Thai wives and stereotypes...

krisb

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon as they start talking to Aussie girls god bless 'em, she's a lost cause. . .

In this case my own sister is in her ear, the stereotyping has no gender boundaries.

'DON'T you let him just sit there!'

'NO, he can cook his own food

and clean!'... but I do!...'sure you do'... I give up.

Good points Costas. They do kind of assume or at least it's almost guaranteed crossed their minds she must be a prostitute cause she's Thai or if not she wants your money. The portrayal of Thai women by the media main culprits is that this is the main employment option, or to rob you blind, or it is thought they are docile creatures who won't speak up for themselves as they are almost zombie like creatures following husbands every demands.

Far from it actually...

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Yep, been there, the other aspect to this that i get a lot in the Uk is the stares and looks of disapproval, as though i was with a woman much too young !w00t.gif

I get the "dirty old man" looks. The wife is actually 12 years younger than me, she's 43, but looks much younger, like most Thai / Asian women they dont show their age in the same way most western women do. I put it down to jealousy !thumbsup.gif

Age is another obvious angle wide open for the scrutiny crew. Live and let live is choice of freedom and as long as everyone's happy...so be it.

Thing is, Thai girls will take care of business if they aren't happy, in a heart beat.

I'm in a minority as far as I know, I would like to hear of anyone else in my situation...she's older than me!..rare?..perhaps, it's a 6 month age gap anyway, not older by much. Then 6 months of the year we are the same age again. Currently, it's the same age until December.

Good points Costas. They do kind of assume or at least it's almost guaranteed crossed their minds she must be a prostitute cause she's Thai or if not she wants your money.

I've only seen that happen when the wife is far younger than her husband and/or possessed of aesthetics several notches above that which others estimate the husband could realistically attract and retain.

I had to do the "My Thai wife who is also a teacher etc etc" in one breath. When I went back to Uni I didn't have any of the questions etc.

Divorced now and played the same game with girlfriends "This is XXXXX she is a fashion designer in Bangkok" etc etc

Family has no problem with Thai girls and fully expects me to marry another Thai. I don't see many advantages of marrying an American girl over a Thai girl. I would like to continue speaking Thai daily for the rest of my life, even if I live in the US.

25 years age difference. i bet girl is from issan or someplaece in nakon nowhere! your relatives are right!

its just not the same west man marry thai girl.

Yeeep...blah blah blah.

• Like 1

Yep, been there, the other aspect to this that i get a lot in the Uk is the stares and looks of disapproval, as though i was with a woman much too young !w00t.gif

I get the "dirty old man" looks. The wife is actually 12 years younger than me, she's 43, but looks much younger, like most Thai / Asian women they dont show their age in the same way most western women do. I put it down to jealousy !thumbsup.gif

Not many thai woman at 43 look much younger. In a few years when she is late 40s she will look much more than her age, like most thais. Yuck, time for a newer model

• Like 1

<snip>

Really what there saying is "Im jealous you got a hot wife that doesn't have tuck-shop lady arms and feel the need to cram feminism down your throat"

Ah, that's better, at least now we have some balance.

Let's not stop with the Thais, let's stereotype all women...

We got married in 1988 and lived in a small city in Wisconsin, which had an influx of Hmong and boat people at the time. My lovely wife has a doctorate from an American university, and more than ten years (at the time) experience teaching English in Thailand. She gave up her career at a Thai university to move to the US. She was hired in Wisconsin to teach ESL to the children of those refugees. In public, shopping for example, she was assumed to be just another uneducated refugee, which rubbed her the wrong way. She hated being snubbed by shopgirls who assumed she couldn't afford whatever they were selling. The stereotypes about Thai women didn't apply, because it never dawned on the locals that she was Thai.

I guess you could say she's in good company; Oprah Winfrey was snubbed by shopgirls in South Africa a couple of months ago. My wife commiserated with the Hmong owners of an Asian grocery, both of whom had degrees from French universities.

Munger, on 30 Jan 2014 - 21:06, said:
CharlieH, on 30 Jan 2014 - 15:39, said:

Not many thai woman at 43 look much younger. In a few years when she is late 40s she will look much more than her age, like most thais. Yuck, time for a newer model

Comparing my 53 yo wife to other 50+ women I know from my home country really does upset your observations/generalization............wink.png

In respect of keeping this an anonymous forum and the privacy of the third party, I won't be posting phots before anyone kicks in with that.............smile.png

• Like 1

I remember the first time I went to a pub in London with my Thai (ex) wife. A guy came over and asked how much I paid for her.! Outrageous! But to be fair, when he came around his mates made him come and apologise. And he bought us a drink which cost more than the wife.whistling.gif

Have had the same experience in a few bars in Australia , difference was never received an apology

I remember the first time I went to a pub in London with my Thai (ex) wife. A guy came over and asked how much I paid for her.! Outrageous! But to be fair, when he came around his mates made him come and apologise. And he bought us a drink which cost more than the wife.whistling.gif

Have had the same experience in a few bars in Australia , difference was never received an apology

I know that in the US you cannot react violently to situations like that one, probably the same in Australia, UK, and many other countries...to no get into trouble but.......I am Brazilian...and I will not wait for an apology . Probably that is the reason why you rarely will see that kind of attitude in South American countries...and the reason why I no go to some places with my beautiful younger wife..even here in Thailand.

We've been married nearly 7 years, lived in Bangkok, Japan, California & Hawaii. She's met all my family & friends, plus we've made many new friends as a couple in the places we've lived. And not once has anyone, ever made any comment remotely like this. What am I doing wrong?

I never introduce her as "my Thai wife", I don't rush to explain her qualifications & education. She's my wife, period. And yes, she had many qualifications & credentials that people learn about later, if they ever seem interested. We treat each other publicly with love & respect; perhaps it shows. Maybe the secret is don't hang around narrow-minded losers who can't keep their personal prejudices to themselves.

• Like 2