Tesco Lotus to maintain clothing prices despite rise in output costs

webfact

Tesco Lotus to maintain clothing prices despite rise in output costs
Matavee Tunrungwetjarun
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tesco Lotus says it will try not to raise its clothing prices even though garment-production costs have risen.

Thanuruj Tehchasipaitoon, deputy managing director of the garments and men's wear division of Tesco's Ek-Chai Distribution System Co, said there had not been an increase in its garment prices for two years despite continuing rises in production costs.

One factor was the increase in the daily minimum wage to Bt300, while the costs of some raw materials also rose.

Meanwhile, per-purchase spending on clothing by consumers has increased.

Garment prices start at Bt79 for a T-shirt (Britain's F&F brand), "green" products begin at Bt249, and jeans start at Bt429.

Tesco Lotus expects clothing sales to grow by 10-15 per cent this year, down from the normal growth of 20-30 per cent, because of consumers' weaker purchasing power and the prolonged political unrest.

Tesco Lotus says it will continue to increase the proportion of green products and support environmental-preservation programmes such as reforestation, and aims to cut in half its carbon-dioxide emissions by 2021.

The retail giant currently sells 300 green products, such as energy-saving light bulbs and utensils made from sugar cane.

With a Bt500,000 research-and-development budget, Tesco Lotus in conjunction with F&F brand has produced men's garments made with recycled polyester fibre derived from plastic bottles.

Such green garments currently comprise 20-30 per cent of the clothing sold by Tesco Lotus.

Electrical goods will be the next in line for green, energy-saving products, Thanuruj said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-11

I couldn't care what they charge for clothes. They only have one brand called something like F&F and the shirt styles don't seem to be geared toward the regular guy. They seem more for men with a strong feminine side, if you know what I mean.

As for wearing clothing developed by Lotus made out of recycled soda bottles...I don't think so.

Tesco has gone downhill in my opinion recently. The yellow tags are less than 1/2, even with just a day to go till expiry for things like milk. Also, they will sell things a day after they have expired! Veggies are often rotten!! As for clothes, I can get better quality kids clothes when I am in the U.S. and cheaper as well if on sale.

• Like 1

The costs might have risen but that doesn't mean they paid their suppliers a higher price.

Is this a placement for Tesco?

Agreed! Sounds like an advertisement

Just because they raised the minimum wage does not mean the people are getting paid that much. I know some gov workers who still have not gotten minimum wages but have been promised to get it in arrears once the paperwork is completed. More than a year now waiting for that paperwork heeheeed

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know if I'm buying what Lotus is saying about they haven't raised their garment prices in 2 years. I rarely buy any garments from Lotus for myself, but my wife periodically buys some of her clothes at Lotus and the prices have went up according to what her and I have seen/paid.

Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 08:58, said:

I couldn't care what they charge for clothes. They only have one brand called something like F&F and the shirt styles don't seem to be geared toward the regular guy. They seem more for men with a strong feminine side, if you know what I mean.

As for wearing clothing developed by Lotus made out of recycled soda bottles...I don't think so.

No, I don't know what you mean!

Can I have the definition of the regular guy, so I can compare with myself that I buy shirts from Tesco?

As about recycling........have you heard before?..........it's a good thing to do.

Even if the price of clothes hasn't gone up in Tesco's everything else certainly has. Bullshit baffles brains and all production and supply price rises are covered by increasing the prices of ALL products across the store.

Tesco won't be giving anything away to anyone at anytime now or in the future....big business just doesn't do that.

I'm surprised that their size range doesn't cater for ethnic Europeans, given:

a) Their parent company is British &

b ) The significant numbers looking for clothes & shoes that leave the store empty handed.

Edited by evadgib

Can I have the definition of the regular guy, so I can compare with myself that I buy shirts from Tesco?

As about recycling........have you heard before?..........it's a good thing to do.

I am not going to argue about the merits of recycling. I do it. But when I choose a piece of clothing, I prefer natural fibers and some confidence that it will last. I wouldn't have any faith that shirt made of plastic bottles will be comfortable or would last.
Each to their own taste, but I find the shirts too feminine for my liking. What else can I say?
And oh ya:
reg·u·lar guy
noun
informal
  1. 1.
    an ordinary, uncomplicated, sociable man.
But with a little ingenuity, you could have found that definition. To help you in the future, these types of expressions are often termed as "urban dictionary" entries. So use a web site called "Google" and try it out. It is fun and educational.

I'm surprised that their size range doesn't cater for ethnic Europeans, given:

a) Their parent company is British &

b ) The significant numbers looking for clothes & shoes that leave the store empty handed.

Its all about their targeted customer base, and obviously where the outlet is situated. Lotus in Pattaya will be catering more for falangs than Lotus in Nakon Sawan for instance.

What they would also take into consideration is the competition, are the visitors more interested in copies or the real deal, or targeting the upper market brand names?

Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 10:33, said:
Costas2008, on 11 Feb 2014 - 09:52, said:
Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 08:58, said:Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 08:58, said:

I am not going to argue about the merits of recycling. I do it. But when I choose a piece of clothing, I prefer natural fibers and some confidence that it will last. I wouldn't have any faith that shirt made of plastic bottles will be comfortable or would last.
Each to their own taste, but I find the shirts too feminine for my liking. What else can I say?
And oh ya:
reg·u·lar guy
noun
informal
  1. 1.
But with a little ingenuity, you could have found that definition. To help you in the future, these types of expressions are often termed as "urban dictionary" entries. So use a web site called "Google" and try it out. It is fun and educational.

Thank you for your advice about using google.......I will keep that in mind.

And oh ya:

As the definition of a "regular guy" is an ordinary, uncomplicated, sociable man, you shouldn't be worried about "They seem more for men with a strong feminine side"

In my mind this is called "Homophobia".......just another Greek word.

Cheers and have a good day.

• Like 1

Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 10:33, said:
Costas2008, on 11 Feb 2014 - 09:52, said:
Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 08:58, said:Brevity, on 11 Feb 2014 - 08:58, said:

And oh ya:
reg·u·lar guy
noun
informal
  1. 1.

Thank you for your advice about using google.......I will keep that in mind.

And oh ya:

As the definition of a "regular guy" is an ordinary, uncomplicated, sociable man, you shouldn't be worried about "They seem more for men with a strong feminine side"

In my mind this is called "Homophobia".......just another Greek word.

Cheers and have a good day.

LOL

I didn't want to pull a "costas2008", so I'll drop this here.

And oh ya:

reg·u·lar guy

noun

informal

I was given a shirt made from recycled bottles as a gift. Not a tesco one but same idea. It's fine, comfortable to wear. Colour's a bit dull mind.

The F&F stuff is okay for the price. The shirts are 100% cotton, and the trosers are mixed man made as are the more expensive brands. The briefs and socks are okay too, 100 % cotton. Previousl, F&F had a range of 'Anti Bacterial' vests and Tee shirts; kind of lycra material; excellent for keeping the tourso dry and fresh, but unfortunately Lotus no longer stock them.

Regular guy...... lol.

Tesco in Thailand needs an overhaul. I rather pay twice as much for a better shopping experience at Villa.

Its getting really old walking in to Tesco and there being ZERO beef for sale, but a ton of chicken and pork products to the point of them having to mark them down on a daily basis.

The other day i was at a Tops Supermarket and the meat produce section was a 2m long cabinet with nothing in it.

Another thing is lotus, villa and foodland have been selling high end olive oil when its near its shelf life or selling frozen meat that's almost one year old.

My advice is to check the dates placed by the manufacturer and not some stupid store label. (Yeah yeah its about clothing but whatever)w00t.gif

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm buying what Lotus is saying about they haven't raised their garment prices in 2 years. I rarely buy any garments from Lotus for myself, but my wife periodically buys some of her clothes at Lotus and the prices have went up according to what her and I have seen/paid.

Agreed....this is BS from Lotus that "they haven't raised their clothing prices....2 years etc etc".

They most definitely have. I am a regular buyer of the F+F business shirts due to my type of work.......they raised the prices of these shirts as well as dress trousers around 80 to 90 baht an item 4 months ago.

OK a small rise but a rise all the same.

In another post someone mentions TL selling past expiry food items, and poor quality produce (vegetables)....again I agree......the quality of their vegetables at my local Pin Klao TL superstore is absolute crap.

Add in the staff members who just love to thrash your eardrums at Level 100 with "speshil promoshuns" via the inhouse PA system while you wait in line at checkout...and all in all shopping at TL (my local anyway) has become bloody unpleasant....sadly we don't have much choice in Pin Klao within easy distance.