Save Costs on Attaining a Full British Degree

IVBE

For expats living and working in Thailand, the prospect of sending children home to study at university can be a concern. Of course, children need the best education possible, but the cost of a foreign degree can be prohibitive. For instance, in the United Kingdom university fees are 9,000 pounds a year - at current exchange rates that's close to 500,000 Baht a year. Fortunately, a new higher education option has been launched in Thailand that might allow students to reduce costs related to higher education.

IVBE is an educational organization that has brought BTEC HNDs to Thailand. A partner in Regent International College, a joint venture with The Regent's International School, IVBE now gives students the flexibility to study for two years for a BTEC HND qualification in Bangkok, and then study in the United Kingdom for one year and complete a full British degree programme.

Studying two years in Thailand and taking a third year at a British university reduces course fees by around 30%. If you include accommodation and living costs when taking a full three year degree programme, the savings are substantially more than 30%. Routes to degrees are also available in over 100 countries, including the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France, Germany, Hong Kong and Singapore.

If you are interested in learning more about how taking BTEC HNDs in Thailand can save you costs on attaining a foreign degree, private message us your name, email address and contact number. We will get back to you immediately. Alternatively, add your comments and questions below.

So I guess there is no chance of rolling up to Oxford with one of these.

Oh, I don't know. Oxford Brookes University (formerly the Oxford School of Art) might be delighted. The OP's website is strangely coy about mentioning which British "universities" welcome its alumni with open arms.

• Like 1

In case anybody is not aware, an HND is a vocational qualification - not an academic one. It's a pretty much worthless qualification, not regarded highly by many would be employers in the UK. (In the areas it's available two years' relevant work experience is probably worth more.)

A few, low quality "universities" in the UK will let you do a third year course and convert. However, the ultimate degree is of very little value. The availability of such degrees is the result of (a) misguided UK government policies wanting a large proportion of young people to get degrees, even if there's no employment available which uses what they've learnt, and (cool.png a relabeling of second tier (and in many caces thoroughly third rate) places of learning as "universities".

AyG thanks for your comments. You are absolutely right – this is a vocational qualification, and although there is no doubt that some universities are better than others, all offer a standard of education that is verified by bodies such as Ofqual and a range of UK government departments. The list of universities in the United Kingdom that accept HNDs is pretty extensive and, amongst a number of others, includes:
University of Bedfordshire
Bradford University
University of Brighton
Canterbury Christ Church University
University of Kent
London Metropolitan University
University of Huddersfield
Nottingham University
Oxford Brookes University (as suggested)
University of Plymouth
University of Portsmouth
Queens University Belfast
University of Wales, Newport
University of Ulster
University of Westminster
University of Wolverhampton
University of Worcester
PM me if you would like a more exhaustive list of institutions that accept HNDs.
John
  • Like 2

So I guess there is no chance of rolling up to Oxford with one of these.

I wonder which Australian universities have decided to accept this.

malcoml

Thanks for your comments. To answer your question here is a list of universities in Australia and New Zealand that accept HNDs:

Australia

Curtain University, Sydney

Edith Cowan University

Murdoch University

University of New England (NSW)

Queensland University of Technology

University of South Australia

University of Technology, Sydney

University of Western Australia

New Zealand

University of Canterbury

University of Otago

John

• Like 1

A HND is not a low quality qualification.

In many industries such as engineering it more valuable than a Degree.. a HND shows that you can "do the job" and not simply "talk the job"

I done the industry sponsored part time equivalent of the HND (Called a HNC)

With the HNC I was able to move straight onto a Masters Degree, so it is equivalent to a Bachelors Degree.

The issue may arise where the qualification is not too well known outside UK for example..

An HNC is not equivalent to an HND. It's a lower qualification. Typically (full time) an HNC takes one year, and HND two. And the assertion that an HNC (one year - A-levels not required) is equivalent to a Bachelors (typically good A-levels required, 3 year course) is frankly ludicrous.

I'm not attacking HNCs and HNDs. For less academically gifted individuals they can be an excellent choice. I just want people to be aware that these are vocational qualifications (and to be fair to the OP, this is very clear from his website) and are not a path to a good quality, academic degree.

• Like 1

In many industries such as engineering it more valuable than a Degree.. a HND shows that you can "do the job" and not simply "talk the job"

With the HNC I was able to move straight onto a Masters Degree, so it is equivalent to a Bachelors Degree.

The issue may arise where the qualification is not too well known outside UK for example..

Satcommlee

Thanks for your comments. As far as being widely recognized is concerned, of course HNDs are most easily recognized within the United Kingdom as far as the jobs market is concerned, but international companies around the world do recognize them. As far as higher education is concerned, 250 universities in 100 countries (including the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the EU) accept HNDs, so for purposes of higher education, it is a very flexible qualification to pursue.

John

MODERATORS

A Question since when are companies allowed to blatantly advertise in the forum? I thought this ws so that we could discuss items not get advertisements

Please study what it says above and below the OP's avatar.

I'll make it easy for you, the OP is a Sponsor and Sponsors are allowed to advertise.

• Like 1

Agreed smile.png

What we want is for people to get a genuine view of whether BTEC HNDs are a solution for their situation and needs. We think they are very flexible but they won't meet everyone's requirements.

John

Edited by IVBE

I totally agree I done the HND instead of staying on for 5th and 6th year at school which I completed when I was 18. At least this will give opportunity here which if you have not noticed is desperately needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

and are not a path to a good quality, academic degree.

Hmm, it was MY path to a First Class Honours degree in Electronics, AND it was MY path to a Masters degree in Satellite Engineering from University College, London (London University).

During my 7 years of academia, from HNC through to MSc, the hardest work I had to do was for my BTEC HNC and HND qualifications. The BSc and MSc were both a walk in the park...

When I completed my university study and entered industry, I started on a far higher salary than my colleagues because I already had the vocational training and experience, as opposed to simply a 'paper' degree.

I agree with the comment that an HND is not equivalent to a British degree. Depending on the degree course, an HND is about equivalent to the first or second year of a Bachelor degree.

Certainly in the engineering sector, an HND is a respected qualification.

30 years after gaining my HND in Electronics, I surprised myself by finding a modern use for it - teaching BTEC (Edexcel) electronics at a vocational college in Yangon, Myanmar :)

Simon

During my 7 years of academia, from HNC through to MSc, the hardest work I had to do was for my BTEC HNC and HND qualifications. The BSc and MSc were both a walk in the park...

BSc + MSc takes 4 years.

Looks like you wasted 3 years on an HNC.

PS

I did one too, cos I had some time to waste when I was young, and didn't really want to work.

HNC was a piece of worthless shit as far as all the employers and interviews I did and saw.

Easiest piece of paper I gained in my life, and all my course mates were unbelievably thick.

It isn't called 'vocational' for nothing.

List of UK Universities given earlier.

All the joke universities that used to be polytechnics.

They must be desperate for students these days, even the real universities have trouble filling places.

I agree with the comment that an HND is not equivalent to a British degree. Depending on the degree course, an HND is about equivalent to the first or second year of a Bachelor degree.

Simon

That's right - HNDs are recognized as being the equivalent of taking the first and second years of a British degree, which is why universities allow HND holders onto the final year of their degree programs.

John

Hi IVBE & Mods,

When I click on your link sponsorship ad in the forum menus it is full of spam ads and tried to install an virus in a .exe file. Looks like it has been hijacked by some pricks.

Hi

I am sorry - could you PM me and point out exactly where this is... I clicked on all ads and they seem to be OK.

John

I did one too, cos I had some time to waste when I was young, and didn't really want to work.

HNC was a piece of worthless shit as far as all the employers and interviews I did and saw.

Easiest piece of paper I gained in my life, and all my course mates were unbelievably thick.

They must be desperate for students these days, even the real universities have trouble filling places.

FiftyTwo

Thanks for your comments. As they are vocational qualifications, many people successfully take the HNC/HND route into the workplace. As the HND is equivalent to two years in a degree program, many people who want a more practical route into higher education choose this route rather than taking GCSEs, etc. As far as the list of universities given previously is concerned, obviously some universities are better than others, but all are subject to rigorous checks and balances provided by the British government - it is impossible for any British university to bypass those standards.

John

FiftyTwo

Thanks for your comments. As they are vocational qualifications, many people successfully take the HNC/HND route into the workplace. As the HND is equivalent to two years in a degree program, many people who want a more practical route into higher education choose this route rather than taking GCSEs, etc. As far as the list of universities given previously is concerned, obviously some universities are better than others, but all are subject to rigorous checks and balances provided by the British government - it is impossible for any British university to bypass those standards.

John

I went to Bath University, they offered to waive 1 year (electrical and electronic engineering), but advised against it as I would have been way behind in the math. I took their advice and they were right. I can't believe anywhere would waive two years, but maybe standards have gone down.

Hi IVBE & Mods,

When I click on your link sponsorship ad in the forum menus it is full of spam ads and tried to install an virus in a .exe file. Looks like it has been hijacked by some pricks.

Hi

I am sorry - could you PM me and point out exactly where this is... I clicked on all ads and they seem to be OK.

John

Have taken up with TV support, please note that his Ed site is all fine and not the issue in any way.

BSc + MSc takes 4 years.
Looks like you wasted 3 years on an HNC.

No, I wasted 2 years on A levels which I failed because I was a lazy git...

I couldn't face to study again for my A levels, so I entered technical college to study for a BTEC HNC (3 years), BTEC HND (1 year), BSc (2 years of a 3-year degree), and MSc (1 year).

Yes, it took a total of 7 years, but that was my own fault for not working at school. Besides, I was planning to study French/Italian at university, but failing my A levels pushed me into an electronics engineering direction, which ultimately proved very financially successful.

Quite how I went from engineeringI to building small hotels is beyond me... :)

• 3 weeks later...