Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that the incumbent governments policy of doing nothing (deescalate) or enflame protesters was working. However they should have done a great deal more to remove some top military brass who started flexing there political mussels. Now it looks as if they are playing in to the Army's hands. It will be interesting to see who and how they will enforce the state of emergency. I fear the outcome could turn into a pitched battle, flowed by a coup d'ėtat.

All bases covered....

• Like 1

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

I think even you can recall when city of BKK was jeopardized and burnt in 2010, because of some red shirts .... they were terrorists.

Moreover, some lunatic thrown bombs and shot into the peaceful protesters. They were terrorists - most probably pro-gov red shirt - I'd say communists.

Please don't drink before commenting, but consult with a dictionary, where you can find exact meaning of "terrorist". Just don't take on your red glasses :)

Cabinet declares state of emergency in Bangkok as of Wednesday

emergency-decree-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet has decided to declare state of emergency in Bangkok and certain parts of Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces effective as of Wednesday.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was authorized by the cabinet to invoke the Emergency Decree to be imposed in all 50 districts of Bangkok and certain districts of Samut Prakan and Nonthaburi. The state of emergency will last 60 days.

Also, the cabinet appointed Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung to head a centre tasked with enforcing the Emergency Decree.

Details about the measures to be imposed to deal with the protests will be announced by Mr Chalerm on Wednesday. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul will meet with foreign diplomats on Wednesday to explain about the reasons for the declaration of the state of emergency.

But according to the Emergency Decree, the centre headed by Labour Minister Chalerm is empowered to issue the following measures: to declare the protest sites off-limits and people will be banned from entering the areas or face criminal actions; to impose curfew in certain areas and to give more powers to the police in dealing with the protesters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-declares-state-emergency-bangkok-wednesday/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-22

Can anyone answer the following, which nearby provinces are to be affected, and what exactly does the state of emergency consist off in terms of curfews, etc?

I have not seen which parts of nearby provinces that will be included other than Bangkok proper.

The last Emergency Decree in 2010 include limiting gaterings of groups more than 5 persons, A Curfew, and People can be detained for up to 30 days without charges being filed.

These are just a few of the things done in an Emergency Decree.

The Government and CAPO will announce what they will invoke soon.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

People who toss grenades or who plant explosives on train tracks are terrorists.

• Like 2

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

• Like 1

Under the State of Emergency, the government and security forces will be granted with sweeping powers to contain the ongoing protests, such as imposing curfews, censoring the media, making arrests or searches without court warrant, and banning any political gathering.

Unlike the Internal Security Act, which had been imposed in some districts of Bangkok during the protests, the State of Emergency decree does not allow members of the public to take any legal action against the security forces if they have been affected in any way by the state operations.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1ETXdOalV5T1E9PQ==

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-01-22

It's not clear what the SOE will allow them to do until regulations are issued, only then can provisions be activated. Have they been issued yet? I haven't seen details. Here are the regulations issued in 2010 though: http://asiancorrespondent.com/30826/state-of-emergency-declared-in-bangkok/

Imagine it'll be similar this time.

Can anyone answer the following, which nearby provinces are to be affected, and what exactly does the state of emergency consist off in terms of curfews, etc?

So, can anyone answer the above?
The Government has not yet explained what the rules of the SOE will be this time. Nor is it clear whether they will be able to implement whatever rules they decide upon. You'll have to wait and see just like the rest of us I am afraid.

I think even you can recall when city of BKK was jeopardized and burnt in 2010, because of some red shirts .... they were terrorists.

Moreover, some lunatic thrown bombs and shot into the peaceful protesters. They were terrorists - most probably pro-gov red shirt - I'd say communists.

Please don't drink before commenting, but consult with a dictionary, where you can find exact meaning of "terrorist". Just don't take on your red glasses smile.png

Communists? Seriously? It's 2014 and the chances of finding a commie under the bed in Thailand at these events is as high as some elderly farangs letting go of their 1950's era paranoia.

• Like 1

Lots of noise from the red brigade.

Truth is that declaring a state of emergency has all the impact of a free French fry at your McD outlet.

Until the PTP boys start to enforce the elements that they can, it means nowt

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Silly to declare the state of emergency. Why Wednesday and not now? Why at all? And shouldn't it be the PM to declare it and not Chalerm? Probably the missunderstood fugitive instructed it all. Now see how the new CAPO will (not) behave. They are renamed the Peacekeeping Center. Will see if that name is correct.

Gives them one day to either 1) disperse by themselves 2) strengthen their fortresses (?) or get the Army ready to clear them out.

just phoned the wife and told her you said she was a terrorist for peacefully protesting ...thumbsup.gif ans...loud laughter,and then how old is he......

I take it your wife did not the the see the savage attack on a Bangkok taxi driver 2 weeks ago or the assault which hospitalized the two policemen or the brutal assault which left a journalist from The Nation unconscious. I assume the random attacks on street vendors has also gone unnoticed.

Next time you phone your wife tell her to take of her yellow tinted glasses and open her eyes. She might get a surprise.

Did you see it? Do you know with absolute certainty all of the facts?

you might get a surprise!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He's been around for at least 3 posts - so he he must have knowledge and insight.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the military react to this.

Quite, I seem to remember the army saying that an emergency decree is not needed and the government hasn't heeded their advice!!!

If someone say's to you "I am going to punch your lights out if you stick your chin out again" - well guess what Yingluck has had the audacity to do.........now you will see fireworks!!!

Keep your chin up YS!!! what do you mean you can't because you're lying on the floor with your jaw broken!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 1

Seasoned script writers couldn't dream up such a set of dysfunctional characters if they tried

Indeed, a right bunch of fruit and nuts, but you forgot one character in this play....

Chuwit!!

Where are you? Your country needs you!

• Like 2

Just been reading the most outrageous slanders of Suthep Thaugsabon:

"Suthep himself was forced to step down as a lawmaker in 2009 after it emerged he violated the constitution by holding a stake in a media company that had been granted government concessions.

He was also involved in a corruption scandal in 1995 in which he was found to have granted plots of land intended for the poor to wealthy families on the island of Phuket.

In an early sign of his willingness to employ rabble-rousing tactics, Suthep called on his supporters to march on Bangkok to defend him. But the outcry led to parliament being dissolved and the Democrats losing the subsequent election.

Despite that, Suthep was deputy prime minister in the unelected, Democrat-led government installed after the overthrow of Thaksin.

He played a major role in the bloody crackdown on the Bangkok street protests of 2010 that prompted the fall of that administration and resulted in the 2011 Puea Thai election victory. A total of 92 people died. In October, Suthep was indicted by Thailand's Office of the Attorney General for issuing the orders that allowed the military to open fire on the protesters.

Perhaps because of his mixed past, few of the demonstrators massing outside government ministries want to see Suthep become the country's leader."

Makes him sound worse than Thaksin!

If you want a government with members free of corruption, honest, working FOR the people, you need to look somewhere else than Thailand. This description of yours I believe is a match to almost all politicians, red and yellow.

• Like 2

Who is going to enforce this?

Exactly!,... and this statement says it all,...

"We will not use force. We have no policy to disperse them (the protesters) and we haven't announced a curfew yet," he said."

Enact the emergency law removing the right for any groups to gather in numbers of 5 or more but have "no policy" to remove 10,000.... <deleted>!!!

Silly to declare the state of emergency. Why Wednesday and not now? Why at all? And shouldn't it be the PM to declare it and not Chalerm? Probably the missunderstood fugitive instructed it all. Now see how the new CAPO will (not) behave. They are renamed the Peacekeeping Center. Will see if that name is correct.

Gives them one day to either 1) disperse by themselves 2) strengthen their fortresses (?) or get the Army ready to clear them out.

Just what are they going to do if they can't disperse them or use force??

Seems a bit pointless to me!!

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

It's called "World Service" for a reason you know...

Who is going to enforce this?

Exactly!,... and this statement says it all,...

"We will not use force. We have no policy to disperse them (the protesters) and we haven't announced a curfew yet," he said."

Enact the emergency law removing the right for any groups to gather in numbers of 5 or more but have "no policy" to remove 10,000.... <deleted>!!!

How do you know the provision to ban gatherings is part of the regulations? They didn't add that one until later on in 2010.

""The cabinet decided to invoke the emergency decree to take care of the situation and to enforce the law," And just who will they get to take care of the situation? Ghostbusters?

They got Chalerm! Much more comical than ghostbusters.

Seasoned script writers couldn't dream up such a set of dysfunctional characters if they tried

Indeed, a right bunch of fruit and nuts, but you forgot one character in this play....

Chuwit!!

Where are you? Your country needs you!

I didn't forget him. He was right up there in my thoughts, but he has been on the periphery lately.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

Indeed, you too may wish to re-visit the definition.

It includes interfering with telecommunications...

Over to you ^^

Oh, please.... coffee1.gif