Another Falang Rip-off

Jinxy1128

Last time I was there with my Thai gf nobody asked or charged me anything! I just walked straight through the entrance with everyone else.

Gotta admit though.... It is a dump and I won't be back anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called commerce. One sets prices to maximize profit, not to meet some arbitrary standard of fairness. No different from charging different prices for children and adults at movie theaters or other attractions.

If a black adult was charged twice the price of a white would you still call that commerce?

Some hypothetical questions deserve an answer, but this inane one doesn't.

How is my question any more inane than the stupid comparison between adult and childrens prices at the movies? The question was directed at cocopops, not you anyway. Time to quit this topic whilst I still have my sanity.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

In my 20+ years in Thailand this subject comes up over and over and over. I don't believe in the double price system so I just don't go to the places that do this........simple really. To the people who say what's the big deal(?), it's such a small amount; I can afford to go to these places, no problem, but it's all about if you believe/not believe in the "principle" of things. To me the principle of the thing is everybody is entering the same area and looking at the same things so should be the charged the same price. If my Thai wife is in my home country she pays the same price as I do anywhere we go.

They don't have a slogan of "Amazing Thailand" for nothing, I'm always amazed here.....sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way!

So what do you think about the common practice in the USA of discounting or wavering entrance fees for senior citizens, military personnel and veterans, the disabled, students, children, etc. Why should these people get a discount? Do you think I'm being discriminated against here? Also, is it fair that I get into my home state's (Oregon) parks but out-of-staters have to pay an entrance fee?

Edited by HerbalEd

For Floating Market read 'Mimosa'. For this shopping mall entrance you are charged 50 baht. I've been once.

Are you related to cheapman, the poster above you, or was you both at the same yabba pipe?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmm, did you have your feelings hurt? The lady was just doing her job. If you were not a Thai resident you would have had to pay and how would she know if you were a Thai resident or not? I think you are totally over reacting and I really hate to read about this type of nonsense on Thai Visa. Totally ridiculous! Try to find something positive to do with your time besides whining over something so stupid!

So why not have price discrimination for everything a falang buys in Thailand? Do your shopping at Lotus? Have a "falang surcharge" added to your bill. You'd be happy with that would you?

How's that comparable? Lotus isn't a tourist attraction.

Who said,i took my visiting mates there.They enjoyed the ac.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of both sides. A/ Double prices are based solely on face control which is racist. B/ Farangs are crying and whining about this all the time. You have lots of choices except crying and whining 1) Do not go there 2) speak a little Thai and show your driving licence 3) pay the tourist price, shut your mouth and do not whine.

4) Go to the nearest bar and get absolutely pissed out of your head thinking about it.

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's called commerce. One sets prices to maximize profit, not to meet some arbitrary standard of fairness. No different from charging different prices for children and adults at movie theaters or other attractions.

If a black adult was charged twice the price of a white would you still call that commerce?

Some hypothetical questions deserve an answer, but this inane one doesn't.

Because you can't answer it,that's why.

"Disneyland at least a few years ago - gave discounts to California residents.)"

Yes, but not to ALL Americans. The attractions in Pattaya (or anywhere else in Thailand) that discriminate don't care where the Thais live, only that they are Thai

My Filipina GF got in for free, just cause she looks Thai !!

"Disneyland at least a few years ago - gave discounts to California residents.)"

Yes, but not to ALL Americans. The attractions in Pattaya (or anywhere else in Thailand) that discriminate don't care where the Thais live, only that they are Thai

My Filipina GF got in for free, just cause she looks Thai !!

Except that they let Falangs that live in Thailand in free as well, so it is not about race.

Oh, and incidentally, American is not a race.

It's going out of fashion these days but when I was young most shops and stores in Wallonia and France had signs "Entrée Libre", ie free entrance !! Seemed strange to foreigners that it was suggested that there could ever be a fee for entering a shop (there never was, it was just a come-in gimmick).

LOL. When did they start charging for that; and 200 baht at that? I guess they won't be seeing anymore of my tourist friends and relatives.

About 2 years ago I think.

Last time I went there for free was the end of 2010 when my sister came to visit me in Thailand. I've been there before a few times so didn't enjoy it myself but I thought it's something my sister might enjoy visiting Thailand for the 1st time.

Next, and the last time (about a year and a half ago) I went there was a gate and I was stopped and demanded to pay an entry fee. As I didn't want to go there in a first place, was just tagging along with a GF who likes this sort of markets and crowds, I told GF to go somewhere else.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of both sides. A/ Double prices are based solely on face control which is racist. B/ Farangs are crying and whining about this all the time. You have lots of choices except crying and whining 1) Do not go there 2) speak a little Thai and show your driving licence 3) pay the tourist price, shut your mouth and do not whine.

Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this post? If you are sick and tired of reading posts from people complaining, go read a book, walk the dog or fly a kite.

I know what to do without your advice which you can.....

4) Go to the nearest bar and get absolutely pissed out of your head thinking about it.

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Take your advice for yourself and do not forget to ....it .....

It's not race, it residence.

If a white kid from Boston goes to MIT they only pay 25% of what a black kid from Los Angeles pays, is that okay or is it racist?