "he who asserts must prove". If she has no way of proving the property was a gift then she hasn't much hope... Probably, she knows this already, which is probably why she wants to split it 50/50 ... which roughly translates to ... she wants half of something she may have no legal right to have in the first place, so she would like to relieve him of half of the value of his property without going to court and possibly perjuring herself if she untruthfully asserts it is a gift. And I say "if". Only she and he knows the truth, but it is what he or she can prove in court. You can prove advancing funds because there is a clear paper trail, but proving a gift might be more difficult - even witnesses will tell lies in court so they are of little substantial use. Courts usually need something in writing as proof.

At the end of the day, he may want to maintain a good relationship with his ex as she will - 18 years is a long time - but that will not be possible if someone gets cheated here, and if she is trying to cheat him or vice versa, the relationship will count for zero good will in the future ... good luck anyway - both of you!

I can only assume he has physical possession of the property and the documentation, which prevents her selling behind his back.

• Like 1

isnt it time, 21st century and all, that we farangs could finally own 1 piece of land to build our home, on our name so we do not have to be cheated out of everything by some cunning short of long term thai scammer ?

or is this what thailand wants, to enrich the populace trough scamming farangs?

• Like 1

I spoke to a Thai lawyer about this case: He replied that he has recently dealt with a similar case; the male falang bought the house and land freehold with all his money and the girlfriend only had it in her name to enable the falang to 'own' a house in Thailand. She does not hold the beneficial interest in the property - this is the interest of the falang who advanced all money to buy it - this is the same principle in law as a constructive trust in English law.

Normally a trust should be in writing and signed and witnessed much the same as a will should be, but in the absence of writing, the courts will consider imposing or "constructing" a trust in favour of the beneficiary, who is not named in any legally binding written document, but who is IN LAW - the beneficial owner, even if this is not stated on the legal title (which it can't be as it is not allowed for a foreigner to own property in Thailand).

So, what does he need to prove? He only needs to show written evidence (money transfers, copies of receipts etc...) that he advanced all financial consideration to buy the property, and that he did indeed buy the property. If she claims it was a gift, as in all cases of legal proceedings, "he who asserts must prove". If she has no way of proving the property was a gift then she hasn't much hope... Probably, she knows this already, which is probably why she wants to split it 50/50 ... which roughly translates to ... she wants half of something she may have no legal right to have in the first place, so she would like to relieve him of half of the value of his property without going to court and possibly perjuring herself if she untruthfully asserts it is a gift. And I say "if". Only she and he knows the truth, but it is what he or she can prove in court. You can prove advancing funds because there is a clear paper trail, but proving a gift might be more difficult - even witnesses will tell lies in court so they are of little substantial use. Courts usually need something in writing as proof.

At the end of the day, he may want to maintain a good relationship with his ex as she will - 18 years is a long time - but that will not be possible if someone gets cheated here, and if she is trying to cheat him or vice versa, the relationship will count for zero good will in the future ... good luck anyway - both of you!

I can only assume he has physical possession of the property and the documentation, which prevents her selling behind his back.

Sorry but sounds like lawyer speak that can be summed up in a few words.: Give me money and I will fight her for you no matter how long it takes as long you keep paying me......

• Like 1

"i had read many times about Farang being ripped off by Thai females,however as i had been in this relationship for so long,i felt different?"

Yes, all farangs who get ripped off by a thai woman always think: "It doesn't happen to me cos I am more clever than all the morons who get ripped off".

Since you not married her you risk to loose everything, just admit that you are as stupid as all the other farangs, pack your bag and go back to aussie country coffee1.gif

Sorry but sounds like lawyer speak that can be summed up in a few words.: Give me money and I will fight her for you no matter how long it takes as long you keep paying me......

A friend of me divorced his wife in Pattaya a few years ago and hired a good lawyer to help him to get money back for a small house he bought in her name.

After 4 years with a lot of hassle and meetings in court he finally get back 50% of the value of the house, Long story short, wife got 500.000 after the sale, lawyer got 500.000 (salary ans fees) and my friend Gary ended up with nothing. Good luck with your lawyer w00t.gif

• Like 1

isnt it time, 21st century and all, that we farangs could finally own 1 piece of land to build our home, on our name so we do not have to be cheated out of everything by some cunning short of long term thai scammer ?

or is this what thailand wants, to enrich the populace trough scamming farangs?

Scamming farangs is the most profitable business in Thailand, have been since the first farang arrived and will be until the last farang leave clap2.gif

A friend of me divorced his wife in Pattaya a few years ago and hired a good lawyer to help him to get money back for a small house he bought in her name.

After 4 years with a lot of hassle and meetings in court he finally get back 50% of the value of the house, Long story short, wife got 500.000 after the sale, lawyer got 500.000 (salary ans fees) and my friend Gary ended up with nothing. Good luck with your lawyer w00t.gif

That is unfortunately always the risk when taking legal action – you both have the process risk of loosing and paying lawyers; and winning the case, ending up with nothing, or even a bill to your own lawyer to be paid on top of nothing.sad.png

Something smells funny here and it's not me! With all due respect to the OP but I have to say that something doesn't add up. First the OP stated that he was in a relationship with his girlfriend for 15 years and then along the thread somewhere someone making a reply somehow misquoted the OP and said 18 years. Later on the OP then started saying he was in the relationship for 18 years which contradicts his original post. Hum! It makes one wonder...

When i was last at school a long time ago,15 plus 3 was 18>>>>>>

and people, this is what we call the long scam ...

she did not work for 15 years in aussieland? she did not have any penny ?

well now you could be out 100% of yours .... hope it was a small house and not a mansion

Maybe you should read my original post again.....

"i had read many times about Farang being ripped off by Thai females,however as i had been in this relationship for so long,i felt different?"

Yes, all farangs who get ripped off by a thai woman always think: "It doesn't happen to me cos I am more clever than all the morons who get ripped off".

Since you not married her you risk to loose everything, just admit that you are as stupid as all the other farangs, pack your bag and go back to aussie country coffee1.gif

your profile says exactly what i think about this sarcastic comment...b........t

Sounds like she might have been planning to part company before they left Oz. Pure speculation of course, but in year 1 in Thailand he buys a house in Hua Hin and furnishes it - this would take at least a year to do until he felt settled in. She couldn't really pull this stunt the following year as it looks too obviously planned - so to part ways in year 3 is good timing for her (pure speculation of course).

Anyway, this doesn't matter: she promised him she would claim nothing of his property and now she conveniently forgets this in an attempt to con him out of 50% of something he owns 100%. You guys harping on about him being lucky that she is a nice lady or reasonable lady because she is offering him 50% have obviously been brainwashed by western feminism - are you all that deluded? He already owns the property beneficially; she only holds the paper title. She has probably already been to a lawyer, who can see a sticky situation here and advised her to "offer" him half of 100% what is already his. And so what, they were together 15 years in OZ - by the reasoning of many of you guys on here, he should then be entitled to 50% of the proceeds of her business in OZ that she ran for 20 years.

Simple problem here is that she is trying to get her hands on his property when she hasn't contributed to it (maybe she has - who knows); but the only reason she has any claim - obviously an unfair one - is because he can't hold legal title in his own name in Thailand. And I would think any reasonable judge, anywhere would see this. Go to court mate ... you can't lose. That is the advice of a Thai I know.

Firstly thank you for your response.

I really think we both were happy to relocate to Thailand 3 years ago.i rented for a short while,then bought this house,furnished it in a few weeks.the first year was fine,she seemed happy we both met a lot of friends.then late in the 2nd year she started going on more and more temple tours which i have mentioned,not sure when she met this thai lad,but when she went on these tours,she would advise me that she would be back on a certain date,however each tour it got later and later,then when she was here she started getting phone calls all hours of the night,i would ask who was that...a friend she would say,then i actually caught her chatting with him at the side of the house on her phone,when i called to her she sh....t herself,it just got out of control,so i suggested she return to her Restaurant in Australia,she said i have to go on another temple tour to Chang Mai,i said you have just got back from there? she insisted she had to go,obviously to see him,i have since found out she went to his house in b/kok.

So she took off for Australia,i warned her not to have any contact with this lad,or i would walk away.She forgot the phone in the house in Aus is in my name,when i checked she had been calling him daily for long chats,so i ended our relationship.she still calls me says she loves me etc,however i have had enough.she intends visiting here in April,i asked where will you stay,she said here??? not sure what to do on that note.As for her Restaurant in Aus,i mentioned to her will i receive any share of this if ever it is sold,no way she said,i said what about all the work i put into repairs etc at the Restaurant and her house,same reply,not that i would want any of this,but was just annoyed that she forgot about the chat we had before relocating here.grrr.

Yes will see a lawyer for sure,but will wait until her visit here in a few months,maybe ...just maybe she will suddenly realise the comment she made??

I Liked post #90 by BasilBrush500. I recently heard a similar strory from a friend who transferred money to his Thai girlfriends bankaccount for a property pruchase (because he was told he could not open a bank account..)..After the money transfer the girl said thank and kept the money. The lawyer he consulted said the same, she only acted as his agent and the money was never hers to keep.

OP, you did not give the property to her, or did you? she only holds it on your behalf because you could not register ownership You could claim that you are the actual owner (bit illegal, but hey a lot of money is involved?). You could try to negotiate a better deal, it is really not sure for her that she would be allowed by a court to keep the property. You could be deemed the true owner and you will be ordered to sell it within a year.

Sounds like she might have been planning to part company before they left Oz. Pure speculation of course, but in year 1 in Thailand he buys a house in Hua Hin and furnishes it - this would take at least a year to do until he felt settled in. She couldn't really pull this stunt the following year as it looks too obviously planned - so to part ways in year 3 is good timing for her (pure speculation of course).

Anyway, this doesn't matter: she promised him she would claim nothing of his property and now she conveniently forgets this in an attempt to con him out of 50% of something he owns 100%. You guys harping on about him being lucky that she is a nice lady or reasonable lady because she is offering him 50% have obviously been brainwashed by western feminism - are you all that deluded? He already owns the property beneficially; she only holds the paper title. She has probably already been to a lawyer, who can see a sticky situation here and advised her to "offer" him half of 100% what is already his. And so what, they were together 15 years in OZ - by the reasoning of many of you guys on here, he should then be entitled to 50% of the proceeds of her business in OZ that she ran for 20 years.

Simple problem here is that she is trying to get her hands on his property when she hasn't contributed to it (maybe she has - who knows); but the only reason she has any claim - obviously an unfair one - is because he can't hold legal title in his own name in Thailand. And I would think any reasonable judge, anywhere would see this. Go to court mate ... you can't lose. That is the advice of a Thai I know.

Firstly thank you for your response.

I really think we both were happy to relocate to Thailand 3 years ago.i rented for a short while,then bought this house,furnished it in a few weeks.the first year was fine,she seemed happy we both met a lot of friends.then late in the 2nd year she started going on more and more temple tours which i have mentioned,not sure when she met this thai lad,but when she went on these tours,she would advise me that she would be back on a certain date,however each tour it got later and later,then when she was here she started getting phone calls all hours of the night,i would ask who was that...a friend she would say,then i actually caught her chatting with him at the side of the house on her phone,when i called to her she sh....t herself,it just got out of control,so i suggested she return to her Restaurant in Australia,she said i have to go on another temple tour to Chang Mai,i said you have just got back from there? she insisted she had to go,obviously to see him,i have since found out she went to his house in b/kok.

So she took off for Australia,i warned her not to have any contact with this lad,or i would walk away.She forgot the phone in the house in Aus is in my name,when i checked she had been calling him daily for long chats,so i ended our relationship.she still calls me says she loves me etc,however i have had enough.she intends visiting here in April,i asked where will you stay,she said here??? not sure what to do on that note.As for her Restaurant in Aus,i mentioned to her will i receive any share of this if ever it is sold,no way she said,i said what about all the work i put into repairs etc at the Restaurant and her house,same reply,not that i would want any of this,but was just annoyed that she forgot about the chat we had before relocating here.grrr.

Yes will see a lawyer for sure,but will wait until her visit here in a few months,maybe ...just maybe she will suddenly realise the comment she made??

It sounds like she is blinded by greed. She has taken up with another guy and thinks she can take half of your property! Yikes! "Okay dear ... you can have half my house here in Hua Hin and we'll sign this contract for you to split your house in Aus 50/50 with me ... does that sound fair?" See what she says to that. Hope you have all the documents to the house. Of course she could a) mortgage it behind your back; B) sell it behind your back c) and if she doesn't have the deed of title, she could report it lost and get a new one. Check out what steps you can take at the land registry to register your beneficial interest - maybe Thailand has similar ways of registering your interest as Land Registry does in England, UK.

p.s. be careful allowing an ex-Thai girlfriend to stay at your house with all this b/sh*t going on ... and a new (maybe jealous) Thai boyfriend in the mix, who may profit from your loss. Falangs have been murdered for much less ... how much is your house worth in Hua Hin????? If I were you, I'd have changed the locks, added window locks by now and gotten a couple of rottweilers. Let her stay in the house while I'm sleeping - not a chance. Good luck.

I Liked post #90 by BasilBrush500. I recently heard a similar strory from a friend who transferred money to his Thai girlfriends bankaccount for a property pruchase (because he was told he could not open a bank account..)..After the money transfer the girl said thank and kept the money. The lawyer he consulted said the same, she only acted as his agent and the money was never hers to keep.

OP, you did not give the property to her, or did you? she only holds it on your behalf because you could not register ownership You could claim that you are the actual owner (bit illegal, but hey a lot of money is involved?). You could try to negotiate a better deal, it is really not sure for her that she would be allowed by a court to keep the property. You could be deemed the true owner and you will be ordered to sell it within a year.

Thai law is the a foreigner can not own land in Thailand. When the land was purchased an affidavit was signed stating that all monies for the land was her's and not from a foreigner. Therefore your idea would not work, in Thai law it is her land period. Feel bad for the OP, this happens quit a bit, but not limited to Thailand. Does not matter how nice a girl is when money is involved things change. Hell it happens with brothers and sisters when a parent dies and there is allot of money on the table.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i thought i would let the dust settle on my post for a while.

Thank you to those who offered me advice,i have had time to consider my options,i have had a chat with a Lawyer,who suggested that he had many of such cases,outcomes varied,but he felt as most of you have said,if we can sort it all for a 50% share,he advised me to take it.However he advised me to wait and see what her thoughts may be when she arrives here in April,She remains in contact with me from Australia from time to time,she still wishes to continue in a relationship with me,however i feel the damage has been done.

Once again thank you for your support,and good advice.As i have said,i did not enter into this with my eyes closed,after knowing her for so many years,i felt all would be ok.Yes i had read many times of Farang being taken to the cleaners. Call me a fool well that may be your opinion,however i truly believed in this lady.

To some of the others who offered advice to me,i truly hope you enjoyed the laughs,i was not amused,rattled..no not at all,i am too old for that.

If i need a laugh,i will switch on the Comedy chanel

Take care all.

p.s I will keep you posted of the outcome.

while,then bought this house,furnished it in a few weeks.the first year was fine,

she seemed happy we both met a lot of friends.

then late in the 2nd year she started going on more and more temple tours which i have mentioned,not sure when she met this thai lad,but when she went on these tours,

she would advise me that she would be back on a certain date,however each tour it got later and later,

Take notice,

Be careful if your other half gets all religious

And goes on temple tours

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well i thought i would let the dust settle on my post for a while.

Thank you to those who offered me advice,i have had time to consider my options,i have had a chat with a Lawyer,who suggested that he had many of such cases,outcomes varied,but he felt as most of you have said,if we can sort it all for a 50% share,he advised me to take it.However he advised me to wait and see what her thoughts may be when she arrives here in April,She remains in contact with me from Australia from time to time,she still wishes to continue in a relationship with me,however i feel the damage has been done.

Once again thank you for your support,and good advice.As i have said,i did not enter into this with my eyes closed,after knowing her for so many years,i felt all would be ok.Yes i had read many times of Farang being taken to the cleaners. Call me a fool well that may be your opinion,however i truly believed in this lady.

To some of the others who offered advice to me,i truly hope you enjoyed the laughs,i was not amused,rattled..no not at all,i am too old for that.

If i need a laugh,i will switch on the Comedy chanel

Take care all.

p.s I will keep you posted of the outcome.

Thanks for the update was just thinking about you the other day and what the outcome was. Please do keep us posted. Glad you got some good advise, unfortunately here on TV you cant get good advise without all the other crap. Hang in there things may still work out. Sometime people need a break away from each other to give them time to think and realize what they have and what they are losing. If all does not work out. Does not matter if you are here in Thailand or in the west after 15+ years together you should be prepared to lose something. I'm not saying it's fair but nobody ever said like would be fair. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Good luck!

gf has no financial obligations, you give it to her and it's hers.

wife has contractual obligations, what you give to a wife, you can take back on divorce.

What you buy jointly with a wife, you can contractually expect 50% back.

IMHO you are legally entitled to NOTHING.

It seems to be a little known fact......and I say fact as I know of this happening successfully through the courts.....though it took a long time.....that a land sale can be annulled if a non-qualified person provided the funds attempting to be a de facto "owner".

This person can go to the Land Office and say sorry, on becoming better acquainted with the law I now realise I have contravened the rules and I bought some land in my gf's name.

The new ownership can be annulled and six months given (I think?) for sale of the property in which event the provider of the funds receives the sale price. If not sold I believe it goes through the auction process.

Of course you may choose to sell it to another acquaintance and still live there as my friend did.

OP I'm not recommending this to you.....have you not considered providing something for your gf's future?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

It seems to be a little known fact......and I say fact as I know of this happening successfully through the courts.....though it took a long time.....that a land sale can be annulled if a non-qualified person provided the funds attempting to be a de facto "owner".

This person can go to the Land Office and say sorry, on becoming better acquainted with the law I now realise I have contravened the rules and I bought some land in my gf's name.

The new ownership can be annulled and six months given (I think?) for sale of the property in which event the provider of the funds receives the sale price. If not sold I believe it goes through the auction process.

Of course you may choose to sell it to another acquaintance and still live there as my friend did.

OP I'm not recommending this to you.....have you not considered providing something for your gf's future?

What an amazing comment...

Have i not considered providing something for my girlfriends future????? w.t.f.

Firstly she is my EX...

Secondly yes i have considered providing her for her future,50% share of this house.She is well off in Australia,owns a house,and a very well run Restaurant.

What do you suggest i supply her with........for her future......

What an amazing comment...

Have i not considered providing something for my girlfriends future????? w.t.f.

Firstly she is my EX...

Secondly yes i have considered providing her for her future,50% share of this house.She is well off in Australia,owns a house,and a very well run Restaurant.

What do you suggest i supply her with........for her future......

Your opening post suggests you don't want to share 50% of the house and presumably land.

The post I'm now replying to suggests you ARE sharing it.

In which case where's the problem?

ps no need to thank me for the amazing valuable advice I gave in case you DON'T want to share.

Edited by cheeryble