Abhisit tells court emergency decree was unnecessary

webfact

Keeping people from voting is terrorism, not protesting. Destroying Thai economy is terrorism, not protesting. Shutting down Government offices is terrorism, not protesting. Demanding a popularly elected official step down, by a minority faction is terrorism, not protesting.

Voting is Democracy and protest, not terrorism. Voting is more powerful than a speeding bullet and recognized the world over.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Voting in itself is not necessarily democracy. Democracy goes much much deeper than that. I don't want to waste my time giving you a lesson in politics but democracy is about the rule of law without which there is no democracy.

The current administration is not democratic - it is autocratic. That's why the protesters want to put an end to this 'sham' democracy and that's why they tried to stop the voting when the whole thing was being directed by an autocrat from Dubai. You know people like Hun Sen and Saddam and Mugabe had elections. But were they democratic? Far from it. Thaksin's model is the Hun Sen/Saddam/Mugabe/Pinochet model of Democracy: Not the British/Swiss/German/French/etc etc etc. So please think more deeply about this issue before posting nonsense.

The foundation stone of a democracy is a free and fair electoral process. Such a process essentially exists in Thailand. Where the current election may bear comparison for example with Mugabe's Zimbabwe is in the use of paid and often armed thugs, along with crowds from one party, disrupting the election through blocking the process and intimidation. It may bear further comparison with Saddam's Iraq and Pinochet's Chille if one considers the acts of the government agency charged with conducting the election, in hindering it as best they can. Also one may have to consider the actions and motives of some courts in possibly overthrowing the results.

If these factors succeed in destroying this election, so that the vote is never completed, or the results declared, then democracy will have been removed. No amount of "checks and balances" will restore it.

If however this election does proceed, and eventually produce an elected government then democracy can be said to exist. The fact that you do not like the government which emerges does not change that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG

oh so taking over government buildings is ok? I think any civilized and developed nation would consider this an 'emergency' and undertake action. If anything this government have been too weak in not arresting the attempted coup leaders

It's not an emergency, do you understand? I was locked out of my office for two weeks. It's an inconvenience, it's disruptive but it's not an emergency. Nobody got hurt, nobody was threatened, there were no goons with guns (although there were a few bullet proof vests evidence when they shut us down for an additional day last week).

As it so happens, one of my government workplaces in Australia was occupied by protesters on one occasion. The police turned up, asked them nicely to go away and after a quite long and sufficiently boring period, they did. Nobody got arrested, nobody got shot or gassed. But afterwards the department installed a centralised lockdown mechanism that could seal every entrance within seven seconds.

Civilised countries do not use gestapo tactics on peaceful protesters. The fact that YOU don't like their political views is completely irrelevant. If it was a redshirt protest you'd be cheering them on, hypocrite. I might add that if you personally have never participated in a protest of some kind, you can't be a very socially minded specimen.

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 2

LOL, is this Abhisit character still in politics ? He should have left months ago. No one respects him, no one votes for him. He has been made a fool of repeatedly and consistently throughout his career.

Isn't this the same guy that under his emergency decree, 90 people were murdered? and now he is up against murder charges .

Whats unnecessary is Abhisits continued involvement in politics.

Thank you for your enlightened and intelligent post mooncreature. Now tell me, how many people were murdered under Thaksin's watch. How many cases of political assassination has Amnesty International identified with Thaksin as the culprit. We all know that 90 people murdered by Abhisit is an absolute travesty of the truth but never mind, you can repeat the propaganda and lies ad nauseum if you wish. But please answer the questions about Thaksin with an open heart and honesty.

Voting is the fundamental foundation of Democratic representation in government. To deny another citizen to vote is treason and terrorism.

Majority rule, not mob rule. Anything else is simply not Democracy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1