Thai students cry foul after 'forced to back Feb 2 poll'

webfact

It is a foul thing to do, to spit on people. Disgusting.

Slightly better then covering up CCTV cameras and then hand grenades exploding.. I go for the spitting anytime. And in case people are unawares as to what spitting at someone means in Thailand, it is to show the greatest of contempt, disrespect without engaging in physical violence. And the rest of the Thai people who spit on a daily basis I guess must be disgusting as well. No, simply a culturally excepted thing to do.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't see anything in my post condoning violence of any sort. Making the point that it is a filthy thing to do, when you spit on another person. Revolting. You are right in that it shows contempt, also arrogance, ignorance and no regard for the dignity of others.

Did he spit on another person? A previous report says he spat on their equipment. Anyway, spitting isn't a particularly pleasant thing to do regardless.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly better then covering up CCTV cameras and then hand grenades exploding.. I go for the spitting anytime. And in case people are unawares as to what spitting at someone means in Thailand, it is to show the greatest of contempt, disrespect without engaging in physical violence. And the rest of the Thai people who spit on a daily basis I guess must be disgusting as well. No, simply a culturally excepted thing to do.

Don't see anything in my post condoning violence of any sort. Making the point that it is a filthy thing to do, when you spit on another person. Revolting. You are right in that it shows contempt, also arrogance, ignorance and no regard for the dignity of others.

Did he spit on another person? A previous report says he spat on their equipment. Anyway, spitting isn't a particularly pleasant thing to do regardless.

Haven't seen other reports only this one. Could be the OP on this thread got it wrong. I'd like to think so.

As for "disrespect without engaging in physical violence", I don't know about where you live but round here you spit on someone and it is the prelude to some fairly physical confrontation.

No you didn't mention the condoning of violence and nor did I.

The report is actually a good thing. It suggests these old fashioned ways of generating a crowd don't work so well anymore. But this sort of thing is still pretty common in other areas. The army uses high school students doing their 11th grade training to bombard the internet with pro-military comments. In the recent past soldiers have been instructed to bloc vote for the military's favoured candidate.

As for "disrespect without engaging in physical violence", I don't know about where you live but round here you spit on someone and it is the prelude to some fairly physical confrontation.

No you didn't mention the condoning of violence and nor did I.

So why mention hand grenades?

Making 12 year old children demonstrate on one side or the other is clearly the wrong thing to do. I think there are people at the extremes on both sides displaying poor judgement.

The case of university students would indeed seem to be different, given that they are adults. My concern is that in the highly-charged atmosphere that seems to be prevailing at Chula, and with the Thai emphasis on hierarchy and greng jai, it will be quite difficult for students to go against the line proposed by their lecturers.

I was recently in touch with an academic from that university who was strongly on the yellow side, as indeed I expected. My unspoken thought was: do the academics there realise how poorly their perceived anti-democratic stand is going down with colleagues in Western universities? I couldn't help wondering whether this might have costs for Chula academics re the assessment by external reviewers of their submitted journal articles and doctoral candidates. Of course, that would be quite wrong as well.

Students should not be allowed to protest for the government or the anti-government. I agree some action need to be taken against the administration here. I also see a brave man in the south stand up to those thugs. Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya did the right thing in standing up against these thugs who try to intimidate people with bodily harm if they don't do what the thugs want.

Students thinking for themselves.....!

There is hope for Thailand yet. thumbsup.gif

It seems that this was because of an EC request!!!! Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is this!!! Come on, give us a clue.

In the news section ..

RT @tulsathit: Director of the Ayuthayawittayalai school told disgruntled students this morning a pro-election activity was due to EC's request.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeh Right!!! and you believe that?

The EC have done everything in their power to have the elections postponed so why would they order a school director to force the students in his school to protest for an election!!

Does this seem right to you?

Maybe the school director is a rampant red and he is coercing his minions to support Yingluck - seems much more plausible!!!

Oh that's rich, this coming from a guy who happily welcomed the PDRC supporters with kids from his school. Kids that have been and still are being used for a PDRC political agenda. facepalm.gif

It doesn't matter which side it is, kids should not be put in harms way and are too young to understand how politics work. IMO for a foreigner to join the rally when he is not a citizen could paint a false picture into the protestors minds (whether it's red or yellow). It could and probably will reinforce their beliefs, since westerners come from countries which have democracy, that they are right on track when they could actually be the opposite.

Edited by maxme

People are being shot and bombed for the cause and all you lot seem to be doing is bickering about someone spitting - get things into perspective, will you!!!!

The OP, in part, has a report of people being spat upon. Why should we not comment upon it?

People are being shot and bombed for the cause and all you lot seem to be doing is bickering about someone spitting - get things into perspective, will you!!!!

The OP, in part, has a report of people being spat upon. Why should we not comment upon it?

The original story as I remember it (from another thread) was that this official spat on an audio speaker rather than a person. I agree that spitting is not nice, but people on TVF seem to want to rewrite history (and events) all the time

The original story as I remember it (from another thread) was that this official spat on an audio speaker rather than a person. I agree that spitting is not nice, but people on TVF seem to want to rewrite history (and events) all the time

I can only comment on the OP that started this thread, which says the official spat on people.

This is such a comical protest. 'Mob rules' is the only form of governance that the Thais know.

Which part is comical! The fact that the school director was ordered (allegedly) to send school kids on a pro government rally OR that some of the school kids actually had the balls to oppose him?

Did they really have the balls to oppose them? Did what they do really take balls?

Students should not be allowed to protest for the government or the anti-government. I agree some action need to be taken against the administration here. I also see a brave man in the south stand up to those thugs. Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya did the right thing in standing up against these thugs who try to intimidate people with bodily harm if they don't do what the thugs want.

I'm quite surprised you managed to type the name of "Saravudh Issarangura na Ayuthaya " the man who spits at people

I'd have thought you would have worn the H, G, S, U and T keys out on your keyboard

laugh.png Ctl + C & Ctl + V from another post or the OP are keyboard life-extenders (at least that is what I do anyway)...............wink.png

All those years ago when my daughter was studying i can assure everyone that as a parent i would have freaked out had she been ordered to do anything like this.

Unfortunately Thailand is chock full people who think they are a ' somebody ', that they can do and say whatever they want and that their orders must be obeyed without question.

Now, Question of The Day, what chance the school director will lose his job ? Please forgive me it;s still early morning and I'm not in my body yet.

He was just following orders! He might have been scared that he would lose his job if he didn't do as he was told. Understandable if not ethical. Happens all the time, the world over.

I have to point out that social/personal ethics are part of the requirements for a well rounded education of the young, impressionable students. If the headmaster is not displaying ethical behavior, how could his actions be even considered understandable? Much less attempt to justify it.

Now if he was to have given each kid 20 baht for their time, for their vote of confidence, would that be classed as OK to introduce the kids to the country's ethics?

And before you spit the dummy, of course I'm joking with the above. Although sometimes truth comes out of jest.....................thumbsup.gif

tongue.png

This is such a comical protest. 'Mob rules' is the only form of governance that the Thais know.

Which part is comical! The fact that the school director was ordered (allegedly) to send school kids on a pro government rally OR that some of the school kids actually had the balls to oppose him?

Did they really have the balls to oppose them? Did what they do really take balls?

Yes & yes.

The whole picture of this protest is comical. Where to start? There is no chain of command, day by day another group comes out of the woodwork to protest some aspect of this political environment, the police, protesters, and army seem to be playing cat and mouse and blame game with each other, social media is off the charts with rumors and here say, other nations don't know what the heck is going on, etc. It's quite the keystone cops if you ask me.

"...school's director ... ordered them to stage a street rally in support of the February 2 election."

That's democracy eh? And how a/b making children carry RED flags when marching in "Scout" uniforms. And how a/b flying RED flags in schools in Isaan. I bet the RED Chinese love this ... soon - perhaps Thailand will be annexed by the Big Red One.

What do you mean SOON? Name ONE person in Government right now that is a 100% Thai??! wai2.gif Nee Hao! clap2.gif

Let's not even start about the “Seng Sae Ku” (เส็ง แซ่คู) Family.... Oh? Sorry. Shinawatra. giggle.gif

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jonathan Head reporting from that school with the students forced to carry pro-election, pro-Thaksin and pro-corruption placards. He will use it of evidence of the rural population and educated youngsters mutual adoration of the fugitive.

Sadly,like most of Thaksin's clunky propaganda, this one has spectacularly backfired and sent a broadside into the stucco wall of His luxury Dubai villa.

Well what about the universities that told students to go and demmonstrate? You can not convice me that they did that on their own.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jonathan Head reporting from that school with the students forced to carry pro-election, pro-Thaksin and pro-corruption placards. He will use it of evidence of the rural population and educated youngsters mutual adoration of the fugitive.

Sadly,like most of Thaksin's clunky propaganda, this one has spectacularly backfired and sent a broadside into the stucco wall of His luxury Dubai villa.

Well what about the universities that told students to go and demmonstrate? You can not convice me that they did that on their own.

Just for you, I will repeat my earlier post.

Ummmm, but Uni students are young adults. They can legally vote, have sexual intercourse, smoke, drink alcohol and attend political rallies if they choose to do so. They don't have a roll call.

Schoolchildren can do none of the above, and were ordered to rally in support of the Feb 2 election, some of them allegedly against their will.

If you don't recognise the difference between schoolchildren and Uni students, your next post might be from the BKK Hilton (aka Bang Kwang).

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

They were allowed (encouraged maybe) but it was 'up to them' if they wanted to go or not.

They were not forced to go - look up both words in a dictionary (not the red one though) ie: ALLOWED and FORCED to see the difference!!!

They were allowed (encouraged maybe) but it was 'up to them' if they wanted to go or not.

They were not forced to go - look up both words in a dictionary (not the red one though) ie: ALLOWED and FORCED to see the difference!!!

laugh.png ... coffee1.gif

It seems that this was because of an EC request!!!! Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is this!!! Come on, give us a clue.

In the news section ..

RT @tulsathit: Director of the Ayuthayawittayalai school told disgruntled students this morning a pro-election activity was due to EC's request.

This explanation of why they were 'encouraged to attend' is about as plausible as a school director saying 'murder is OK because it's Monday' with the expectation that all listening will nod in agreement, then the school director can say 'everybody agrees!.

When were university students "told" to go to demonstrations?

Maybe you need to look at the difference between the principal telling 12 yo students to protest, and a lecturer asking 18-21 yo students to protest.

When were university students "told" to go to demonstrations?

Maybe you need to look at the difference between the principal telling 12 yo students to protest, and a lecturer asking 18-21 yo students to protest.

TBH, their knowledge about politics, society and democracy is about the same. coffee1.gif

CHAPTER IV
Duties of the Thai People

Section 70. Every person shall have a duty to uphold the nation, religions, the King and the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution.

Welcome to the Thai Constitution, has nobody read that Thai's have a legal duty to defend democracy?

So you want to debate if it's fascism to defend democracy? Nope, it's the constitutional duty of Thais.

More than that, every single Suthep supporter here used their 'like' button, so they have no problem with the principle of a vote.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1