Lots of Freetime - What Options Are There?

onni4me

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they all knew what they wanted

What they wanted me to do

I told 'em what they needed

Just like I be telling you

You got to dig a little deeper

Find out who you are

You got to dig a little deeper

It really ain't that far

When you find out who you are

You'll find out what you need

Blue skies and sunshine guaranteed

• Like 1

Meet people who are different than you. Engage them, and understand them.

That being said, if your bored, open up a beer bar and count the money your losing as its happening real-time (like a stock ticker).

Seriously. You just need a change of scenery is all. Not trying to trivialize your experience, but we all face this at some point in our lives.

OP,

I think you need to think of it this way:

Ask yourself - what if you lived in country X (random European country) for 10 years straight. What would you be doing there? You would have seen all the sights (just like Thailands temples), been to all their beaches (like in Thailand, they are not all pristine either), avoided all their bars (expat bars are the same the world over), have done pretty much far less with family events (assuming less family members would be around in Europe), and traveled all of Europe (it's not that big).

So 10 years in Europe and you would be in the same boat you are in here in Thailand.

I don't think the problem is that Thailand doesn't offer you opportunities to be engaged.

At some point, anywhere on the planet, you will run out of "things to do". You need to force yourself to get involved. Take up a new hobby, try to volunteer, visit your Thai neighbors regularly and bring them morning coffee and chit-chat. Otherwise, YOU ARE JUST WAITING TO DIE.

A change of scenery will only temporarily alleviate your problems.

I understand and sympathize with your plight. I get bored in the LOS too! But instead of burning through all my cash on ANOTHER trip to the mall shopping, I find other activities. Productive activities. Self-improvement activities. Healthy exercising. Building friendly relationships with the locals in my village. Drawing (or course cause its my profession). Fishing, to bring home FREE food for my family instead of buying another rack of steaks. Gardening (same goal as fishing). Motorbiking (even if I take the same route daily, the wind and smiles and greeting from the village neighbors make the ride worth it - especially when it's blazing hot).

Basically, unless you have vast wealth - you will HAVE to make your own entertainment. You can't pull up stakes every (month, year, 5 years, 10 years) and travel the world to "be entertained".

I don't have a miserable life. Boredom? Perhaps after all these years here things start to repeat themselves.

What comes to going for a walk, bike ride, hiking, camping, buy a thousand fireworks and let them off, open a business, buy a Tuk-Tuk and ride across Thailand...who says that i haven't done all that in 10+ years...although, i was not aware that riding a Tuk-Tuk is legal on the motorways...I use a bike or a car.

I didn't expect much asking how others fulfill their days but it seems trolling and filling net with meaningless posts on ThaiVisa is a lifeline for some.

Unfortunately it does seem to be the case. I found your description of Thailand interesting, and I too have been here over 14 years,

and have found myself avoiding all the things you mentioned, as well.

When my friend invite me to join them at the bars,

I tell them I'll pass, as I feel as if they are just advertising what suckers they are for sitting on the sidewalk acting like they are kings,

because some bird wants to get into their pockets.

Not to mention the issue of my children now getting old enough to understand when their father is missing,

and mom tells them she doesn't know where I'm at or even worse, that I'm sitting on a stool, pretending to have a great time,

looking at birds gyrate to music blazing out of some distorted speakers.

Seen and done all the other things you mentioned as well,

and am now stuck with just watching the days go slowly by.

Tried to take up reading, but the misses doesn't get it,

and considers it to be a lazy thing to do.

So she does her best to distract me from getting into a decent novel,

which is truly a shame, as Thailand is the perfect setting for enjoying a good read.

OP,

I think you need to think of it this way:

Ask yourself - what if you lived in country X (random European country) for 10 years straight. What would you be doing there? You would have seen all the sights (just like Thailands temples), been to all their beaches (like in Thailand, they are not all pristine either), avoided all their bars (expat bars are the same the world over), have done pretty much far less with family events (assuming less family members would be around in Europe), and traveled all of Europe (it's not that big).

So 10 years in Europe and you would be in the same boat you are in here in Thailand.

I don't think the problem is that Thailand doesn't offer you opportunities to be engaged.

At some point, anywhere on the planet, you will run out of "things to do". You need to force yourself to get involved. Take up a new hobby, try to volunteer, visit your Thai neighbors regularly and bring them morning coffee and chit-chat. Otherwise, YOU ARE JUST WAITING TO DIE.

A change of scenery will only temporarily alleviate your problems.

I understand and sympathize with your plight. I get bored in the LOS too! But instead of burning through all my cash on ANOTHER trip to the mall shopping, I find other activities. Productive activities. Self-improvement activities. Healthy exercising. Building friendly relationships with the locals in my village. Drawing (or course cause its my profession). Fishing, to bring home FREE food for my family instead of buying another rack of steaks. Gardening (same goal as fishing). Motorbiking (even if I take the same route daily, the wind and smiles and greeting from the village neighbors make the ride worth it - especially when it's blazing hot).

Basically, unless you have vast wealth - you will HAVE to make your own entertainment. You can't pull up stakes every (month, year, 5 years, 10 years) and travel the world to "be entertained".

Now here's a post that makes a bit of sense...and which I at least can relate too.

Thanks for taking the time to draft it out.

Great advise, which I plan to follow up on.

Cheers

Splendid suggestion, ThaiLike2. After over a decade of eating fish at every meal one could do worse than to change his diet, at least occasionally. It's not like one has to forsake fish forever. There's no more convenient, welcoming, or rewarding place on earth for such investigations. And nowhere more forgiving of such research.

Another suggestion comes from my personal experience. I did a master's degree at Chulalongkorn in the early 90s and have never regretted it for an instant. Compared to advanced studies elsewhere its a bargain. And some of the faculties at Chula (and a few of the others upcountry) are on par with many in the West. I have friends from a wider spectrum of Thai society than I would have had had I not done the course. And a small added bonus in my particular case was receiving my diploma directly from the hand of HRH Queen Sirikit.

That said, there's always a bowling league in need of a new member, regardless of which country one resides in.

Having returned to my home country to pursue even more study it wasn't long before I was looking forward to my return trips. My next one will be a permanent relocation.

Change your sexuality on Tuesdays. Think of all the new people you'll meet.thumbsup.gif

Excellent suggestion, ThaiLike2! There's nowhere more convenient, more rewarding, nor more forgiving of such research. After all, fish at every meal for over a decade is no way to live. It's not like one has to swear off it forever, or even at the same meal. The variety will be worth the effort.

Another suggestion comes from my personal experience. I did a master's degree at Chulalongkorn in the early 90s and have never regretted it for an instant. Compared to advanced studies elsewhere its a bargain. And some of the faculties at Chula (and a few of the others upcountry) are on par with many in the West. I have friends from a wider spectrum of Thai society than I would have had had I not done the course. And a small added bonus in my particular case was receiving my diploma directly from the hand of HRH Queen Sirikit.

That said, there's always a bowling league in need of a new member, regardless of which country one resides in.

Having returned to my home country to pursue even more study it wasn't long before I was looking forward to my return trips. My next one will be a permanent relocation.

Change your sexuality on Tuesdays. Think of all the new people you'll meet.thumbsup.gif

Edited by BanTamo

If you have time and (even fairly modest) money then pack a bag and go explore. Cambodia, Laos and Burma all border Thailand and are mostly accessibly by motorbike if that's your thing? Vietnam and southern China are not much further. Philippines and Indonesia are short hop flights away. Go have a good look round.

Lots I would love to do if I had free time.

From your commentary it would seem that you're a very 'externally based' individual. As are so many people, so it's not surprising to read about your ever looming 'boredom.' I would suggest doing a little inward searching. Satisfaction based on external stimuli will always, at some point, fall or run short. It's just the way it is. Also, instead of just receiving...have you considered giving?!?! It's been said that if you want to add some meaning and fullfillment in your life, volunteering to help others in need will always satisfy. Just a few points for consideration.

• Like 2

OP,

I'm in similar situation. Bored here (and thinking of relocation).

I have always liked to explore new things, try to understand what makes things and people tick. At he end of the day, my problem is that I have not found enough people with whom to share the experiences and from whom to learn something new. The areas of interest rarely overlap with the people I meet. This sharing and playing with the ideas can naturally be done online, but it's still not the same as in face to face conversation.

Relocation might not be the final solution, but at least it would open up new areas and cultures to learn.

Here is couple of practicalities, which I have used to buy some time while living in here. Maybe these could suit to you as well.

As Robby suggested, photography is a good reason to visit local events without being just an bystander. I try to do that every now and then. Take some photos, put them to the blog and share with my friends back home (as well as share on the photography forum here on TV).

Geocaching is a global treasure hunting game for adults. The idea itself is fun, but the real benefit is to find the hidden locations, even nearby, that I did not know before. http://www.geocaching.com/guide/ There are more than 2 million geocaches around the world.

It is hard to comment not knowing more details of your immigration situation, location in Thailand, citizenship and skills, but if you do not need more money, there are many volunteer rewarding activities in Thailand. Teaching anything is very well welcomed in most Government schools and philanthropic institutions, or just lecturing about your skills in trade schools. With so many years in Thailand probably you do speak nid noi Thai, and to open a small business is also easy and cheap to do here, if the business is not related with alcohol, music, transportation, located in "busy" areas, or anything that may get the attention of authorities, or needs special licenses.

as a qualified and experienced teacher who - doesn't need the money - i do an hour or so private teaching a day with carefully selected smart motivated students - it makes teaching a joy, i feel i am making a difference, gives me a feeling of satisfaction and pleasure and keeps my brain engaged.

recently discovered uktv.co.uk all the main uk tv channels for 500 baht a month. bargain.

• Like 1

I don't have a miserable life. Boredom? Perhaps after all these years here things start to repeat themselves.

What comes to going for a walk, bike ride, hiking, camping, buy a thousand fireworks and let them off, open a business, buy a Tuk-Tuk and ride across Thailand...who says that i haven't done all that in 10+ years...although, i was not aware that riding a Tuk-Tuk is legal on the motorways...I use a bike or a car.

I didn't expect much asking how others fulfill their days but it seems trolling and filling net with meaningless posts on ThaiVisa is a lifeline for some.

Really? Can a farang legally own a tuk tuk and have it for private use? How much will cost? Where I can buy one?

Edited by umbanda

Boredom is one of the challenges I've faced since leaving work a couple of years ago at the age of 61, and finding it very difficult to gain further employment, at least in my home country (Australia). I do have the options of starting a small business, or keeping myself busy in some other way but I still am looking for some kind of remunerated work. In the meantime these are some of the activities I do - most covered by other posters, so for what they're worth:

• "morning notes," based on the work of Julia Cameron who's written a number of books about art, and writing. I write 3 pages most mornings - it's worth googling her if you're interested
  • Wood carving - most people use images in wood carvings, but I tend to write short poems and make wood carvings out of them
  • Meditation - 20 minutes each day
  • Chi Kung exercises each day
  • Gym and swimming, bicycling
  • Motorcycle - a larger, faster, more capable one here in Australia than the one in Thailand (although to tell the truth, I don't find anything much better than riding a 100cc bike around the back blocks of Chiang Mai)
  • Mentoring a younger person in the US online (Skype and email, 3-4 hours per week, very satisfying)
  • Online groups compatible with my interests (I've had amazing online conversations with people I will probably never meet in person)
  • Online courses - I like the ones run by todoinstitute in the US, which are stimulating and reasonable value for money, but there are many others including free online courses (Khan University etc)
  • Face to face groups - a real bonus resulting from the nature of the place I live most of the year, Melbourne, which seems to foster that kind of community, I think it would be more difficult to do something similar in Chiang Mai, but if I end up living in Thailand most of the year, that's one of my projects
  • Partnering someone here in a business in Thailand (I do the marketing and the money, they do design and production)
  • Shiatsu - which I do for my partner and a couple of other people
  • In Thailand, receiving massage of the 120 Baht kind, (nah, not the prelude to sex kind, but I'm not judging that, either)
  • When I'm in Thailand I look around to meet other expats and Thais, there are some decent people around, able to carry on a conversation - but I don't necessarily expect to find those people in bars or whatever
  • I have met one or two enlightened people (i mean in a spiritual sense) here, and I am sure there are more
  • Courses - I'm not brilliant at learning Thai but I enjoyed my class and met some people I could relate to. I've also learnt reiki, and a basic massage course here - all those courses have been worth while, in my opinion
  • Learning new skills - I've learnt how to use photoshop since I've been here.
  • Walking the dog twice a day ..
  • Cooking, and cleaning, yard work, all the normal stuff

I like some of the other ideas here … for instance, teaching kids on a volunteer basis (and I know that there may be visa issues) …

One thing I have noticed is that I get more satisfaction - and feel more alive - when I'm helping others, rather than just indulging my own desires (although I certainly don't live in a hair shirt).

I should also say that despite all the activities above I still experience the problem of boredom in both Thailand and Australia, and I don't think I and the OP are the only ones, and I don't think it's necessarily because of some kind of personal deficiency. And I'm not whining about boredom - I think it's important to do something about it.

An explanation for the lack of civility I often see on TV (and which the OP has also observed) is that people are bored with their lives - not just my view, there's been research done on the link between bored people and online abuse, and for me that means A LOT of extremely bored people in LOS. I'm glad the OP has identified the boredom issue and started this conversation.

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1

Go fishing - it can get expensive at times, but go enough and soon they will be calling you with discounts on trips when they need a 'fourth or 'fifth' catch I release of the big fish only, 'keep for eat' some of the more exotic ones..............gets you away from the family, 'friends you don't want to hang out with' and you get to meet some people a lot like you - bored (if you're not a troll - because you have mentioned everything there is to do in Thailand and none of it interests you) Nothing like the thrill of a big fish on the line that you fight for an hour to bring boatside....................or you can opt for a 'soapy' once in-a-whilewhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I didn't notice if you speak Thai or not - if not then LEARN, it will make one huge difference to the boredom factor. Write something - it doesn't matter if you've never done it before - try. Break up the week, have something to look forward to - ie massage, weekend away, meal out. Do something you've never done before - go to a concert, theatre, art exhibition.TRY it you may be surprised.

BUT by far and away the best thing you can do is to do something for someone else, without expecting anything back. It doesn't have to be via a charity or religious group. as the old cliche says - 'practice random acts of kindness' GET AWAY FROM THE CITIES - Go to Kanchanaburi and drive up the border road to Umpang and then to Pai and ChiangMai. Few tourists there, great country. The key thing is to move. There is no power without action.

I love Thailand because I never know what's going to happen tomorrow. Give up trying to plan - anything.

• Like 2

Perhaps you should consider getting some education - either in Thailand or in the EU. It's never too late to learn. In fact, learning should continue your whole life, whether formal or informal.

I notice that you mention every activity in the book except work. Why not work? I never understood why people retire early. Work is or should be a normal part of life.

Set some goals. It sounds like you have no goals. Without any direction, it is very easy to become terminally bored.

After 50 years of working, I was fully retired for 3 years with sufficient income that I don't have to work. Travelled and so on for a while, but it became boring. So I've been working for the past 8 years. Keeps me busy and gives purpose to life.

Good luck!

From your commentary it would seem that you're a very 'externally based' individual. As are so many people, so it's not surprising to read about your ever looming 'boredom.' I would suggest doing a little inward searching. Satisfaction based on external stimuli will always, at some point, fall or run short. It's just the way it is. Also, instead of just receiving...have you considered giving?!?! It's been said that if you want to add some meaning and fullfillment in your life, volunteering to help others in need will always satisfy. Just a few points for consideration.

Finding something internally that will make you independent from your external experience might be a good idea.

Many temples offer meditation courses for farangs. You do not need to be a Buddhist or Hindu or even religious for that.

Searching in the internet about the avantage and the how to of meditation as well as locations could be helpful.

Just google "meditation retreat thailand" e.g. smile.png

Edited by sweatalot

I understand the OP's post, and I didn't find it whining at all...but rather, a legitimate, well-put concern.

For me, I've lived here 7 years now in retirement, and I've never been bored or idle for a single day... In fact, I often wish I had more free time than I do.

In my situation, I've got a fiance/soon to be wife who works outside the home, and no children. So since I'm home, I take care of the basic things around the house as well as most of the shopping and even some cooking. And I enjoy doing it, in part because my Thai wife would be pretty clueless about getting the Western creature comforts (bagels, tortilla chips, salsa, etc.) that I like to enjoy.

Because I'm retired, I manage my own finances, and that requires ongoing attention and effort in things relating to my retirement investments. There's kind of an ironic paradox in this: When I was working and earning money, I never had any time to learn about handling my money. Now that I'm retired and not "earning" any money, I have the time to learn about how to manage it.

I've also felt, I can't comfortably live here in Thailand and feel somewhat secure unless I have some idea of what's going on around me, so part of my ongoing routine is keeping up with current events here in the news, as well as the ever mysterious and evolving policies about visas and extensions and financials and reporting, etc etc. Also, when I have time, I like to listen to audio podcasts from back home in the U.S. on topics I'm interested in.

And, truth be told, after having spent a few decades getting up at the crack of dawn every day with an alarm clock to go to my office jobs, I don't have to do that anymore. If I want to stay up late and watch something after my wife's gone to sleep, I can do it and wake up later or when I wake up in the morning, and fix a decent breakfast at home.

All of that, and taking care of my fiance/wife and helping her with English language stuff relating to her job, keeps me more than fully occupied.

I'm busy, but it's certainly a nice kind of busy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I cycle everyday. I cycle on the road with many of the nice expat cyclists who live her, or those who visit here for off-season training or those that migrate to Chiang Mai for the European/USA winters. Met lots of nice guys and gals.

I also help Thai youngsters with track cycling on the Chiang Mai velodrome.

So this week:

Monday: Velodrome all day

Tuesday: Great ride with 16 people to Mae Wang.

Wednesday: Short ride with a few friends.

Thursday: All day ride, Chiang Mai to Li and back. 260 km at about 29km ph

Friday: Short recovery ride

Sometimes there are races which I can do at the weekend.

etc etc etc

Keeps me healthy and strong

Anyone can cycle: On road, off road, slow, quick. Great way of seeing the area, meeting people, getting off the beaten track etc.

I guess if you are not an active person you could try stamp collecting.

As I love this sport, and have done so for 53 years, then Chiang Mai is the perfect place to do it and it's a great way to spend my retirement!

I have been here 41 years and have never been to a temple..should I apply to Guiness Book of Records ?

A friend is astonished that I would not cross the road to visit say ..what's the name of those ruins in Cambodia ?

What do I do then ?..the list is too exhaustive and do not require that I live here.

My biggest failing is tooooo muuuch time on ThaiVisa,,it's a schadenfreud thing.

Learn the language (you indicated that you at least do not read/write Thai fluently). Learn how to meditate. Take up a hobby. And if you still cannot stand it, spend some time out of Thailand and get your fill of the culture and intellectual pursuits that are hard to find here.

Edited by Nayet