Shots, blasts as protest rivals clash on Thai election eve

Lite Beer

Army captain, , army badge tried to run over protesters to get away. High ranking as well which is why I think the voters set about the car instead of him.

Army been far too involved helping PDRC. Do they think that endears people to them or what?

BfYY6eUCIAExHP-.jpg

1391251725-1391250585-o.jpg

They say they found this in the car (and presumably the badge is off the windscreen or rear-screen. If you look in the video, there is a badge on the front grill is there any closer photo of that badge?

The badge is Thai Armed Forces Headquarters (from the text in Thai), the emblem is a combination of the navy anchor, airforce wings, and army inner wreath.

(Link above is to Wikipedia above)

Added: Don't assume anything here, this photo came later and could be a deflection. However the badge on the front of the car grill is visible in the higher res versions of the video.

I've been trying to pin down the badge on the front to confirm the driver was army. Maybe this type. it's not clear though, it matches the hat, but the one on the front of the car looks more like it has the full batch shown on the car sticker (two prongs not the one in the ebay photos)?

To me it looks like two completely different cars.

The one with the hat has the armed forces patch, which is not seen on the other car. Also the front of the car and what you can see of the grill and head lights position look different

Edited by tobf16

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a man pulled an assault rifle from a bag and began spraying bullets WHY DON"T THEY JUST SAY IT AS IT IS! RED SHIRTS opened fire!

I have a feeling that you are not really tuned in to the subject - its the Reds who are trying to defend the electted - yes you read it right - elected govt, which is opposite to the yellow shirts who have caused all of this from the onset, the reds are standing up for democratic process and as loyal thais are just wanting the election to go through as decreed and to protect the elected govt,,, the only way the yellow shirts can see is to get rid of all the yellow shirts and all they know how to do this is to lob a few bombs or drive by the reds and shoot them up, all too confusing, and its not really the people involved in the protests but their power hungry leaders who are hell bent on bringing down the existing elected govt and the only thing they know is to create mayhem thru voilent bloodletting, well sorry you crazy yellow lads but the elections will go ahead, the current legally elected govt with be returned possibly with a majority and even though this should be the final saga in this episode the yellows are sure to keep this going so it seems that we are going to be here for the long run, talking about protests and kicking out the govt , better to pay someone to take out the yellow leadership as they have their own set of ajenda and one of these is to have their own power base in the gove - can yoiu imagine this country being run by a committee, what a laugh, so this committee would report to another committee and so on, and so on. Yinluck is the PM and will still be the PM at the end of the day to day - good luck to her - do you yellow crazies really want someone like the leader of the yellows leading this country - come on be honest - better to elect your mother in law.. cheesy.gif

you can post all the photo's you like and argue all you like and I'm being neutral here but if the police refuse to step in and restore order and the anti government protestors are under attack from heavily armed militants then if I was in their position I'd want to arm myself and retaliate or at least protect myself

This whole thread is absolutely useless - what we have is generally peaceful protests that have come under constant armed attack - it's about time they retaliated - not such an easy target for these cowards that have been taking advantage

and I don't approve of any of it but when the authorities refuse to act then they don't have much choice

It's time the army stepped in and put an end to this before it really gets out of control

• Like 1

two fairly good posts above retsdon and brownbear

The problem in Thailand is rampant greed and power to achieve it, you have the same political faces appear every 5 years in a constant corrupt cycle and they get better at it every time , these people need flushed out of the system with life ban

I'm not sure I like or trust suthep but I do trust the millions of ordinary people that have made it very plain they want change and are fed up with the rampant corruption that has plagued this country for years - I believe Thaksin has really pushed the boundaries these last 2 years to levels that are almost inconceivable but he is a man with money and wants payback for his face, he has used his money to finance a mafia headed by the government of a magnitude never seen before in this country

Here is a sample of how dirty a game this is (posted before and I hope it goes viral)

From another thread on TV

you people want to know what this is about

The government once announced that the sale of stockpiled rice would be done under a G2G (government to government) arrangement via a Chinese company called GSSG Import & Export Corporation, whose sole appointed agent in Thailand is Mr. Natthanit Sojirakul, a.k.a. 'Palm' who is the personal assistant of Udonthani MP Rapheephan Phongrueangrong, wife of red shirt leader Arisman Phongrueangrong.

Mr. Natthanit in tern issued a formal letter appointing as his representative Mr. Nimol Rakdee, who is the right hand man of Sia Piang.

It was Mr. Nimol Rakdee's job purchase rice from the government under the G2G scheme via the Department of Foreign Trade. Sia Piang then takes the rice which was sold at a price below market rates due to the fact that there was no public auction as per G2G regulations, and sells them to the rice mills at market rates.

The government loses money once because Sia Piang pockets the difference between the G2G price and the market rates. The rice mills then sell the rice back to the government, causing the government to lose money the twice because the government is obliged to buy the rice at 40% above the market rate.

It is probably not negligence or coincidence that causes the government loses money in this way. More likely because Sia Piang (circled) is a close associate of Thaksin.

Selling the rice under a G2G scheme (to avoid a public tender) is actually a scheme to sell the rice to corporations belonging to people close to Thaksin Shinawatra.

All the good people of Thailand (97%) need to read this

pretty much sums it up for me

• Like 1

400 baht + beer being offerred...its a sitcom.. only in Thailand could someone pay for votes in an election that serves no purpose...its been a long night as yesterday the offer was just beer, the locals here are not having any of it.

They got 2500 in the district elections

Edited by Bkkbound

At least a few of these gunmen and spotters/aids are ex or current paramilitary. Very damning and sad to see

What is damning about being ex-paramilitary? Does service to your country exclude you from all political involvement and thought for the rest of your life?

Not Nation pic but as it is Reuters, some of us feel it could be genuine, unless the photographer is a thaksinisa on the dubai payroll. smile.png Quite clearly the PDRC are a paramilitary operation.

Come on Army. In US or Europe the army Would, 100% of shot all of them who did not immediately surrender. Thai Army Mai Pen Rai - we all the same Suthep gang.

BfZAOK0CMAE9j_r.jpg

That gun he's firing is a Tavor assault rifle, which just happens to be the new assault rifle of the Royal Thai Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

Oh dear. That is bad news for the coup. Can't wait for the spin on this one. No wonder the army boss looks so damned happy tonight.

So, the Thai army bought this tavor and now somebody on PDRC side, with army protecting them, is firing one in the streets of Bangkok in order to stop voters from voting. Hmmm what will obama et al make of that.

Its an asault rifle that is really going to take some explaining away by the army

Here is a pic of the peaceful machine that PDRC saw fit to unleash on Bangkok. there were at least two as the one everybody was desdribing as looking as if the butt had been sawn off was also one of these.

BfZA9aRCUAAFmAH.jpg

I disagree. The Travor doesn't make such a big flash. The sound from a Travor higher pitch than the low solid boom from the video. I think its a shot gun.

What do you think his left hand is doing? Also, has anybody speculated what the nationality of this guy is? He looks like a westerner to me.

take away people's basic human rights and you can expect a backlash

most of the world fights FOR elections - and Thailand fights to STOP them

They are fighting for reform .. nobody other than pro-government support have said no election .. Suthep said reform then elections in 12-18 months.

I could ask. Why is Yingluck clinging to the PM's seat when she could step down for the good of the country?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because she is elected, has massive support @.

We don't want her to step down and give every bodies rights to Suthep. Democracy is worth fighting for and you will see many more people rally around that cause than Sutheps. Up to the Army now, they left now defending a few hundred of sutheps vilest followers. Many will be watermelon and might not be to accurate when they are taking aim!!! Bit of friendly fire... Army do it all the time!!! Don't bank on them all to be in this.

Suthep gets in, we best all pack our bags as it will follow the same pattern as many times in other countrys. Suthep gets in, has lots of scores to settle, does not trust anybody else incase they have contrary ideaa to him. Dissenters beaten up (we seen this already) then take over of every fascet of life.

Later, armed rebellioin against Suthep group (seeing this to start already and he isn't even in) and a major war to clear him and his backers out.

Make no mistake, if Suthep has to be foreced out, they will get the backers next time.

Who's we? are you Thai? Have a lay down mate,you are not on Bonus or maybe it just feels like it?

• Like 2

RT@RichardBarrow: VIDEO: Gunfire & explosions in #Bangkok on the eve of national elections - RT @go6tv: คลิปปะทะ แยกหลักสี่ youtube.com/watch?v=_wVmQA… #Thailand

Any idea WHY they were beating the car?

That was my thought too. Please can somebody on here translate what was being shouted. Many thanks.

Naughty,naughty car.

""The government is corrupt. If we let the vote go on then they will come back, so we should not hold the election," said opposition protester Sirames, who gave only one name, at the Lak Si office before violence broke out."

But this is legal to prevent other people for diong what is their legal right? The only DEMOCRATIC way to do what you want is to VOTE. You people in Bangkok think you are so SMART, but you are the un-educated ones.

RT@RichardBarrow: VIDEO: Gunfire & explosions in #Bangkok on the eve of national elections - RT @go6tv: คลิปปะทะ แยกหลักสี่ youtube.com/watch?v=_wVmQA… #Thailand

Any idea WHY they were beating the car?

That was my thought too. Please can somebody on here translate what was being shouted. Many thanks.

The guy in the silver car is from the govt and has something to do with a polling station. The people hitting his car want him to get out, go away.

• Like 2

"They are fighting for reform .. nobody other than pro-government support have said no election .. Suthep said reform then elections in 12-18 months."

When are you people going to wake up the suthep lies all the time and you keep on believing him. What kind of reform does HE want. None. He says he will not block elections or stop people from voting with one half of his mouth and on the other half just the opposite.

• Like 1

At least a few of these gunmen and spotters/aids are ex or current paramilitary. Very damning and sad to see

What is damning about being ex-paramilitary? Does service to your country exclude you from all political involvement and thought for the rest of your life?

Paramilitary is considered to be a subjective term but it has strong negative connotations in long time popular use. It usually refers to right wing armed forces that are not officially of the armed forces of a country's government and thus not subject to military law, either of the country or in respect of international laws governing armed conflict. Armed left wing groups are usually called guerillas.

In the CCP-PRC Beijing organized the People's Armed Police, a paramilitary organization, when the army complained to Deng Xiao Peng after Deng used the army to slaughter Chinese in the Tianamen massacre of 1989. That's now job of the PAP which has been used often in unreported mass demonstrations in the PRChina over the years and lately especially.

Paramilitary are irregular military forces in contrast to the official armed forces of a government which are referred to as the regular forces, or regulars. In the United States regular army are identified by the serial number which begins with RA - regular army. A classic instance of irregular paramilitary military forces - and Brits or Irish know where this is going - is the IRA.

Paramilitary have a history in Thailand, to include especially the massacre of students at Thammasat in 1976 and in other killings of the opponents of a government. Often active duty soldiers acting on orders disguise themselves as hit men and in such roles are called paramilitary.

There's just no doubt paramilitary are out there now, and probably right now are resupplying themselves with ammunition expended earlier last night. The irony now is that the paramilitary are being used against the current government.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

I am in KL and at the hostel, ALL the conversation is about "I have just come from Thailand as I was worried " followed by "I was going to go to Thailand but now I am going to Myanmar, Cambodia, anywhere else but Thailand.

Something interesting from last night's shooting on Chaeng Wattana that might provide some information for the "Tavor v shotgun" debate. This is the photo of the "apprehended" shooter. The weapon looks like it could easily fit in that bag.

https://twitter.com/Nalinee_PLE/status/429701058906951680/photo/1

Edited by draftvader

Interesting... ThaiPBS (hardly a protester mouthpiece) has this version of today's events posted on their website:

Gunshots were fired, small bombs were thrown at anti government protesters at Laksi district office by red-shirt supporters injuring five protesters.

Soldiers were rushed in and evacuated some 200 protesters at the district office. Search was conducted to hunt down the red shirts who were from Pathumthani province. They came to force out the anti-government protesters led by abbot Luang Poo Bhuddhaisara who seized the office to block the election tomorrow.

The hard-core red shirts was followers of a local influential tycoon known as Ko Ti.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/category/breakingnews/

Hmmm, some pro-govt people seem to think ThaiPBS is biased against them. I think they seem pretty neutral - have people who support both sides working for them. Yet this report is clearly inadequate as a description of what happened. It seems to be pretty much the anti-govt version of things, but it doesn't seem to match up with other reports I've read.

Perhaps it's half the truth at best, but I wouldn't really trust these 'breaking news' things anyway. Earlier the BKK Post labelled a clearly anti-govt protester with a gun as 'a gunman firing towards the anti-government protesters' and a couple of months back The Nation reported that 5 students had died at Ramkhamhaeng University, when of course, it was actually 1 student and 3 red shirts that were killed. Best to wait until multiple reports from various sources have come in before rushing to conclusions (this comment not directed at you, John, just generally true).

Edited by Emptyset

Something interesting from last night's shooting on Chaeng Wattana that might provide some information for the "Tavor v shotgun" debate. This is the photo of the "apprehended" shooter. The weapon looks like it could easily fit in that bag.

Surely the guy shooting at Chaeng Wattana was presumably anti-anti-govt right... doesn't seem likely it'd be the same guy. Anyway, I thought people were pretty certain it was an M16 given the guy next to him is pictured carrying an M16 clip.

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

• Like 1

400 baht + beer being offerred...its a sitcom.. only in Thailand could someone pay for votes in an election that serves no purpose...its been a long night as yesterday the offer was just beer, the locals here are not having any of it.

They got 2500 in the district elections

hmmmm, do you have any idea know who gerry mander is?

then again.it's a pity we don't have Diebold ballot boxes here, apparently they could have solved everything, seemed to work purrfectly fine at my uncle sam's ;-)

...bangers & mush cos it's break and run-fast time holmes, peace !!!

Needless to say BlueSky have been taken off air

They have jazz musicians on now, no mention of these incidents at all...

Meanwhile every airhead that ever there was will gather her for certain because todays the day the idiot have thier picnic.

Suthep needs all the help he can get so I'm plugging his picnic day. Mainly because it is the biggest colletcion of jerks I have ever seen assembled. Enjoy

Suthep is now relying on these people. Bad as it looks from the still on the front, belive me it gets much worse. talk about brain drain!!

National Picnic Day, this is a joke right?

All elections for a position of alpha male involves bribing the slaves with their own money. You take their productivity at gunpoint through taxation, and give some of it back to your voters. It's a pathetic stat of human development. The poor fighting over the extortion rights of billionaires. People being bribed with their own money.

About as silly as monks sitting under a golden roof, telling people that material possessions do not bring happiness so you should give your stuff to him. Democracy is just the latest religion.

• Like 1

1391278140-mob-o.jpg

A nice summary shot, showing the various shooters where they were in the PDRC mob. Looks like the man behing the box can be matched too.

Connects all the shooters to the PDRC mob.

Actually something good might come out of this and red shirt/UDD core leaders get the message through their thick heads that the other side is also ready to play by their dirty rules. This is not going to be 2010 when UDD/Red shirt terrorists intimidated and terrorized Bangkokian with the impunity. The message is clear. The violence will be met with the violence. What did you expect? 10 protesters were killed and many more injured so far. One of their leaders was killed. They are not going to sit on their assess and wait to be picked out like pigeons. There is still time to compromise.

Yea let the ordinary people vote would be a good start, don't strip them of their right

• Like 1

Why do you continue to suggest it's a shotgun? He's clearly holding the stock with this left hand. Also, do you think the M16 casing is just for show?

Paramilitary is considered to be a subjective term but it has strong negative connotations in long time popular use. It usually refers to right wing armed forces that are not officially of the armed forces of a country's government and thus not subject to military law, either of the country or in respect of international laws governing armed conflict. Armed left wing groups are usually called guerillas.

In the CCP-PRC Beijing organized the People's Armed Police, a paramilitary organization, when the army complained to Deng Xiao Peng after Deng used the army to slaughter Chinese in the Tianamen massacre of 1989. That's now job of the PAP which has been used often in unreported mass demonstrations in the PRChina over the years and lately especially.

Paramilitary are irregular military forces in contrast to the official armed forces of a government which are referred to as the regular forces, or regulars. In the United States regular army are identified by the serial number which begins with RA - regular army. A classic instance of irregular paramilitary military forces - and Brits or Irish know where this is going - is the IRA.

Paramilitary have a history in Thailand, to include especially the massacre of students at Thammasat in 1976 and in other killings of the opponents of a government. Often active duty soldiers acting on orders disguise themselves as hit men and in such roles are called paramilitary.

There's just no doubt paramilitary are out there now, and probably right now are resupplying themselves with ammunition expended earlier last night. The irony now is that the paramilitary are being used against the current government.

Nice of someone to get the reference Pub no surprises you did, wink.png the fact is that the Thai forces here are not the servants of the government first and foremost but rather another entity, read their mandate if you don't believe me. I should have made it clear to what I was alluding, that paramilitary here in Thailand are and have been very active in their involvement in many incidents, during the 1970s and including yesterday. They get away with it because of the way the forces are set up allowing them to meddle and always will, until something changes and they are forced by stripping their power to serve the country instead of oppressing it.

Dosn't take much to work it out, there is evidence abundant if people wish to go do a little bit of searching.

I have no time for paramilitary of any sort, they are terrorists pure and simple and so are those that are ex.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

take away people's basic human rights and you can expect a backlash

most of the world fights FOR elections - and Thailand fights to STOP them

Your words show your ignorance of the situation.

Human rights are an abstract (and modern) concept created by the a few countries in the West. There is no such thing as human rights!

I'm sure you're not concerned overly with so called human rights when you're hiring a woman.

• Like 1

Surely the guy shooting at Chaeng Wattana was presumably anti-anti-govt right... doesn't seem likely it'd be the same guy. Anyway, I thought people were pretty certain it was an M16 given the guy next to him is pictured carrying an M16 clip.

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

The guy as he's shown at the right should work as a target in a shooting gallery because he's perfect.

a man pulled an assault rifle from a bag and began spraying bullets WHY DON"T THEY JUST SAY IT AS IT IS! RED SHIRTS opened fire!

bet you're feeling pretty silly for posting this now

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/01/world/asia/thailand-gunfire/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

'Witnesses saw at least eight gunmen emerge from the ranks of the anti-government protests and open fire for about 30 minutes toward police and pro-government demonstrators.'

Why do you continue to suggest it's a shotgun? He's clearly holding the stock with this left hand. Also, do you think the M16 casing is just for show?

Seriously? It was just interesting to see this short shotgun from last night. I never thought it was the same man. Another poster used sense and just replied with the image of the M16 cartridge that I hadn't seen yet. Thanks to that poster.