Need advice from vets here - how to drive a car with no sticker

wefinesse

Hi all, I am planning to purchase a car in Pattaya. The car has no insurance and sticker/fitness. I need to take the car to B'kok, if possible driving myself. is there a way in Thailand to do this legally. Like get a temporary transport plate like in Germany or transport sticker like in the US. Any meaningful/knowledgeable advice is much appreciated. Thanx in advance for same.

post-200563-0-81124700-1392129612_thumb.

I'd say that you have a chicken and egg scenario. A car of that age would certainly need to be inspected for road worthiness before an annual tax sticker would be issued by the Land Transport Department, but how do you get to the inspection station without a valid sticker?

I think you will be needing one of these.

post-18167-0-46531600-1392131874_thumb.j

Edited by bino

Go to an insurance company to buy the insurance. What do you mean by "sticker/fitness"?

Thanx for taking time to respond. Sticker/fitness means, when an automobile is tested for road-worthiness in

most parts of the world, a sticker is issued to the car/owner to display it on the vehicle conspicuously by affixing it on windshield/windscreen, so that the cops can ascertain the fact the vehicle is fit to operate on public roads. It is the norm - usually referred to as sticker / fitness cert. in English speaking countries. TuV in Germany, Shacken in Japan etc. etc.Perhaps by another term where you come from.

Thailand does not have a 'fitness' sticker (nor does the UK). In both countries you need a test certificate and compulsory insurance to get your annual road tax 'disc' (ok it's rectangular here).

Simple solution. Get a vehicle transporter.

If it's drivable it stands a reasonable chance of passing the somewhat cursory test, get it done in Pattaya, buy compulsory insurance, get a tax disc (when was it last taxed, you may end up paying the back-tax too) and drive to BKK.

I'd say that you have a chicken and egg scenario. A car of that age would certainly need to be inspected for road worthiness before an annual tax sticker would be issued by the Land Transport Department, but how do you get to the inspection station without a valid sticker?

I think you will be needing one of these.

attachicon.gifflatbed.JPG

Thanx for taking time to respond. The flatbed as shown is definitely a way to go, suitable to transport vehicles unlike a Lambo, Corvette etc. since these cars will hit/scrape the rear-end trying to get on the flatbed shown.

​There is provision/mechanism in all the countries I know, like USA, Canada, NZ, Germany, Sweden, Japan Singapore etc. etc. to transport a vehicle when purchased by a new owner, whether a vehicle has a fitness cert/insurance or not. In USA, one goes to a DMV and obtain a piece of paper from them to drive a car from point A to B marked on this paper and affix it on the W/S so the cops can see it. The fee paid to the DMV covers insurance. In Germany one buys insurance for a week or month and then go to the Land Transport(English Term) and get a temporary plate to use for the time of validity of insurance. etc. etc.

Accordingly, I was hoping that somebody in the forum will be knowledgeable of the provision in Thailand to do the same, if such a mechanism is in place. I can't imagine that Thailand is so far behind in time with regard to these procedures. Hope somebody will come up with the relevant procedure.

Thailand does not have a 'fitness' sticker (nor does the UK). In both countries you need a test certificate and compulsory insurance to get your annual road tax 'disc' (ok it's rectangular here).

Simple solution. Get a vehicle transporter.

If it's drivable it stands a reasonable chance of passing the somewhat cursory test, get it done in Pattaya, buy compulsory insurance, get a tax disc (when was it last taxed, you may end up paying the back-tax too) and drive to BKK.

Thanx for taking the time to post your advice. Believe in - there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Waiting for more opinions/answers/advice/suggestions/facts - keep them coming guys.

See no number plates in OP picture has it ever been registered ? if so has it been taxed in last 3 years? may have been deleated off computer system may make taxing tricky.

Hi Thanx for your time for chiming in. Yes it has been registered in Thailand once. Not sure abt taxed in last 3 yr. part. I will find out and post. So will it be deleted from the computer system, if not been tax paid for over 3 yrs??? Pls. educate if you may know the book.

Does the car have a blue book ?

If yes get the insurance (compulsory) sorted then drive to the Land Transport Dept out on the 36 near Regents, they will tell you if an inspection is needed and if it is the inspection station is just opposite them.

The test is easy.

Go back to LTD once test cert issued then sort out any back taxes owed and pay for new tax disc.

Are you also looking to change blue book into your name ?

Edited by Spoonman

If it has a blue book and it's within the 3 years I think all you need to do is go to the local police station with the owner and get a temporary permit. That's good for 15 days.

The missus has done that with 2 scooters. One was 2 months out and the other was 6 months out.

You need the book and the owners ID card at the police station.

See no number plates in OP picture has it ever been registered ? if so has it been taxed in last 3 years? may have been deleated off computer system may make taxing tricky.

Hi Thanx for your time for chiming in. Yes it has been registered in Thailand once. Not sure abt taxed in last 3 yr. part. I will find out and post. So will it be deleted from the computer system, if not been tax paid for over 3 yrs??? Pls. educate if you may know the book.

What's the price for car as is. If your not interested give me a number if it's a good buy.

Does the car have a blue book ?

If yes get the insurance (compulsory) sorted then drive to the Land Transport Dept out on the 36 near Regents, they will tell you if an inspection is needed and if it is the inspection station is just opposite them.

The test is easy.

Go back to LTD once test cert issued then sort out any back taxes owed and pay for new tax disc.

Are you also looking to change blue book into your name ?

Thanx for taking time to respond and pertinent info therein.

I am not yet decided abt the blue book name change. It depend on the condition of the car.

Or just take it to one of the inspection places. Look for this sign.

Gotta ask why isn't the current owner sorting this out?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanx for taking time to respond.

I do not want to bother the gentleman who readily part with a very desirable automobile for one and secondly I myself want to be familiar with the due process in Thailand.

If it has a blue book and it's within the 3 years I think all you need to do is go to the local police station with the owner and get a temporary permit. That's good for 15 days.

The missus has done that with 2 scooters. One was 2 months out and the other was 6 months out.

Thank you soooooooo very much for taking time to respond and very relevant content.

Now we are talking - so far, nobody seemed to know what you advise here - brilliant.

I will pursue this avenue. 15 days will be what I need to sort out things.

Thank you again and again BSJ.

Thank you soooooooo very much for taking time to respond and very relevant content.

Now we are talking - so far, nobody seemed to know what you advise here - brilliant.

Do let us know if you succeed, could be useful for others in similar position.

Do let us know if you succeed, could be useful for others in similar position.

Will do. Definitely. Thankfully to all meaningful/relevant posters.

interesting car with probably an equally interesting history, I noted that this model goes for up to $50k US [ 1.5 mill baht } in the states.

Can't wait to see/go thru the car real time. Specially, since, I already have a parts car with all original straight-8 263 Engine, matching Dynaflow trany etc. etc.. Below is the only pic, I could find in a hurry. More than the price, this is a piece of history with hydraulically operated door glasses, under-seat heaters, power-top and other engineering marvels in the early 50s.

post-200563-0-42746900-1392349623_thumb.