Would you swap the current weather for a year round climate for the usual 3 seasons?

HeavyDrinker

I got a ticking off last night from the missus for complaining about the cold.

She said that it's a lot colder in Lancashire than it is here, plus when, in a few weeks, the mercury starts to shoot up, I'll be praying for weather like this...

One of my neighbour's sons is a weather 'geek' and according to him, a truly 'cool' cool season is followed by a red hot, hot season and a soaking wet, early rainy season. The precocious young chap happily showed me reams of stats on his ipad thingy, not one of which I'd claim to have understood before flatly refusing to take Graham for a walk, the lazy pig....

I was out in the garden earlier doing some work, and when the wife bought me a cuppa, plus some toast and marmite, that set me thinking how nice it would be if the weather were like this year round, opposed to the firey heat of the hot season, when even a walk of 20 minutes can reduce one to a swazz infested human puddle, or the vagaries and unpredictability of the wet season where downpours can leave even the best made plans in tatters.

Early autumn I was in the UK. Temperatures between 5 & 9 deg C. I thought it was wonderful, except when working outside. Refreshing breezes too. The odd day of frost.

Compared to the heat in Thailand and the amount of rain here, I welcome going back to the 3 seasons I am used to.

I too hate going out on the hottest days and melting into a puddle, with sweat streaming out of every pore in my body. Though this current cooler weather is great - no fans, no air con on except when in bed or having sex.

• Like 1

I've just been weighing up all the things I've managed to get done, and places I've been to (re-visited mainly) which I've always put off because it's too darned hot, in these past few weeks, the highlight being spending a few days extensive wandering around Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai (good call Guest House) which was sublime...

The only drawback is it's been too cool for swimming but it's not so bad in the afternoon when the sun hits the garden...

Personally I think I'd miss the rainy season. I like it. Especially racing to one of my locals, all set for a few ales as the rain crashes down and a storm blazes overhead...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

The negative : I had to do some work inside the pool today, and when I came out of it the ladies called me Nine inch centimeter Nicky.

The positive : I need to cut the lawn only every 2 weeks instead of weekly.

And water it daily?

This weather is the best......

Small electric bills hugely offsets the higher water bills.

The ability to get a job or two done without ending up as a sweaty exhaused blob.

A cold beer that stays that way a little longer.

• Like 1

--in a few weeks, the mercury starts to shoot up--......... Good just hate this cold.... appear most of my dogs do as well as 4 or 5 of them come up to bed and end up under the duvet, helps a bit to keep me warm

As for -Small electric bills hugely offsets the higher water bills- ?? find myself use more as have to wear more clothes = more washing. use heaters in the Koi ponds, but do not use any fans day or night anywhere in house as so cold

Most of the replies here must be coming coming from up North. As down here in Phuket, while it is not scorching (yet!) it is a tad cooler in the evenings, but not anything dramatic. I'm jealous of the cooler Northern weather. Maybe it's time to take a little holiday and head to Chiang Rai for a few days.

The negative : I had to do some work inside the pool today, and when I came out of it the ladies called me Nine inch centimeter Nicky.

And water it daily?

I don't really get this .

Do you mean that with this cold weather the lawn should be watered more than other periods ?

The weather right now is pretty much perfect.

Cool in the morning, not too hot during daytime, cool in the evenings (cool meaning: 22 degrees!...which would be a nice summer day back home!)

I just love it.

• Like 1

i believe Heavy Drinkers neighbours son is correct,according to the 3 month forecast for northern Thailand on the Thai meterology site,temperatures are set to soar early,they are predicting up to 43c in March,and also more thunderstorm activity than usual,having lived in Australia for 15 years i am no stranger to heat,and before that,i have lived in hong kong,mexico and the uk,at present i am loving this weather,and dreading the heat to come,last year was my first full hot season and i found it unbearable,day after day of 38 to 40c+ and humid,in Australia sure we had hot days or weeks but it was a dry heat and living on the coast,a cool change would always come,but due to where i live here far inland,we do not get that,this year i am thinking of de camping to the islands ,south which are much more reasonable,after all this is why they had places like Simla,and ooty, in India in the days of the raj in India,the other thing is the heat in the house at night,being concrete block it is like a oven,personally if the weather was like it is at present year round i would much prefer it,26c to 28c,to me is a perfect temperature,and the cool nights wonderful,at around 12c min,oh long may it continue,though i am afraid it won't.

-30 to -40 for a good chunk of time in the early winter in my home town neck of the woods (Canada). Here the weather is bloody

marvellous with warm days and cool nights for sleeping. I don't mind the sweltering humid heat with the pool and air conditioning

but this weather year round would be fine as well. As for your weather geek, I do not follow weather patterns in the same way

but I do say averages average out so from year to year there is little change. A wetter than average summer or winter

will be averaged out with a dryer summer or winter. A brutally cold winter is averaged out with a hotter summer, a warmer

winter is averaged out with coolish summer. That has been my experience in Canada. I would not bet the farm on it but

it is accurate like the Farmers Almanac in North America. thumbsup.gif

i believe Heavy Drinkers neighbours son is correct,according to the 3 month forecast for northern Thailand on the Thai meterology site,temperatures are set to soar early,they are predicting up to 43c in March,and also more thunderstorm activity than usual,having lived in Australia for 15 years i am no stranger to heat,and before that,i have lived in hong kong,mexico and the uk,at present i am loving this weather,and dreading the heat to come,last year was my first full hot season and i found it unbearable,day after day of 38 to 40c+ and humid,in Australia sure we had hot days or weeks but it was a dry heat and living on the coast,a cool change would always come,but due to where i live here far inland,we do not get that,this year i am thinking of de camping to the islands ,south which are much more reasonable,after all this is why they had places like Simla,and ooty, in India in the days of the raj in India,the other thing is the heat in the house at night,being concrete block it is like a oven,personally if the weather was like it is at present year round i would much prefer it,26c to 28c,to me is a perfect temperature,and the cool nights wonderful,at around 12c min,oh long may it continue,though i am afraid it won't.

The last time I recall a truly 'cold' cool season here, the rains came in April with a vengeance but it killed the hot season and Songkhran....

For the last 3 years I've visited LoS in March and spent a bit of time in BKK and most of the time in the country side near Korat. For me it is a too hot and humid. I work in hotter regions of the world but in deserts where the humidity is lower and it is much more bearable. I visited Thailand in October/November last year and I thought the temperature was perfect. A few days in Bangkok then up to Phrae province. It was not too hot during the day and just perfect at night. I still needed the air con at night. Before I left I visited my friend near Korat for one day and I noticed the difference in temperature right away. It is at least 2 or 3 degrees warmer in the north east than it was in the north. Since I have left the gf keeps telling me it has got colder in Phrae and she has to wear jumpers as it is so cold. I just send her photos of Scotland with a dump of snow and tell her it's not so bad.

In answer to the OPs question I would love it to be the temperature it was up North in November all year round.

Be careful of what you wish for

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/454657/Ice-age-on-the-way-as-scientists-fear-the-Sun-is-falling-asleep

So now it seems all the global warming was nothing, compared to lack of Sun activity

"A new ice age could be on its way to Europe and some other parts of the Earth following an alarming fall occurred in the performance power of the Sun, scientists have warned"

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/01/20/346654/new-mini-ice-age-may-hit-earth/

Howling cold winds though my condo tonight, maybe its coming quicker than we thought tongue.png

Edited by bartender100

This weather is close to perfect. Tomorrow in Buriram will be 25c with a low of 12c.

25c allows you to excercise, sit out in the sun, do touristy things and generally enjoy the great outdoors. 12c is maybe 5 or 6 degrees lower than perfect but nothing a hoodie and a wee fire doesnt solves and I Iove sitting round the fire with a beer.

Come May it will be 40c+ in daytime and 30c+ in the evening, too hot to spend much time outside without struggling with sweat and generally uncomfortable. Also many more insects.

Id take this weather all year in a second. The nicest climate in the world they say is Tenerife which has year round temperatures similar to what we have here now.

And water it daily?

I don't really get this .

Do you mean that with this cold weather the lawn should be watered more than other periods ?

No, I mean this is the DRY season too.

When it is pouring down, I rarely bother to water the lawn!

The stuff in the tank I pay for (metered city water), the stuff from the sky I get free!