Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

webfact

Why does Suthep feel the need to tell the banks that no one is opposed to the banks granting loans to the administration? Why would the banks care what Suthep has to say now? It's because they don't care and don't need now Suthep's blessings to conduct business with the government that will obviously continue on past March 2014. Until the Feb 2nd election the banks had doubts of who the admininstration would be. Suthep's meaningless announcement is a desparate attempt to show he is still in charge of opposing the government and a person to be reckoned with now. And should the goevrnment get the bank loans to pay the farmers, Suthep will try to spin the events with him saving the farmers by "allowing" the government to pay them.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very sensible man, that cares about the well being of his countrymen.

Very sensible to try to grab credit for the banks making loans to the government you mean. Once it's a done deal between the government and the banks after the PTP is on ots way to win re-election Suthep had to do something to give creditability to his revolution.

Ahh, like Mandela in his youth. Suthep is misunderstood by the gullible.

Mandela's opponents would be bowing there heads in shame now after misunderstanding him all those years ago.

Years from now when ALL principles of democracy are restored it would not surprise me if there was a bronze statue of Suthep in Chaing Mai with the words inscribed under it "Thailand has today, because you gave it to us"

to compare a corrupt gangster like Suthep to Mandela - is an insult to the late Nelson Mandela who received a life sentence and suffered in prison for 27 years for what he believed in.

Suthep is nothing but an opportunist who's sudden passion for reforms came after they lost the elections - not a word about "Reforms" while the Democrats were in power.

He sees no chance to get back into power by way of elections in his lifetime so he tries it the undemocratic way - with empty promises - his and his retired army generals backers understanding of reforms is very likely to "reform" in a way to wipe out any opposition like all other fascists before them have tried.

The man can be credited to have brought down the last elected "Democrat" government of Thailand with his corrupt dealings - but that's about it!

Yes Mandela was in jail for 27 years. Put in by the government.

When Mandela had 193 terrorist charges against his name there too were ardent enemies that demonized him as well. I bet they feel foolish now after seeing how Mandela turned out. To think Mandela was called a terrorist.

In 30 years when Suthep is released from jail after being put in there by the government we will no doubt hear the words "To think Suthep was called a terrorist" as people walk idle by his Bronze statue in Chaing Mai with the words inscribed on the plaque at his feet "Thailand has today, because you gave it to us"

Thanks for furthering my comparisons thus strengthening my argument.

I feel it pertenant to add in the 1930's the Nazi party had a very strong ardent following of supporters as well. Look at how history has judges them 70 years later. And no CNXforever that judge cannot be kidnapped!

Edited by djjamie

Mandela's opponents would be bowing there heads in shame now after misunderstanding him all those years ago.

Years from now when ALL principles of democracy are restored it would not surprise me if there was a bronze statue of Suthep in Chaing Mai with the words inscribed under it "Thailand has today, because you gave it to us"

to compare a corrupt gangster like Suthep to Mandela - is an insult to the late Nelson Mandela who received a life sentence and suffered in prison for 27 years for what he believed in.

Suthep is nothing but an opportunist who's sudden passion for reforms came after they lost the elections - not a word about "Reforms" while the Democrats were in power.

He sees no chance to get back into power by way of elections in his lifetime so he tries it the undemocratic way - with empty promises - his and his retired army generals backers understanding of reforms is very likely to "reform" in a way to wipe out any opposition like all other fascists before them have tried.

The man can be credited to have brought down the last elected "Democrat" government of Thailand with his corrupt dealings - but that's about it!

It amazes me how many people forget or decide to ignore that Mandela was a stone cold killer before he went to prison. He reformed and came out a better man. But lets not forget ai

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would not say a stone cold killer - in his early years rather a product of a "stone cold killer apartheid government" which was treating a black majority as second class citizens - involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.

Killings of black people where "overlooked" by police, intimidation, disappearances where rampant - so where suspicious deaths - or better organized executions of black opposition members in prison.

Governments like this have always inadvertently produced militant opposition wings themselves - they love to call them "terrorists" - those "terrorists" dwarf in comparison to the terror that the government unleashed against his own people.

I would not call Mandela a stone cold killer - rather a product of an inhuman, racist, fascist, murderous regime with total disregard for - colored peoples - human lives.

Which young person from a target group - targeted only for the color of their skin - witnessing government sponsored terror perpetrated against their own citizens would not be willing to take up arms against it's oppressors if given the opportunity?

I am sure Suthep, (or as I like to affectionately call him) the Mandela of the East, will agree with you regarding Mandela's history.

Well said and thanks.

A very sensible man, that cares about the well being of his countrymen.

Very sensible to try to grab credit for the banks making loans to the government you mean. Once it's a done deal between the government and the banks after the PTP is on ots way to win re-election Suthep had to do something to give creditability to his revolution.

Ahh bless, he still thinks the Yingluck administration is still going to be around and functioning come Q2. :D

Sorry to shatter your bubble, shes either gunna be in Dubai or in Jail... along with 300 or so other PTP MP's. I know this government is operated out of Dubai, but that's gunna come to a crashing end real soon :)

• Like 1

Unlike what certain red shirts think, Kamnan Suthep is not stupid.

When the farmers are starving, because the gov't can't live up to it's promisses, then Suthep and the Bangkok people can't just do, as if they are not concerned. Of course they will be all for the Caretakers to pay out, what they owe.

Problem is squarely on the Caretakers: They have to find money, not Suthep. They have to deal with banks and the banks see it as way too risky to lend the Caretakers any money. Actually Caretaker is a wrong expression, because they definitely DO NOT take care of the people, who put them into this position...

Suthep has already done more than what can be expected from him: He helped collect money from the Bangkok people, latest figure I saw was 25 million Baht.

Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat.

Send from my Mobile

Please reread the article and let us know where and who has threatened the banks. I'm guessing that you are making this up, along with trying to imply that Suthep is a terrorist. Maybe the original thai is different.

Read carefully my response to this news report - I rephrase : A face saving move on the terrorist threat he made to banks and that the banks do not submit to such threat. Threat to shut down banks is a terrorist threat.

Terrorist ? I thought you were talking about Suteb ? All the terrorists from 2010 were made MP's, they are the only terrorists I know. Suteb is an ex MP turned protestor. He hasn't shot anyone, he hasn't burned down any buildings, in fact he has tried very hard to advocate peaceful means among his followers, unlike the terrorist leader / MP's from 2010 'Kill the aristocrats' and 'Turn Bangkok into a sea of fire'. How anybody with more than 2 braincells can support the bunch of red terrorists beggars the mind, it really does - unless you know something we don't....

Edited by tingtongteesood
  • Like 1

Has it ever occurred to you red sheeple that while The Dems were in power, maybe they were actually doing the job and abuses of power were not really noticed as there weren't any ( many ) ?

With Taksin, Yinglack and cronies doing everything they possibly can to rape the country, there has been a multitude of abuses of power, and now problems become apparent and now reform is necessary to make sure nobody will be allowed to commit the same crimes again.

'Nuff said.

ha ha .... this will shoot down that baseless claim that Suthep and the protesters are trying to block payment to the farmers.

Of course the banks won't do it .... they aren't stupid.

Meanwhile back in the real world.

we all saw the marches on the banks and the threats.

Just more proof of this mans instability. He has done a massive flip!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Even most Thai visa members would have to call Troll on you for that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

In the real world. One would realise that it doesn't matter what Suthep or the government say's! It is up to the individual banks to access the risk of lending to a caretaker government in as much trouble as this one is.

Or would you prefer to see a run on the banks because people would start withdrawing funds from any bank that lent to them?

Just curious why the term "BANKRUPT" isn't used to describe the current government's situation?

I will be right at the front of the line to withdraw every baht if my bank makes a loan to the government.

Ummmm. Because they aren't.....

Seems suspiciously like Suthep has an underlying agenda.

Of course he does, He's a Thai politician! rolleyes.gif

If the PTP caretaker administration does succeed in borrowing the money to pay the farmers, Suthep will now be able to claim credit for saving the farmers. However that is a minor agenda. I am sure that any loans which the PTP succeed in getting will at best be morally legal. I am sure that Suthep is hoping the loans will be granted, and he or the Democrats will immediately petition the Consitution Court and the NACC to rule the actions illegal/corrupt and have the PTP supended, banned and jailed. That will create the political vacuum much earlier than the April 1 date necessitated by the constitution.

Seems suspiciously like Suthep has an underlying agenda.

Of course he does, He's a Thai politician! rolleyes.gif

If the PTP caretaker administration does succeed in borrowing the money to pay the farmers, Suthep will now be able to claim credit for saving the farmers. However that is a minor agenda. I am sure that any loans which the PTP succeed in getting will at best be morally legal. I am sure that Suthep is hoping the loans will be granted, and he or the Democrats will immediately petition the Consitution Court and the NACC to rule the actions illegal/corrupt and have the PTP supended, banned and jailed. That will create the political vacuum much earlier than the April 1 date necessitated by the constitution.

or perhaps he just wants the farmers to get paid what they are due...

... its gunna happen eventually, either by the caretaker government or the next fully fledged government that takes power... They are gunna be paid one way or the other

Has it ever occurred to you red sheeple that while The Dems were in power, maybe they were actually doing the job and abuses of power were not really noticed as there weren't any ( many ) ?

With Taksin, Yinglack and cronies doing everything they possibly can to rape the country, there has been a multitude of abuses of power, and now problems become apparent and now reform is necessary to make sure nobody will be allowed to commit the same crimes again.

'Nuff said.

sorry the numbers speak against you.

During the last Democrat led government billions went into secret military accounts for their military friends to pay of the officers involved on the heist on the countries tax money - they called the heist a "Coup".

Billions where used for questionable populist "Handouts".

Here is some plain facts wonder who the real "rapists" are here?

Despite not being elected by the people Abhisit promised a "peoples agenda" with education as the main focus.

He used the campaign slogan "Putting People First." He also vowed not to privatize basic utilities such as water and electricity, and to nationalize state enterprises that Thaksin had privatized.

Regarding core elements of the so-called "Thaksinomics", Abhisit promised "the benefits from certain populist policies, such as the 30-Baht healthcare scheme, the Village Fund and the SMLE (Small Medium Large Enterprise) scheme, will not be revoked but instead improved." He later urged that Thaksin's popular 30-Baht health care scheme should be replaced with a system where access to medical services was totally free.

Actually nothing much was accomplished because he and his military masters had no time for anything else but their obsession with getting even with Thaksin - personal vendettas paid for by tax money.

Freedom of the press was curtailed and censorship of the internet became worse. Large-scale fighting erupted several times between Thai and Cambodian troops stirred by extreme right wing fascist elements close to the Democrats. Nepotism was rife with appointments and contracts going to their cronies in the PAD and their financial backers to recoup their money "invested".

Abhisit's government saw unemployment increase by 63 percent.Thailand's government budget went into deficit for the first time since 2003. By 2010 the government's debt had bloomed and reached -4.8% of GDP, the largest budget deficit since the government of Chuan Leekpai - which Suthep brought down himself with his corrupt dealings in Phuket.

To "help" the people (with an eye on the coming elections) the Democrats subsidized the price of diesel, LPG cooking gas, and household electricity. Public bus and train rides were provided for free.

All cheap copies of the so frowned upon "populist" policies of the Thaksin years - still the Democrats could not win elections.

Not defending PT here - yes they are corrupt to the core - but so are all the other players!

If it was not Suthep standing on stage with his military puppet masters in the background pulling the strings - shouting for vague reforms and stupid rhetoric - but some new faces with new ideas not connected to the old guard - with a clear, detailed outlined agenda for reforms to whichever party they belong to - I am sure a majority of Thais would whole hardheartedly support a reform movement - but not these opportunists who have no idea how to win elections and to run the country - they are only here to protect the elite from loosing their grip on the country and fill their deep pockets!

• Like 2

How sweet he is. Anything to help the farmers. We call people like him two faces liars.

Then the PTP must be four face liars. Suthep blocked the government loan because it was the right thing to do. You can not take money from people to pay for the criminal activities by this administration. Just sell the rice and get the money that way to the farmers. He is not lying. For many that the PDRC can stop the bank from lending money, especially commercial, is ridiculous. It's simply a bad loan and bad decision. Where would you get the collateral from, the rice? There is huge risk in believing this government is legitimate. When YS and all the other MP goes to trial, if found guilty, they will all be impeached retroactively. And all that was done and promise would not have to a leg to stand on. We all know that the law enforcement arm are bogged down by corrupt policemen. But only time will tell. Everyone knows that the Rice scheme is a sham. The longer YS waits, the more people she will piss off.

'Nuff said.

During the last Democrat led government billions went into secret military accounts for their military friends to pay of the officers involved on the heist on the countries tax money - they called the heist a "Coup".

Despite not being elected by the people Abhisit promised a "peoples agenda" with education as the main focus.

He used the campaign slogan "Putting People First." He also vowed not to privatize basic utilities such as water and electricity, and to nationalize state enterprises that Thaksin had privatized.

Regarding core elements of the so-called "Thaksinomics", Abhisit promised "the benefits from certain populist policies, such as the 30-Baht healthcare scheme, the Village Fund and the SMLE (Small Medium Large Enterprise) scheme, will not be revoked but instead improved." He later urged that Thaksin's popular 30-Baht health care scheme should be replaced with a system where access to medical services was totally free.

Actually nothing much was accomplished because he and his military masters had no time for anything else but their obsession with getting even with Thaksin - personal vendettas paid for by tax money.

Freedom of the press was curtailed and censorship of the internet became worse. Large-scale fighting erupted several times between Thai and Cambodian troops stirred by extreme right wing fascist elements close to the Democrats. Nepotism was rife with appointments and contracts going to their cronies in the PAD and their financial backers to recoup their money "invested".

Abhisit's government saw unemployment increase by 63 percent.Thailand's government budget went into deficit for the first time since 2003. By 2010 the government's debt had bloomed and reached -4.8% of GDP, the largest budget deficit since the government of Chuan Leekpai - which Suthep brought down himself with his corrupt dealings in Phuket.

To "help" the people (with an eye on the coming elections) the Democrats subsidized the price of diesel, LPG cooking gas, and household electricity. Public bus and train rides were provided for free.

All cheap copies of the so frowned upon "populist" policies of the Thaksin years - still the Democrats could not win elections.

Not defending PT here - yes they are corrupt to the core - but so are all the other players!

If it was not Suthep standing on stage with his military puppet masters in the background pulling the strings - shouting for vague reforms and stupid rhetoric - but some new faces with new ideas not connected to the old guard - with a clear, detailed outlined agenda for reforms to whichever party they belong to - I am sure a majority of Thais would whole hardheartedly support a reform movement - but not these opportunists who have no idea how to win elections and to run the country - they are only here to protect the elite from loosing their grip on the country and fill their deep pockets!

Great post. One of the best I have read in months.

The common people are suffering because of their greed.

• Like 1

Feb 7, Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

Feb 12 Suthep Thaugsuban, chief of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, Wednesday urged commercial banks to approve loans for the government as soon as possible so that the administration can pay its debt to farmers.

Im not going to say its not a good thing to support allowing the farmers to be paid, its great but....... WHAT a stupid stupid thing to say and do in the first place and now 5 days later looking a complete failure and hypocrite .....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

ahh well, it all adds to his insincere image and ruins his credibility which is nice.

Watch for the spin from either suthep the dems or both in future on loans being called illegal for a caretaker gov etc etc after the fact, that will be next

• Like 1

Feb 7, Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

Feb 12 Suthep Thaugsuban, chief of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, Wednesday urged commercial banks to approve loans for the government as soon as possible so that the administration can pay its debt to farmers.

Im not going to say its not a good thing to support allowing the farmers to be paid, its great but....... WHAT a stupid stupid thing to say and do in the first place and now 5 days later looking a complete failure and hypocrite .....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

ahh well, it all adds to his insincere image and ruins his credibility which is nice.

Watch for the spin from either suthep the dems or both in future on loans being called illegal for a caretaker gov etc etc after the fact, that will be next

Look at my post #104. The farmers are accusing that Suthep is the reason that the banks don't want to lend money to the government.

He will now proof that without his objection, the banks are still not interested to give money to this government.

Edited by JesseFrank

Are these the facts or is there something I am missing ?

1. The Election Commission did not agreed to allow the caretaker government to borrow the rice money and indebt the next incoming elected government. I understand that this is Thai law.

2. The rice loan negotiation is really only between the E/C and the government. If the E/C agrees to let the government borrow the money, the banks would happily lend the money, but the opposition would definitely sue the E/C for a law violation.

3. The media made a statement that the document presented to the banks when the government tried obtain the loan (on their own), were not signed by the correct party that had the legal authority to enter into the transaction.

Considering the issues, why was it wrong for a protest group to alert the banks that there may be a bigger legal issue that needs to be resolved, before they proceed.

There seem to be a lot of heated arguments on both sides that don't make sense. If they really want to help the farmers, just sell the the rice at market value and pay the farmers.

Hiding the losses and dreaming that the price will go up, while the farmers are starving is ........

ha ha .... this will shoot down that baseless claim that Suthep and the protesters are trying to block payment to the farmers.

Of course the banks won't do it .... they aren't stupid.

Meanwhile back in the real world.

we all saw the marches on the banks and the threats.

Just more proof of this mans instability. He has done a massive flip!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Even most Thai visa members would have to call Troll on you for that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

OK I surrender ... the claim is not baseless wai2.gif He flipped.

Suthep flipped? NO!! He is Thai. It goes with the territory.

'Nuff said.

During the last Democrat

- Long Snip -

If you are just going to cut n' paste Wikipedia, you should at least annotate it properly with a link and acknowledge it as the source, instead of trying to deceptively pass it off as your own words.

Edited by Davidhere

casualbiker made extensive quotes:

Folks, if you quote anybody like this, who is going to read it?

There is always the old copy & paste thing, where you can compose your reply outside ThaiVisa and put together that text that you want to refer to. Then enter your reply. Then copy over the next text quote, then your reply, etc. And finally copy & paste that whole reply into the Thai Visa reply form.

It makes for easier reading AND your point is more likely to be noted.

The above example (among several others)... I didn't bother to even start reading it,- too much hassle...

No critique, just a proposal to improve.

casualbiker made extensive quotes:

Folks, if you quote anybody like this, who is going to read it?

There is always the old copy & paste thing, where you can compose your reply outside ThaiVisa and put together that text that you want to refer to. Then enter your reply. Then copy over the next text quote, then your reply, etc. And finally copy & paste that whole reply into the Thai Visa reply form.

It makes for easier reading AND your point is more likely to be noted.

The above example (among several others)... I didn't bother to even start reading it,- too much hassle...

No critique, just a proposal to improve.

Android app and its late is my defense :D

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

'Nuff said.

Proof please or stop spreading malicious lies.

For example ?

And, so what ? Maybe he got distracted by the red riots and he was out before he had a chance to finish these.

What vendettas ? Examples please.

Freedom of the press was curtailed and censorship of the internet became worse. Large-scale fighting erupted several times between Thai and Cambodian troops stirred by extreme right wing fascist elements close to the Democrats.

News to me...

Nepotism was rife with appointments and contracts going to their cronies in the PAD and their financial backers to recoup their money "invested".

Who ?

Since unemployment here is officially around 1%, a 63% increase on 1% is around 1.63 % - big deal. As for deficit and corrupt dealings, proof of either ? And seems to be nothing compared to the hole PT have made in the country's finances in just 2.5 years.

And none of that bankrupted the country. As compared to PT's raft of stupid populist idiocy. And these policies helped EVERYONE, not just the farmers.

PT are corrupt to the core, only thing you said that makes any sense so far...

Suteb has outlined a number of reforms, guess they passed you by. As for the rest, yet another red myth being spread about by sheeple....

I remain toootally unconvinced by your specious arguments with no evidence.

• Like 1

One of the hilarious things about this whole 3 month episode in Thai democracy is that a clapped out, corrupt old bugger from the south has neutered a supposedly strongly supported party from the much larger north.

Thaksin must have spent the last 100 days wondering where all his friends got to

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your kidding right. ?

This guy is the last deputy PM 30 year career and the most politically powerful man in the south of Thailand.

The funding behind this is massive as are some of those with influence and some of social standing supporting things could not be higher.

Hardly clapped out, end of a long political career maybe but they go on until dead here look at old Prem and the weight he carrys. Suthep has had nothing to lose and why hes been happy to take his guaranteed compensation pension whatever happens no doubt.

if he loses he wins personally anyway if he wins he wins personally even more.. no brainier really

Edited by englishoak