How much is enough for the wife's monthly allowance?

zierf1

To put things in perspective, you should know that the monthly average income per person in Thailand amounts just a little bit over 12000 bahts (12163.15 THB in the fourth quarter of 2013 - source: National Statistical Office of Thailand: http://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistics/Standard/SDDS/Pages/sdds.aspx).

A significant number of Thai people, especially in the agricultural sector (farming, fishing, etc.), have a monthly income much lower than this, as low as (and sometimes lower than) 6000 THB monthly (their income is not always a salary, and they don't get paid the official minimal daily wage on an everyday basis).

15k/month? Its depending of the individual situation and life-style, same-same bargirl or not! thumbsup.gif

For example, living in a rural Isaan village in the family home with no child?

Presume around 5,000/month will do

Living in rural Isaan village in the family home with a child?

More likely 8,000 to 10,000/month add some 4,000/month per child

Living alone away from family home in a rented place, study or no work?

Depending of rent and costs 15,000-20,000/month seems fair

Working and living away from home in a rented place?

Some benefits for extras 5,000/moth, more if child/children/support family

Contributing to family at home?

Depending of how much, but 3,000 to 5,000/month may be fair to add

When living a higher life-style, then at least double the amounts.

Many ifs, if dont know details.

Presume making a budget may help finding the right amount.

Before I could settle here I wanted my GF to learn/study (more) English and computor (Word, Excell etc.), and of course I needed to provide for that. We made a budget together or rather I did and she commented if she could live on it.

Posts to concern about can for example be:

Rent for home/room/bungalow etc. (fx 8,000/month)

Tuition fees; study iso working (fx. 7,000/month)

Daily allowance for food etc. (fx. 200/day = 6,000/month)

Extras like telephone card, clothes, and time out with friends etc. (fx. 2,000/month)

Transportation, motorbike rent + gasoline, public transport (fx. 3,000/month)

Child/children to support (fx. 4,000/month each child)

Family to support (fx. 3,000/month)

Together the posts can easily sum up to 30,000+/month

Only yourself or yourself and your GF together can judge if 15k seem fair.

I have two friends sending money to GF in village. The one sends 5k/month (two grown-up kids) smile.png ; the other sends 40k/month (1 child about 7yo) plus all the extras coming up all the time, like money for a new motorbike, money for a new house for mum, money a new car for her, money for two baht more gold presume next will be regular school fees for EP or International for a couple of kids w00t.gif

you know when you drive down the highway and pass a really bad crash/accident and think... thank god it didn't happen to us.

well that is exactly how i feel when i read posts like this one...

the funny thing is, these losers choose this way of life lol

OMG! Have you seen how much things cost in Thailand? The rent, the food, the beauty products, the night out with a friend, the transportation, the family needs, etc. 15,000 baht wont cut it, she needs at least 45,000baht to get by per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Now now be sensible - if this man is living overseas and sending his wife money to maintain a lifestyle - a VERY decent BKK 1 bdrm apartment can easily cost 8,000.oo baht per month and then double that for expenses and you have only 24,000.oo. I don’t belive there is need for 30,000.oo+ per month

That should keep her in a Thai lifestyle that is commensurate with being married to a farang.

I also agree with the mainstay requirement that ALL farang wives should be working and earning money to send home or pay for incidentals.

No longer should we be viewed as patsies opening our wallets to the wives to sit at home jobless and spend without regard.

She paid her rent and food and utilities and sent money home to her parents before you met her.

Now that she has a farang partner - you pay the rent and utilities and she has her entire paycheck to send home if she likes - but I bet she won't. If all farangs get this methodology into their heads and quit allowing their partners and their families and extended families to exploit them this would be a better place for all farangs - some balance would be restored.

All the double standards that exist with the division between farangs and Thais we should do everything within our powers to close that gap permanently

• Like 2

The minimum wage in Thailand is 300 baht a day... 300x30 is 9000 baht per month. A lot of Thai's with families are earning only that so if you are sending her 15000 a month to sit on her backside she is doing very well thanks very much.. TELL HER TO GET A JOB....

Well, I guess being a wife is her job. So I pay her. Seriously, how is any man going to get & keep a woman if he doesn't have any money?? I've tried to spot some homeless guys with women but no luck yet..

You could ask your dad if he had to pay your mom to stay with him .

Hahaha....good one. Was your dad a farang and your mom a Thai?

You seem to be missing the main issue...which is, Thai ladies expect the farang to take better care of them. They want the farang, because of the low wages at their job and expect a bit more out of them than they would a Thai man. That is what its all about.

huh?

15k/month? It’s depending of the individual situation and life-style, same-same bargirl or not…! thumbsup.gif
For example, living in a rural Isaan village in the family home with no child?
Presume around 5,000/month will do…
Living in rural Isaan village in the family home with a child?
More likely 8,000 to 10,000/month – add some 4,000/month per child…
Living alone away from family home in a rented place, study or no work?
Depending of rent and costs 15,000-20,000/month seems fair…
Working and living away from home in a rented place?
Some benefits for extras 5,000/moth, more if child/children/support family…
Contributing to family at home?
Depending of how much, but 3,000 to 5,000/month may be fair to add…
When living a higher life-style, then at least double the amounts.
Many “ifs”, if don’t know details.
Presume making a budget may help finding the right amount.
Before I could settle here I wanted my GF to learn/study (more) English and computor (Word, Excell etc.), and of course I needed to provide for that. We made a budget together – or rather I did and she commented if she could live on it.
Posts to concern about can for example be:
Rent for home/room/bungalow etc. (fx 8,000/month)
Tuition fees; study iso working (fx. 7,000/month)
Daily allowance for food etc. (fx. 200/day = 6,000/month)
Extras like telephone card, clothes, and time out with friends etc. (fx. 2,000/month)
Transportation, motorbike rent + gasoline, public transport (fx. 3,000/month)
Child/children to support (fx. 4,000/month each child)
Family to support (fx. 3,000/month)
Together the posts can easily sum up to 30,000+/month…
Only yourself – or yourself and your GF together – can judge if 15k seem fair.
I have two friends sending money to GF in village. The one sends 5k/month (two grown-up kids) smile.png ; the other sends 40k/month (1 child about 7yo) plus all the extras coming up all the time, like money for a new motorbike, money for a new house for mum, money a new car for her, money for two baht more gold – presume next will be regular school fees for EP or International for a couple of kids… w00t.gif

Would any farang want to live on 10,000 baht a month....with kids? This is ridiculous. That is just rent and utilities.

The minimum wage in Thailand is 300 baht a day... 300x30 is 9000 baht per month. A lot of Thai's with families are earning only that so if you are sending her 15000 a month to sit on her backside she is doing very well thanks very much.. TELL HER TO GET A JOB....

Well, I guess being a wife is her job. So I pay her. Seriously, how is any man going to get & keep a woman if he doesn't have any money?? I've tried to spot some homeless guys with women but no luck yet..

You could ask your dad if he had to pay your mom to stay with him .

Hahaha....good one. Was your dad a farang and your mom a Thai?

You seem to be missing the main issue...which is, Thai ladies expect the farang to take better care of them. They want the farang, because of the low wages at their job and expect a bit more out of them than they would a Thai man. That is what its all about.

huh?

I wasn't aware of that . Guess I'm unlucky I wasn't born as a Thai then.

To put things in perspective, you should know that the monthly average income per person in Thailand amounts just a little bit over 12000 bahts (12163.15 THB in the fourth quarter of 2013 - source: National Statistical Office of Thailand: http://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistics/Standard/SDDS/Pages/sdds.aspx).

A significant number of Thai people, especially in the agricultural sector (farming, fishing, etc.), have a monthly income much lower than this, as low as (and sometimes lower than) 6000 THB monthly (their income is not always a salary, and they don't get paid the official minimal daily wage on an everyday basis).

so what?

look at the cost of living in these area's...

there are plenty of people in the west who work minimum wage jobs which barely cover the cost of the monthly living expenses!

and alot of these people you refer to get given free land for agriculture, also pay no tax, many grow their own vegetables and have their own chickens.

and before bleeding heart types come along with the "try supporting a family on 6,000 baht a month" remarks

these poor people you are referring to were poor before they decided to have children, if they knew they were poor and would not be able to financially provide a good education and better way of life for their children, why have them?

sorry if it seems harsh, but in the west people often complain about people who can not afford to support themselves let alone children, deciding to have kids anyway and then try and get support from the state.

me and my wife both have our own jobs and work very hard, we talked about having children years ago, but decided not to for various reasons, but one of those reasons was financial reasons back then.

but these people who are earning below the minimum wage (according to you) decided to have children of their own free will, knowing they cant really afford to or provide a better future.

I personally would never dream of having a child (even if i wanted one) if i did not have the financial means to provide a solid education and good future for them.

For those who say "there is no pension here, so they have kids so they will take care of them in old age"

this train of thought is selfish and stupid.

just think if all these poor people didn't have kids but saved up the money each month that it would cost to feed, cloth and educated the children if they had them.... there is their pension right there!

for anyone who does not have enough money to raise and financially support a child or provide the child with a good education, to then expect that child to grow up to be anything but a rice farmer or equivalent is just stupid.

just go and look in all the seedy farang orientated bars here, where do you think all those girls come from?

• Like 2

OMG! Have you seen how much things cost in Thailand? The rent, the food, the beauty products, the night out with a friend, the transportation, the family needs, etc. 15,000 baht wont cut it, she needs at least 45,000baht to get by per month.

Now now be sensible - if this man is living overseas and sending his wife money to maintain a lifestyle - a VERY decent BKK 1 bdrm apartment can easily cost 8,000.oo baht per month and then double that for expenses and you have only 24,000.oo. I dont belive there is need for 30,000.oo+ per month

That should keep her in a Thai lifestyle that is commensurate with being married to a farang.

I also agree with the mainstay requirement that ALL farang wives should be working and earning money to send home or pay for incidentals.

No longer should we be viewed as patsies opening our wallets to the wives to sit at home jobless and spend without regard.

She paid her rent and food and utilities and sent money home to her parents before you met her.

Now that she has a farang partner - you pay the rent and utilities and she has her entire paycheck to send home if she likes - but I bet she won't. If all farangs get this methodology into their heads and quit allowing their partners and their families and extended families to exploit them this would be a better place for all farangs - some balance would be restored.

All the double standards that exist with the division between farangs and Thais we should do everything within our powers to close that gap permanently

agree 100% well said

• Like 1

We allow my wife's niece 25K a month while she's at university up in Khon Kaen which includes digs, books, to run a scoot and a fun, comfortable lifestyle which is what university is all about in spite of what academics seem to think....

When we were deciding/debating this issue I thought 25K excessive for a young single lass not in BKK but better that, than she looking for alternative methods of funding her studies which is the wife's big (huge) fear. I also felt that by not having financial worries would allow her the peace of mind to really hit the books. If she gets bad grades then Uncle HD is going to have to put her across his knee and give her a spanking....

When the wife and I retire (not too far off) she will be the earner of the family (we hope) so will take up the reins of financial responsibility from us, her Uncle and my in-laws, all of who both recently retired so for us we see it as an investment albeit one for the good of the family.

Good luck with that. You seem overly optimistic about here earning power after she graduates university.
She has an internship lined up already in the UK related to her field thanks to her grandparents. Thankfully not all of us have hillbilly families here. You sound like a teacher I once knew who could never accentuate the positive as he was stuck with a hideous bar girl wife and a vile brat of a kid. Any positive comment made at tje table he would sneer, then start his whine..I still cringe when I think of his whinging' yeaaaaah,but this is Thailand. ."
  • Like 1

whats the problem, I met my wife in pattaya, lucky day for me we were both visiting and she was in the beer bar

only to help a friend who was sick...she never work the bar and is special...she says she was farang in past life

which is why she likes my buddha belly and bald head....we are married now and i have bought her a condo

in Jomtien and only pay her 100,000 baht a month for her expenses, she has a sick brother that she takes care of

and apparently he has an illness that can be contagious but she is immune...thats why I stay in another condo

while she takes care of her brother....man she has a heart of gold, family stick together over here....i understand

she is always busy and she takes care me 3 times a week...I do wish the brother would get better but I am told

no luck he is getting worse and maybe need more care and more money for him.....i do not mind all this because

she really loves me and I am her first true love...hope other people like me come to pattaya and find their real

love....i have found pardise

I never understand these posts..!! If you were married in your own country, would you keep all your wages and give your wife an allowance?

I budget a monthly escape fund, stashed in U.K (escape for both of us, in case the country really goes South) and the rest goes into our joint acc as do her wages...

Sounds to me like you are paying to say you are married to a Thai girl and not in a 'marriage' at all...

Yes in the home country I would give a wife an allowance. No reason to let a woman from anywhere run wild with cash.

What sort of wimp needs to ask others, if he's giving his wife the right amount of money?

Really that sums up the whole post. It should have been the first reply and end of matter.

But that would have been so boring.

As said, minimum wage is sufficient.

We allow my wife's niece 25K a month while she's at university up in Khon Kaen which includes digs, books, to run a scoot and a fun, comfortable lifestyle which is what university is all about in spite of what academics seem to think....

When we were deciding/debating this issue I thought 25K excessive for a young single lass not in BKK but better that, than she looking for alternative methods of funding her studies which is the wife's big (huge) fear. I also felt that by not having financial worries would allow her the peace of mind to really hit the books. If she gets bad grades then Uncle HD is going to have to put her across his knee and give her a spanking....

When the wife and I retire (not too far off) she will be the earner of the family (we hope) so will take up the reins of financial responsibility from us, her Uncle and my in-laws, all of who both recently retired so for us we see it as an investment albeit one for the good of the family.

I hope this post isn't overlooked ... it's actually quite good ... thumbsup.gif

Not for everyone ... but for some ... sure.

Reading the op and some of the replies, it's so obvious why thai/farang relationships get stereotyped.

Each to their own i suppose, but the posters on here seem as divided as the reds and yellows when it comes to the kind of women they date and marry.

But for me, the thought of dating or marrying someone that i have to give an allowance to or support their family is just beyond ridiculous.

To answer the op, I would give her FA, make her get off her backside and get a job like most normal people.

But I think people like the OP are just as responsible for encouraging the "lazy, i will just marry a farang attitude".... supply and demand i guess

all the time there are guluble farangs, then there will always be lazy thai women.

These people must just seek each other out on matchmakers...

Though we are not married, I made a promise to my other half, a member here that, if she had to stop giving a contribution to the Farm because she gave up her job of 11 years working with an international firm to come visit my home country for an extended period, I would take up her responsibilities in that regard.

I give half of what she did to the Family every month ... and happy to do so.

But I also live rent free at the Farm when I go there, eat the food ... atm, on average, 6 months of the year.

I do implore other members here to think outside their own experiences and see that sometimes things that don't seem right for them, given their personal circumstances, it can be right for others.

That said ... I still reckon that, given the OP ... Bt 15,000 is way over the top.

She might be a looker and that's the stipend required to keep her.

We await the photo ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

so what?

there are plenty of people in the west who work minimum wage jobs which barely cover the cost of the monthly living expenses!

and alot of these people you refer to get given free land for agriculture, also pay no tax, many grow their own vegetables and have their own chickens.

and before bleeding heart types come along with the "try supporting a family on 6,000 baht a month" remarks

these poor people you are referring to were poor before they decided to have children, if they knew they were poor and would not be able to financially provide a good education and better way of life for their children, why have them?

sorry if it seems harsh, but in the west people often complain about people who can not afford to support themselves let alone children, deciding to have kids anyway and then try and get support from the state.

me and my wife both have our own jobs and work very hard, we talked about having children years ago, but decided not to for various reasons, but one of those reasons was financial reasons back then.

but these people who are earning below the minimum wage (according to you) decided to have children of their own free will, knowing they cant really afford to or provide a better future.

I personally would never dream of having a child (even if i wanted one) if i did not have the financial means to provide a solid education and good future for them.

For those who say "there is no pension here, so they have kids so they will take care of them in old age"

just think if all these poor people didn't have kids but saved up the money each month that it would cost to feed, cloth and educated the children if they had them.... there is their pension right there!

for anyone who does not have enough money to raise and financially support a child or provide the child with a good education, to then expect that child to grow up to be anything but a rice farmer or equivalent is just stupid.

just go and look in all the seedy farang orientated bars here, where do you think all those girls come from?

Get off your high horse! I just meant that most Thais are perfectly able to live in this country with an average monthly income amounting less than 15000 THB (and even with much less than this amount for a significant number of them).

so what?

Get off your high horse! I just meant that most Thais are perfectly able to live in this country with an average monthly income amounting less than 15000 THB (and even with much less than this amount for a significant number of them).

lol you should have said that then shouldn't you.

if you just write posts like that, how are other people supposed to know what you mean.

food for thought....

Probably she don't...You do.

so what?

lol you should have said that then shouldn't you.

if you just write posts like that, how are other people supposed to know what you mean.

food for thought....

OP is wondering whether or not a 15000 THB monthly allowance is enough for his Thai wife, so, I gave him a few data just to put things in perspective. I don't think that it's rocket science to reach to a logical conclusion knowing that the monthly average income in Thailand is nearly 3000 baht lower than his wife's monthly allowance (and especially knowing that a significant number of Thais are living with much less than this amount), or is it?

Edited by GuyL

I send my Thai wife about 15k baht a month. Is this enough? She always spends it quickly and always needs more for something such as for her family back home. I don't want to be a lousy provider but I'm also not made out of money. How much is enough? FYI, she was never a bar girl if that's what you're thinking. Just a normal Thai lady.

A normal Thai lady don't get paid every month to stay with her man

I live in a large Thai Family (when in Thailand (obviously)).

larsjohnsson... don't presume.

It may be a little more common then you think.

I know Thai/Thai relationship fairly close to that arrangement ... Thailand is what it is.

He's a motorcycle man (taxi) ... shes a 7/10 (never worked in the trade).

Good luck to them if they are both happy ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48

How do men find themselves in these ridiculous situations?

How does a man seriously get it into his head that he's gonna come to LOS, meet a girl, fall in love, tie the knot then go back to the West and send a stipend every month when he has no freakin' clue what she's doing with the money??

I mean, is it just the type of men Thailand attracts because I know I could paint this picture to any of 10 perfectly ordinary, straightforward guys back in London who would cut off their own choppers before putting themselves in this situation.

One more for HS,

And in the UK I know a hundred lonely, but not necessarily single, men who would happily send a young Thai girl far more money every month in the expectation and lifestyle fantasy of a young Thai girl to have sex with on every visit.

I also know loads of UK guys who had boats and holiday villas that cost them a fortune, but they never really had time to use them. It's all about expectation and fantasy, and maybe a little about boasting.

There is actually a good amount of truth in both those statements ... they aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by David48

Reading the op and some of the replies, it's so obvious why thai/farang relationships get stereotyped.

Each to their own i suppose, but the posters on here seem as divided as the reds and yellows when it comes to the kind of women they date and marry.

But for me, the thought of dating or marrying someone that i have to give an allowance to or support their family is just beyond ridiculous.

To answer the op, I would give her FA, make her get off her backside and get a job like most normal people.

But I think people like the OP are just as responsible for encouraging the "lazy, i will just marry a farang attitude".... supply and demand i guess

all the time there are guluble farangs, then there will always be lazy thai women.

These people must just seek each other out on matchmakers...

Though we are not married, I made a promise to my other half, a member here that, if she had to stop giving a contribution to the Farm because she gave up her job of 11 years working with an international firm to come visit my home country for an extended period, I would take up her responsibilities in that regard.

I give half of what she did to the Family every month ... and happy to do so.

But I also live rent free at the Farm when I go there, eat the food ... atm, on average, 6 months of the year.

I do implore other members here to think outside their own experiences and see that sometimes things that don't seem right for them, given their personal circumstances, it can be right for others.

That said ... I still reckon that, given the OP ... Bt 15,000 is way over the top.

She might be a looker and that's the stipend required to keep her.

We await the photo ... whistling.gif

so you saying that she gave up her job to visit your home country for an extended period right?

so is she still living there with you? if so i can understand why you would make the gesture.

but if she is back living here now and capable of getting another job and paying her own way again and you are living overseas, then i dont really understand why you should paying anything

unless of course she was unable to find another job that paid as much as the job she gave up to visit you, then i could understand you helping out a little.

obviously there are some real valid reasons from some posters as to why they help their wives financially, but i think many of the replies here are aimed at the ones who just simply pay their wives an allowance to sit around all day.

which i am sure you will agree seems to be a national pass time for many farangs here to support lazy women and their greedy families.

i mean, if you think the op describes a normal relationship, why isn't there forums from usa or Europe where men post questions on how much of an allowance they should give their wives

the fact that people post these silly questions here just goes to show that they think this is the normal set up in thailand between farangs and thai women..

as another poster mentioned earlier its because of farang fools that throw money at lazy thai women, that thai/farang relationships get stereotyped so much and to be honest a not so nice stigma attached.