Rice-pledge catastrophe could be final straw for Thailand

webfact

Can anyone tell me why the government doesn't accede to the farmers wishes and give them back their rice? It would seem to be good for the government, reduce rice stocks and debt all in one simple move. I'm not trying to be funny, i would like to know if there is a logical reason.

They don't refund after its stolen. This was devised to break down the rural, make them more poor and dependent is the grand scheme, loaning, giving up land and becoming serfs all the more. Sure, PTP knows their days are numbered unless they get Thaksin back to offer the victims of PTP thieves hope. But they've done everything since 2010 to show they are just out to swindle while the show is still on the road. Can always run abroad & come back later like Chalerm & Thaksin. They know locals forgive and forget. The one thing that is challenging them this time is internet access and people with more growing knowledge than they had in the past.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they be allowed to borrow more money? they have no means to repay it

I cannot go to the bank and borrow a million if I have no means to pay it back

I fell sorry for the farmers but the trusted a false prophet ... so mai pen rai to them

If anything DSI should freeze all the assets of Gov't officials and chuck the lot in jail

Anyone with half a brain knows the Gov't is culpable of mass gaft ... give their ill gotten gains to the farmers

The government has no means to repay the loan?

If they had the means they wouldn't need to scrabble around and BEG for a loan that nobody it their right mind will give them.

They can't borrow from offshore as they have no credit, the state banks refuse point blank to let them touch the investors money, 35 Thai banks won't touch it with a bragepole and the BAAC is STILL owed 500 billion baht by the government for the revolving rice fund.

Overall I guess the government has no means to repay the loan. Unless you know better of course.

Edited by billd766

That this government can't even pay the farmers for their rice makes the government's leader over in Dubai's claim that his govt sent money overseas to him to the tune of 30,000,000,000 in october last year even more sickening. Although if the farmers really do love him as much as his fans on this forum have us believe, maybe they are happy for him that his wealth has skyrocketed by 450% in the last year thanks to him trousering their rice money. No doubt a huge consolation to them. A less kind person could consider it as fools getting exactly what they deserve

Is there any foundation to your claims about Thaksin recieving 30 Billion Baht last year? Just wondering where you read that.

"Shinawatra disclosed to FORBES in October that Thai authorities had returned to him close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets"

http://www.forbes.com/profile/thaksin-shinawatra/

• Like 1

Your average redshirt thinks that thaksin is the only honest person on the political scene, so let the see this out to the end, and with a bit of luck they may all end up going out into a rice field and not returning ! They say the most terrifying thing in the world is ignorance in action, and this is surely proving true in Thailand under the rule of the shinawatra family, who must be laughing all the way to the bank sad.png

Remember that this article is from the hopelessly biased 'Nation'. The problem is that the EC wont let the government borrow the money it needs to pay the farmers.

However much has been syphoned off in corrupt payments, the scheme has let to financial stability for farmers (until now) and the Isaan economy is booming. Once the government is returned to power taxing the rich more and collecting taxes that are due (tax evasion here is worse than Greece) should seal the hole in the coffers.

The corruption is lamentable, but this scheme has resulted in a major redistribution of wealth. For too long the Isaan and Lanna have been the rice baskets for Bangkok and its source of cheap exploitable labour. This is changing and Sutheps patrons dont like it.

What is Millwall. Just trying to learn.

Thanong has many times buried Thaksin, but along with his constant claiming that the US and the USD are being buried with Thaksin, he hasn't been writing much else. Still, this was a pretty good overview on current conditions.

The bulk of taxes collected come from VAT, not from income taxes as many people mistakenly think. I suspect no matter who is in government that VAT will be raised to 10-12%. That means the rich RS people in Isaan will be paying for the politicians corruption the same as those in Bangkok.

Sooner or later, the RS's are going to figure out that they really don't need these Thaksin corrupt appointees, and they will come up with political parties of their own. After all, the Army is showing that they are out of the coup business, at least for now, and the Democratic Party is showing that they are no longer interested in politics, at least for now. It is a window of opportunity for an upcountry political party to further democracy in Thailand.

BTW, the rice scheme has not redistributed wealth. If it had, why would so many farmers be defaulting on their loans, especially to loan sharks? In addition, the EC is not getting in the way of allowing the Thai government from raising the funds to pay the farmers. It isn't the EC's fault that no Thai or foreign banks were interested in short term loans to help these people, including banks that do business in Isaan, despite the "risk free" status of an MOF guarantee. The only redistribution of wealth has been to those who have benefited by the corruption that you, yourself mention.

Thailand needs Isaan political parties, interested in helping the people of Isaan.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That this government can't even pay the farmers for their rice makes the government's leader over in Dubai's claim that his govt sent money overseas to him to the tune of 30,000,000,000 in october last year even more sickening. Although if the farmers really do love him as much as his fans on this forum have us believe, maybe they are happy for him that his wealth has skyrocketed by 450% in the last year thanks to him trousering their rice money. No doubt a huge consolation to them. A less kind person could consider it as fools getting exactly what they deserve

Where did you get this information? If true and provable it would surely be the final nail in the Shin coffin.

Remember that this article is from the hopelessly biased 'Nation'. The problem is that the EC wont let the government borrow the money it needs to pay the farmers.

However much has been syphoned off in corrupt payments, the scheme has let to financial stability for farmers (until now) and the Isaan economy is booming. Once the government is returned to power taxing the rich more and collecting taxes that are due (tax evasion here is worse than Greece) should seal the hole in the coffers.

The corruption is lamentable, but this scheme has resulted in a major redistribution of wealth. For too long the Isaan and Lanna have been the rice baskets for Bangkok and its source of cheap exploitable labour. This is changing and Sutheps patrons dont like it.

Sounds more like a planned economic shock so that everything can be bought up for pennies on the dollar. In fact this is exactly what the regime has been doing to Thailand since Thaksin stepped in. And it's wholly consistent with the economic over through of developing countries since it began in 1970 in South America.

And I wonder if Thaksin and his lynchmob at the CFR are in a position to gain? PTT. The Telecommunications. Next stop, every hardworking Thai driven deeper into debt through Thaksin's easy money plan. 30 baht health that covers aspirin. Join rice pledging and get a credit card! 100,000 baht tax rebate off your new truck! "You need to borrow money to get ahead. That's what I did":Thaksin quote

Thaksinomics is low scale bribery which lubricates the mind to accept the next 'too good to be true" crime wave: rice pledging scheme. It's the "spoon full of honey, to help the medicine go down" -- the medicine of increased debt resulting in everyone becoming full blown debt slaves. Houses gone. Farms gone. Kids in the city getting a 'real' education so they have zero life skills, with disintegration of the family in the process. 'Divide and conquer".

This is the history of capitalism with an 'individual best interest' theme which runs contrary to our natural state of being social creatures and reliant upon one another for survival.

All to true

Sadly we are partially responsible.

This is the history of capitalism with an 'individual best interest' theme which runs contrary to our natural state of being social creatures and reliant upon one another for survival.

It may or may not have been a feudal system but the families were all together and happy.

We came along with are capitalism and materialism coupled to an attitude and are very busy in the process of destroying the family life.

Instead of importing it we are destroying it.sad.png

Thanong has many times buried Thaksin, but along with his constant claiming that the US and the USD are being buried with Thaksin, he hasn't been writing much else. Still, this was a pretty good overview on current conditions.

The bulk of taxes collected come from VAT, not from income taxes as many people mistakenly think. I suspect no matter who is in government that VAT will be raised to 10-12%. That means the rich RS people in Isaan will be paying for the politicians corruption the same as those in Bangkok.

Sooner or later, the RS's are going to figure out that they really don't need these Thaksin corrupt appointees, and they will come up with political parties of their own. After all, the Army is showing that they are out of the coup business, at least for now, and the Democratic Party is showing that they are no longer interested in politics, at least for now. It is a window of opportunity for an upcountry political party to further democracy in Thailand.

BTW, the rice scheme has not redistributed wealth. If it had, why would so many farmers be defaulting on their loans, especially to loan sharks? In addition, the EC is not getting in the way of allowing the Thai government from raising the funds to pay the farmers. It isn't the EC's fault that no Thai or foreign banks were interested in short term loans to help these people, including banks that do business in Isaan, despite the "risk free" status of an MOF guarantee. The only redistribution of wealth has been to those who have benefited by the corruption that you, yourself mention.

Thailand needs Isaan political parties, interested in helping the people of Isaan.

I believe we all ready have an upcountry political party and it wears red shirts and follows Thaksin.

It is a window of opportunity for an upcountry political party to further democracy in Thailand.

cancel the rice pledge then cancel the subsidy on diesel to pay what's owing. problem solved. the rots that follow will be interesting

Like buying a condo in Thailand these things are easy to do/start but can be very difficult to sell/stop. Does not matter

who is in power ending these programs will be difficult. facepalm.gif

I believe we all ready have an upcountry political party and it wears red shirts and follows Thaksin.

This will change. Thaksin and I are the same age. As much as we hope, neither of us will last forever.

Edited by Old Man River

I fell sorry for the farmers but the trusted a false prophet ... so mai pen rai to them

If anything DSI should freeze all the assets of Gov't officials and chuck the lot in jail

Anyone with half a brain knows the Gov't is culpable of mass gaft ... give their ill gotten gains to the farmers

If they had the means they wouldn't need to scrabble around and BEG for a loan that nobody it their right mind will give them.

They can't borrow from offshore as they have no credit, the state banks refuse point blank to let them touch the investors money, 35 Thai banks won't touch it with a bragepole and the BAAC is STILL owed 500 billion baht by the government for the revolving rice fund.

Overall I guess the government has no means to repay the loan. Unless you know better of course.

They have the means, they don't have a legal framework to do so.

Very very different meaning.

• Like 1

The "bottom rung in Thai society." Raise the real estate tax dramatically, pledge it back to the bottom rung to pay them for their hard earned money. Start charging for parking in Bangkok, raise property tax - The situation in Thailand with no property tax is untenable and it's a great way to pay down the debt to the farmers.

explain to me why property tax is a good thing? In my experience it forces the less well off from their property over time due to inflation. I have seen this happen many times. An older couple have land they have owned for 50 years but cannot afford to pay the tax on the value of the land in the present time and are forced off their land.

Any tax only gets sucked into the administration and public service accounts and usually achieves nothing more than a bloated administration.

Explain how any politician will pledge anything to anyone without their own self interest put first? Tax tax tax......why?????

Less tax....let people save or spend...up to them. If they spend the money circulates and helps the economy....if they save it helps them in the future.

Why support money going into a black hole other than to support people who would otherwise be unemployable?

My local government tax on my property in the centre of an up country town was, wait for it, 32 baht per year for a property one rai.

And they complained that the roads were bad.

If they levied 50 baht per rai or a tiny fee it would raise billions.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The "bottom rung in Thai society." Raise the real estate tax dramatically, pledge it back to the bottom rung to pay them for their hard earned money. Start charging for parking in Bangkok, raise property tax - The situation in Thailand with no property tax is untenable and it's a great way to pay down the debt to the farmers.

explain to me why property tax is a good thing? In my experience it forces the less well off from their property over time due to inflation. I have seen this happen many times. An older couple have land they have owned for 50 years but cannot afford to pay the tax on the value of the land in the present time and are forced off their land.

Any tax only gets sucked into the administration and public service accounts and usually achieves nothing more than a bloated administration.

Explain how any politician will pledge anything to anyone without their own self interest put first? Tax tax tax......why?????

Less tax....let people save or spend...up to them. If they spend the money circulates and helps the economy....if they save it helps them in the future.

Why support money going into a black hole other than to support people who would otherwise be unemployable?

My local government tax on my property in the centre of an up country town was, wait for it, 32 baht per year for a property one rai.

and in twenty years it was 50,000 baht? with a good road? and you can't pay the tax in your old age?

Edited by Mudcrab

This sounds like the economic model hatched in the mind of Robert Mugabe.

Wrong Robert Mugabe is leading the protest in Bangkok, if he is allowed to govern you will never be able to get rid of him!

Cheers

Of the farmers that have pledged their property as collateral to the BAAC, the government can offset part of what is owed by allowing forgiveness of the debt and release of the collateral. The BAAC is not governed by the BOT, despite the IMF's suggestion, as YL's government makes that decision, not the IMF or other international organizations. Therefore, for some they have the means as well.

and in twenty years it was 50,000 baht? with a good road? and you can't pay the tax in your old age?

Wrong, an Obama type tax on the ultra- rich is the way to pay for it,

and before the question is asked, Hell yes, they are making money hand over fist in Thailand increase their tax rate,

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Huh? I paid 32 baht last year for my rai. 1 USD.

If you are a land owner/farmer you essentially pay nothing for occupying the nations fundamental asset. There should be a cost to holding it.

Many farmers are not land owners they lease.

There should be a cost to holding land, the produce isn't taxed, and bear in mind that 70% of the land is held by 10% of the population. It is not somchai the famer with 1000s of rai under plantation.

There should be a yearly fee per rai. I don't see the problem. Don't let me get started on not charging for water....

Of the farmers that have pledged their property as collateral to the BAAC, the government can offset part of what is owed by allowing forgiveness of the debt and release of the collateral. The BAAC is not governed by the BOT, despite the IMF's suggestion, as YL's government makes that decision, not the IMF or other international organizations. Therefore, for some they have the means as well.

The baac hasn't got any cash. That is the basic problem.

Wrong Robert Mugabe is leading the protest in Bangkok, if he is allowed to govern you will never be able to get rid of him!

Cheers

Whilst it is true that Suteb's skin is pretty dark, last I knew Mugabe was a black man ( I use the word man literally, not figuratively of course ). Even without your glasses, you should be able to see the difference old man. clap2.gifclap2.gif

This whole trying to compare Suteb to every hated figure throughout history argument has got a bit old now hasn't it ? Got anything useful to say, really ?

if he is allowed to govern you will never be able to get rid of him!

This seems to describe Taksin pretty well, he is like a bad case of the clap that just won't stop itching ! ( Is that a bit below the belt ? ) cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What you wrote is true, so stop it! Don't you see that Thaksin is Lucifer incarnate? Don't you see that that the bus-burning, strangle holding protesters are pure as the driven snow and entirely non-violent? Don't you see that the country was happy and prosperous and clean long before Lucifer-Hitler-Thaksin was born? Fool!! Don't you read TV? Truth has no place in this fiasco (because calling it a debate is, itself, debatable). How dare you? You could hurt TV revenues..

cheesy.gif

another one of your pointless posts..hope your not the one educating your new arrival when its born...coffee1.gif solid as a rock you

What you wrote is true, so stop it! Don't you see that Thaksin is Lucifer incarnate? Don't you see that that the bus-burning, strangle holding protesters are pure as the driven snow and entirely non-violent? Don't you see that the country was happy and prosperous and clean long before Lucifer-Hitler-Thaksin was born? Fool!! Don't you read TV? Truth has no place in this fiasco (because calling it a debate is, itself, debatable). How dare you? You could hurt TV revenues..

cheesy.gif

another one of your pointless posts..hope your not the one educating your new arrival when its born...coffee1.gif solid as a rock you

Agreed and breeding too god help us !!!!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

No one likes you - we dont care!!

Farangs are commonly regarded as figures of fun with poor judgement, most of that has been confirmed by much of the drivel written on this site.

The Thais will resolve this soap opera and as with all Thai soap operas the ending is obvious once some logic is applied to the plot line. Its the end of the Shin clan, the forces lined up against him, Military, Police, Courts, Banks , Civil Service, Election Commission et al clearly indicates this is not Sutheps doing, he is just a front man for the most senior powers within Thailand. If the reds want to be taken as a credible political force then elect a credible leader, not a fugitive on the run with a dodgy family who's unusual wealth which at some point will come under scrutiny. The scale of Taksins families dubious acquisition of wealth could probably pay off the farmers.

• Like 2

The government should have budgeted for this payment BEFORE they called an election. The payments have been outstanding since October, before the EC were even involved.

Sent from my phone ...

Talking about budget it before the election, why not cancel the election and use the 3 million baht election budget to pay the farmers.

The election is meaningless or is it just another cover for the corrupt politicians to put their dirty hands in the election pot to buy their big houses and pink Rolls Royce's .

What you see is not what you get in Thaksinland

Talking about budget it before the election, why not cancel the election and use the 3 million baht election budget to pay the farmers.

The election is meaningless or is it just another cover for the corrupt politicians to put their dirty hands in the election pot to buy their big houses and pink Rolls Royce's .

What you see is not what you get in Thaksinland

The election supposedly costs 3.8 *Billion* baht.

But the government needs to find 130 Billion baht to pay the farmers.

Cheers

Mugabe is 90, Suthep is 64 and putting on miles every day. No comparison.

Cheers.

Why didn't they pay in October?

Because they gov't didn't have the money then either because so much had been skimmed over through corruption and many MP's pockets were well lined!