Shots, blasts as protest rivals clash on Thai election eve

Lite Beer

Not Nation pic but as it is Reuters, some of us feel it could be genuine, unless the photographer is a thaksinisa on the dubai payroll. smile.png Quite clearly the PDRC are a paramilitary operation.

Come on Army. In US or Europe the army Would, 100% of shot all of them who did not immediately surrender. Thai Army Mai Pen Rai - we all the same Suthep gang.

BfZAOK0CMAE9j_r.jpg

That gun he's firing is a Tavor assault rifle, which just happens to be the new assault rifle of the Royal Thai Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

That does look like a TAR 21, where do you suppose he got one of those? So far, I've seen a lot of PDRC peeps firing guns and soldiers and police just watching or taking cover. Pretty easy to connect the dots folks.

Weren't some of these and other weapons lost by the army during the red shirt riots in 2010?

Look at the background on the picture you quoted, see the scarfs?

And unfortunately here his buddy forgot to take off his PDRC paraphernalia

CXlWY2x.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting... ThaiPBS (hardly a protester mouthpiece) has this version of today's events posted on their website:

Gunshots were fired, small bombs were thrown at anti government protesters at Laksi district office by red-shirt supporters injuring five protesters.

Soldiers were rushed in and evacuated some 200 protesters at the district office. Search was conducted to hunt down the red shirts who were from Pathumthani province. They came to force out the anti-government protesters led by abbot Luang Poo Bhuddhaisara who seized the office to block the election tomorrow.

The hard-core red shirts was followers of a local influential tycoon known as Ko Ti.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/category/breakingnews/

Only one problem with that, most reports say otherwise and you dont evacuate people by running about in balaclavas and cover a gun with a plastic bag and the dozens of photos and film show no evacuation by uniformed soldiers .... if you do have link and pics please post them but to date ive seen not one or mention of soldiers evacuating anyone ... just terrorists out on the street shooting people.

Edited by englishoak

Army captain, , army badge tried to run over protesters to get away. High ranking as well which is why I think the voters set about the car instead of him.

Army been far too involved helping PDRC. Do they think that endears people to them or what?

BfYY6eUCIAExHP-.jpg

1391251725-1391250585-o.jpg

They say they found this in the car (and presumably the badge is off the windscreen or rear-screen. If you look in the video, there is a badge on the front grill is there any closer photo of that badge?

The badge is Thai Armed Forces Headquarters (from the text in Thai), the emblem is a combination of the navy anchor, airforce wings, and army inner wreath.

(Link above is to Wikipedia above)

Added: Don't assume anything here, this photo came later and could be a deflection. However the badge on the front of the car grill is visible in the higher res versions of the video.

post-199953-0-71472500-1391274666_thumb.

I've been trying to pin down the badge on the front to confirm the driver was army. Maybe this type. it's not clear though, it matches the hat, but the one on the front of the car looks more like it has the full batch shown on the car sticker (two prongs not the one in the ebay photos)?

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

It could be a dumb question, but where the hell is the police????

I believe few days ago, government stated they mobilized 100 000 police, i do not see any in any of the video's

on election day, sunday.

they are and, most probably will be, unarmed. What they can do, at most, is to take evidence of shooting (pics, cartriges)

ummm, have you ever seen a thai policeman? maybe only with handguns, but most certainly all of them ARE armed. a little disconcerting when trying to argue with one over the tea money for violating a non-existent traffic violation!

This is all going to far now, where is the bloody army, come on You Top Generals show them what you are made of. 130,000 Police to protect 93,000 polling stations, what's going to happen when the 1 Cop goes for some food, piss or a shit. What a laugh.

It is going to be a disaster today.

as has been stated by others in here the reds are simply communists and this is the same sh*t that has happened in other communist countries. Thida is a communist and simply wants to see this country overrun by them, they are doing it by trying to start a war between the poor and the not so poor which has started to backfire as they stopped paying the poor. They do not want a united country they want a communist set up with the reds at the top of the pecking order and the poor as their personal slaves. Any red is the same and you may take that anyway you please, I dislike the yellows just as much but I will back the people of Thailand against any corrupt individuals that simply want whats best for them and the reds/thaksin/ptp are at the head of the list with the yellows fighting to get there as well. This is about all of the thai people, not just what the red dogs want or suthep, what the people want is an end to the corruption that the ptp/shina's are pushing on them. If you are unable to see past the bias of the reds/yellows to the truth then you are just as bad.

Reds are communists?

Then how do you explain Suthep protesters and guards wearing communist hats in almost every photo?

Add the "Secretary General of the PDRC" and the "People's Council" in there.

Who's the communist now?

30207537-01_big.jpg

Be43gC1CQAA8Y1f.jpg

575613_10201107025579663_1423669180_n.jp

09577a1b-b728-4339-bd3e-47757ffb368b-620

it's because they think it looks good.. same as the swastika t-shirts.. crazy init.

that picture of them in uniform they are members of the Communist Party of Thailand.. They don't like Thaksin. They say he is not helping the common man, just putting them in debt.. Rings true at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Communist-Party-of-ThailandCPT-%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%80%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AB%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A8%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%97/176478352383229

Yes, there are former CPT activists on both sides. The ones on the PDRC side were close to Surayud (whose father was a communist incidentally) I believe. Think he helped them get land in the 80s. People are assuming that because they used to be communists (i.e. Thida and Weng) that they still are. The anti-govt former CPT above are avowed royalists these days. Thirayuth was a former hardcore communist who called for the monarchy to be overthrown. Now he's a middle of the road, fairly conservative academic.

Many, like the students, joined the communists because they had no choice - some of these former student leaders who joined the CPT are quite prominent on both sides. They had a lot of arguments with the Maoists and many were frustrated by the dogmatic attitudes of the CPT leadership. If they ever held communist views, I doubt many of them do now. Some lean left more than others, but not outright Maoist. Those days are over.

I think being a former communist is a bit like how many Thais like to show that they're alumni of certain universities. It's a badge of identity, but no longer represents any coherent ideology.

I believe few days ago, government stated they mobilized 100 000 police, i do not see any in any of the video's

Busy trying to get themselves into safety along with some army personel and a couple of danish news reporters.

Don't know who uploaded the clip.

Saw a related clip on danish television where the same reporter said that the police and army didn't interfeer, because they were afraid to escalate the situation and in the end, end up fighting eachother because they were on both sides of the fence in this matter

No idea if that is true or not..

But If the police and army can't stop this who will?

I hope the Thai's settle heir problems without any more bloodshed, but that seems like a naive hope.

Saddens me to see what is happening.

RT@RichardBarrow: VIDEO: Gunfire & explosions in #Bangkok on the eve of national elections - RT @go6tv: คลิปปะทะ แยกหลักสี่ youtube.com/watch?v=_wVmQA #Thailand

Thank you for sharing this video, it provides a clearer picture for me. I'm here in CM and lately haven't had any time to turn on the television. Being somewhat firmiluar with Bangkok it made me have a better understanding when seeing what's really happening there which is very scary especially for people living in those areas.. Its difficult to fully understand what they must feel, so sad.

This video shows only what's going on in a relatively small area of the city, if this starts really spreading Thailand will be in a bigger mess. Let's pray that this will not happen. If it does you can bet that we will all be affected in one way or another. Prices will be going up! I've already had it happen to me. It's costing me almost 300 baht more for an A\C unit being shipped to me from BKK.

The two foreigners I observed in the video raised my curiosity, the ones seen in the room where someone appeared to be treated for a wound. Anyone have any idea why there might be foreigners in that situation?

sheesh... make that 300 deletions

What's your vested interest in censorship?

Makes no difference to me.

Your issue is with Forum Admin.

I just want to save posters from wasting their time posting unsourced and copyrighted photos and those replying to those posts, as they are all destined for deletion, as they have in other threads.

• Like 1

This is why peaceful protesters have one or two protest sites, so it can be better policed and safer for everyone.

Tens of sites across a city is guerrilla warfare tactics. Impossible to police properly and leads to violence.

Unless of course that is what some protest leaders really want whistling.gif

Edited by firestar

1391278140-mob-o.jpg

A nice summary shot, showing the various shooters where they were in the PDRC mob. Looks like the man behing the box can be matched too.

Connects all the shooters to the PDRC mob.

At least a few of these gunmen and spotters/aids are ex or current paramilitary. Very damning and sad to see

Edited by englishoak

I have a question.

Why are the PDRC shooters dressed in Black? whistling.gif

Suthep and his cronies have lost the battle and are desperate at this point to create an insurrection at any cost, this scenario that is playing itself out here in real time is the last ditch effort within sutheps ranks to disrupt the election. The military should step in at the polling places tomorrow to make certain that anyone (on either side) carrying an unlawful weapon or anyone who inteds to dispupt the elction process is immediately arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law thumbsup.gif

Where is the Police and the Army?

Indeed.

Typical of the customary Thai rooted tradition of not planning for contingencies, rather only try to face problems only when and if they occur. The whole corruption rigged system is akin to a circus. What if the rice farmers' plight turns against the Sin-a-wats? The system has failed education. This in turn has led to fear of free speech.....this in turn has allowed corruption in every facet of Thailand - okay, I know some here will argue that corruption exists in almost all countries, but so blatantly? Apparently only 24% of the voting public are either reds or yellows, what of the rest 76% - pure apathy? Sometimes leaves me speechless........

• Like 1

1391278140-mob-o.jpg

A nice summary shot, showing the various shooters where they were in the PDRC mob. Looks like the man behing the box can be matched too.

At least a few of these gunmen and spotters/aids are ex or current paramilitary. Very damning and sad to see

Actually something good might come out of this and red shirt/UDD core leaders get the message through their thick heads that the other side is also ready to play by their dirty rules. This is not going to be 2010 when UDD/Red shirt terrorists intimidated and terrorized Bangkokian with the impunity. The message is clear. The violence will be met with the violence. What did you expect? 10 protesters were killed and many more injured so far. One of their leaders was killed. They are not going to sit on their assess and wait to be picked out like pigeons. There is still time to compromise.

• Like 1

It was inevitable or always possible that the anti-government protesters were armed.

No suprise at all.

The Police and Army supposidely hid because it was reported that they were not supposed to be armed at protest sites.

Their hands are tied against armed aggression given these constraints.

A lot of Media observed and caught the anti government supposidely with weapons because the Media was within the anti government protesters.

Doubtful the Media was within, or close to the pro govrnment and Red Shirts to get good pictures and video of that group.

The big questions should be;

1. Why did the pro government protesters rally where they knew they would encounter the anti government protesters?

2. Who actually did start the armed violence ? (many conflicting news reports which side started it, but no actual video/pictures (that has been posted here) leading up to the violence).

As long as these groups are allowed to run into each other's protests, there probably will be problems.

• Like 1

I stay indoors with my family.

Everybody seems to have access to guns and even assualt rifles these day's

On wrong move towards my family and i'm of to Laos....peace and tranquility..folks!

1391278140-mob-o.jpg

Actually something good might come out of this and red shirt/UDD core leaders get the message through their thick heads that the other side is also ready to play by their dirty rules. This is not going to be 2010 when UDD/Red shirt terrorists intimidated and terrorized Bangkokian with the impunity. The message is clear. The violence will be met with the violence. What did you expect? 10 protesters were killed and many more injured so far. One of their leaders was killed. They are not going to sit on their assess and wait to be picked out like pigeons. There is still time to compromise.

Something good? SOMETHING GOOD? Urban guerrilla is good?

You are so wrong... Totally wrong.

Quite clearly here you can see the PDRC guy has a gun hidden in a bag.... So peaceful arn't they.

We been saying for weeks, there is a group of armed masked men marching with Suthep and there to protect him and the mob. Video of the day this and had a great outing on Twitter as well. Which means Reauters, AFP, BBC. All seen Sutheps peacuful protesters not obstructing polls.

Make is so much harder for the army to coup now. This video speaks a million words about this disgusting spectacle of a mob let loose in Bangkok by the Elites in order to get at their prize. Which is also out in the open now.

*Video deleted*

yes, how dare they start to protect themselves when the police stand by and let the red shirts use machine guns on them, totally disgusting, why cant they just stand there and let the red shirts shoot them without retaliating. Notice there was no violence till the red shirts showed up again, the abc has a video of the redshirt blockade with their molotov cocktails already set up waiting. This is what reds are good at, killing people that have a different thought to them, they are scum as are any who support them.

Your starting to sound like them

To expand on the PDRC cowardice. They first hid behind portraits of HM, then wrapped themselves in the flag. Then they marched behind the ICRC flag and now they are wearing press armbands and endangering the press. most of whome are not fascists.

Few truck loads of armed PRDC also filmed leaving asoke area to go and help them.

Will the army come in on the right side this time, of will they defend Suthep down to his last man?

PDRC guys in the stills are quite cleary Army and the pics circulating wildely so some one will out them tonight for sure. Seen the pic all over facebook. wife got it on pantipcom and its all over twitter... oh and here. they are forces and need to be outed.

Shock Horror!! The PDRC have weapons!!!

Evil Men, criminals, terrorists, thugs, fascists, murderers.

Of course, everyone fails to mention the nightly attacks on their protest sites by REAL cowards, the assassination of one of their leaders, and the apparent torture and murder of one of their supporters.

The very people employed to stop these acts, the police have done absolutely nothing, so who should be surprised if the protesters are armed and willing to protect themselves.

Certainly Pipkins won't be spreading the word on the crimes committed by his beloved red shirts.

That torture could've been done by the PDRC themselves. No one knows for sure but it's as plausible as blaming the other side. I certainly don't support the nightly attacks* - they should be dispersed by the police for their own safety and that of others (as their leadership is clearly unwilling to negotiate). Or at least moved to a less disruptive area. If they were peacefully protesting in a park, there wouldn't be any attacks. Problem is, as you've seen, should police try to disperse them, you're going to have a situation akin to that of 2010. Could be a train wreck of similarly monumental proportions, with many dead on both sides. Police would have no choice but to deploy snipers and the like. So what is to be done?

*Though if you read Shawn Crispin's latest article, it may be more complicated than simply pointing the finger at the red shirts. Apparently mafia elements may be involved. Not sure how much creedence I give that, but it's certainly the case there could well be more than two groups involved.

Just a FYI for those that do not know:

Lak Si is not far from Don Muang Airport.

The Tolway near the Shooting and Bombings is the Tollway from Downtown Bangkok to Don Muang.

Lak Si is nowhere near BKK International Airport as some people had suggested.

Being that close to Don Muang Airport tho is worrying enough

1391278140-mob-o.jpg

Former Tahaan Phran from the South perhaps? Certainly this guy looks like he's not seen active service for a while:

BfZI19mCUAAbzsy.jpg

RT@RichardBarrow: VIDEO: Gunfire & explosions in #Bangkok on the eve of national elections - RT @go6tv: คลิปปะทะ แยกหลักสี่ youtube.com/watch?v=_wVmQA #Thailand

Thank you for sharing this video, it provides a clearer picture for me. I'm here in CM and lately haven't had any time to turn on the television. Being somewhat firmiluar with Bangkok it made me have a better understanding when seeing what's really happening there which is very scary especially for people living in those areas.. Its difficult to fully understand what they must feel, so sad.

This video shows only what's going on in a relatively small area of the city, if this starts really spreading Thailand will be in a bigger mess. Let's pray that this will not happen. If it does you can bet that we will all be affected in one way or another. Prices will be going up! I've already had it happen to me. It's costing me almost 300 baht more for an A\C unit being shipped to me from BKK.

The two foreigners I observed in the video raised my curiosity, the ones seen in the room where someone appeared to be treated for a wound. Anyone have any idea why there might be foreigners in that situation?

To get pictures? To file a report? To make a living? To satisfy a curiosity? All of these may be valid. One doesn't need an invite, ticket or black tie to attend these kind of events.

Edited by 15Peter20

To expand on the PDRC cowardice. They first hid behind portraits of HM, then wrapped themselves in the flag. Then they marched behind the ICRC flag and now they are wearing press armbands and endangering the press. most of whome are not fascists.

Few truck loads of armed PRDC also filmed leaving asoke area to go and help them.

Will the army come in on the right side this time, of will they defend Suthep down to his last man?

PDRC guys in the stills are quite cleary Army and the pics circulating wildely so some one will out them tonight for sure. Seen the pic all over facebook. wife got it on pantipcom and its all over twitter... oh and here. they are forces and need to be outed.

Shock Horror!! The PDRC have weapons!!!

Evil Men, criminals, terrorists, thugs, fascists, murderers.

Of course, everyone fails to mention the nightly attacks on their protest sites by REAL cowards, the assassination of one of their leaders, and the apparent torture and murder of one of their supporters.

The very people employed to stop these acts, the police have done absolutely nothing, so who should be surprised if the protesters are armed and willing to protect themselves.

Certainly Pipkins won't be spreading the word on the crimes committed by his beloved red shirts.

That torture could've been done by the PDRC themselves. No one knows for sure but it's as plausible as blaming the other side. I certainly don't support the nightly attacks* - they should be dispersed by the police for their own safety and that of others (as their leadership is clearly unwilling to negotiate). Or at least moved to a less disruptive area. If they were peacefully protesting in a park, there wouldn't be any attacks. Problem is, as you've seen, should police try to disperse them, you're going to have a situation akin to that of 2010. Could be a train wreck of similarly monumental proportions, with many dead on both sides. Police would have no choice but to deploy snipers and the like. So what is to be done?

*Though if you read Shawn Crispin's latest article, it may be more complicated than simply pointing the finger at the red shirts. Apparently mafia elements may be involved. Not sure how much creedence I give that, but it's certainly the case there could well be more than two groups involved.

I'm staying firmly out of this bun-fight of hysterical accusations, but really? That the protesters after shooting themselves, throwing grenades at themselves now are torturing themselves?

This situation is messy enough without farang adding to it and whipping the hysteria even higher.

Stay safe everyone, yes even you shit-flingers.

• Like 1