I need a new Router - Any recommendations?

roban

don't buy anything cheaper than 2500 baht, it will make you cry in the end smile.png

I would recommend this one:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/adsl-networking/asus/dsl-n55u-dual-band-wireless-n600-gigabit-adsl-modem-router-p009872/

I have its bigger brother, the RT-N66U, it's excellent

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

A few years ago I bought a Belkin Play Max Wireless Modem Router (model F7D4401) at IT City, as it was the only one I could find in Thailand with both gigabit ethernet and built-in ADSL modem. It served me well. (I no longer have an ADSL line nor use a router.)

I can't recall how much I paid, but I see it on (U.S.) e-bay for US$41.

Nice, but way too expensive.

2500 is the limit.

no pont in offering advice then, yo have had the best recommendation you are going to get. personally i dont see why it would pay to skimp on a router the thing is on 24/7 and at the heart of both my work and entertainment. but up to you.

I have one of these which works very well. It cost me just under 2500B from JIB in Pattaya.

http://www.zyxel.com/se/sv/products_services/nbg4615.shtml?t=p

No built-in modem though so you would need an ethernet modem to go with it. Your ISP may give you one of these for free like mine does.

Looks good, except the missing modem.

But I could use my current TP-Link as a modem. (in bridge mode)

....i dont see why it would pay to skimp on a router the thing is on 24/7 and at the heart of both my work and entertainment. but up to you.....

However, but I don't need an "all-in-one" device with a builtin mediaserver, DLNA, NAS functions, etc. like the Asus.

I have other devices, for these jobs...wink.png

I have one of these which works very well. It cost me just under 2500B from JIB in Pattaya.

No built-in modem though so you would need an ethernet modem to go with it. Your ISP may give you one of these for free like mine does.

....i dont see why it would pay to skimp on a router the thing is on 24/7 and at the heart of both my work and entertainment. but up to you.....

However, but I don't need an "all-in-one" device with a builtin mediaserver, DLNA, NAS functions, etc. like the Asus.

I too think the 2000 baht extra would be well spent money.

You want gigabit ethernet and fast wifi - my experience is that lower spec CPU and memory cause problems in routers, especially for the routing table and firewall when you have many connections active.

I had cheaper d-link and tp-link units which I had to bring back to the shop because they would freeze up or overheat.

So you connect the router to the modem through a 100Mb link then share it with the router to say 4 computers. How much do you use of the gigabyteports.

My d-link router have just broken down after app 2 years use according to my wife and she don't know how to by-pass it.

So when I get home from work, it looks like I too will be shopping for a new one but better spend some more money on it this time.

Will a more expensive router have a better range? My d-link was pretty good for a 2 story house.

My d-link router have just broken down after app 2 years use according to my wife and she don't know how to by-pass it.

So when I get home from work, it looks like I too will be shopping for a new one but better spend some more money on it this time.

Will a more expensive router have a better range? My d-link was pretty good for a 2 story house.

the three antenna routers are more expensive and tend to have better range, so there is a correlation

I too think the 2000 baht extra would be well spent money.

You want gigabit ethernet and fast wifi - my experience is that lower spec CPU and memory cause problems in routers, especially for the routing table and firewall when you have many connections active.

The device I suggested has gigibit ports and fast wifi. I bought it to replace a cheaper router that didnt have gigibit and just couldnt cope with AV streaming to/from gigabit devices and several hundred torrent connections happening simultaneously.

The replacement has no problem with this at all, and the CPU/memory usage as recorded in the logs stays quite low at all times.

So you connect the router to the modem through a 100Mb link then share it with the router to say 4 computers. How much do you use of the gigabyteports.

I have two devices with gigabit ports: my PC and my NAS. I found that my previous 100mbs router just couldnt cope with high speed transfers between these two devices and still do other things at the same time, even though my modem is only 100mbs and my internet connection is only 10mbs. Even fitting a gigabit switch between the two gigabit devices only helped to an extent (though it did help).

The new gigabit router has no such problems and as such was a good purchase for me.

If you are thinking about a Belkin router in combination with Windows 8.1, then you should do a search on the internet for problems of compatibility. I couldn't believe that Belkin products had a problem with Microsoft's latest product until I tried to install a Belkin router, and it would not install. I gave the router to a friend because of the incompatibility. Maybe the problem has been fixed within the past two weeks when I had the problem, but I don't think so. Check out this problem before you buy!

Walt

If you are thinking about a Belkin router in combination with Windows 8.1, then you should do a search on the internet for problems of compatibility. I couldn't believe that Belkin products had a problem with Microsoft's latest product until I tried to install a Belkin router, and it would not install. I gave the router to a friend because of the incompatibility. Maybe the problem has been fixed within the past two weeks when I had the problem, but I don't think so. Check out this problem before you buy!

Walt

huh? there is nothing to install to use a router, it's a pure network component

I had cheaper d-link and tp-link units which I had to bring back to the shop because they would freeze up or overheat.

well, this is definitely an argument and I will consider it! thumbsup.gif

Atm, the router has to supply at least 6 devices (2xGb Lan, 1x Lan + 3xWifi) + a few guests sometimes....

I bought a TPlink w8989 and am very pleasede with it. Overall efecrtive download speeds increased notably and it has all features I may need. It also has local service and a ifetime guarantee.

It isw more expensive than the OP seems to want but I worked out that in 3 years it will cost me 3 baht a day and good connectivity is worth that.

Hi Manarak,

There is an installation disk that comes with the Belkin router. The problem lies with the "sxuptp driver" (by Silex technology) that is required to make the connection with the internet via Windows 8.1. As I said, check it out on the internet - the problem itself is well documented, but the solution fix is not. Apparently there is no problem with Windows 8.0 -- just 8.1.

Walt

After considering all the arguments, I decided not to skimp at the wrong end.

So I went to Tukcom, Wattana and Powerbuy (All in Pattaya)...and nothing.

Neither the Asus N600, nor the TP-Link W8980 were available anywhere.

Tons of cheapish and outdated ones, but not what I wanted.

It seems, that as always, a trip to Bkk is needed.

PS: Tukcom was full of "Tenda" branded routers in every price range.

Has anyone heard of it?
Edited by roban

Tenda is a Chinese brand but everything is made there nowadays.

There is a test of one here:

http://alatest.com/reviews/bridge-router-reviews/tenda-w307r-wireless-n-router/po3-154403682,101/

Try invadeit, the forum sponsor, they ship all over Thailand, bought a high end Dell monitor from them last year, good service.

Hi Manarak,

There is an installation disk that comes with the Belkin router. The problem lies with the "sxuptp driver" (by Silex technology) that is required to make the connection with the internet via Windows 8.1. As I said, check it out on the internet - the problem itself is well documented, but the solution fix is not. Apparently there is no problem with Windows 8.0 -- just 8.1.

Walt

I would bet that you need neither installation disk nor driver to get the connection to work.

If truly you need a driver to get it to work, then there is a problem with the router, because a router is supposed to provide standard ethernet networking which should work without any additional software on the clients.

EDIT: I researched the Silex driver on the net, it appears that the problem occurs in conjunction with Belkin USB devices. USB deviced indeed require drivers.

What you have been connecting to your PC was a USB device, probably a USB network hub, not a router. Different ballgame entirely.

Edited by manarak

Walt

My Belkin USB WiFi adapter does not work in Windows 8.1. Reply from Belkin was simply that the latest driver was the one which I had, and it is not compatible with Windows 8.1.

After considering all the arguments, I decided not to skimp at the wrong end.

So I went to Tukcom, Wattana and Powerbuy (All in Pattaya)...and nothing.

Neither the Asus N600, nor the TP-Link W8980 were available anywhere.

Tons of cheapish and outdated ones, but not what I wanted.

It seems, that as always, a trip to Bkk is needed.

The Belkin ADSL/router I mentioned above was purchased at IT City. Did you check up there? I know they have downsized their store in the past year or so, so not sure how good their selection of modem/routers is these days.

Walt

My Belkin USB WiFi adapter does not work in Windows 8.1. Reply from Belkin was simply that the latest driver was the one which I had, and it is not compatible with Windows 8.1.

as I said, a USB adapter isn't a router proper, i.e. not a pure network component

Edited by manarak