Faces of Thailand

Rob8891

The face of poverty. She was waiting for the Saturday Walking Street to finish, so she could pick through the rubbish with her two wee children, who had been tied to the bike with yellow tape so they couldn't wander off. It looked like all her worldly goods were in the cart on the back of the bike.

14111578528_2b6c4167ae_b.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The face of poverty. She was waiting for the Saturday Walking Street to finish, so she could pick through the rubbish with her two wee children, who had been tied to the bike with yellow tape so they couldn't wander off. It looked like all her worldly goods were in the cart on the back of the bike.

Outta likes Rob. One of your best street portraits to date.

Is this Chiangmai? Is she there every day? Whereabouts is it she parks? I would like to slip her a tenner. It looks like the cart is a mobile home where they sleep..

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this Chiangmai? Is she there every day? Whereabouts is it she parks? I would like to slip her a tenner. It looks like the cart is a mobile home where they sleep..

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes, FF, she was in Chiang Mai. She was parked up on the forecourt of the motorbike shop (under Noble House) at the top of Nantharam Road, waiting for the Wulai Street market to finish. I did give her some money, but I'm ashamed to say it wasn't as much as a tenner! I have never seen her since I took this (almost exactly a year ago).

I think you are right about all her worldly possessions being on that cart....here is a wider-angle shot. It upset me for ages at the time, and I can't say I feel much better seeing it again. I wonder what became of her and her children....

14287631686_5b0f34cf51_b.jpg

Rob,

Seeing those images last two images of yours makes me feel humble and a little embarrassed.

If ever I am having a bad day or complaining about trivial things that are happening in my life

then I need to remember this image of a Mother and her two children that are a hell of a lot worse

of than me.It really brings home how lucky I am/we all are.

Thank you for posting these images and giving me a reality check wai.gif

^^ Yeah me too, Shaggy.... I was in a grump earlier... now feel very guilty.

Oh damn it...dust in my eye again!!!

And double apologies for a double-post...facepalm.gif . the TVF gremlins are having fun with my posts today!!

^^ Yeah me too, Shaggy.... I was in a grump earlier... now feel very guilty.

Oh damn it...dust in my eye again!!!

Have been back a couple of times and viewed this photo Rob,when You posted the first photo I didn't even notice the trailer behind the motorbike.

At first I thought it was one of the scammers,young woman with two children begging for money.It wasn't until you posted the second image that the

reality kicked in and I saw that it was her home and life that was hooked on to the back of the moped.

When I was teenager I also spent the best part of a year being homeless,making money however I could,not knowing where my next meal was

coming from....even picking butt ends up in the street.I am not a religious man but I really do pray that life has got better things in store for this

little family.

Amazing what emotions a photo can bring out sometimes in a person.That's one heavy,hard hitting image you posted there Ol' Hansum dog.

Archived