How much is enough for the wife's monthly allowance?

zierf1

??? I feel very proud I didn't use a translator. Been leaning Thai through an intensive method since the beginning of the year and I could actually make out the gist of it! A proud moment for me ????

you doing really well

in thai there are many words that are used to link words and sentances together and also to complete sentances, when the word ไป is used this way in sentances it does not hold on to its true translation as "go" it does not really translate into english in anyway.

the word ไป means to go but when you use it in sentances like "ไม่รู้จะตอบไปทำไม" i dont know why i should answer

or จะทำแบบนี้ต่อไป i will do it this way from now on

or คุณจะรู้ไปทำไม why do you want to know?

Yeah I understand and have learned about how ไป is used that is why I typed it in Thai as it has many nuances as you mentioned such as an "indictor" to carry forward or continue in relation to non animate and animate things.

I like the other idea too "why have I been driven to this" that seems like a much more typical Thai response than the challenging "why should I respond" the former being more rhetorical in feeling and passive in nature. Thanks again ?

My farang wife didnt work , we had 4 kids , so Im quite used to giving money to my partner and therefore see nothing wrong with giving an allowance to my new Thai partner.

I dont know their opinions on here dont seem represented , but every man I know who lives in Phuket or CM does this , and doesnt see anything wrong with it, as a matter of fact.

Just the same as you dont.

Surely they cant ALL be being taken for a ride as some respondents would have it...

A waitress or shop assistant around here will earn about 10k a month , some a bit more with tips, and I can understand those husbands who want their wife to earn something like that if the house needs money.

But its not for me , I am retired and dont work , and the 60 hour work week that is required for my 'wife' to bring in that amount is simply too long a work week.

Thus I give her 12k a month , about $100 US a week , when I used to give my ex $1000 a week . So it looks like a good deal to me , and of course , as I live here , all the traditional wifely duties are taken care of. They are also taken care with a good deal more enthusiasm and good nature than I had before.

Though , in fairness , this time there is only one child , her happy little grand daughter.

So I think that 15k is enough , a little too high if there are no kids , but up to you.

If your 'wife' is incapable of budgeting that , as mine was initially , spread it , as somebody wisely said, over 2 payments.

You are 'between a rock and a hard place' I know , because you are trying to save to move to LOS , and the more you send over , the less you can save for that purpose. You should ask her nicely to think about that ...

But every relationship has its tests , and by refusing to up the money , you are making a very small test of your relationships strength , as well as not making some crazy rod for your own back. Of course if you keep giving more , when you finally get here she will be expecting you to keep doing so , and thus its a pity you didnt start off lower , giving you room to at least look more generous.

My advice is to learn to grunt or remain silent about her expenditures on family. They will only mirror her behaviour and start asking for more as they see the tap doesnt appear to have any "off" valve.

Im leaning with the opinions here that she can always work the 60 hours , and near double her money if she cant keep up the families supply , and its a natural consequence that she may become a tad more frugal when its her hard earned going straight out the door.

I wouldnt tell her outright she has to get a job , but it could be a helpful suggestion by you once she embarked on some "Mumma needs.." story.

Finally , Do You Have a Plan? To me thats vital to keep the tg on track and looking toward a future...

What a good post!

To not assume so much but give from your own experience. So different from some of the "jackals" that think that all thai girls are gold diggers, prostitutes or both. As someone said they just dont get the thing about support your gf or wife!? Would they be the same in a relation with a farang wife in the homeland? If so, I can see why they moved here. I f one trust n' love one's partner and are away for a time (or otherwise), and the partner doesn't have enough income for some understandable reason then of course one is supportive, if possible.

Especially if you're planning on settling here.

I f we're talking about a gick (kik) or a professional then it might be very different of course.

But why why, does it always have to be so presumptuous in these posts? Did the humanity stay put in the homeland?

Sent from the Appie Tappie

But a Scotsman who uses the correct pronouns....LOL.

Thanks for the laugh. Your feeble attempt to try and make people think you can write Thai has me and the wife in stitches....

or คุณจะรู้ไปทำไม why do you want to know?

Hahahahaha try: "why do you need to know more?" or "how much more do you need to know"? Hahahahaha you can't even get that right....get your sleeping translator working right.....but thanks for the laugh....

What a feeb.....are you a boiler room boy? 3 days in BKK, 3 months on Stickman.com and you're "fluent" in Thai and mr expert?

lol the plot thickens, so your wife is there with you! sri by any chance,

so now we have established that both you and your wife have bad understanding of the thai language

maybe your wife should have paid more attention in school

but then she would have got a better education, a better job and her own money and probably would not have needed to marry you.

thank god that fate and nanna plaza bought you together

just goes to show you that there really is someone for everyone

any of the other posters on here can let their wives read จะรู้ไปทำไม and see how their wives translate it.

so you can sit there and beat on your monkey chest all you want and say your thai wife says this or sais that but it means nothing other than the fact she needs to go back to school.

Edited by tyler2208

whats the problem, I met my wife in pattaya, lucky day for me we were both visiting and she was in the beer bar

only to help a friend who was sick...she never work the bar and is special...she says she was farang in past life

which is why she likes my buddha belly and bald head....we are married now and i have bought her a condo

in Jomtien and only pay her 100,000 baht a month for her expenses, she has a sick brother that she takes care of

and apparently he has an illness that can be contagious but she is immune...thats why I stay in another condo

while she takes care of her brother....man she has a heart of gold, family stick together over here....i understand

she is always busy and she takes care me 3 times a week...I do wish the brother would get better but I am told

no luck he is getting worse and maybe need more care and more money for him.....i do not mind all this because

she really loves me and I am her first true love...hope other people like me come to pattaya and find their real

love....i have found pardise

55555 I can't breathe, it's so funny!

Sent from the Appie Tappie

• Like 1

OMG! Have you seen how much things cost in Thailand? The rent, the food, the beauty products, the night out with a friend, the transportation, the family needs, etc. 15,000 baht wont cut it, she needs at least 45,000baht to get by per month.

You <deleted>....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mine gets 20k of which I insist 5k is banked for her pet project of building on her land.

Just an attempt to get some fiscal responsibility in her as initially she would be off to the candy store like a 7 year old.

I see many who get much more, met one recently who gets 100k..... the guy is welcome to her.

Is she working?

My wife earns about 40 000/month, some of which she gives to her parents and sister.

Maybe sit down with your wife and ask her to set out a budget? Don't assume she's blowing it, but help her set up a way that you can both account for it.

I know that mine is very careful with money as we buy and sell a lot of stocks, which she manages. She also keeps receipts of all transactions so that we know what we spend on.

Essentially we manage a budget together.

I have lived in Thailand for over 10 years

and I find you statement that your thai wife makes over 40,000 baht a month a little hard to believe

I know high Bank officers that not make that amount of money

15000 is a good wage for a thai wife

My wife tells me many in her home village would be happy with 8000 baht

OMG! Have you seen how much things cost in Thailand? The rent, the food, the beauty products, the night out with a friend, the transportation, the family needs, etc. 15,000 baht wont cut it, she needs at least 45,000baht to get by per month.

That's why I recommend the Philippines.

We do not know enough about the OPs position here, is he separated from his wife? If so, does he want to be with his wife? Is it the case that he does not want to be with his wife? Or maybe he does and he wants to look after her hoping she will come back so he keeps sending her money.

Is he working away from home with the wifes blessing? Did they talk about the finances between them before he left? In any case. 15.000 Baht per month is enough to keep her. He is not responsible for the wifes mother, that is her responsibility along with any brothers or sisters he may have.

I think to give the OP any help or advice, he will need to tell us more.

We're not separated. We're married. I'm just sending money to her while I'm away. I currently work for a living and hope to move to Thailand permanently in the future though.

I was hoping 15k a month would keep her happy but I don't know if it's enough. She says I at least *partially* support her whole family? blink.png I have no idea how an entire family could survive on that small amount I sent her. Seemed like a joke to me.

Carabao is Thailands most popular musical group

some time ago they wrote a No. 1 song called ขอจันทร์ อันลิมิเตด

The song will answer your question

Now matter how mush you give a Thai

They will never be happy and want more

This is Thais talking about thais

• Like 2

300 baht is amount set for child support payments for Thai men. Make your own conclusions.

Thai men do not pay child support.

CHILD SUPPORT IN THAILAND - FOR AN ILLEGITIMATE CHILD

In general, the biological father of the child is not obligated to pay for the child support. However, the father is not barred to enter into an agreement on child support payment with the mother of the child, and such agreement is enforceable once it is registered with the district office.

.FOR DIVORCING PARENTS

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Child-Support-in-Thailand.php

The issue of child support can be decided by parents in the divorce agreement. The amount of child support and the method of payment may be set according to the agreement of the parents. Once the divorce agreement containing the child custody and the child support settlement is signed in the presence of the two witnesses, the agreement needs to be registered with the district office at the time of registering the divorce for the validation. If the noncustodial parent fails to pay the child support as agreed, the custodial is entitled to file a petition to the court for the enforcement.

Reading alot of B.S. here.

For all you guys who forked over the 300,000 baht or more for the pre-nuptials....Congratulations...But I think you are still paying out a wad every month.

For those paying a pittance or nothin.....Perhaps it will average out for the 3 years or less you manage to keep her, but she will sure keep everything else in the house, put it in the car, and drive back to the provincial Headquarters of gals who love to get supported by Farangs.

For those who just marry the elite, pure white, upper class professionals.....well...I guess they paid you !

Walking the streets, all I see are older, balding, staunchy retired guys with their gal in her twenties (all dolled up and wearing more gold than both Obama and Beyonce together.

Keep paying...keep playing.

I give 75,000 per month, I wanted her to give up work so I pay her instead.

She gave me a good deal, considering what she used to earn being the number one superstar in Baby GoGo, she has taken a cut in pay.

F*cking hell - seventy five grand a month. Must have had huge windows when she saw you coming over the horizon. In my opinion, the more you give the more they spend. Money burns a hole in their pocket. I've experienced that both with my wife and stepson, and donations are regularly made to the Temple for the after life where they will be looked after by Buddha. What a load of old b*llocks.

I would say staying at home and not working and earning 15,000 a month is a good 'salary' - why is the family also being supported.

Get her to find a job earning that much a month.

This is a laugh - sent by someone who wants more money and thinks all foreigners are wealthy...LOL

An income survey done about 8 years ago stated the Thai average income was 4000 Baht per month, yes, four thousand...

However, in the cities much more is required, so 10k is more reasonable, but your question cannot be answered directly.

In Udon Thani, for example, a city apartment can be found for anywhere from 500 - 10,000 Baht. Locally, one hospital has an apartment wing where studios rent for 6,000 Baht. Meanwhile a small studio in the heart of town rents for 3,000 Baht. Hotels rent from 100 Baht to 3000 Baht per night.

Lastly, has your wife accepted her role to support foreign standards..?? For example, my Mother would rather starve than ask for a penny. On occasion, I do send her money, but she always refers to it as a loan and insists on paying back. We have always believed that to ask for money is insulting and rude, but such begging is common in Thailand.

Thai people always exaggerate their needs - when 1500 Baht will do just fine, they will demand 5000, but because the future is unknowable, budgeting is not well understood. 'The past is gone, the future is unknown, so today is the only time - spend it all'.

My wife once explained the difference; 'give a Thai 100 Baht and they will spend it, but give a foreigner 100 Baht and he puts 50 in a drawer, uses 30 for food and 20 to play'.

One afternoon, my Mother in Law received 1000 Baht for 'household expenses'. Just before noon the following day, she again asked for money. Whe asked where the money had gone, she answered 'I don't know'...

All these ideas are based in a sharing agrarian economy, where, for centuries, nothing was individually owned; oxen (buffalo) shared for plowing, everyone helping to build a house or harvest a field.

15k is sure enough and as said get her to do a job.

Supporting (supporting, not sitt back and hold the hand open) the parents is something you should consider as it is a normal thing in LOS.

Other then the parents...show them where the door is...

Dont listen to the shit ....she was a top hooker and so I have to pay 75K....!

You want a partner or mistress?

If you want a mistress, take them one by one and pay per night! A mistress you will never own as she is out on tour the moment your behind the check in counter!

Beautifull thai girls go for one off payment around 50K (sinod) just that they get a husband providing them with a good life.

And the parents later are happy if they see any cent....why a farang needs to bleed?!

Good luck with managing a thai wife ;)

I give 75,000 per month, I wanted her to give up work so I pay her instead.

She gave me a good deal, considering what she used to earn being the number one superstar in Baby GoGo, she has taken a cut in pay.

F*cking hell - seventy five grand a month. Must have had huge windows when she saw you coming over the horizon. In my opinion, the more you give the more they spend. Money burns a hole in their pocket. I've experienced that both with my wife and stepson, and donations are regularly made to the Temple for the after life where they will be looked after by Buddha. What a load of old b*llocks.

I would say staying at home and not working and earning 15,000 a month is a good 'salary' - why is the family also being supported.

Get her to find a job earning that much a month.

Wooosh!

The sarcasm from Banzai99 seems to have gone right over your head matewink.png

The minimum wage in Thailand is 300 baht a day... 300x30 is 9000 baht per month. A lot of Thai's with families are earning only that so if you are sending her 15000 a month to sit on her backside she is doing very well thanks very much.. TELL HER TO GET A JOB....

Well, I guess being a wife is her job. So I pay her. Seriously, how is any man going to get & keep a woman if he doesn't have any money?? I've tried to spot some homeless guys with women but no luck yet..

You could ask your dad if he had to pay your mom to stay with him .

My dad turned over his entire paycheck every week to my mom and had to ask her for money whenever he wanted it. She is the one that paid the bills, did the grocery shopping and took care of the kids. Who takes care of the money is often dictated by who is better able to take care of the money. In my parents case my dad sucked at it and my mom could make what he earned last as long as possible. She didn't drink, smoke or gamble and my dad did all 3.

• Like 2

whats the problem, I met my wife in pattaya, lucky day for me we were both visiting and she was in the beer bar

only to help a friend who was sick...she never work the bar and is special...she says she was farang in past life

which is why she likes my buddha belly and bald head....we are married now and i have bought her a condo

in Jomtien and only pay her 100,000 baht a month for her expenses, she has a sick brother that she takes care of

and apparently he has an illness that can be contagious but she is immune...thats why I stay in another condo

while she takes care of her brother....man she has a heart of gold, family stick together over here....i understand

she is always busy and she takes care me 3 times a week...I do wish the brother would get better but I am told

no luck he is getting worse and maybe need more care and more money for him.....i do not mind all this because

she really loves me and I am her first true love...hope other people like me come to pattaya and find their real

love....i have found pardise

this is a joke / troll right

you only pay 100.000 baht per month, lol

and she stays with her sick brother, which is probably her real husband

which she takes good care 4x per week

Is she working?

My wife earns about 40 000/month, some of which she gives to her parents and sister.

Maybe sit down with your wife and ask her to set out a budget? Don't assume she's blowing it, but help her set up a way that you can both account for it.

I know that mine is very careful with money as we buy and sell a lot of stocks, which she manages. She also keeps receipts of all transactions so that we know what we spend on.

and I find you statement that your thai wife makes over 40,000 baht a month a little hard to believe

It depends upon location and if the lady is educated then you would be surprised how many make 40k and over. In the company where I work the only females who would get less than 40k would be the graduate entrants and those with less than 2 years workplace experience.

So presuming that the previous posters wife is educated and working in Bangkok I would find it a little hard to believe that she is not making at least 40k per month.

Well the signal-to-noise ratio here's about normal. . .

I'll put in my two cents' worth. Nothing wrong with doing it the way you're doing it as long as you're happy, going in with eyes wide open aware you might be tossing money away, she may have multiple husband/BF/sponsors, but as long as it doesn't threaten your financial security.

B15,000 a month is plenty for a "normal" Thai to live on including contributing to the family.

How much is "enough" - there is never "enough", the spending will always be at least 100% of the income.

Whether that is "enough" or not for her to bother maintaining the relationship is another question we can't answer.

My advice FFR to others, don't get this entangled with a girl if you're not actually going to be living together, just pay as you go for your visits without any long-term plans until you're actually ready to set up a household together.

• Like 1

Is she working?

It depends upon location and if the lady is educated then you would be surprised how many make 40k and over. In the company where I work the only females who would get less than 40k would be the graduate entrants and those with less than 2 years workplace experience.

So presuming that the previous posters wife is educated and working in Bangkok I would find it a little hard to believe that she is not making at least 40k per month.

agreed

we live in chiang mai, my wife's monthly salary was 45,000 p/m up until recently but has gone up to 47,000 p/m

if she was doing the equivalent job in bkk she would be on between 60,000-65,000

Edited by tyler2208
  • Like 1