Suthep writes to Obama, affirming non-violent campaign

webfact

Suthep writes to Obama, affirming non-violent campaign
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban has sent a letter to US President BarackObama, affirming non-violent campaign of the PDRC to fight against a corrupt and "dictatorial" regime.

Suthep said in the letter that the PDRC is a pro-democracy movement and he wrote the letter to respond to questions of the international community.

He alleged that the Yingluck government had obtained power by violations of democratic principles - by buying votes and manipulating electoral system.

His letter says:

"Dear Mr. President,

I am writing to you today in response to a number of questions raised by the international community regarding the political protests that are ongoing in the Kingdom of Thailand. My name is Suthep Thaugsuban, and I am leading this movement through the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Please let me assure you that the PDRC is not conducting an anti-democratic uprising. In fact, the PDRC is a pro-democracy movement intent upon removing the dictatorial regime led by Yingluck Shinawatra, who has been empowered through and directed by her elder brother, Thaksin Shinawatra. For the past 13 years, the Shinawatra family has governed Thailand by a combination of tyranny, corruption, bribery, theft, and a complete disregard for human rights. While both Thaksin and Yingluck were both elected by the people of Thailand, both their elections and their governance represent the gravest of violations of democratic principles - including vote buying and electoral manipulation by the state - and over the past several months, millions of people representing the whole of Thailand have risen up to object.

The PDRC strategy is based on non-violent civil disobedience. While many of Thaksin's supporters have objected strenuously to our use of civil disobedience, please let me remind you that throughout the world, people have claimed their rightful independence, received recognition of civil rights, fought apartheid, and defeated Communism through this same civil disobedience. I will argue that Thai citizens are morally responsible to rise up and demand removal of both Yingluck and the influence of Thaksin, then define and implement the reform necessary to ensure that the Kingdom of Thailand remains free from unjust and corrupt leaders in the future. Most importantly, a reform that will bring about free and fair elections and a truly representative government.

The people of Thailand want and deserve democracy, and I am confident that the PDRC will help achieve and maintain the democratic process that this great country has long deserved.

Most respectfully,
Suthep Thaugsuban
People's Democratic Reform Committee"

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-25

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are these "tennis" letters allegedly written by both sides?

were the letters even posted?

why would polticians from both sides even write to the usa president?

were the local politicians thinking the mr president will intervene?

looks to me both sides are high on something or are orchestrated by the same conductor....

When I was 4 years of age, I wrote a letter to a local policeman. It contained, "Dear Mr. Dimwit, my daddy is trying to kill me."

The reply was, "Get on with it. Your daddy won't kill you. Leave home, go to stay with him, and everything will be okay."

It appears children, as governors of countries, write the same shit when they have matured.

I'm only not too sure which one is the policeman, or daddy anymore. sad.png

-m.

Edit: believe my story all you may...... as it's not true. Same as all this boring crap we read! :)

Edited by Sunisalom

Thai protest leader says rallies are 'pro-democracy' in Obama letter

BANGKOK, January 25, 2014 (AFP) - The leader of Thailand's opposition protests, who has vowed to disrupt upcoming elections, has written to US President Barack Obama telling him that the demonstrators' efforts to topple the government are "pro-democracy".

Suthep Thaugsuban, who this week threatened to "close every route" to polling stations in an effort to stop the February 2 vote, said his movement was "not conducting an antidemocratic uprising" in a letter to the United States president posted on his official Facebook page on Saturday.

The demonstrators, who have staged a near-two week "shutdown" of Bangkok, want polls to be postponed for a year or more and a "people's council" installed in power to implement reforms they hope would destroy the enduring electoral might of ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Suthep said reforms would ensure Thailand was free of "unjust and corrupt leaders in the future" in his letter to the American leader, which comes amid international concern over political unrest that has left nine dead and hundreds injured.

There is also mounting uncertainty over whether elections will take place on schedule, after the country's Constitutional Court on Friday ruled that the polls can be delayed because of the crisis.

Embattled premier Yingluck Shinawatra has previously refused to step down or postpone the vote and her party has questioned whether a delay would stop the protests or persuade the opposition Democrat Party to end its boycott of the elections.

The country is on Sunday due to hold advance voting, seen as a litmus test for the possibility of holding the vote without violence.

Protesters have said they will surround polling stations from early morning, but insist their actions will not obstruct voters.
Thailand has been periodically rocked by sometimes bloody rival mass protests since Thaksin was deposed in a 2006 military coup.

The billionaire tycoon-turned-politician, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption that he maintains is politically motivated, is adored by communities in the north and northeast and the urbanised working class.

But he is loathed among factions of the country's establishment, the Bangkok middles classes and southerners who accuse him of corruption, "vote buying" and see him as a threat to the kingdom's traditional hierarchies.

In his letter to Obama, Suthep said that while he accepted both Thaksin and Yingluck had been elected, "their elections and their governance represent the gravest of violations of democratic principles".

The former Democrat MP, who abandoned parliament to try to topple the government from the streets, said his strategy was one of "non-violent civil disobedience".

Protesters, who have besieged government buildings and closed major intersections during their weeks long campaign, marched in Bangkok again on Saturday in defiance of a state of emergency that has been declared in the city.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-25

Yeeeeees...a well written letter full of information about -let's say- who the people on his council will be, how he wants to fight corruption (at least the part, which his supporters and friends do not deem necessary and kind of a cultural heritage) and how reforms will look like, that his C3PO- movement (or whatever the name is, at the moment) of MILLIONS of people will try to push through!

Yes...very well written, informative and 100% on spot!

He is, was and always will be a genius and history will put him right next to Gandhi, Mandela and MLK...coffee1.gif

Your joking a course or very mislead by this madman

Just can't see Suthep having the same effect on the Pres.

lol this brings back memories of the Yingluck soapy massage cartoon on Youtube..I wonder if it is still online. I will take a look now clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I found it...definitely a must-see, cheesy.gif ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV8T8gnlU4o

Been blocked by the Ministry of imformation and public participation ( so no kiddies get upset ?)

Works for me !

... as Obama might have said, afterwards ? wub.png

• Like 1

On 19 December over 500 protesters led by the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) broke away from a large demonstration organised by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State and marched to the US Embassy, which was located on Wireless Road.

Mr. Uthai Yodmanee and Mr. Nititorn Lamluea, leaders of the NSPRT, said they want US President Barack Obama to remove US Ambassador Kristy Kenny from her position, accusing Ms. Kenny of tacitly supporting the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra by saying in previous interviews that she endorses the new election called by Ms. Yingluck.

Ms. Kenny′s statement has angered the protesters so much that one speaker on PCAD rally stage threatened to lead the protesters to storm into the US Embassy as a retaliation.

There were moments when it appeared the protesters were bent on breaking into the heavily fortified compound yesterday, with the NSPRT leaders demanding that the police retreat from their position around the embassy.

Indeed, if the crowd had got out of control, they would have been a hop skip and a jump from getting mown down.

Please someone spoof him and write back on white house letterhead.

Please....

Dear Suthep,

How u doing?

• Like 1

So,

Who names the people on the council.... what do... never mind.

At least it got Obamas eye... seeing as it was written in Yellow Crayon.

He came to Thailand to shore up Democracy. That was the statement everybody got and our PM really caught his eye.. What a circus. I like all the transparancy posts asking for details of his wealth and business interests in the South...

It is so bad in the South of Thailand that partition of the Country for half of Bangkok and the North to Cede would see the New States of Thailand Issan and Democratic Repulik of Suthep at opposite ends of the corruption index. Malaysians often complain of the stink of corruption during the NE monsoon season threaten to send their kids there when they are naughty.