Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

I hae to ask 2 questions.

1. Where is YINGLUCK ? In any other country even North Korea it would be the head of state tht would make this announcement and explain it to the people.

2. Without the ususal TV sarcasm and BS can someone that was here the last time please explain what we can expect. I live in Pathum Thani so figure that it willnly affect me when I go to BKK>

• Like 1

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this does have the look of a high risk play by the gov to regain control; in particular putting that volatile joker Chalerm in charge may signal the end of softly softly. Interesting that prayuth (according to some media) has chosen tomorow to go on an inspection tour of the south. Has he been bought?

• Like 1

Can anyone answer the following, which nearby provinces are to be affected, and what exactly does the state of emergency consist off in terms of curfews, etc?

Part of Nonthaburi, Pathumthani and Samut Prakan. As for the rest, it remains to be seen but curfew can, there are all sorts of things they can do if they wish...

So after the cabinet meeting the gov't spokesman says no SOE. About an hour later Labour Minister Chalern pops up and announces the SOE. I guess the real PM gave new marching orders to his henchman. Pathetic!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this does have the look of a high risk play by the gov to regain control; in particular putting that volatile joker Chalerm in charge may signal the end of softly softly. Interesting that prayuth (according to some media) has chosen tomorow to go on an inspection tour of the south. Has he been bought?

wai.gif Actually it is a brilliant move. As long as he is not in the area the military cannot in anyway legally be mobilized.

Any attempt to provoke or order the military into action will be against the law and will automatically bring the ARMY in the wrong way.

• Like 1

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless their is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

if they are on their last legs ,why do the protestors not let the country vote?

because every vote is bought ,so there never was a real vote in thailand ,even voting for a new mayor in a small village the votes are bought (publicly !)

• Like 1

Can anyone answer the following, which nearby provinces are to be affected, and what exactly does the state of emergency consist off in terms of curfews, etc?

So, can anyone answer the above?

Nonthaburi, Phatumthani, Samut Songran

I think this is to stop the reds coming in. Those 3 areas are Red Strongholds and where they thought a rival mob was assembling. If they really are massing, it is good they are stopped and it shows the Government is serious about preventing violence.

It is a shrewd move this. She can be seen to be enforcing it to protect whats left of Sutheps millions, which she is.

Shrewd to offload it onto the Army as well. They are the ones making all the noise about security and protecting people, lets see if they can do a better job of it than in the far south where they have done very badly. They (Army) can also swell the chest and strut around as the saviours of the Country without Couping and if Suthep causes problems and he is not dealt with, then the Army is outed again for supporting him.

Who knows, maybe the talk today of arms caches was serious. The Army seem to be on side with it. Who knows...

Most news threads have details on it, but not sure what you can link on here news wise. The Nation is actually very much out of step with.. well the Nation, so it's sometimes best to look at what everybody is saying from both sides.

Do well if people gave some respect to the Government. It's not them blocking the streets, beating up garbage collectors, vandalising Gov property and threatening office workers going about their everyday business. Lot of people are really turning off the PDRC, in real life, not on Thaivisa. Look at the pics from todays march. Less than 300 for sure and if you discount all the people like me who was caught up in it, the press, the bodyguards, the police detail and the plain clothes army. I'd say he was less that 200 supporters on the march.

Time for him to go one way or another

• Like 1

And this is why the terrorist wing of the PTP wanted to cause violence in the streets. To justify enforcing the emergency decree which will coincidently last to the end of March. So the protestors that are highlighting pecefully that elections are fine, but it is post election democracy that is being abused and needs to be reformed are going to be shutdown from practicing (yep you guessed it) their democratic right to protest peacefully. ANother principle abused by the PTP. PTP logic is, if it is democratic then get the terrorist wing involved, stir up some trouble and then the excuse is "we did it because the protestors turned violent", BUT we are still democratic! AND get this right?? Ready? Sitting down? The 15 principles of democracy lovers (not just elections) apparently turned violent on themselves!! As if to think that leaving them alone for 4 weeks will ensure they will all blow themselves up until there is only Suthep left on the streets. The last thing the protestors wanted was this emergency decree. The last thing they wanted was to be limited to gatherings of 5 or less on the 2nd of Feb and it has all now come to fruition because these peaceful 15 principle supporters attacked themselves.

NOW THATS UDD fanboy logic. Unfortunately it is that logic that allowed other dangerous democratically elected PM's to make it to power and abuse the other principles of democracy post elections.

The white farmers in Zimbabwe that were murdered under the name of "majority rule" didn't spout "Let the voter's decide". They would have loved a reform to ensure democracy was practiced post elections. They would have loved an educated voter base that knew the ramifications of voting for Mugabe. Education. I see on this site some have an IQ equal to the principles of democracy that the PTP adhere to. 1.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

And Chalerm of all persons is going to be in charge!!w00t.gif

Are there no limits to the Shins stupidity, ignorance and arrogance??

Moves like this make Zimbabwe, North Korea and Iran look like true democracies!!coffee1.gif

Abhisit enforced the SOE on April 7th 2010. Three days before the attempted clearance at Democracy Monument lead to the appearance of the MiB. I'm imagining that they're going to try to clear some areas and try to shift protesters into less disruptive spaces. Otherwise I don't see what the point of issuing the SOE is. Key thing to look at is what the regulations issued are:

'Second, once a state of emergency has been declared then regulations can be issued pursuant to the State of Emergency Decree. By itself, the State of Emergency Decree is just a framework which allows regulations to be issued and until the regulations are issued the provisions have no application. Generally, any regulations issued will only apply within the area declared to be under a state of emergency. This can be contrasted with martial law where all the provisions in the Martial Law Act automatically apply.'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/20064/state-of-emergency-in-southern-thailand-extended/

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

Pretty desperate move &, as usual, accompanied by lies. The violence is targeted at the protestors not by them but we shouldn't expect the truth from either Chalerm or Surapong.

So, what difference will it make? Given the police failure to prevent the violence and their efforts to find scapegoats, not much I'd suggest. Also, they seem to 'forget' that the protestors down south have been even more successful in preventing another bought election.

I suspect that the army will melt even further into the background. If they're not careful they will have the rice farmers forming another group totally pissed off with the PTP mob.

If this doesn't work, what next? Double secret emergency?

• Like 2