Is Thai Society Bereft of Social Skills?

ccarbaugh

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, we choose to move to Thailand instead of staying in our own heavenly countries where all is so perfect, I wonder why that is ?

Maybe all is not so well in farangland.

in other words...if you dont like it go home....easy again....but a predictable post.

So what would you suggest, stay and suffer ?

So it seems you don't drive a car? That really gives you an insight into this. There are occasions, when 'my' rural extended family is together, that I can sense a very strong unity. Difficult to explain but despite the fact that these people just walk in and sit down, I occasionally feel very much at home here. Probably a way of life that is dying out now but which may explain the origins of this kind of behaviour.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Op, they don't really talk on public transport, etc, for reasons touched upon. No-one knows the status of the next and for fear of embarrassment. If you do manage to get someone talking, you'll likely hit greng jai mode and won't learn much.

Anyway, with something like 80% of the spoken word (anywhere in the world) being superfluous, fingers-down-the-back-of-the-throat gossip, I personally prefer silence. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Op, they don't really talk on public transport, etc, for reasons touched upon. No-one knows the status of the next and for fear of embarrassment. If you do manage to get someone talking, you'll likely hit greng jai mode and won't learn much.

Anyway, with something like 80% of the spoken word (anywhere in the world) being superfluous, fingers-down-the-back-of-the-throat gossip, I personally prefer silence. rolleyes.gif

One thinks you are in receipt of your preference most of time.wai2.gif

• Like 2

I think some of you see what you want to see.

If your attitude is to go round finding fault in others, sure you'll find it .. every where you go you'll find it, it'll be with you every step of you life.
All the things you hate will keep jumping up and smacking you right in the face..

give some hate fell some hate.

/thread.

• Like 1

My experience differs..

When we get (me & TG) on the Bhat Bus they all start chatting away .. never met before but get straight in there chatting like old pals..

I think this is a universal experience in Thailand and if the bus is crowded one old crone will always tell everyone where to sit.

No social skills in comparison to what cultures? Ever been to south-east Chicago? Some of the rudest, non-stop swearing, ghetto trash in the entire world.

I find Thai social skills are closely related to their place in society. The poor, dirty Thais working in a local market (many times from Isaan) have a loud, harsh, angry voice and swear often while the higher class, Mercedes driving people are soft spoken, polite and clean.

Same in many other countries. The wealthy are the clean, well spoken and well mannered set while the poor are the angry, dirty and prone to violence.

No social skills in comparison to what cultures? Ever been to south-east Chicago? Some of the rudest, non-stop swearing, ghetto trash in the entire world.

I find Thai social skills are closely related to their place in society. The poor, dirty Thais working in a local market (many times from Isaan) have a loud, harsh, angry voice and swear often while the higher class, Mercedes driving people are soft spoken, polite and clean.

Same in many other countries. The wealthy are the clean, well spoken and well mannered set while the poor are the angry, dirty and prone to violence.

Jerry Springer, Jermy Kyle anyone from the countries of those two has no room to speak of .......rude.

• Like 1

My experience differs..

When we get (me & TG) on the Bhat Bus they all start chatting away .. never met before but get straight in there chatting like old pals..

I think this is a universal experience in Thailand and if the bus is crowded one old crone will always tell everyone where to sit.

Not what I was saying at all.

I've never seen an old crone get on a bus and tell everyone where to sit. not once, and I've been on a few. .

They seem friendly enough to me.

Where I come from if you look at a person the wrong way on public transport you'll likely end up in hospital

Source : personal experience..

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. Indeed, as others have said, negotiating Thailand requires an acute sense of social awareness. But you are probably stuck in your ways, judging by your post, that you'll never see them.

• Like 2

dont know whether many thais are deliberately rude, don't know any better, are simply incapable of thinking of/caring about others or lack the confidence/personality to take proactive action.

I'd say 2 out of the 4 options you gave:

Don't know any better and lack the confidence/personality to take proactive action.

• Like 1