Beware of buying custom made furniture

CDNinKS

I recently entered into a contract to buy some custom made furniture. The stated delivery time was 3 months from the time a 50% deposit was made ( Aug. 25). At the 3 month point, no furniture. At the 4 month point, no furniture, many excuses and promises but no furniture. Finally was received a confirmed promise that the furniture would be delivered NO LATER than Jan 31. When that deadline came and went I contacted the supplier and asked to cancel the order and requested a refund. Was told the deposit was non-refundable. When I suggested that I would take legal action to recover the deposit I received a 3 word reply " OK, good luck"

I would suggest to all that if you enter into such a contract that you insist that if the furniture is not delivered on time that you have it in writing that your deposit will be returned.

I was foolish to trust this shop.

Any company that needs to take money upfront more than 10% is not credible, by asking for 50% they have zero cash flow and live by the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

hmm yes but what country are you referring to?
What country do you think?

This type of thing makes my blood boil where they have clearly just taken the money with no intention. When buying anything made or having work done in this fairest of fair lands (cheesy.gif), try to negotiate as minimal deposit as possible. You could always try the cops and tell them you'll give em 10% if they get it back.

• Like 2

I would see the police and tell them they can keep half if they get your money back

At least that is better than loosing it all and you get the satisfaction that at least the furniture company kept all of your deposit

• Like 1

Whenever buying any products, whether be just the deposit, money is never refundable. Any receipt I've ever gotten in Thailand, whether Makro, Tesco, Index, major shopping centers, Independent Retailers, written in big letters across the bottom is "Non-Refundable". Also unless you catch the damage or defects prior to leaving the store, there's no exchanges.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Apples and oranges I'm afraid. What you are referring to is when you have actually received the goods. Unless you missed the point I have paid for 50% of nothing at this point, so this is fraud at best, theft at worst.

Whenever buying any products, whether be just the deposit, money is never refundable. Any receipt I've ever gotten in Thailand, whether Makro, Tesco, Index, major shopping centers, Independent Retailers, written in big letters across the bottom is "Non-Refundable". Also unless you catch the damage or defects prior to leaving the store, there's no exchanges.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I took a toolbox back to HomePro the other day after got it home and played with it and noticed it broken....they swapped it.

i think you should at least pin point what area the shop is, and give a few subtle clues to it's identity

How sad is this really....consumer protection my arse.

I ordered a teak bed from a long established shop a long time ago....paid deposit, cannot remember how much now, but maybe 20/30%.....after taking a long time to construct and visiting their workshop to confirm it was being built...they delivered it and it was crap.

Days passed and I had not paid for it, they wanted the money, I told them to take it back as it was rubbish...they came to collect and I asked for the deposit refund...they said ok have no money, let us load the bed and we go atm....did not let them out the driveway until they paid the deposit back in full...they tried to bargain it down...but they had the cash on them and got full amount back.

• Like 1

i think you should at least pin point what area the shop is, and give a few subtle clues to it's identity

I would love to, but I have been informed by the mods that would violate the forum rules against "name and shame"

I don't think there is any rule against someone PMing me to ask though wink.png

• Like 1

I live on Samui all my furniture has been made by Best Wood the 1st piece I ordered was do 20.000 baht I paid a 5,000 deposit ,four years on they are now rebar noshing some of my outdoor furniture in that period have never had a problem with them they have always come up with the goods maybe a week late but that is no big deal . I always ask around if I am looking for something ie good car dealer , good painter it's called doing your homework before committing yourself . If I have had any problems it is with the likes of home pro they are useless

I had custom made kitchen cupboards with doors, proper wood etc - not cheap.

They fitted them while I was at work and when i came home I saw they had painted them brown instead of leaving them natural wood finish. I hohummed and thought never mind they still look OK and could not be arsed with getting inot it with the shop.

A month or so later i noticed some lined blistering, and on closer inspection was horrified to see they had filled part of the doors with filler and painted over it - hence the paint. On further inspection I found it to be uniform and on all doors. When I got them round the guy told me they had bevelled it wrong, so rebevelled it to my spec and then filled in the rest and painted over them.

I was greeted with the usual dumb grinning when i asked what they planned to do about it. Eventually and begrudgingly they took all the doors away and I told them the fault was theirs and not mine and I wanted proper doors done to my spec. They tried to tell me it would cost. I think they coulod still hear my laughter by the time they got back to the shop.

Never again will i order custom made furniture here.

I have many tales of very poor workmanship from this country and will only hire builders, plumbers, carpenters etc that are known to Thai friends. Seems the only way to get a half decent job done.

On the other hand i had one guy who did a lot of tiling work for me and his work was impeccable. He has had a lot of work from me and i get him to recommend other tradesmen also.

Still love living here though, i just don't expect good work from local tradesmen.

• Like 1

Simple rule...Try NOT to pay for anything/goods or services you have not received

If you have to pay something, keep it to the bear MINIMUM

If the supplier does not agree WALK AWAY

Yes, lesson learned. I was taken in by the swank website and the fact it was a farang.

I have made a complaint with the Consumer Protection Board, let's see what happens there.

I had custom made kitchen cupboards with doors, proper wood etc - not cheap.

They fitted them while I was at work and when i came home I saw they had painted them brown instead of leaving them natural wood finish. I hohummed and thought never mind they still look OK and could not be arsed with getting inot it with the shop.

A month or so later i noticed some lined blistering, and on closer inspection was horrified to see they had filled part of the doors with filler and painted over it - hence the paint. On further inspection I found it to be uniform and on all doors. When I got them round the guy told me they had bevelled it wrong, so rebevelled it to my spec and then filled in the rest and painted over them.

I was greeted with the usual dumb grinning when i asked what they planned to do about it. Eventually and begrudgingly they took all the doors away and I told them the fault was theirs and not mine and I wanted proper doors done to my spec. They tried to tell me it would cost. I think they coulod still hear my laughter by the time they got back to the shop.

Never again will i order custom made furniture here.

I have many tales of very poor workmanship from this country and will only hire builders, plumbers, carpenters etc that are known to Thai friends. Seems the only way to get a half decent job done.

On the other hand i had one guy who did a lot of tiling work for me and his work was impeccable. He has had a lot of work from me and i get him to recommend other tradesmen also.

Still love living here though, i just don't expect good work from local tradesmen.

There's excellent work done by honest tradesmen in Thailand. You just gotta find them. Whenever possible I get advice/recommendations from people who've had first-hand experience with the company/tradesmen. This often takes a bit of work and more time than I'd like, but in the end it's a lot less work and time.