No Red Wine Boxes In Chiang Mai?

PostmanPat

Does anyone know why there are no boxed red wines available at any of the usual outlets in Chiang Mai? The cupboard is bare at every Rimping, at Makro, at Tesco, at Tops.......there is a sprinkling of White Boxes around, but no red at all.

The rumours I ve heard so far are 1. There is a dispute at Government level over the taxation level on wine boxes (thought that was resolved a few months ago when there was a massive increase in wine prices) 2. Wine cant travel right now because of the Political blockades in Bangkok

Its a mystery. You cant even get Montclair right now, the one which is normally most easily available everywhere!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not exactly sure if red wine, but I saw yesterday at the "give friends 100%" shop at Nimmanhemin rd. plenty of Montclair wine boxes. This place, where you can sit outside, drink something at the supermarket price and watch the crowd walk by....

i am not exactly sure if red wine, but I saw yesterday at the "give friends 100%" shop at Nimmanhemin rd. plenty of Montclair wine boxes. This place, where you can sit outside, drink something at the supermarket price and watch the crowd walk by....

Kamrai Shop

Whiskey, Beer, and Alchohol.

The mama friended me on Facebook.

Bit like the recent tonic water shortage I would guess. Peter Vella red wine casks been absent to from Makro ,Hang Dong since New Year.

Doubt its anything to do with the political strife just under estimated demand I would think. "Coming soon" was the answer yesterday

Who in their right mind drinks montclair wine

People who object to paying 399 baht for the total crap they now mostly have in the bins at Rimping? When it was 333 baht, they had some pretty good stuff, now its 399 baht, not only has it gone up by 20% the good stuffs gone and been replaced by bottles that taste worse than Montclair!!

Work out the math, 1000 baht for 5 litres or 399 baht for 75 centilitres of similar tasting stuff, and theres your answer!

So you drink it because its the cheapest crap then

Who in their right mind drinks montclair wine

People who object to paying 399 baht for the total crap they now mostly have in the bins at Rimping? When it was 333 baht, they had some pretty good stuff, now its 399 baht, not only has it gone up by 20% the good stuffs gone and been replaced by bottles that taste worse than Montclair!!

Work out the math, 1000 baht for 5 litres or 399 baht for 75 centilitres of similar tasting stuff, and theres your answer!

agreed, I am drinking a 399 Rimping Rioja just now and its in shit state, cork dried out and cloudy - will still drink it however due to lack of supplies.

Edited by onthedarkside
profanity removed

Seasonally, red wine sells fast in winter and I noticed a shortage of the good stuff just after Xmas. Plenty of Mont Clair/Peter Vella cheap stuff around but quality [can I say that about shatto cardbord?] Chilean, Italian and Oz red were sold out real quick.

Supply and demand.

Typically, if you see a good deal or something imported ... buy now and stock up!

Glad you started this thread - for the past few weeks I have been saying where is the red - in my mind I thought that because of the new tax rule that you had to sell through your existing stock before you bring on the new prices - but now I don't know - ???

A reason for the shortage, could be due to the Importer having issues with their respective Excise Department being closed due to the political nonsense here in Bangkok and as such can't clear the product.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

haven't had any problem finding red wine at all. i don't buy boxes so can't comment on that. but plenty of decent bottles at Tesco in Sansai, Big C (plenty there last night).

i too have given up on Rimping. like the others said, they used to have decent bottles for 333 Baht. since they raised the price to 399, the quality has gone downhill. the last bottle i bought was not drinkable and i had to pour it down the drain which was a real disappointment.

likewise for Wine Connection.their 399 bottles suck too. about 2 years ago i used to be able to find some decent Merlot or Cabernet for 399 but not anymore.

Well, that is encouraging. I just wish I wrote down the names of the two bottles we threw out this morning (one we had the first sip and knew it was going down the drain, the other was better and we managed to get more than 1/2 the bottle down). If we buy bottled wine again, I'm going to try to write them down so I know what not to buy!

Horeca now has Mont Clair in stock, so the main stores should have it soon.

Good information.....NOT, Chiengmaijoe!! Horeca doesnt stock wine in boxes, I went there today!

Sorry about that, My sources said bit Horeca but it is Sadomnoeng, opposite the Diamond hotel on Charoenprathet rd. Good exercise anyway.

One of Australia's leading wine producers, whose been in the industry for a life time drinks his companies "chateau cardboard" and believes its quality is equal to the same or similar bottled

vintage and why shouldn't it be ?

Hope you're not referring to Mr Angove ;)

Horeca now has Mont Clair in stock, so the main stores should have it soon.

Good information.....NOT, Chiengmaijoe!! Horeca doesnt stock wine in boxes, I went there today!

Sorry about that, My sources said bit Horeca but it is Sadomnoeng, opposite the Diamond hotel on Charoenprathet rd. Good exercise anyway.

Thanks for that! My search continues tomorrow!