would you still feel comfortable in your home country?

Crazy chef 1

Good post Claffey.

I agree the UK is miserable.

Having left the UK about 20 years ago (I am 48 years old), can't say that I don't feel at home when I go back (twice in the last 10 years for two week holidays visiting family).

I certainly see that the grass is greener on the other side.

For quite some time, the UK is going through a cultural exchange. Loads of people have moved in (immigrants), and loads of people have moved out (Brits).

People will say that you get free schools and free health care. This is true - if you don't pay tax - this is the problem. The welfare system has created a monster.

I feel its not for me. I realised this when I was in my mid 20's - got a one way ticket to New Dehli with Aeroflot and haven't looked back since.

Best thing about the UK is the passport and promise of a state pension, and beer, and Sheffield United, and Cider, and Fish and Chips, and .....er....leaving.

Thailand is far from perfect, but it is a better place to be as long as you have money.

I have been living here in Thailand for over ten years now and I am happy to say that I am enjoying living here. Having said and meant this, I still love my own country. I agree that a lot has gone wrong in the UK, but the State Pension that you mention is part of the social revolution that you condemn. I don't think I'll ever return to the UK, apart from annual holidays, but I still say, it's a good country with its problems and home is home, even if one doesn't stay there!!

• Like 2

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only for holidays

Full time, nope. Over subscribed job market, unhealthy climate for those with chronic conditions like me, high cost of living, live to work philosophies. Nah, sod that

Only benefit would be free healthcare which may force me back home for a time. Hopefully not though, presently it's in a sort of remission at the moment, can't do a full op but is inactive. Longer it stays that way and I can use non IV medication, longer I can stay here. No desire to return

No. Too many people are rude and aggressive in the homeland and I've had too many years of young attractive ladies actually paying attantion to me here. That would never happen, at my age, back home.

sad but true,not even at my age(40).

BTW where is Jingthing,transam and naam and all the old veterans- may still sleeping?

I'm still awake. Jingthing is on a baht bus, Transam is fixing an old engine, and Naam is busy with his students.

• Like 1

I came here at age 62 for some dental and medical needs that were way beyond my financial ability even with 'insurance' in America. The medical took several months and I travelled to and fro and after the third trip I found myself not wanting to go back to the Homeland to live. When I was there, I only wanted to return here. Now I have a few close friends, an actual sex life, a simple far less costly life style and freedom from the most of the necessary (or so I felt) social obligations to maintain a middle-class existence. I also sense that element of personal freedom that others have mentioned and value it highly.

I've been back in the states for three months to take care of family business. I couldn't live here anymore and will back to Thailand in two weeks. So many reasons for finding the states unlivable that I wouldn't even begin to list them. The marketing of culture and the culture of marketing at the top of a long list, and unfortunately that mentality is being exported all around the world at a rapid rate.

• Like 2

The last few years I've spent 6 months in LOS and six months in Oz.

Am currently in Oz and am having troubles deciding whether to return to LOS this winter.

The things I dislike in LOS:

I've come to realise that I'll never speak Thai fluently and that I'll always be a despised foreigner.

I hate the mindless noise everywhere, even in temples.

I am worried by the terribly dangerous roads.

I am too old for booze and bars, so after a few months I'm terminally bored.

I lose my free Australian health care.

It's actually cheaper for me to live in Oz. Thailand is not the great deal it was twenty years ago.

I find Oz much safer, cheaper, more friendly and much quieter!

About the only thing I worry about in Oz is the hidden but very real political corruption.

Lately I've been taking note of the donations by shonky groups to main-stream political parties.

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

No - after being here several year the USA just does not fit for me anymore.....it was getting bad 5 years ago and now everyone I am in contact with are stuck there and unhappy....many thinking of leaving....when young/old/married/single friends leave Thailand and go to the USA they cannot stand it for more than a week or two.....it's just not the friendly country it used to be....Thailand reminds me much more of the USA I grew up in than the USA to me now......only way I can stand it is have a RV there - go back tour for a month or two with my lady...take practice with some of my sports playing friends from coast to coast - then get back here.....USA does have some of the best scenery and beaches in the world to offer.....

Right now the people are running scared, angry, and over worked - unhappy........I do not see that here......

have lived in Thailand on and off quite a few years in between army service and working in Europe, we are living in Australia at the moment,came out here from UK in 96, was lucky enuf to be able to live in Thailand for a couple of year in the late 90,s, Thailand got to crowded, so we sold up and bought property in Vungtau Vietnam, while I love winding our colonial friends up a bit, But I couldn't live in Uk , relatives are worse scroungers and money borrowers than my thai family ever were,when we visit uk and Germany, it is purely to visit thai friends and family,maybe a move to spain is on the cards, cose enuffor funerals and weddings, but far enuf away for the quiet lifeclap2.gif

No. Too many people are rude and aggressive in the homeland and I've had too many years of young attractive ladies actually paying attantion to me here. That would never happen, at my age, back home.

sad but true,not even at my age(40).

Really? I departed Blighty at 41 years old and left behind a very attractive 27yr old GF and a pretty 29 year old lover both of whom pursued me.

Anyway, while I agree with most of what's been said about being comfortable back home, I'm forever mindful that as a demographic, those of us who've shipped out are in a tiny minority.

There are 65+ million people back home who are more than happy to remain there despite the country's problems.

I agree with most of you guys.......Money if you have it in LOS you're always gonna be ok, i know one thing i love my born country Canada, one of the best in the world for living and to raise children, but with bills and taxes and all the sh... Thailand is my number one choice for the no worries be happy things..................

In Europe an North America there to much law.......now i just cant wait to see Suthep go back South he p..s me off 5555555555

Chang time..cheers guys thumbsup.gif

Hello!

The other thing also to consider is "how you live your life" in Thailand.Apart from it being very cheap ( i live easily on my own on 15,000 baht a month inc rent,visa,food,train trips etc ) Before coming to Thailand i lived in Spain for 20 years and hated even visiting the UK!! I think also if you are the type of farang that " lives a farang lifestyle " in Thailand ( booze,bars,football,farang friends,farang food etc ) then it will be quite easy to return to the UK. But i came to Thailand to live a Thai lifestyle ( but outside in the sun every day!) eating thai food,meeting thai people and NOT taking part in the " typical farang things " in Thailand.Therefore i would feel " a total Alien " living back in the UK!!! I did go back to the UK for a while when i was living in Spain but found that i just couldn't handle any of it and just couldn't mix with anybody! It was one of the most difficult things ever!!!!

I think if i ever had to go back to the UK for " financial reasons " then i would rather stay here and " wrap myself in an orange sheet " get myself a cool no 1 short hair cut and become " A Monk " ...............wai2.gif

• Like 1

I have been in SE Asia, Australia and New Zealand since 1995, but 80% of the time in Thailand. I was born in London in 1953. I still have property in East London and Torbay, Devon. I can't wait to go back home. I am sick of the sun and the lack of any aesthetically pleasing counrtyside. Everywhere here is the same, when you travel its like a hamster on a wheel, very boring. If all you want to do is drink beer and sit outside a bar looking for girls, then, yes, Thailand is great, Philippines even better for that. However, I am a day person and an outdoor person. I rarelt imbibe alcohol and the girls here really bore me stupid. Anyway, It is just too hot. In April I am returning to UK permanantly. I was there for 6 months last summer and one month in December last year,, I was so happy there. Yes, I am financially solvent, I retired when I was 41, and I just love it back in England. I'm going home !!

Good for you, as they say "there is no place like home"

I doubt that most who respond here actually live in Thailand.

How can a person have 1000's upon 1000's of post on an anonymous forum, and experience life in Thailand, they never go out !!!

Oh no , don't tell me, the guys with 1ooo's of posts know what its all about............................rubbish.

• Like 2