Another Falang Rip-off

Jinxy1128

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to remember that this is a common practice throughout Pattaya. Many, in fact, most attractions that are free for Thais, charge a fee for foriegners. And those that have a fee for Thais, charge higher fees for foreigners.

Tourism is, after all, the life blood of Pattaya, if not all of Thailand. What you view as a "rip off" is viewed by Thais as "tourist income". We have to recognize that, in their philosophy, getting revenue from tourists is simply "normal business."

Resident falangs (proven with a Thai driver's license), can often (though not always) be allowed to pay the same fee (if any) as a Thai.

Edited by patsfangr
  • Like 1

First off, it's not a scam, but I don't agree with this double pricing policy (same as in any Thai national park).

I stopped going to that Pattaya floating market ever since they installed the gate and started charging foreigners.

There aren't anything there worth paying for.

Nobody said it was a scam, but a rip-off. Different thing. Charging falangs to enter a market where they want you to spend money on cheap trinkets, is a rip-off. It's not Disneyland for god's sake!

You're right, I misread.

It's not a market, it is a tourist attraction.

Would you care to describe exactly what the attractions are? Other than a cable you can slide along and boat ride over muddy water, what else is there? There's a lot of shops selling a lot of identical crap, but I'd hardly think that was worth paying money to see.

• Like 2

Because it s crisis time and they don't make any money. I go there to eat some time. But won't any more if I have to pay 200 bahts to go eat rice and chicken . I live close, so I will go give a look these next few days to see if it's true.

Edited by Cheapman
  • Like 1

Would you care to describe exactly what the attractions are? Other than a cable you can slide along and boat ride over muddy water, what else is there? There's a lot of shops selling a lot of identical crap, but I'd hardly think that was worth paying money to see.

Google tourist attraction.

I'm not promoting it, and I wouldn't go again on a bet. It is for tourists, not for poorly behaved locals dressed in rags pretending they can speak Thai whine about paying 20 baht for for something they can get at lotus for 15. The 200 Baht is probably as much for keeping the local pikers out as it is for generating revenue.

• Like 1

Do you understand the word "tourist"? If you came to Pattaya, Thailand for the first time from your home in Indiana, USA; or Frankfurt, Germany; or Liverpool, UK; I think that you WOULD consider the Floating Market a tourist attraction. Of course it's not a special experience for those of us who LIVE here; or for those who've visited Thailand several times. But it IS for actual tourists! I lived in So Cal for over 30 years. I went to Disneyland, and Sea World, and Universal Studios with family and friends a few times. After one or two visits, they weren't special to me either. (And, by the way, Disneyland at least a few years ago - gave discounts to California residents.)

Surely you aren't comparing the Floating Market to Disneyland or Universal Studios? Those are unique attractions, as opposed to the Floating Market that offers nothing that you can't find in Thepprasit , Soi Bukao and many other markets, other than a muddy pool of water. BTW, lose the sarcasm.

Hmmm, 200 baht for the floating market, 3,000 baht for Disneyland. Yes, the floating market should be every bit as good!!!!!

Just don't go.

• Like 2

Because it s crisis time and they don't make any money. I go there to eat some time. But won't any more if I have to pay 200 bahts to go eat rice and chicken . I live close, so I will go give a look these next few days to see if it's true.

Your "some time" isn't often enough to call it some time, they've been charging for at least a few years already. :lol:

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Google tourist attraction.

I'm not promoting it, and I wouldn't go again on a bet. It is for tourists, not for poorly behaved locals dressed in rags pretending they can speak Thai whine about paying 20 baht for for something they can get at lotus for 15. The 200 Baht is probably as much for keeping the local pikers out as it is for generating revenue.

Since the place has averaged 4500 visitors a day since it opened, I strongly suspect this is the case, can't have a few cheap Charlie falangs sour mouthing something the domestic tourists are quite happy with.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just few kilometer South, There is a hollandish market . They charge entrance fee too.

I think it s where the floating market got the idea from.

Wrong. I am guessing you mean Mimosa which is less than a year old, they just recently introduced an entry fee, probably for the same reasons as mentioned in the post above yours.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Central Festival Mall could be deemed a tourist attraction. You want to pay 200 bt to enter? The Tuesday/Friday Buakhao market is a bit of a tourist magnet. How about paying 50 baht so you can have a 40 baht coffee. facepalm.gif Anyway, if you want to pay to enter a contrived "floating market", it's your money.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 2

If your A farang and you don't want to pay then don't go.You probably have more money than the average Thai or you wouldn't be coming to Thailand.I say if you don't want to pay don't go.Me myself I think it's A good idea to get some money out of tight wad foreigners.Most make 10 times or more what an average Thai does.So pay the baht or stay home.