Can I beat the taxi queue at Summanapum?

mangoman007

I agree with choosing my own taxi. I'm the paying customer so I expect a car and driver in reasonable condition and not some clapped out piece of junk that resembles a smash up derby entrant. The limo is a pleasurable trip.

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Don't mind how he drives, just don't want to ride with a young one and his jet taxi (with sport decoration) and not with the one who call me you or farang (actually always ignore the ones who call me), and always prefer older drivers as they are just here to do their job and shut up, not to try to become my friend.

Yes, if you turn the turnstyle to the right angle you can pass and snag a taxi on the departure level.

I was shocked ( duh) that the taxi driver I used at the official taxi stand didn't want to use his meter. <deleted>? I told him to stop and let me out. He backed down. He wanted to rip me off and get the extra 50 for the airport. I will go back to using the departure level.

• Like 1

Stop at the AOT booth and get one of their limos. Or hop on the Airport Rail and forgo the roads altogether.

Otherwise, suck it up, do it legal, and take your turn with the rest of us unwashed masses.

I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a taxi at Swampy, but that may just be luck. On my one trip into DM, the taxi line took over half an hour.

Me too. Never had to wait more than a few minutes even when there are loads of people, the queues move very quickly.

But reading this at least I know now what those bloody big turnstiles at departures have been installed for!

You just go to the car parking area and take the lift to the departure level.

I think you will find that there is not much of a queue at taxi area.

not possible unless you're spiderman

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good luck I got stopped doing just that. Can't go up from arrivals apparently. Not according to the uniformed lady anyway. What the hell I had to wait a whole five minutes for a taxi anyway.

Yeah, there are so many taxis out there and the system is so well managed that a wait hardly ever occurs.

Not in my experience. Never waited any less than 20 minutes, people pushing in. All the usual nonsense. Maybe it's changes in the past few years? But going upstairs to departures was always much quicker.

Cross to long term parking, take the parking station lift, then cross back to departures.

Yes, take an 8-10 minute walk and elevator ride via the parking garage to catch a taxi on Departures and avoid the 8-10 minutes walk and wait at the official taxi rank on Arrivals.

Priceless.

• Like 2

You will save yourself so much time sitting in traffic if you just take the Airport link, especially the express... only 17 minutes to the end at Phaya Thai. Get off at whatever stop is closest to the hotel and get a cab from there. You save yourself sooooo much time.

The express link doesn't go to Phaya Tai, it terminates at Makkasan. The City Line's extra journey time is hardly worth worrying about, airport to Phaya Tai last Sunday in 25 minutes but standing all the way.

You will save yourself so much time sitting in traffic if you just take the Airport link, especially the express... only 17 minutes to the end at Phaya Thai. Get off at whatever stop is closest to the hotel and get a cab from there. You save yourself sooooo much time.

The express link doesn't go to Phaya Tai, it terminates at Makkasan. The City Line's extra journey time is hardly worth worrying about, airport to Phaya Tai last Sunday in 25 minutes but standing all the way.

Gosh, I wish. There's express trains to Phaya Thai and express trains to Makkasan. Don't get on the wrong one or you'll have to get on the city line to get to your desired station. Ask me how I know that. I'm a Makkasan kind of guy.

Why they don't just send all express trains to both stops is a mystery to me...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Where are you fom mate? Is that's a common practice in your home country?

Personally, I just get frustrated having to deal with the taxi mafia who don't want to use the meters or continually try to take you on the scenic route to get the extra charges once the meter is on. Its not about saving a few baht or saving the time waiting in the queue even, its just that I don't need all the BS from these guys after a long flight and long wait in the immigration queues.

• Like 2

I have been in two accidents in taxis in Bangkok and both times they were my drivers' fault. One time almost killed my kids. There is a wide range in the quality and safety of taxis in Bangkok and I prefer to check out the drivers and cars before I make the seat-beltless run to my house. It's not about saving a few baht or a few minutes. It's about choice--and my own safety and that of my family. For those of you who ACTUALLY answered my question, thank you.

• Like 1

by getting a taxi from the departures level you are not "jumping the queue" as so many seem to insist. you are simply joining a different queue. one that is shorter, and 50b cheaper, but for some reason discouraged by the swampy authorities

those guys would be traveling out the airport empty, so you are doing your bit for the environment by using this queue also (and helping to reduce the queue downstairs)

last time we used this queue tho, the driver agreed 1500b to hua hin, but once wife and luggage were loaded in, and we had set off a few hundred yards, told us the fare was 1800b. he had us over a barrel by now, as the options for jumping out are limited, plus who could we have complained to. wanger sad.png

maybe a few more cowboy drivers use this taxi rank

What I did was find a good reliable taxi driver who is always on time and drives safely. His cost is the same as a Metered Taxi but I always give him a 10 to 20% Tip. He greets me as soon as I get through Customs and takes my bag to his car in the Parking Lot. He will pick me up in Pattaya when I leave, or greet me at the airport when I return as he is from Bangkok.

When you find one like this from Bangkok, get his card or cell phone number. Call him in advance of your plans. You may have to wait for a taxi when you arrive but taxi drivers have to wait a lot longer then you to get a customer, so they are happy to do this and with no needed premium added on, they are cheaper and faster then getting a Limo at the airport. .

by getting a taxi from the departures level you are not "jumping the queue" as so many seem to insist. you are simply joining a different queue. one that is shorter, and 50b cheaper, but for some reason discouraged by the swampy authorities

those guys would be traveling out the airport empty, so you are doing your bit for the environment by using this queue also (and helping to reduce the queue downstairs)

last time we used this queue tho, the driver agreed 1500b to hua hin, but once wife and luggage were loaded in, and we had set off a few hundred yards, told us the fare was 1800b. he had us over a barrel by now, as the options for jumping out are limited, plus who could we have complained to. wanger sad.png

Seems living doesn't always mean learning. FYI, there is a limousine firm that will take you from the airport to Hua Hin for B1,800.

not possible unless you're spiderman

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No need to be Spiderman, all you need is two feet. Think about it the other way around. You can park your car and reach both the arrival and departure areas.

You can not get from the car park to level 4,

It should be possible in most airports, but here there is no walkway across,I've been there and seen it,

Also another poster on here,

Have you seen this with your own eyes ?

Unless you can jump 60/70 feet from car park to level 4 with a big drop

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 3 months later...

Yup, I have had them do this to me before too. They get out onto the expressway and then turn off the meter and tell you a price. What can you do? Call the complaints line? Now that is a joke.

I think some people just like to do this because it makes them feel like a super smart expert old hand who knows all the clever tricks.

It's pretty pointless though. As others have said, the legit method of getting a cab is quick and simple.

I think some people just like to do this because it makes them feel like a super smart expert old hand who knows all the clever tricks.

It's pretty pointless though. As others have said, the legit method of getting a cab is quick and simple.

i did it because usually the drivers there are more keen to find a fare, and this is reflected in the prices they offer for the trip to hua hin. you would not be able to get the fare for 1500B in the public taxi queue, i am sure