Try booking a flight online - it's great, if you're in to self-affliction

boomerangutang

I booked Thai Air Asia domestic flights for June from here in UK on their website a few days ago and used the link to pay by direct debit from my Bangkok Bank account at 40 baht charge. If I paid with my credit card it was nearer £8 charge.

Two return LOS domestic flights for £80 with 20kg luggage allowance each. Can't argue with that.

Do not tick the 'please spam me' box as it's not compulsory even if deceiving.

I didn't get that far when I tried to book Air Asia a couple of years ago. I didn't have a Thai mobile phone number so I was prevented from going further. I tried my Australian number, even though I didn't have roaming, just so I could pay, but that wouldn't work either. That may have been remedied by now??

Try booking Air Asia flights from Thailand between 2 countries outside of Thailand! Impossible.

Not true. I have booked Air Asia flights between Kuala Lumpur and Bali and between Bali and Singapore a number of times without any problems. There again, I use my PC, not my phone to make the bookings. Payment is also not a problem. As always, there are improvements that could be made to speed up the process but generally booking on-line with Air Asia is OK.

I also print my boarding card before for all sectors before I leave home.

Alan

Try booking Air Asia flights from Thailand between 2 countries outside of Thailand! Impossible.

Not true. I have booked Air Asia flights between Kuala Lumpur and Bali and between Bali and Singapore a number of times without any problems. There again, I use my PC, not my phone to make the bookings. Payment is also not a problem. As always, there are improvements that could be made to speed up the process but generally booking on-line with Air Asia is OK.

I also print my boarding card before for all sectors before I leave home.

Alan

I tried to book a flight between Jakarta and KL then KL to Bangkok and the site would not accept the payment via my Thai credit card.I had to call them and book it

I think the biggest factor with cards is the nationality of the payment processor and their risk tolerance for Thai transactions.

Plus some airlines simply not having their ICT up to snuff.

I think this is probably it.

It would explain the inconsistency in user experience; some people encounter problems whilst others have none at all.

Thai ICT is generally pretty slovenly, to say the least.

Global biz isn't it, few are actually Thai.

But true for the cheaper Asian airlines in general.

Fancy working with IE but not Chrome, geez. . .

Being global doesn't seem to do them any good in La La Land.

I don't know what it is but something here is clearly kryptonite to them.

Just look at Chevrolet. Somehow, some high-ranking person from Detroit came away from Thailand thinking that it was perfectly OK for Thais to continue to pronounce the brand name as "Chef-ro-LETT".

I received a pitch from one of the new wave of Thai online marketing / net-presence / web-design outfits that had adopted an Apple-esque swagger and it was riddled with poor formatting.

Just look at Chevrolet. Somehow, some high-ranking person from Detroit came away from Thailand thinking that it was perfectly OK for Thais to continue to pronounce the brand name as "Chef-ro-LETT".

Why wouldn't it be.

You think foreign brands are pronounced properly in the States?

Any company is perfectly happy to let the locals pronounce their brand any way they like, they are just grateful that anyone's even talking about it - especially 'murikan cars fercriesake.

Spending marketing dollars on "educating" the locals on proper pronunciation would not only be a huge waste of stockholders dollars but most likely create a very negative image, condescending superior attitude from overseas doesn't go over well.

As so many visitors here give proof in their posts every day.

Why wouldn't it be.

You think foreign brands are pronounced properly in the States?

Any company is perfectly happy to let the locals pronounce their brand any way they like, they are just grateful that anyone's even talking about it - especially 'murikan cars fercriesake.

Spending marketing dollars on "educating" the locals on proper pronunciation would not only be a huge waste of stockholders dollars but most likely create a very negative image, condescending superior attitude from overseas doesn't go over well.

As so many visitors here give proof in their posts every day.

That's what's so mystifying about it: there wasn't any re-educating to do. 10 - 15 years ago when Chevrolet first made it's official debut in Thailand 99.99% of the population had never heard of them. They then spent a ton of money on brand awareness for "Chef-ro-LETT", possibly on the assumption that Thais wouldn't be able to pronounce the original name or that the Roman-script selling would confuse them, but even that's pretty feeble.

I am Thai and I can assure you, Thais have absolutely no difficulty in saying "Chef-ro-lay". The Thai language even has a symbol so that people can see very clearly where the silent consonant is and it is used all the time in the transliteration foreign names.

Edited by Trembly

And I'm saying once again the global company doesn't give a rat's ass how any given market wants to pronounce their brand's name, as long as it doesn't lead to negative connotations.

And of course the LET at the end would be confusing for those few Thais that are familiar with pronunciation of roman letters.

Believe me marketing is the one area where US car firms have some semblance of competence, what you were talking about was not an accident or a mistake.

"And of course the LET at the end would be confusing for those few Thais that are familiar with pronunciation of roman letters." ... I'll let you in on a secret. The vast majority of Thais read about and learn how to pronounce foreign brands with the Thai script. Thai car magazines write about cars using - you guessed it - Thai script. Thai script is perfectly capable of getting people to say "Chef-ro-lay".

Thais are also very well aware of a brand called "Pur-yo". It is spelt in Thai with a clearly indicated silent 'T' at the end. They'd probably be a bit non-plussed if you said "Peu-jee-ot / Peu-gee-ot".

Edited by Trembly

"And of course the LET at the end would be confusing for those few Thais that are familiar with pronunciation of roman letters." ... I'll let you in on a secret. The vast majority of Thais read about and learn how to pronounce foreign brands with the Thai script. Thai car magazines write about cars using - you guessed it - Thai script. Thai script is perfectly capable of getting people to say "Chef-ro-lay".

Thais are also very well aware of a brand called "Pur-yo". It is spelt in Thai with a clearly indicated silent 'T' at the end. They'd probably be a bit non-plussed if you said "Peu-jee-ot / Peu-gee-ot".

Obviously of course who doesn't know that.

Doesn't change anything I said.

And wrt Peugeot, perfect example, hardly any NES pronounces it "accurately" if by that you mean the way the French do. The company doesn't care, they just wish we had bought more of them so they wouldn't have to be bailed out by the Chinese.

I believe the epitome of online payment difficulty is "Paysbuy".. my attempt to get Thai Resident discount tickets for Ocean World was exasperating in the extreme. I did get them but the people (Thais), I gave them to, did not use them but used the cash I gave them for expenses to pay full price..so they say !

I painfully recall that my CC was used but had to get all manner of codes and verifications from my Bank.

Never had a problem. Headline too general, misleading.

It's like talking about hay fever or adverse reactions to MSG. Some people are affected by it, others aren't. The people who aren't adversely affected might have a bit of compassion for those that are.

Airline companies should do two basic things:

>>>> make online transactions less complicated and difficult. Jeezo, they might even allow PayPal, ....Bob Forbid.

>>>> sell tickets same price, whether ordered online, or bought from airline agency offices. I can understand enabling 3rd person agencies to tack on an added 10% or whatever.

oh and another thing:

>>>> Air Asia should quit sending emails proclaiming big discounts. They're all completely phony. They now go to my spam folder.

• Like 1

No problems booking Air Asia using my thai K-Bank virtual credit card. No problems using it on United online either. Websites of both have English versions and perfectly clear.

You're probably aware but for others, watch out for those "virtual" credit cards, some airlines, especially larger international ones, require passengers to present the card used to book the tickets at check-in time.

So if you don't have a physical card, google and/or call their customer service to check on that policy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had some dealings with some folks in Utah, where I'm endeavoring to coordinate some events from my base, here in Thailand. It's too much to explain details, but the message here is: It's so much easier to get things done, when people think clearly and don't complicate things. It's the opposite of Thailand and (I assume) China and other Asian countries. In Asia, the focus is on asserting power/control, and thereby complicating things that could easily be relatively simple. Plus Asians don't trust each other, so they add layers of security. That's why the following things happen rarely in Asia: Ebay purchases/sales, purchases with checks or PayPal, houses without perimeter walls or barbed wire fences.

When I was selling publications online, at the outset of the internet, I would advertise the product, get requests, garner address and payment method, and then ship product. Nary a problem. All happened quick and painless. If a Thai company tried doing what I did, it would have been a drawn-out, complicated, difficult process - that may or may not function, and would take weeks, instead of days for customer to get product.

my kasikorn debit card works fine for bookings on every airline

the new bkk bank chip cards seem like step backwards (they will only work in bkk bank atms and i dont work on paypal either )

dont know where you get that from, I have one and have no problems using other banks atms, online payments or paypal, in fact its pretty good and I have the extra security as well. Admittedly booking online tickets can be a bit of a nightmare but I have just done a return ticket to Australia for later this year no problems.

I think I found what the problem was. My incoming messages on my phone was full - so no more messages could enter my phone. So that might explain why I was unable to get a confirmation via sms from Nok Air. I had a similar problem with emails which were being forwarded from one email account to another. I didn't know that the original email address was getting backed up, with thousands of emails including spam. So I had to go to the original account and delete those thousands of emails. If this bit of info helps just one person with similar glitches, then I'm glad.

Seems like a smartphone would be a great option for solving your problems...

Don't be intimidated by the word smartphone... It doesn't mean the owner has to be very bright

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app