Marriage Visa

sorry new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. I am 50 and have been working here with a work permit for the last 10 years I would like to continue living here after my work finishes. Can I receive a yearly visa by getting legally married and showing 400000 baht in a Thai bank?

The marriage should allow a multi entry non immigrant visa class O valid for one year to be issued (without money in bank requirements) but this will require 90 day visa runs. To extend this visa stay inside Thailand you must provide proof of support and if you are no longer working here that may require overseas income of 200k (400k if first application in July) being transferred into a Thai bank account. If your only income is funds already here and wife can not support you this may be a problem. Marry rich. :o

Hi

I'm in a similar but different position. My "B" visa runs out in May, and I now work touring to Myanmar. I'll be going to Australia in April, and was thinking of getting a new visa there, as Yangon is a pain.

I'm marrying my fiance (a Thai) in September (in Australia), but was hoping to get an 'O' visa in April based on our De Facto relationship.

My question is - Is this possible, and if not, what kind of visa should I aim for, given that I'll be coming 'home' to Thailand for up to 6 weeks at a time before the wedding,

Thanks all for all the good info

OBC

Many things are possible. I would try a small consulate setting where you can explain yourself. I would also carry a letter from your intended and a copy of her ID card so they have 'paperwork' to back up your request. If you are making trips during this time you should try for a multi entry non immigrat visa.

Hi

I'm in a similar but different position. My "B" visa runs out in May, and I now work touring to Myanmar. I'll be going to Australia in April, and was thinking of getting a new visa there, as Yangon is a pain.

I'm marrying my fiance (a Thai) in September (in Australia), but was hoping to get an 'O' visa in April based on our De Facto relationship.

My question is - Is this possible, and if not, what kind of visa should I aim for, given that I'll be coming 'home' to Thailand for up to 6 weeks at a time before the wedding,

Thanks all for all the good info

OBC

Use Brisbane. Sympathetic to people in your situation www.thaiconsulate.org.au for the forms and instructions

Thank you for your reply. Does this mean there is no advantage in legally getting married if one intends to stay here after work finishes? And does the ownership of a condo count towards your ability to maintain oneself? Alas my intended is not rich.

The condo does not count at all. The requirement is cash or income or a combination. Be aware that Thai law does not recognize de facto relationships whatsoever. The only way for you is a retirement visa, or getting a multiple entry O Visa abroad and cross the border every 90 days.

Does this mean there is no advantage in legally getting married if one intends to stay here after work finishes?

Getting married gives you the reason to obtain a non immigrant visa. If they know your work record here they may allow use of local funds - I would ask. If not you only have to make a border run every 90 days to stay here. I would think this to be an "advantage" over (possibly limited) tourist visas.

Does this mean there is no advantage in legally getting married if one intends to stay here after work finishes?

Getting married gives you the reason to obtain a non immigrant visa. If they know your work record here they may allow use of local funds - I would ask. If not you only have to make a border run every 90 days to stay here. I would think this to be an "advantage" over (possibly limited) tourist visas.

And as you have seen Lop, there's some reluctance in some Consulates to a long string of tourist visa's being issued, and the guy isn't married.