Thai retailer apology for controversial Chinese New Year ad

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here we go - Let's face it - since Dr. Seri said on stage and on TV (Blue Sky that is) that yellow skinned people are smarter than white skinned people there is a huge demand now not only for "yellowing" products - but now white women in Thailand are "pulling there eyes" in adds to look Asian because they want to be seen as smart!

There is also another great opportunity for "medical tourism" in Thailand. "Asian eye surgery" available in Hazelnut, Ocean Blue and Emerald Green - kind of like a facelift just a bit higher up.

We call it the "Smart Eyes" look or something? biggrin.png

I think you could be on to something here !

Contrary the media opinion, I think it is a rather clever ad, portraying the Chinese to be superior to non Asian races. The idea of Crixforever could become a reality as China becomes number one powerhouse of the world and some fashion victims will probably want to emulate them !

Whatever the outcome the Mall Management company certainly got its moneys worth as they are now known worldwide laugh.png

On a per capita level, China has decades to go to approach the levels of wealth of the west.

With they become of greater global influence, yes. Are they destined to become the dominant power in the world.

Ask again in 50 years. Where was china in 1964? A lot can change.

Yes, on a per capita basis, China has decades to go before it approaches the wealth levels of the West.

However, the theory goes that they don't need to have a GDP/GNP per capita that is as great as the USA or Europe to be a dominant power. :)

The size of the population is huge, and pretty soon, companies like Adidas, Levi Straus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Nokia, Samsung, etc, pretty soon, these companies will regard China as a bigger market than Western Europe. I think it already is the case that most 'Asian' countries recieve more tourists from China than any other country. And what about all that talk about how China is building up a giant trade surplus with the USA and the EU ?

Basically, China is able to export cheap manufactured goods to America and Europe, but it seems like China's imports are far smaller. When will the size of China's economy equal America's economy ? When will China sit alongside America as one of the two biggest economic powers ? It might be a lot less than fifty years ! :)

All possible, but I don't for one believe it will be a smooth path at all. With wealth comes freedom and the desire for rights.

Maintaining the growth level is getting harder and harder and already wages in most coastal areas have spiralled way beyond what anyone considers cheap.

They need 20mn new graduate jobs a year just to keep up. Do you think graduates in china want to flip burgers? The odds that there isn't enormous upheaval in china are very slim.

Love or loathe capitalism, rule of law and democracy but the ability for a country to absorb a shock and implement changes is unsurpassed in this system.

China may be storing up its own banking crisis that might make subprime look.like a light shower. 50 years is a very very long time in politics and economics.China still has 500mn peasant farmers. You think a thai farmer had it tough?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I'm a Chinese, I state again. And a mainland Chinese too.

I for one have worked in China for many years.

Well, one is a native PRChinese on the mainland (where they are really shut off from the world), and the other is presumably a fahlang in the PRC, but neither discusses the attitude of the Chinese toward what for easy reference in this discussion I shall call "Chinese eyes." So I hope this post can help to clarify an important point of the discourse, which is what do the PRChinese (to include the Chinese who don't like the CCP-PRC) think about attention given to their, again, "Chinese eyes"?

I came late to this thread so maybe it's been discussed and I missed it, but based on the discussion of the two posters I quote, it doesn't seem to me it's been discussed.

I lived and worked in the CCP-PRC for several years so I'm interested in whether either of you in your particular radically different experience regarding "Chinese eyes" might be the same as mine, which is that many Chinese absolutely, positively, definitely do not like discussion or attention given to their eyes. The Chinese I met and knew personally and at work react strongly against any reference to what, for easy reference only, I call "Chinese eyes."

The PRC is a big place, same size as the USA, and there are significant differences from one region to another, and subregional differences too - much, much more so than in the USA - and I don't know what part of the PRC either of you may be from, or have been in, and it's publically none of my business, but perhaps the Chinese people where I was in the South of the PRC are more sensitive than in the culturally and linguistically different North. It's possible the feelings of Chinese about his may vary by region or by the many subregional cultures, but not necessarily so.

Very sensitive about it in the South, really so. They don't like any attention to it at all - it's not a topic to discuss. Absolutely not.

What?

Reply to THAKKAR. No defence, i don't feel i need to defend myself against the PC mob, attack yes. My vitriol, as you describe it, wasn't directed against the Chinese but against the ultra-liberal people like yourself which is turning parts of my country into something like a suburb of Bangladesh.

A good friend of mine (Chinese) who i met in the design department of a firm in Germany where i once worked invited me to his home in China. I stayed 3 weeks ( i fancied his sister like mad) It was OK (they were/are Hi-So's ) What i disliked was having to wipe of/brush of the dried phlegm from my trouser bottoms and shoes every evening, i was always scared of getting TB.

The Chinese don't need defending, they feel themselves superior to anything and everything on Gods earth.

If you only meet lousy Chinese and go to lousy places in China, it is your own luck.

"The Chinese don't need defending, they feel themselves superior to anything and everything on Gods earth."---- this was written by YOURSELF.

And the poster is absolutely and positively accurate, correct, right. The Chinese regard the past 200 years of Western dominance led most recently by the USA to be a blip of history, a passing phenomenon, temporary, a bad streak of the 2500 or so years of China's history as a nation, currently being rectified as the CCP-PRC now has begun to reassert China's rightful place in the world as the master of it, soon to be realized.

And the rest of us are going to be punished for our disrespect, impudence and nasty deeds, severely so.

Bet your life on it.

aren't we becoming too dam_n sensitive? We allow the Chinese to live in all our countries, because they do not like staying put in their own place, they come, installl themselves, isolate themselves and start creating communities where they do not even speak the local language, we have to support them with our taxes, and then we are not allowed to make a joke about them? In our own country? Give me a break!!!

Below is a picture taken as a joke by the Spanish basketball team before their match againts China. Racist? I do not think so. Funny? Hell yeah

attachicon.gif1218569787639basketgrandedn.jpg

Racist? nope. Funny? Yes very funny indeed. As well as stupid, childish and showing off their level of IQ.

Isn't that the sort of thing that 5 year old do?

And so, what?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

aren't we becoming too dam_n sensitive? We allow the Chinese to live in all our countries, because they do not like staying put in their own place, they come, installl themselves, isolate themselves and start creating communities where they do not even speak the local language, we have to support them with our taxes, and then we are not allowed to make a joke about them? In our own country? Give me a break!!!

Below is a picture taken as a joke by the Spanish basketball team before their match againts China. Racist? I do not think so. Funny? Hell yeah

Racist? nope. Funny? Yes very funny indeed. As well as stupid, childish and showing off their level of IQ.

And so, what?

:)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/spanish-basketball-star-offers-apology-for-offensive-photo-898280.html

Right, it's dead easy for anybody to say "It was not meant to be offensive, who cares anyway if a bunch of Chinese have got their knickers in a twist (a bit angry) over this crap, it's funny, and we will try to carry on this stuff". :)

For anybody who can be bothered about the link above, right, it's an article from the Independent newspaper. One of the Spanish players did apologise for the advert, and he claimed that "some of the players had felt uncomfortable shooting the advert photo". That Spanish bloke plays his basketball at Los Angeles, and the article says "meanwhile condemnation of the incident in Pau Gasol's adopted home of Los Angeles has been unanimous". Also, the Spanish team played China in the Beijing Olympics, and they were "consistently booed throughout the game". :)

It's funny to note, that the Spanish basketball federation has a long-term sponsorship contract with a CHINESE clothing company called LI-NING !!!

Okay, laugh at whatever people (take the piss a bit) if nothing is going to happen to you. But surely, the Spanish basketball team did not know the offense they would cause by the photo. Why would you knowingly cause offense to Chinese people when one of your sponsors is actually Chinese ?

So, the photo was done, probably with ignorance towards the offence it later caused ! :)

And who will be the judge of that? YOU???

And so, what?

So what? Nanana, Nana!

I don't think there was any assumption of character or worth insinuated in the ad. To me, it was a bit of tongue in cheek humour, and anyone taking offence has a serious humour deficit problem.

Perhaps; it's impossible to read the minds of the marketing people and know what their intentions were. But any marketing professional worth his salt should know which topics to poke fun at and which ones to leave the hell alone. They probably should have left this one alone.

If, during a marketing review meeting, the question is asked: "is our ad racist?" and the answer comes back 'no', the next question that should be asked is "could our ad reasonably be perceived as racist?" Regardless of what was intended, public perception is what counts in the end.

I agree that there is a lot of unnecessary political correctness that often gets on my nerves. For some reason it's okay to say 'oriental rug' but it's not okay to say 'oriental person'. I don't see any pejorative there, and it's no worse than saying 'occidental person' in my book. But quite a lot of people tell me it's a slur, so I've discontinued using it.

I don't think there was any assumption of character or worth insinuated in the ad. To me, it was a bit of tongue in cheek humour, and anyone taking offence has a serious humour deficit problem.

Perhaps; it's impossible to read the minds of the marketing people and know what their intentions were. But any marketing professional worth his salt should know which topics to poke fun at and which ones to leave the hell alone. They probably should have left this one alone.

If, during a marketing review meeting, the question is asked: "is our ad racist?" and the answer comes back 'no', the next question that should be asked is "could our ad reasonably be perceived as racist?" Regardless of what was intended, public perception is what counts in the end.

I agree that there is a lot of unnecessary political correctness that often gets on my nerves. For some reason it's okay to say 'oriental rug' but it's not okay to say 'oriental person'. I don't see any pejorative there, and it's no worse than saying 'occidental person' in my book. But quite a lot of people tell me it's a slur, so I've discontinued using it.

OK.

I hope this is to be followed up by arresting people who aren't burglars, but could reasonably be perceived to be burglars.

Similarly people who aren't actually ex-Nazis, but could reasonably be perceived to be ex-Nazis, and so on.

It would kind of eliminate the principle of having to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt, but only having to prove apparence of guilt. Save a lot of money and effort since you could do it by interviews say...

During my Army Service I was forever being called Ginger, because of my hair colour. (Certainly not because of my sexual preferences) I now feel very hurt about this. Not the sexual preferences bit- and am contemplating suing the British Armed Forces and in particular the 2nd Regiment. Royal Horse Artillery for damages for the for-mentioned hurt feelings. People nowadays seem oblivious to how their seemingly innocent remarks can hurt one. I am sure my Jock, Geordy, Taffy and Paddy ex-comrades will agree with me.whistling.gif

Signed

Fat B******d!!

OK.

I hope this is to be followed up by arresting people who aren't burglars, but could reasonably be perceived to be burglars.

Similarly people who aren't actually ex-Nazis, but could reasonably be perceived to be ex-Nazis, and so on.

Worst. Analogy. Ever.

It is possible to make assumptions and perceive things about a person (whether accurately or not) without violating his civil rights. But since you brought it up, the police (at least in the US) do have the authority (granted by the 4th amendment of the constitution) to detain citizens if given probable cause. That means: they can detain arrest people based on reasonable perceptions and assumptions.

• 2 weeks later...

the police (at least in the US) do have the authority (granted by the 4th amendment of the constitution) to detain citizens if given probable cause. That means: they can detain arrest people based on reasonable perceptions and assumptions.

Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion and two totally different legal terms with their own specific definitions. Surely you are not comparing the perception of an advert to legal defined Probable Cause...

Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion and two totally different legal terms with their own specific definitions.

Not sure why you mentioned this - what is this in response to?

Surely you are not comparing the perception of an advert to legal defined Probable Cause...

You are correct - I am not doing that. What I am doing is responding to post #223, which said:

I brought up the fourth amendment to show that such actions, i.e. being detained on suspicion, are already perfectly legal.