Setting up online transfer from US bank to Bangkok Bank

I finally got around to opening a Bangkok Bank savings account so I can avoid the $50 SWIFT transfer charges assessed by my credit union in the US. (And avoid the fax + two incoming phone verification calls.)

However, I've hit a snag in setting it up. From the Bangkok Bank web page with instructions:

"... you must use the internet banking service of banks in the United States which allow the remitter to specify the beneficiary’s name. Otherwise, the payment instruction Bangkok Bank receives may not carry the correct beneficiary name and Bangkok Bank will have to return funds to the remitter."

My credit union does *not* send the account name, only the ACH routing number and the account number. I got a rejection e-mail:

"BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD. has notified us that they are unable to verify the account information you provided."

I then attempted using my mother's small town California bank which seems to have a good online banking system -- it, too, does not send the account name information, only the routing number and account number.

I even tried my account at Fidelity Investments, and once again, no go: they do not send the account name info.

For those of you who successfully use online transfers from the US to Bangkok Bank, what bank do you use in the US? Were you able to set up an account at the US bank while living in Thailand, or was it an account you had set up before you moved here?

I'm trying to find a way to do this, but suspect I'll have a hard time opening a new account at a US bank while living permanently overseas.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use Chase Bank and set it up for ACH transfers to my BBL account here about 2 years ago. Previously using the Swift system with Chase. Did it all online from here in Thailand. Once the set up for Chase was done and the 2 test transfers were done(money arrived a couple days later) I had to call the BBL folks to get the details of the transfer. The Chase Bank info requires exact dollar and cent amounts so BBL folks could easily tell me the small cent amount. Plugged that back in to the Chase site and I am a happy camper now more than 2 years

Unfortunately how easy or hard it is to set up depends upon your US bank and how they do EFTS. Using the Bangkok Bank US routing number and then your Thai Bangkok Bank account number usually doesn't cause a problem other than the "test deposit" currency conversion, since the test deposits are usually small amounts in cents

My bank, USAA, eliminates this problem by waiving the test deposit requirement when I state to them that I do not have signature authority over the Bankgok Bank account. This is basically bank speak that indicates the account can only be used to transfer money into, not out of

I use my Citibank acct. to do ACH transfers into Bangkok Bank's NY branch. Easy to set up via Citibank's website and transfers take about three business days. Don't know how hard it is to actually open a Citibank acct. from Thailand, though.

I have opened an account online with BofA while i was physically in Pattaya, all i needed was a valid US driver's license.

I have been using SWIFT transfer from my Vanguard investment account to KBank, cost :25 USD. There is a fee schedule on the BB website to which the link in the OP directed, ..so ACH is not free?

The two trial deposits; are they only done once at set up or everytime u transfer money?

I have opened an account online with BofA while i was physically in Pattaya, all i needed was a valid US driver's license.

I have been using SWIFT transfer from my Vanguard investment account to KBank, cost :25 USD. There is a fee schedule on the BB website to which the link in the OP directed, ..so ACH is not free?

The two trial deposits; are they only done once at set up or everytime u transfer money?

I think when people refer to free ACH they mean it from a standpoint of "whether or not their Sending bank charges a fee to transmit the funds via ACH." Many U.S. banks do; many U.S. banks don't. Example: BoA does charge an ACH sending fee...ranges from $3 for a 3 business day transfer up to $25 for a same day transfer..and I think they have a $10 fee for next day transfer. Banks like USAA and Schwab do not charge an ACH sending fee.

Bangkok Bank does charge a fee to flow/receive ACH transfers, but they are low fees as been discussed....normally $5 or $10 for the typical amounts transferred as the ACH transfer flows through the Bangkok Bank "New York" branch and then 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) on the local/in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch end.

The trial deposits are a one time thing to establish/setup the funds transfer link with your Sending bank.

"... you must use the internet banking service of banks in the United States which allow the remitter to specify the beneficiary’s name. Otherwise, the payment instruction Bangkok Bank receives may not carry the correct beneficiary name and Bangkok Bank will have to return funds to the remitter."

That applies to a third party account - as long as you are sending to an account in your name there is no need for any name - just your BBL account number.

wpcoe,

When using those banks you mentioned did those banks send two trial deposits which you were then suppose to find out the amounts sent to Bangkok Bank and then verify those amounts with your Sending bank....then the transfer link is established. That's how it worked for me years back when setting my my BoA transfer link with Bangkok Bank which I still have but haven't used for years...plus my other U.S. banks which I have Bangkok Bank transfer links setup used trial deposits also.

For some reason my gut is telling me the method you are using may not be sending the trial deposits. And like lopburi3 mentioned with USAA you can setup a transfer link that is Send only which does not use trail deposits...only when setting up a link with USAA for Send and Pull money does the trial deposits get sent out. And word of advice, once you do get a transfer link setup, DO NOT, attempt to use the link to pull money from Bangkok Bank as it will be rejected. Thailand is the Land of Smiles for incoming money but the Land of Frowns for Outgoing money.

Plus, I gotta ask, are you sure you used the Bangkok Bank NY routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account number. The reject msg you got almost sounds like the account number you provided does not match any account number in the Bangkok Bank system so they rejected the trial deposits assuming trial deposits were used.

Edited by Pib

Now in regards to the use of the Bangkok Bank name

I do remember getting a reject from a USAA CSR that they don't transfer to foreign banks but backed down with an apology when I pointed out that Bangkok Bank was using a US routing number and their rule about not transferring to a foreign bank did not apply

Edited by Langsuan Man

I just added a Bangkok Bank funds transfer link to my BoA account...piece of cake...took about a minute. Since I had recently closed a Bangkok Bank savings account (the account I've had loaded on my BoA account for many years) I logged onto my BoA account a few minutes ago to delete that account and to see about setting up a new funds transfer link to my new Bangkok Bank account. First, I deleted the old Bangkok Bank account and then switched to the menu where you add a new Domestic account.

Ok, the setup menu to add an account has changed a little over the years and now offers the choice of identifying the account as an account you can both Send and Pull money from or just an account you can Send money to. Years back when a person setup a funds transfer link you were not offered that choice...basically it was going to be setup as a Send To and Pull From link and involved the 2 trial deposits verification procedure which I had done before...but as mentioned in my other post above, don't ever try to Pull money from Bangkok Bank as it will reject. I do the selection to add a "Domestic" account (remember to use Domestic with Bangkok Bank "NY" branch routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok branch account number), and this time I select the account option of "Send To" only; not the Send and Pull option. I enter my SafePass code, continue on, press the Add buttion and in about 5 seconds the transfer link is "Verified" and added. Now if I had earlier selected the Send and Pull option I expect two trial deposits would have been sent over the next few days, I would find out what amounts the trial deposits were, and then complete the "Verification" which would have then completed the setup/approval of the funds transfer link.

Anyway, an absolute piece of cake to setup...took only about 2 minutes....done...finished.

Now I need to go do the same thing with a couple other bank accounts I have...like USAA. USAA allows the Send & Pull option or the Send Only option also...before I had it setup to Send & Pull but I'll do the Send only this time just to avoid the trial deposits process. Stop...Stop...OK, before finishing this post I decided to log onto my USAA account and setup the new account funds transfer link. Pretty simple....this time I went with the selection of saying I can only deposit to the account (i.e, Send money); I can't withdraw (i.e., deposit only) hopefully just to speed up the verificaiton process/avoid the trial deposits thing At the end of the process in on the confirmation page I get the following notice:

To help protect you and USAA from fraud and theft, we'll verify ownership of this account. In about three business days, you should be able to use the account for funds transfers from your USAA account. Since you don't own the account, you can'st make withdrawals from it.

So it appears a similar thing is happening to me as the OP...a name verification process is underway where USAA interfaces with Bangkok Bank in some way to confirm I can send money to the account. Right now, the link is showing in USAA as "Restricted"...hopefully the verification process will change to Verified in 3 business days orso. I will wait and see what happens. However, if I had known this kind of verification process was going to happen I would have just selected the Send and Pull type option which uses the trial deposits which also takes around three days. Oh well, live and learn...I'll let you fine folk now how above verification process works out. But in this case the evil BoA tops USAA in the ease of funds transfers link setup to other banks.

I used Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I open my account while in Thailand a number of years ago. And just recently started doing my transfer using Bangkok Bank in New York. Been doing it for the last 4 months. Only charge $10 per transaction.

Expect you are transferring something between $2K and $50K since Bangkok Bank NY applies a $10 fee for that amount range. But you are forgetting the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch currency receipt/conversion fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max). Say on a $3K transfer there would be the $10 Bangkok Bank NY fee plus about $7.50 fee on the in-Thailand branch end...total fees approx $17.50 assuming PenFed does not charge a Sending fee...it they do, then add on that fee also. Neither of the Bangkok Bank fees will appear on your account/passbook as they are applied before final posting to your account....we people don't see the fees they can thing none were levied but the fees are definitely levied.

Wow, lots of info. Thanks!

I use Chase Bank and set it up for ACH transfers to my BBL account here about 2 years ago. Previously using the Swift system with Chase. Did it all online from here in Thailand. Once the set up for Chase was done and the 2 test transfers were done(money arrived a couple days later) I had to call the BBL folks to get the details of the transfer. The Chase Bank info requires exact dollar and cent amounts so BBL folks could easily tell me the small cent amount. Plugged that back in to the Chase site and I am a happy camper now more than 2 years

I tried to set up a Chase bank account a few years ago and was denied because I lived overseas.

Unfortunately how easy or hard it is to set up depends upon your US bank and how they do EFTS. Using the Bangkok Bank US routing number and then your Thai Bangkok Bank account number usually doesn't cause a problem other than the "test deposit" currency conversion, since the test deposits are usually small amounts in cents

My bank, USAA, eliminates this problem by waiving the test deposit requirement when I state to them that I do not have signature authority over the Bankgok Bank account. This is basically bank speak that indicates the account can only be used to transfer money into, not out of

I sent a message to my credit union asking if there was a way to set up the transfers withoug the test deposits. Waiting for a reply.

I use my Citibank acct. to do ACH transfers into Bangkok Bank's NY branch. Easy to set up via Citibank's website and transfers take about three business days. Don't know how hard it is to actually open a Citibank acct. from Thailand, though.

Citibank also refused to open an account because I lived overseas, as well.

Aha! I will attempt to set up a Bank of America account online.

"... you must use the internet banking service of banks in the United States which allow the remitter to specify the beneficiarys name. Otherwise, the payment instruction Bangkok Bank receives may not carry the correct beneficiary name and Bangkok Bank will have to return funds to the remitter."

That applies to a third party account - as long as you are sending to an account in your name there is no need for any name - just your BBL account number.

But Bangkok Bank advised my credit union "... that they are unable to verify the account information you provided." And the name on both accounts is the same, other than the Bangkok Bank includes "Mister" before my name.

wpcoe,

When using those banks you mentioned did those banks send two trial deposits which you were then suppose to find out the amounts sent to Bangkok Bank and then verify those amounts with your Sending bank....then the transfer link is established. That's how it worked for me years back when setting my my BoA transfer link with Bangkok Bank which I still have but haven't used for years...plus my other U.S. banks which I have Bangkok Bank transfer links setup used trial deposits also.

For some reason my gut is telling me the method you are using may not be sending the trial deposits. And like lopburi3 mentioned with USAA you can setup a transfer link that is Send only which does not use trail deposits...only when setting up a link with USAA for Send and Pull money does the trial deposits get sent out. And word of advice, once you do get a transfer link setup, DO NOT, attempt to use the link to pull money from Bangkok Bank as it will be rejected. Thailand is the Land of Smiles for incoming money but the Land of Frowns for Outgoing money.

Plus, I gotta ask, are you sure you used the Bangkok Bank NY routing number and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account number. The reject msg you got almost sounds like the account number you provided does not match any account number in the Bangkok Bank system so they rejected the trial deposits assuming trial deposits were used.

Apparently my credit union did send the test amounts, otherwise what was the message from Bangkok Bank to my credit union saying "...that they are unable to verify the account information you provided" about?

And, yes, I'm sure about the Bangkok Bank routing number. When inputting it on my credit union's online form, their web site returned the name of the bank (Bangkok Bank).

Is the OP aware that you can only ACH to an account whose account title (owner) matches that of the sending account? You can't ACH to someone else's account. That's true for a Bangkok Bank account as well.

As above, the names on the accounts are the same, other than the "MISTER" added to the front of my name by Bangkok Bank.

I used Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I open my account while in Thailand a number of years ago. And just recently started doing my transfer using Bangkok Bank in New York. Been doing it for the last 4 months. Only charge $10 per transaction.

If Bank of America, doesn't pan out, I'll try the Pentagon Credit Union. I assume that non-Pentagon employees can do that?

Did you open a BofA account with a Thai mailing address? What state did you put? I tried using "Armed Services Pacific" on a lark, and that bombed as well, with an error saying the ZIP code was incorrect. I even tried using 5 zeros.

Apparently my credit union did send the test amounts, otherwise what was the message from Bangkok Bank to my credit union saying "...that they are unable to verify the account information you provided" about?

And, yes, I'm sure about the Bangkok Bank routing number. When inputting it on my credit union's online form, their web site returned the name of the bank (Bangkok Bank).

If the credit union sent trial deposits you should have known about it because you should have been instructed to complete the validation process by finding out those amounts and entering the amounts in the credit union online system to complete the verification process. But then again, maybe your credit union do send some trial deposits solely for in-house use just to see if they reject or not and if they can pull back the trial deposits sent. It's my understanding that some banks do try to pull back trial deposits back just to make it a zero cost to them because over the years in setting up transfer links to my other U.S. banks I've seen the transactions where the deposits were successfully pulled back. But in the case of setting up a link to Bangkok Bank the pullback attempt was always rejected; however, the funds link was still validated for both Send and Pull. I expect the trial deposit Pullback reject message they got back was worded in such a way saying the account was indeed mine but Bangkok Bank just don't allow international funds Pulls....but I'm guessing.

Since you obviously used the correct routing number I wonder if the account number was in error. A good routing number would have allowed it to flow through the New York branch onto Thailand...but if the account number was in error it would reject on the Thailand end. Bangkok Bank savings account numbers consist of 10 digits (not counting dashes or spaces) with the first 3 digits representing the branch like 101-XXXXXX-X representing the Silom branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road in Bangkok. You might want to double check the account number used.

Edited by Pib

Before I jump through PenFed's hoops, can I please verify that you joined WITH A THAILAND ADDRESS?

Since I am not military, nor a government employee, nor a relative of either, they require I join National Military Family Association for $20, or Voices for America's Troops for $15.

[after a short intermission]

Okay, I tried it on blind faith -- choosing to donate $15 to Voices for America's Troops -- and it failed. "INVALID STATE/COUNTRY CODE"

This is fun. (not)

If the credit union sent trial deposits you should have known about it because you should have been instructed to complete the validation process by finding out those amounts and entering the amounts in the credit union online system to complete the verification process. But then again, maybe your credit union do send some trial deposits solely for in-house use just to see if they reject or not and if they can pull back the trial deposits sent. It's my understanding that some banks do try to pull back trial deposits back just to make it a zero cost to them because over the years in setting up transfer links to my other U.S. banks I've seen the transactions where the deposits were successfully pulled back. But in the case of setting up a link to Bangkok Bank the pullback attempt was always rejected; however, the funds link was still validated for both Send and Pull. I expect the trial deposit Pullback reject message they got back was worded in such a way saying the account was indeed mine but Bangkok Bank just don't allow international funds Pulls....but I'm guessing.

Since you obviously used the correct routing number I wonder if the account number was in error. A good routing number would have allowed it to flow through the New York branch onto Thailand...but if the account number was in error it would reject on the Thailand end. Bangkok Bank savings account numbers consist of 10 digits (not counting dashes or spaces) with the first 3 digits representing the branch like 101-XXXXXX-X representing the Silom branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road in Bangkok. You might want to double check the account number used.

I have set up a couple interbank transfers in the past, and yes, the process is to verify the amounts received on the other bank and report it back to my credit union. I called Bangkok Bank 1333 and they know exactly what I wanted, but they showed no account activity. The credit union transfer page was waiting for me to input the amount of the test transfer. Then I received the rejection notice from my credit union saying that Bangkok Bank was unable to verify the information.

And, yes, the account number I entered was correct. Mine was in the format 614-x-xxxxx-x, though the dashes were not accepted in the online form.

HOWEVER, this may be the problem: My Bangkok Bank passbook has both MISTER and my FULL MIDDLE NAME spelled out, whereas the credit union uses no title and only my middle initial. What are the odds that Bangkok Bank could not equate MISTER JOHN QUINICY SMITH with JOHN Q SMITH? <sigh...>

I'm guessing the trial transfer money made it to Bangkok Bank and they rejected it based on the names not matching, i.e. it would have been seen as a "third party" transfer.

[edited to add:]

I just submitted a new online request for the credit union to set up a transfer with Bangkok Bank. Who knows, maybe the second time's a charm.

Edited by wpcoe

HOWEVER, this may be the problem: My Bangkok Bank passbook has both MISTER and my FULL MIDDLE NAME spelled out, whereas the credit union uses no title and only my middle initial. What are the odds that Bangkok Bank could not equate MISTER JOHN QUINICY SMITH with JOHN Q SMITH? <sigh...>

I'm guessing the trial transfer money made it to Bangkok Bank and they rejected it based on the names not matching, i.e. it would have been seen as a "third party" transfer.

Any thing is possible but last year when I opened a new Bangkok Bank account I immediately went online that same day to 3 (maybe it was 4) of my U.S. bank accounts to setup funds transfer links to the new Bangkok Bank account. Boy, was that a mistake as the next day the trial deposits from each of those banks hit my Bangkok Bank account. I hadn't setup the SMS Remittance Notice yet so I didn't get an SMSs showing me the USD amounts arriving. So, I just went to my branch which was the Silom branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building and actually got a print out of the transfers from the HQ Bangkok Bank International Funds Transfer section on the 2nd floor. Anyway I got those 6 printouts (a print out for each of the 2 deposits from the 3 banks) and on each print out the my name used by the Sending bank was slightly different....one bank didn't include my middle initial...and the two other ones did...and one of them include a Mr. in the name. Now none of those names "exactly" matched my name on my Bangkok Bank account since it uses the full spelling of my middle name but my U.S. banks only use the initial....only the first and last names matched. Anyway, Bangkok Bank did not reject any of those trial deposits.

And guess what, getting those print outs "DID NOT" show which U.S. bank had sent the trial deposits....all six print outs had the same U.S. transmitting organization...like it was some middle man involved in flowing trial deposits. So here I had 6 print outs and I couldn't tell which U.S. bank had sent them due to all 3 using the same middleman organization to flow the trial deposits at some point along the trip. And when asking the Bangkok Bank folks if they tell which specific U.S. bank had sent the funds they said they could only see what was on the print outs which was that middle man organization for trial deposits. Well, I did get the trial deposits validated at all 3 banks through some guessing/further investagation but I will never initiate a funds link/trial deposits from more than one of my banks at a time from here on. Live and learn.

Before I jump through PenFed's hoops, can I please verify that you joined WITH A THAILAND ADDRESS?

Since I am not military, nor a government employee, nor a relative of either, they require I join National Military Family Association for $20, or Voices for America's Troops for $15.

Okay, I tried it on blind faith -- choosing to donate $15 to Voices for America's Troops -- and it failed. "INVALID STATE/COUNTRY CODE"

This is fun. (not)

The address is an APO address with JUSMAGTHAI. So not really it is a state side address I guess you would say.

Wells Fargo is super easy, fast, and you decide the speed:

"2-Business Day Delivery Daily Limit is $15,000 and Monthly Limit is $25,000" and

"Next Business Day Delivery Daily Limit is $2,000 and Monthly Limit is $5,000" and

"Fees may apply when transferring funds to your non-Wells Fargo account".

Transfer Fee to a non-Wells Fargo Account (2-Business Day Delivery) - $3

Transfer Fee to a non-Wells Fargo Account (Next Business Day Delivery) - $10

I think Wells Fargo and Bangkok Bank split about a twenty baht fee vs. the exchange rate and there's about a three day plus window to see your funds.

So, your Fee is $3 or $10 to transfer money from your Wells Fargo checking or savings account to Bangkok Bank New York City, who transfers your money to Bangkok Bank THAILAND.

It's very easy. I've never experienced a delay or any issues. Just remember the phrase "business days" along with not forgetting about the holidays in the USA and/or THAILAND, and the average of about three additional days for your cash to move from NYC to THAILAND.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

from my iPad in Cha-Am

Wells Fargo is super easy, fast, and you decide the speed:

"2-Business Day Delivery Daily Limit is $15,000 and Monthly Limit is $25,000" and

"Next Business Day Delivery Daily Limit is $2,000 and Monthly Limit is $5,000" and

"Fees may apply when transferring funds to your non-Wells Fargo account".

Transfer Fee to a non-Wells Fargo Account (2-Business Day Delivery) - $3

Transfer Fee to a non-Wells Fargo Account (Next Business Day Delivery) - $10

I think Wells Fargo and Bangkok Bank split about a twenty baht fee vs. the exchange rate and there's about a three day plus window to see your funds.

So, your Fee is $3 or $10 to transfer money from your Wells Fargo checking or savings account to Bangkok Bank New York City, who transfers your money to Bangkok Bank THAILAND.

It's very easy. I've never experienced a delay or any issues. Just remember the phrase "business days" along with not forgetting about the holidays in the USA and/or THAILAND, and the average of about three additional days for your cash to move from NYC to THAILAND.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1391689331.711375.jpg

from my iPad in Cha-Am

Did you have to verify trial deposits?

This is fun. (not)

The address is an APO address with JUSMAGTHAI. So not really it is a state side address I guess you would say.

Does your PenFed account use a Thailand mailing address?

Thanks, Pib, for sharing your experience with Bangkok Bank with slightly varying versions of your name. So, I guess that isn't the problem. I wonder what the heck was the problem with my attempt to set things up?

My fingers are crossed, but expectations are not high, that the second new request I sent yesterday will work.

I did learn from the folks at 1333 that I will be able to see any trial transfer deposit via online banking, though it will be shown in THB, and I'll need to call them to get the USD amount. That will cut down on the daily calls to 1333 to see if the transfer came through yet.

[edited to add]

I had asked my credit union if there were any way to change the name on my account with them to include MISTER and my full middle name. They just now replied:

I have reviewed your deactivated account with Bangkok Bank Public Co LTD and have found the verification amounts were returned by your other institution as “Unauthorized.” While your name is listed as [John Q Smith] on your Alliant Account, the way your name is listed should not cause an issue if you are an owner on the Bangkok Bank Public Account. Unfortunately, we cannot explain why your other institution returned the verification amount as “Unauthorized.”

The original message I received (probably a programmatic, auto-response) from my credit union was:

"BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC CO., LTD. has notified us that they are unable to verify the account information you provided."

Now they are saying it was returned by BBL simply as "unauthorized."

Edited by wpcoe

Yes, I had to verify one small trial deposit from my Wells Fargo account to my Bangkok bank account. I waited a few days, called the Bangkok Bank telephone number, verified my account, and they gave me the amount Wells Fargo deposited into my Bangkok bank account. I entered the amount in my Wells Fargo online account. It was a very simple process. Good luck!

from my iPad in Cha-Am

Thanks, Pib, for sharing your experience with Bangkok Bank with slightly varying versions of your name. So, I guess that isn't the problem. I wonder what the heck was the problem with my attempt to set things up?

My fingers are crossed, but expectations are not high, that the second new request I sent yesterday will work.

I did learn from the folks at 1333 that I will be able to see any trial transfer deposit via online banking, though it will be shown in THB, and I'll need to call them to get the USD amount. That will cut down on the daily calls to 1333 to see if the transfer came through yet.

[edited to add]

I had asked my credit union if there were any way to change the name on my account with them to include MISTER and my full middle name. They just now replied:

I have reviewed your deactivated account with Bangkok Bank Public Co LTD and have found the verification amounts were returned by your other institution as “Unauthorized.” While your name is listed as [John Q Smith] on your Alliant Account, the way your name is listed should not cause an issue if you are an owner on the Bangkok Bank Public Account. Unfortunately, we cannot explain why your other institution returned the verification amount as “Unauthorized.”

The original message I received (probably a programmatic, auto-response) from my credit union was:

Now they are saying it was returned by BBL simply as "unauthorized."

Well, a response back of "Unauthorized" actually sounds more like it considering the very limited size of data/text fields in the funds transfer system. Heck, core reasons behind "unauthorized" could probably mean different things if a person could ever contact the specific Bangkok Bank person that rejected it. Hopefully,you second try will work out better.

Maybe my USAA funds link setup is working the same way this time since I tried the "Send Only" option this time; before I always used the Send and Pull type option which used trial deposits that "I had to verify"....that always worked out fine. But like I mentioned earlier if I had it to do over I would have just used the Send & Pull type option because based on the last time I used this method mid last year the trial deposits showed up the next day which would allow a person to log back onto USAA the next day and complete the verification....but the current verification method of Send Only is estimating 3 business days until I get confirmation up or down and I'm really not sure what type of interface USAA is accomplishing with Bangkok Bank. I may get an "unauthorized" answer back also...if so, I'll do the Send and Pull type option which uses trial deposits which I must verify. Maybe the trial deposits method is more on "autopilot/little human intervention or review" where the other method requires a Bangkok Bank/receiving bank rep to review the funds transfer link request and manually type back in approval/unauthorized/etc., if all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. Who knows...I sure don't...I'm guessing...banking can be very frustrating sometimes.

Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread but am curious if anyone has any experience sending money the other way back to the US via the BK bank New York office?

My GF would like to pay some of her suppliers in the US via domestic wire transfer for products she imports.

Is there a way to do this, i.e. fund the BK bank account here in Baht and transfer in dollars to different US banks via the New York branch?

Thanks for any insights!

Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread but am curious if anyone has any experience sending money the other way back to the US via the BK bank New York office?

My GF would like to pay some of her suppliers in the US via domestic wire transfer for products she imports.

Is there a way to do this, i.e. fund the BK bank account here in Baht and transfer in dollars to different US banks via the New York branch?

Thanks for any insights!

Sure. Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage providing more info on "how to use "ibanking" to transfer money out of Thailand. You will notice the Thai's have more reasons that they can transfer money out; farangs only one (salary repatriation).

Now walking into a bank and doing a outbound transfer there are more reasons allowed but you would need to check with the bank.