calling all trailblazers - volunteer work day scheduled

boomerangutang

Some of you'all may be familiar with the hill, west of downtown, which borders the Mae Kok river, on the opposite side from 'Pattaya Noi' or 'Chiang Rai beach.' It can be called 'Lion Hill' because of its shape when viewed from the sides, looks like a reclining lion. Locals might refer to is as 'Buddha (Cave) Hill' but that's a default name put upon hundreds of hills in Thailand, when they don't have an actual name. Similar to the name; 'Friendship Bridge' used for every bridge between Thailand and another country.

Anyhow, there is a plan to have that hill become a park, with free access for anyone, Thai or farang. The activity planned for the 'work day' is to continue to clear a couple of paths around it. It is 2.5 KM or 1.5 miles around. There has already been some path building, both by the local municipal folks and by staff from the nearby adventure park.The idea is to start with two paths: One would be for hiking/trekking and essentially 'hugs' the rock. The other, outer path, is designated for bicycles or jogging, but could also be used for hiking. Some of the routes have not even been designated yet, so the project is at its beginning stages.

I've spoken with some locals about it, namely: Joe, a young Thai man who runs the Gold Mine g.h. (the only g.h. nearby). He assures me it's ok to do what we're doing. The local monks, who reside at the west end of the hill, are apprised of the plan and are fine with it. I spoke with a Forestry Dept. worker and he thought it was an interesting idea. The local pu yai ban is ok with the plan, though he mentioned he had plans to do the same "perhaps in 5 years" and hinted that he might want to put a booth there and charge a use-fee (ugh).

IF INTERESTED, MEET: at east end of hill. That's the end on the left, as you approach from Soi 5. Directions from Chiang Rai, go NW out of town on Mae Fa Luang bridge. 1 Km, through Ban Nam Lat, take left at Soi 5. Go 2.5 Km.

3 pm, each Sunday. Bring work gloves. We have some tools, but you're welcome to bring machete or hoe. One job: putting trash in plastic bags. The existing cement path (600 meters) needs sweeping. It could also use some shoring up where it's cracked and about to collapse downhill. Afterwards, possibly do a picnic/campfire around 6 pm.

maplionhillmed.jpg

400 views and no comments. No one interested?

update: been doing some trail clearing, a few hours/week, with a few farang friends, and a hired hand (hill triber). The entire south side has preliminary paths for both hiking (on the inside, mostly alongside the rock faces) and for jogging/bicycling (outer trail). Am about to put a few trash baskets at places where people have thrown trash, to see if it might improve the situation.

Here's a web page which includes photos of some parts of the trail. The photos aren't of the beautiful parts and the views - that would be easy to do, as there are myriad beautiful aspects to the site. Instead, they're showing some things, like delapidated shacks, which could be removed. It also shows two (abandoned?) outhouses which look like they were thrown up in 20 minutes using old canvas posters with stick frames. The photos were taken only on the concrete already-built portion of the trail - which stretches about 1/8th around the hill. Friends of Lion Hill won't be doing any removal of shacks without express permission from authority. Which brings me to another point: it would be helpful to have someone who speaks fluent Thai and English - to assist as a liaison with authoritative locals.

Sample photo of outhouse which sits in plain view. Is it abandoned or still open for use? Should it be taken down? You tell me.

lh-jan%2714-yuk09-sml.jpg

Some people told me they wanted to show up on Sunday, but couldn't make it. A couple showed up, but they must have been waiting at a different spot, because I just got an email to that effect. The meeting place is EAST SIDE of hill. It's the left side of the hill, as you're driving towards it from Boomerang or from Ban Nam Lat. Not at the Buddha Cave side.

As it was, I and a Slovakian friend cleared for about 1.5 hours. There is now a rudimentary/rough hiking trail along the entire south side of the hill. The bicycling/jogging trail for the south side will be relatively easy to clear. It will be a lovely trail, but needs some weed clearing, and a bit of bush-whacking. It won't need any earth moving.

The north side of the hill, near the road, is also ideal for a biking/hiking trail. It will need more work than the south side, but nothing major, like earth moving machinery. Most of the north side trail is flat and needs some leaf raking. A very small bridge will need to be built (the only bridged area in the entire trail) to go over a 60 cm wide drainage ditch. Anyone who wants to build that bridge is welcome to do so. The hiking trail for the north side will be awesome, but will probably be the last sections built. First things first.

Another meeting on this coming Sunday, 3 pm, at EAST side of hill.

I'll be there again, on the East side of the hill, to meet anyone who wants to show up. 3 pm. If you're late, you won't see me. Sunday, Feb.9

If I offered free beer, and loud pop music, there would make it more enticing. To bring in Thais, I could offer free tubes of whitening cream.

The hill is 2.5 Km west on Soi 5 from Ban Nam Lat. BNL is the town just nw of downtown, as you cross the MFL bridge.

GPS: 19.920,99.791

Edited by boomerangutang

Very nice map- and a fantastic idea. I notice that the map is over 2.5 years old, how come it's taken this long to get something going?

I'm not surprised that you haven't had much support. This is 'Kings land right'?? So I guess you would have to get concrete approval before commencing....I don't think a nod from 'Young Joe' & the Monks would suffice. Ans the 'Py yaz ban' said that he may charge- that means he will be charging. And to clear 2.5km of path is not a 'work day'...it's many many many work days. So you're getting people to buy into working very hard over a long period- on something a local Thai guy is going to benefit financialy from? And I hope the locals don't read this, your reference of giving them 'whitening cream' as payment won't go down to well.

Please don't think I'm having a dig for the sake of it. Like I said I think it's a fantastic idea- but just needs a little re-think ...

If the Guy wants to clean up an Area well good look to him. You can volunteer or not as the case maybe.

The Whitening Cream is very big in Thailand, nothing Racist about the comment; It's based on an observation that some Thai people don't like the 'healthy (or not) Sun Kissed complexion. and again it's their choice.

• Like 1

If the Guy wants to clean up an Area well good look to him. You can volunteer or not as the case maybe.

The Whitening Cream is very big in Thailand, nothing Racist about the comment; It's based on an observation that some Thai people don't like the 'healthy (or not) Sun Kissed complexion. and again it's their choice.

Yes like I said - fantastic idea. But he does not want to do it alone- he wants other people to buy into it....And his comment could be seen as racist, to us maybe not, but to the people of this land that are discriminated against because of the darkness of their skin- it would/could be an issue. I'm sure you understand my point.

Very nice map- and a fantastic idea. I notice that the map is over 2.5 years old, how come it's taken this long to get something going?

I'm not surprised that you haven't had much support. This is 'Kings land right'?? So I guess you would have to get concrete approval before commencing....I don't think a nod from 'Young Joe' & the Monks would suffice. Ans the 'Py yaz ban' said that he may charge- that means he will be charging. And to clear 2.5km of path is not a 'work day'...it's many many many work days. So you're getting people to buy into working very hard over a long period- on something a local Thai guy is going to benefit financialy from? And I hope the locals don't read this, your reference of giving them 'whitening cream' as payment won't go down to well.

Please don't think I'm having a dig for the sake of it. Like I said I think it's a fantastic idea- but just needs a little re-think ...

Yes the map was drawn awhile ago. It needs to be re-drawn. The hill is still the same, but the map has South at top, instead of North, because that's how the hill is approached. I'll do another one, with some updates. When a 'workday' is mentioned, it's not with idea of doing everything in one day. It's incremental.

In the past 2.5 years, there has been some trail clearing (by me and Boomerang staff/volunteers), but mostly on the southeast end - to be able to access the cave (different than the Buddha Cave) which can be entered from the south, and exited from the north. Very few locals know about it, perhaps 1 in 5,000. Thais are very easily spooked by ghosts and darkness and reptiles - neither are present in the cave (it has nat'l skylights and bats). I once went there with 3 Thai men who were chaperoning 2 young Brit women. One man didn't stray from the car. Man #2 walked as far as the dirt road would allow, then stopped. The bravest, the 3rd man walked up the path to the cave entrance, but was nearly trembling, and kept begging the girls not to go in, saying there were all sorts of wicked insects and reptiles in there (of course, there aren't).

My mention of whitening cream was not politically correct. Sorry. Bad attempt at humor. Perhaps I should offer enticement to Thais - to assist with the project, by saying something like; "Come and do one or two hours of outdoor work. It's for a free park which will benefit anyone who visits." ....and see how many show up. My guess: zero. Sorry if I sound cynical.

As for getting the full blessing of a Pu Yai Ban: I plan to find someone fluent in Thai and English, to go back and talk with him some more. There are actually 2 pu yai bans (equidistant) and there's the Forestry Dept. as best I can tell. Any one will probably claim it's their jurisdiction, if you asked them. Now that I'm thinking about it, I know a local guy, a friend named Nui, who could assist me.

Bureaucracy aside, I've been going there several times a week recently, and it's got mucho potential. Even if I just go solo and cut some weeds once in awhile, it will be worthwhile to me, as it won't take a whole lot of work to get the outer bicycling trail operational. Mostly raking leaves to indicate where the path is. Armchair pontificators (and others) would do themselves a favor by contacting me and taking a look at the terrain there. It's one amazing hill, if you like soaring rocks and semi-tropical foliage, and magical pathways. Or just go there on your own and check it out.

Interesting day yesterday. 3rd Sunday since 1st mentioning meetings. 2 young Thais showed up and assisted ably. The bigger surprise was that a significant portion of the south side (designated for) bicycle trail was cleared last week. Must have been by locals. I haven't spoken with them, but assume they're clearing for putting up temporary buildings - getting ready for Songkran. They've done some burning, and will likely do some more. I've been wanting to do burning (to clear), but have been holding off. We did some small control burns in prior years, and the improvements are evident. Where there were gnarly 5 meter high weeds that a goat couldn't get through, there are now patches of meadow with flowers.

Next Sunday, 3 pm, maybe c u there.

Met with pu yai ban (village headman; Mr. Damrong) and had a fruitful hour together. I was expecting the older glum guy I had spoken with months ago, but instead it was a younger, more open-minded fellow. He likes the idea, but suggested I write up a proposal for him to present to his constituency. If approved, he indicated he'll mobilize locals to assist with the project. I still plan to meet again with anyone interested in putting in a couple of hours labor, at 3 pm next Sunday, at east side of hill. Also, I'll be glad to walk parts of the proposed path with anyone interested.

• Like 1