Thailand election: Doubt over poll outcome

webfact

ELECTION
Doubt over poll outcome

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- DESPITE the government's claim of "victory" after voting was conducted in 89 per cent of the country's 375 constituencies yesterday, many factors point to the high likelihood that this election - marred by boycotts and a long rowdy protest - could end up being declared void.

An unusually low voter turnout was reported in many provinces, even in part of the North and Northeast where the ruling Pheu Thai Party has enjoyed popularity. In southern provinces, voter turnout was estimated at 20 to 30 per cent, much lower than previous elections.

Voter turnout was a little over 40 per cent in Chai Nat, less than 50 per cent in Phichit, about 50 per cent in Ayutthaya, according to local election officials.

There were reports of a high number of "no votes" in many provinces, as eligible voters ticked the box at the bottom of the ballot paper to vote for "none of the above". No votes were mostly in Bangkok and urban areas of the provinces.

Voting could be held without problems in 59 provinces, at 83,669 out of all 93,952 polling stations, according to EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong. The EC would unveil the voter turnout figure today, he said.

In Bangkok, 516 out of 6,671 polling stations were closed.

EC members will convene a meeting today to discuss ways to solve the election-related problems. EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn also is scheduled to meet this afternoon with Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is in charge of the government's Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order.

An estimated 12 million people, or 25 per cent of all 48.7 million eligible voters, have failed to cast ballots - two million during advance voting on January 26 and another 10 million yesterday, according to an Election Commission (EC) official.

However, Somchai later said between 8 and 10 million eligible voters have been unable to cast their votes in more than 10,000 polling stations where voting was disrupted.

Traffic Police yesterday reported few cars and no congestion in Bangkok, which was unusual for a voting day.

In Bangkok, voting was successful in about 92 per cent of the polling stations, the EC said.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said after the voting closed yesterday that she was satisfied the election could be completed without violence. She thanked voters for "helping to maintain democracy" and thanked officials involved in holding the election and providing security at polling booths.

Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the ongoing anti-government protest, said yesterday that it was the "first time to have so many eligible voters boycotting an election". His People's Democratic Reform Committee campaigned for no voting before political reform.

The EC said an announcement of election results has been postponed because of problems including the blocking of advance voting and the failure to hold voting in many seats.

"Today, we cannot announce the overall results of the election," EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said in a TV broadcast.

The snap election went off without violence, as many had worried, with voters in 306 of 375 constituencies able to cast ballots.

Supachai said 37 constituencies nationwide could not be opened at all for voting, while in 32 constituencies, only some polling stations could be operated. Of the 93,952 polling stations, only 83,813 or 89 per cent were able to open for voting, he said.

The election was completed in 59 provinces, but it had to be cancelled in nine provinces, and revoked in some areas in another nine provinces.

The EC could not declare the results until "advance voting" is completed. Some of the absentee polling held on January 26 was revoked after the anti-government protesters blocked polling stations. Advance voting has been postponed till February 23, but the EC has yet to schedule new voting.

Results for 125 MP seats in the party-list system of proportional representation will not be available until voting in all constituencies.

Some politicians from the opposition Democrat Party have petitioned the Ombudsman's Office for the poll to be declared void, citing the fact voting is not organised on the same day, as required by law.

Although the EC could not give results, Chalerm claimed that Pheu Thai Party expected to win 265 to 280 MP seats.

The PDRC will close its Lat Phrao and Victory Monument protest sites and move to Lumpini Park today due to security concerns, following repeated gunfire and blast attacks by unknown assailants.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-03

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone trustworthy is gaurding the ballots. Put nothing past them.

I agree! 3 to 4 weeks is an awful long time to contemplate how to change the numbers to favor 1 party. Maybe this is why the PTP is so confident

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If there were new major parties with fresh faces at the helm, the nation would be energised to vote, and turnout would be extremely high. Everybody in the mainstream is sick and tired of the same handful of mummified relics and cartoon characters that are offered at the vote-box. It is no different to marketing, if you are still trying to sell hobnail boots when your competitors are selling modern running-shoes. Don't expect people to queue up to buy those medieval clomps, when they know that the world has moved on since then.

• Like 1

I agree! 3 to 4 weeks is an awful long time to contemplate how to change the numbers to favor 1 party. Maybe this is why the PTP is so confident

Don't they usually count the votes on the same day?

As soon as the voting is over, they reconcile the number of ballots with the number of people who turned up, and Party representatives witness the ballots being displayed and tallied on a poster.

after reading the OP I'm not so sure PTP should be claiming anything at the moment, seems more like the no votes and those that chose not to vote at all are speaking very loud and clear - as for the protestors - they maybe impacted less than 7% of the poll

It was not all a waste of money and time, it will help see how the people feel

This was not an election

But a chance for the people to decide do they want

1) Taksin in for a dictatorship, as there was only 1 major party to vote for

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

As we have idea which one will get the most response, so we need to wait

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

Just maybe you can fool some Thai's some of the time

But I will be happy when you can not fool All the Thai people all of the time

Except if your the one we are counting on to get Thailand moving

and you can not even put your vote into the right box

We all understand Big brother was not there to tell her what to do

funny... as the thugs stopped many from voting but it really is:

1/ Suthep's fascist peoples council

2/ Saving democracy in Thailand

GF's gik was told by her Aunty that her grandfathers sister was amazed that farmers were allowed to vote

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

I hope each and every person who was blocking people from voting get a good prison stretch.

Congratulations to those who voted and in particular to those who voted "None of the above"! People can say what they are thinking and what a lot of people are saying is there's nobody they trust in government. This kind of thinking and action will bring about change - albeit slowly, but who said democracy was a fast process? - and has to be infintely better than violent protest because that doesn't work quickly either. Egypt being a good current example

Why did they not just wait....for crikey's sake...everyone knew this was not the answer....a rush, rush chaotic election and then a movement to nullify it. Money not well spent. Did anybody realize that neighborhoods were gathering their own vote together...regardless of whether the polling place was open...with not election officials to safeguard fair voting?

• Like 1

Don't they usually count the votes on the same day?

As soon as the voting is over, they reconcile the number of ballots with the number of people who turned up, and Party representatives witness the ballots being displayed and tallied on a poster.

Just speculating, but the EC )who does the counting and not the Government) may want to wait until all voting has finished at the blockaded polls in the next one or two weeks, depending on how active Suthep is in keeping polls closed.

Why did they not just wait....for crikey's sake...everyone knew this was not the answer....a rush, rush chaotic election and then a movement to nullify it. Money not well spent. Did anybody realize that neighborhoods were gathering their own vote together...regardless of whether the polling place was open...with not election officials to safeguard fair voting?

Wait until when? Suthep wants no elections for the next 12 to 18 months while HIS people's committee decides who can vote and for whom they can vote vis a vis his "government reforms."

Wait until when? Suthep wants no elections for the next 12 to 18 months while HIS people's committee decides who can vote and for whom they can vote vis a vis his "government reforms."

That's a bit of a distortion of what Suthep and his backers are campaigning for. Quite a childish view in reality!

• Like 2

If there were new major parties with fresh faces at the helm, the nation would be energised to vote, and turnout would be extremely high. Everybody in the mainstream is sick and tired of the same handful of mummified relics and cartoon characters that are offered at the vote-box. It is no different to marketing, if you are still trying to sell hobnail boots when your competitors are selling modern running-shoes. Don't expect people to queue up to buy those medieval clomps, when they know that the world has moved on since then.

That is exactly what many of my Thai friends are saying- "there is nobody we can vote for - the same old faces - the same old corrupt clique who has been running this country since forever - no matter which party they belong too"! Voters fatigue that's how I would describe it.

People are tired of the never- ending bitching and fighting in politics like in one of the cheap Thai soaps. They know at the end it is all about money and who gets the bigger share of the pie and nothing else.

One even said that this whole old generation of crooks in state positions and politics will hopefully die soon and then the country might get a chance to start over and move forward.

They are all getting bored with the countries politics - but this is of course exactly what the few people who own this country want to see. They can go on and take turns milking the country like they have been doing since generations - nothing new here.

That is why tough anti corruption laws should be in place. The moment these are in place and enforced (maybe the position of the day would fill the seats of the anti corruption commission) then the money leaves the policts (mostly) and its not profitable for the crooks to be politicians. That would mean a change. That is what I am hoping for.

I am against corruption on either side and i really hate the remarks don't go after corrupt politicians as they are all corrupt so its politically motivated. That is just crazy they should go after all corrupt politicians and officials It is the only way and yes that would mean PTP corruption at the moment (they are in power) Maybe an other time its the other side that gets caught. That its now your side does not mean we should not start and go on fighting corruption.

Take the money away from politics (mostly) and they wont be fighting over money anymore. It would change the country.

That is what most of my anti government friends are saying they don't want a dictatorship by Suthep, they want corruption gone or at least attacked.

• Like 2

That is exactly what many of my Thai friends are saying- "there is nobody we can vote for - the same old faces - the same old corrupt clique who has been running this country since forever - no matter which party they belong too"! Voters fatigue that's how I would describe it.

People are tired of the never- ending bitching and fighting in politics like in one of the cheap Thai soaps. They know at the end it is all about money and who gets the bigger share of the pie and nothing else.

One even said that this whole old generation of crooks in state positions and politics will hopefully die soon and then the country might get a chance to start over and move forward.

They are all getting bored with the countries politics - but this is of course exactly what the few people who own this country want to see. They can go on and take turns milking the country like they have been doing since generations - nothing new here.

Taksin's son replacing Yingluck is hardly an improvement.

Considering yesterday's turnout, it looks like the time is right for electoral reform.

• Like 1

I saw several Bangkok polls that were being blocked by Suthep's protestors behind which stood the police. In front of the protesters were voters demanding they stand aside to let them vote. Police remained completely passive and disinterested. When voters began to push against the blockers, the police remained unmoving. When voters forceably pushed aside the blockers, the police then wordlessly stood aside. If one thing needs reform, it is to remove the independent authority of the police. The natural place to place police is under the government as in other democracies but given paranoia in Thailand maybe put them under the Constitutional Court.

I saw several Bangkok polls that were being blocked by Suthep's protestors behind which stood the police. In front of the protesters were voters demanding they stand aside to let them vote. Police remained completely passive and disinterested. When voters began to push against the blockers, the police remained unmoving. When voters forceably pushed aside the blockers, the police then wordlessly stood aside. If one thing needs reform, it is to remove the independent authority of the police. The natural place to place police is under the government as in other democracies but given paranoia in Thailand maybe put them under the Constitutional Court.

Everyone knows the police are pro government the reason they did not do a thing was because they could not or they did not want to risk their skin. Believe me if they could they would have (if no risk to them)

after reading the OP I'm not so sure PTP should be claiming anything at the moment, seems more like the no votes and those that chose not to vote at all are speaking very loud and clear - as for the protestors - they maybe impacted less than 7% of the poll

No matter how poor the turnout, PTP *must* claim the elections a success in order to push through the Amnesty Bill.

• Like 1

PM needed to do the votes as it's written in the constitution. Otherwise they would have gone after her later. This was just to keep her back clean. It does not help anyone. Hopefully they can find soon a solution. I give it max 2-3 month

That's a bit of a distortion of what Suthep and his backers are campaigning for. Quite a childish view in reality!

Seems if they can't argue the facts, some conveniently just make things up.

Please take a trip to the head of the class

Please collect $200 as you pass go

Your ability to use your brain, gives the chances of a better future for TV members is encouraging

There maybe alot of members here who not have the brain matter to understand you