Shots, blasts as protest rivals clash on Thai election eve

Lite Beer

Nowhere does a country belong to the people and is it never the job of the police to protect the people. The country belongs always to the elites and the police job is to protect the elites from the people. If the police worked for you, you could fire them, you can't

• Like 1

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear 'O' Dear and tomorrow is the actual day of the election!!!!

We Farangs should go Church tomorrow to pray for Thailand

Everyone is welcome to their beliefs. Personally I don't think anyone is listening.

Haven't seen anything on Thai TV at all about this, even the stations that have news programs on now. I have true, so I don't get them all, but its shameful. TNN is going on and on about preparations for the election. Showing people putting up boxes for ballots all over the country. Nice.

That is testament to how strong the censorship is here in the LOS. To refer to this as a true democracy is stretching the limits of the definition a bit. Almost a democracy is probably closer to the truth, though an even more extreme version of that is apparent in my home country, the good old US of A.

• Like 1

You mean the guy with the huge gun he's trying to hide in a shopping bag, and firing indiscriminately, is being defensive?

I think he's laying down covering fire and bombs for a retreat of Suthep's mob. In the short video near the top, Sutheps lot are retreating from the pro-democracy group. Mr shooter-and-friend are towards the back of the Suthep mob, shooting back across to the other lane. A bomb goes off right (where the grey car was), middle (where the woman was videoing from), like he's scattering bombs (was there a bomb in the left lane too??) in front of the pro-democracy protestors to keep them away.

It looks like the protestors have a lot of armed guards too:

1537401_732498763435081_1743128450_o.jpg

(added, the facebook page is trying to make the point that they're wearing the green of the Thai Journalists Association to look like press, yet have guns and shoot).

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

With apologies to kate bush.

ooooooh he's here again, the man with the gun in a bag.... No mask this time!!!! Outed on social media. Oh how the Elites must regret the internet age happening. They'll love thaksin as his company really pushed it on apace here!!!

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

So is he red shirt (red scarf) or fake red shirt or other?

ooooooh he's here again, the man with the gun in a bag.... No mask this time!!!! Outed on social media. Oh how the Elites must regret the internet age happening. They'll love thaksin as his company really pushed it on apace here!!!

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

I highly doubt he is red shirt. If you look at the video, he is standing in the middle of a hundred pro-Suthep protesters. The "bag man" standing besides him has been identified as a member of Suthep's militia in another photo and he himself is wearing a whistle around his neck.

Guards are likely to be ex-military/ex police trained to use assault rifles. Shooting an assault rifle from a bag requires some skills. Both sides are armed as no one likes to be a sitting duck or feel vulnerable.

The point is who started the shooting. From the videos it seems the protestors were fired upon first and thus retaliated. The guards appeared to be taking up defensive positions. Since most of the media were concentrated around the protest group they caught the retaliation on film. Too bad nobody filmed from the direction the guards were aiming at as who would in their right mind run towards bullets no? And of course if you instigated the firing you would be wise to remain stealthy so the clips only show one side of the story.

But didn't Suthep say that they have no arms, only "bare hands"? What are the Suthep militias doing walking around with assault rifles in a city like Bangkok?

Nothing justifies a Suthep militia out on the street.

...what, not even the presence of the Thaksin militia...?! So all anti-government protesters should just "man up" and take the hit...??

• Like 1

Yep, and the shooter (caught in a photo) matches the cap and dress of PDRC guards at Laksi. Doesn't mean it was one of them, but the evidence matches.

1391253297-BfYjpp1CUA-o.jpg

Actually, they don't match.

The guy on the left has a white patch on the cap which the PDRC guards don't have, and the guy in the bottom picture isn't necessarily wearing a broad rimmed hat - that is a telephone/electricity line going across the picture, and the picture is too fuzzy to see what hat he is wearing.

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

Bag man was pictured with PDRC guards on another pic, and here with what also looks like PDRC.

ZQQzdSX.jpg

take away people's basic human rights and you can expect a backlash

most of the world fights FOR elections - and Thailand fights to STOP them

Kill protesters and you can expect a bigger backlash. People are fighting for reform not to stop elections.[/quote

The reform is just more power and money to Suthep. That's the only reform they have

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

I highly doubt he is red shirt. If you look at the video, he is standing in the middle of a hundred pro-Suthep protesters. The "bag man" standing besides him has been identified as a member of Suthep's militia in another photo and he himself is wearing a whistle around his neck.

I disagree.

His scarf is so red, and you choose to say he is not Thaksin's man.

• Like 1

One corrupt group calling the other corrupt group corrupt. If is wasn't for the violence

by both sides it would be amusing. Work within the system, respect the vote an negotiate

your grievances. Yes the rice scheme should end, yes Thaksin should have his passport revoked.

Yes the there should be no amnesty for either Thaksin or Suthep. But work within the democratic

system of government. wai.gif

The voice of reason speaks. wai.gifclap2.gif

It's such a shame that reason is being drowned out by irrationality and extremism.

Shout it from the roof tops.

This going to keep the mob well pinned back. See how many polling stations they shut down now they know they going to be defended.

respect the vote PDRC thats all anybody wanted.

Sad, but as the army have protected the miniscule mob from the police, people finally had enough. Just a few hotheads today and lets hope thats an end to it. That was a random mob on the red side trying to get the idiots to release the ballot papers. The ones that PDRC were promising would be ok... "we categorically state we will not block the election" how many lies now from the stage.

Koh Tee just called press conference. He is a dangersous mad man, as is Suthep. Get used to them both.

Koh Tee quote last week "I too am not interested in any more elections, it is time to start killing them"

Need the middle educated thais to stand up and leave the extremists at both ends. But, won't happen so now we have 2 mad men on stages every night.

Educated. this is going to take 2 generations before anybody can call themselves that who is involved with this (on both sides) and then, they are going to need courage to stand up and stand apart from the Elites on one side and the radical left from the North.

Now many cower in the middle and hope they can be safe then it all dies down. Needed more to stand up months ago when it started and say they wanted no truck with either extreme. But , the blowing whistles was just too much fun to resist wasn't it.

I think you're right about the extremists. I've said for a long time and before the protests that what's needed are moderates from all sides to come together to try to move towards a solution to the conflict.

I don't think holding the election will help at all myself. There is so much distrust by both sides that very few will consider switching their vote. I'd like to think that without the possibility of the Dems winning some who were pro government will cast a no vote to send a message to the PTP but I'm not hopeful. The problem with a normal election in the current climate is that if the PTP were to win they would just go back to the same old things including the amnesty and nothing would change. If the Dems were to win, although I think they would be better there would be still MPs looking after themselves and their friends and it still wouldn't change the underlying problems not only with the political parties but the perceived bias of the judiciary.

PTP and the Dems seem to be very different. PTP presumably have some good politicians but the control at the top is the problem.They had a good majority and could have settled down to work for the country knowing they could probably win another term at the next election. They needed a PM who was moderate not extreme and could go some way to bridging the gap between both sides in the country. What they got was a PM who was so moderate she wasn't there and just fuelled suspicion as to who was in control. There must be some politicians in PTP with enough sense and experience to not encourage such anger by persisting with amnesties all the time.

The Dems seem somewhat opposite. I think that Abhisit whilst not perfect is a good politician but he doesn't have the control Thaksin does with the PTP. He seems to have been held back by many in his party. Not least by Suthep whose main talent appears to be being able to rally people behind the party.

I don't like the idea of blocking an election but maybe that's what's needed now. Let's hope whatever happens tomorrow some moderates on both sides stand up to try to make things better.

The last government

Not Nation pic but as it is Reuters, some of us feel it could be genuine, unless the photographer is a thaksinisa on the dubai payroll. smile.png Quite clearly the PDRC are a paramilitary operation.

Come on Army. In US or Europe the army Would, 100% of shot all of them who did not immediately surrender. Thai Army Mai Pen Rai - we all the same Suthep gang.

BfZAOK0CMAE9j_r.jpg

This shooter in his knock-off jacket can expect a whole world of pain to descend on him soon... The North Face and the US Congress actively pursue those who infringe intellectual property rights...

• Like 1

The guy pointing the M16 magazine looks like he's wearing a Cambodian "Kroma" under that red scarf

yes.. yes.. cambodians.. no doubt rolleyes.gif ..

How about this lot of PDRC guards?

The one circled is pictured shooting at the BBC in another (see @richardbarrow) the one on the right pictured with a rifle.

EqGqNMa.jpg

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

I disagree.

Then this guy must be Thaksin's man too:

thailandnews_201413183342900_jVljSiNmYfF

• Like 1

BfZTMR6CIAEveWm.jpg

I disagree.

Unfortunately for you...

His good buddy forgot to take off his PDRC paraphernalia

620XDZi.jpg

Ohhh no time for a mask, just so many things to do when you going out hijacking ballot papers. never enough time to cover up.

Have to make the front page of the papers with no mask and my PDRC membership card hanging round me neck.

Lets also pause for thought her as well This is the Student arm, who many of us for month have been saying are not students. They are the military wing, staffed, supported and protected by the army

Last pic from me. Anybody want to see hundred and hundreds of pieces of incrminating evidence and unbiased reports will have to fine them for themselve. It is not difficult

BfZI19mCUAAbzsy.jpg

Well,this guy has a US Army jacket...it does not mind it's a little big for him,still can't cover the gun..?! tongue.png No comments on the other guy...he's a photographer...it sure takes skills to use the camera without....well smile.png

Edited by funcat

One corrupt group calling the other corrupt group corrupt. If is wasn't for the violence

by both sides it would be amusing. Work within the system, respect the vote an negotiate

your grievances. Yes the rice scheme should end, yes Thaksin should have his passport revoked.

Yes the there should be no amnesty for either Thaksin or Suthep. But work within the democratic

system of government. wai.gif

The voice of reason speaks. wai.gifclap2.gif

It's such a shame that reason is being drowned out by irrationality and extremism.

Shout it from the roof tops.

The trouble is the democratic process here, for many reasons can't seem to do that.

If this election, or a later one with the Dems goes ahead and PTP win as expected then what chance is there that the rice scheme will end, Thaksin will have his passport revoked and he Suthep won't get an amnesty. There's no chance on the first 2. The amnesty is a different matter . It upset the reds because it covered Abhisit and Suthep's murder charges so unless that's stopped and Thaksin's isn't that's a bit unlikely but I expect the PTP to try some way to get Thaksin back and if they succeed then I would guess this will all start again.

Just high spirits pre election day it will soon be all over with a new elected government.

The government will stay a "caretaker" government unable to pass laws or a budget until all seats are filled, which is why yellow shirts are highjacking ballots. If the government can't pass a budget, they can't pay the farmers... yellow camp then turns around and blames YL.

Needless to say BlueSky have been taken off air

They have jazz musicians on now, no mention of these incidents at all...

Meanwhile every airhead that ever there was will gather her for certain because todays the day the idiot have thier picnic.

Suthep needs all the help he can get so I'm plugging his picnic day. Mainly because it is the biggest colletcion of jerks I have ever seen assembled. Enjoy

Suthep is now relying on these people. Bad as it looks from the still on the front, belive me it gets much worse. talk about brain drain!!

Edited by pipkins

Not Nation pic but as it is Reuters, some of us feel it could be genuine, unless the photographer is a thaksinisa on the dubai payroll. smile.png Quite clearly the PDRC are a paramilitary operation.

Come on Army. In US or Europe the army Would, 100% of shot all of them who did not immediately surrender. Thai Army Mai Pen Rai - we all the same Suthep gang.

BfZAOK0CMAE9j_r.jpg

That gun he's firing is a Tavor assault rifle, which just happens to be the new assault rifle of the Royal Thai Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

Oh dear. That is bad news for the coup. Can't wait for the spin on this one. No wonder the army boss looks so damned happy tonight.

So, the Thai army bought this tavor and now somebody on PDRC side, with army protecting them, is firing one in the streets of Bangkok in order to stop voters from voting. Hmmm what will obama et al make of that.

Its an asault rifle that is really going to take some explaining away by the army

Here is a pic of the peaceful machine that PDRC saw fit to unleash on Bangkok. there were at least two as the one everybody was desdribing as looking as if the butt had been sawn off was also one of these.

BfZA9aRCUAAFmAH.jpg

And the Reds have only AK47's

Not fair, my heart is bleeding

The guy pointing the M16 magazine looks like he's wearing a Cambodian "Kroma" under that red scarf

yes.. yes.. cambodians.. no doubt rolleyes.gif ..

How about this lot of PDRC guards?

The one circled is pictured shooting at the BBC in another (see @richardbarrow) the one on the right pictured with a rifle.

EqGqNMa.jpg

They are students, acting as "SEAL" to protect the monk.

The students themselves post it a few days ago on their facebook.