Thai farmers can get normal loans too: BAAC exec

webfact

Farmers can get normal loans too: BAAC exec
The Nation
Kampheng Phet

Money presented to family of woman who took her own life

BANGKOK: -- Farmers awaiting payment for rice submitted to the government pledging scheme could get loans of up to Bt100,000 to help them avoid difficulty and prevent them turning to loan sharks, according to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Co-operatives. The loans are not related to the rice scheme, but just part of the bank's normal services.

Meanwhile, the Mental Health Department has sent teams of psychologists to visit the homes of eight farmers who reportedly took their own lives over lack of payment for rice sold to the pledging scheme. The department expected to learn more about the farmers' deaths by Monday.

BAAC executives yesterday presented the family of farmer Boonma Sa-thong-uan, who on Tuesday hanged herself in Kamphaeng Phet's Klong Lan district, with Bt30,000 in assistance money.

Bank public relations and communications director Peerapong Kamchuen and other executives attended the funeral yesterday for Boonma, who reportedly committed suicide after having suffering severe stress due to the months-long overdue payment from the rice-pledging scheme. Boonma's cremation will be held today.

Peerapong said the BAAC had a debt-restructuring interest-reducing project that would help Boonma's husband Chalerm Sa-thong-uan, who also has a loan with the bank. It would give him a grace period until March 2015.

Meanwhile, the deputy director-general for Mental Health Panpimol Wipulakorn told a press conference on Thursday the department sent teams to visit the homes of eight farmers, who reportedly committed suicide over the scheme's overdue payments - to investigate the real reasons behind their deaths.

She said the department should be able to conclude the cause of suicide for the first seven cases by Monday, but it would take a while to gather information about the eighth case before a conclusion was drawn.

Panpimol said the visits were necessary because there could be many factors that contribute to a suicide and an economic problem may just be one reason. She said that many cases reportedly show some signs of suicide risk such as stress or depression. When such people encounter additional pressure or an economic-related stress, the risk of suicide rose.

She also warned that news about suicides could encourage copycat behaviour by people at risk.

News reports must be well-rounded and show all factors because some people may already have chronic illness plus stress over money problems. "It's not that you have no money then you must kill yourself for that reason," she said.

Panpimol urged people to watch others close to them for suicide risk signs, to seek advice from Public Health teams at hospitals or to seek care from public health volunteers.

She also urged farmers awaiting payments to jointly solve their problem step-by-step, rather than thinking this as the end of the world.

Deaths so far...

Eight suicides or stress-induced deaths this year attributed to lack of payments for rice submitted under the government pledging scheme:

January 9: A 59-year-old male farmer in Phichit's Muang district (fatal shock and high-blood pressure);

January 26: A 60-year-old male farmer in Roi Et's Muang district (hanging);

January 27: A 46-year-old male farmer in Si Sa Ket's Khukhan district (hanging);

January 28: A 43-year-old male worker in Buri Ram's Nong Hong district (hanging);

February 7: An 81-year-old female farmer in Kamphaeng Phet's Muang district (fatal shock and heart failure);

February 10: A 38-year-old female farmer in Sukhothai's Kong Krailat district (hanging);

February 11: A 42-year-old female farmer in Kamphaeng Phet's Klong Lan district (hanging);

February 12: A 42-year-old male farmer in Chachoengsao's Ratchasan district (drank pesticide).

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

Why didn't BAAC come up with this before? Could have saved some suicides and much grief and sorrow. But better late than never. Good job BAAC!

BAAC has only 110bn liquidity.... Read my post above, that will explain what is going on.

The government are playing money games, with no authority to do so. They are like ponzi scheme jockeys.

Edited by mightyatom
  • Like 1

This is all very well, but that's money you never had, that's called credit , credit means mortgage the farm , how do you repay the loan when you have no income coming in , come to think of it how can a bank give out a loan without proof of income, (sub prime, again??) you put the rice farmer or any farmer under duress to repay a loan with money has not got , to simplistic. bah.gif

The whole situation is a fiasco, but nonetheless very real to the farmers ALL OVER THAILAND who have been betrayed by their government.

According to last September figures (actually reporting Q2), the household debt in Thailand was running at an equivalent of 77% of GDP. 9 months on you can expect 2 things. GDP has dropped considerably, and conversely, debt has gone up just as considerably. That will place the true % of debt in perilous territory. And now they are encouraging the poor people to borrow even more. Not securable against the rice certificates, but chanots will do nicely thank you very much. The fat cats are already queuing up to reap the future benefits of loan defaults when the banks will have no choice but to repossess property to straighten out their books. I hope I am wrong, but if I am right prepare for a backlash that no country wishes to either contemplate or endure.

• Like 2

So the government is way late in paying the farmers thru the BAAC

Both the above claim to have no money

Now the BAAC say the farmers can borrow money

I hope it is interest free

Do they really expect farmers to go further in debt because the PTP pilfered too much money and now has none left?

Only in Thailand

I hope Pheu Thai and the Politicians involved have agreed to pay the interest on any loans made to the farmers out of their own pockets, cos all I'm seeing is a ton of people getting even deeper into a financial minefield with a very hard crawl to get out from under, all from a 'scheme' designed to 'help' them.

• Like 1

I find it almost impossible to read about these tragic and completely avoidable agrarian-worker debt-suicides. Their being in that position should never have happened, and the people responsible in Government should face legal consequences for inflicting this financial catastrophe on the poorest and most hardworking citizens. It really is a case of corrupt policy and administrative negligence directly leading to deaths, and the people responsible should not be allowed to sweep this crime against humanity under the carpet.

• Like 2

Jeez what a great approach. Go get more loans so you have to pay interest in money you should already have and will never be paid by us! And let us come investigate your entire family and life so we can then announce our pre-formed conclusion that it was other stress and not the rice scheme that caused the suicides!

-*I typed this myself*-

• Like 1

What the OP glosses over is the difficulty and amount of time involved in getting a loan from a bank for the average village dwelling Thai. That is why they resort to loan sharks.

Personal experience; my BIL could not get a loan to expand his business despite owning his village home and having a sound business plan already proven. I offered him B200,000 @ 12% reducible payable monthly, a reasonable return for me with a simple calculation of balance for him (New balance = [old balance -payment] x 101%). He discussed it with his wife and offered 12% flat on the whole balance (which I reduced to 10%) because it was easier to calculate. Paid back in 2 years with interest.

The farmers don't need a loan....they NEED to get PAID.

Paid with interest would be nice but I reckon that's not

gonna happen...the farmers just need to get paid and

paid soon. The farmers are the last people YL's

government wants to have pissed off at them...the rest

of the populace will shortly follow as soon as their bellies

no longer have rice in em. End the problem...pay the

farmers...it's quite simple really.

• Like 1

surely this is some kind of joke, they refuse to give loans against the money they owe them but then after 8 deaths they turn around and say they will do it but under normal loans, ie, interest payable on the amount borrowed. This is theft pure and simple, the bank owes them the money but will not pay and tells them to take loans(of the money owed to them) with interest instead so that the bank can get back their money, only in Thailand

and the question that no one has yet answered - why isnt the government selling the rice?

They are, at auction, and getting a fraction of the market price.

May put a small dent in the debt, but will not fix the problem.

Have a look at :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704323-afet-bids-for-thai-govt-rice-come-in-low-amid-high-supply/

The long-term consequences of the rice scheme have been devastating to the families of farmers. As these stories illuminate, there is a human tragedy here that is finally reaching public awareness. It sheds a terrible light on this administration. It sheds a light on corruption, and where it can lead. In fact, it is easier now to draw a very clear causal line between the unethical behavior of this administration and the tragedies they spawn. They may indeed have begun by taking root in smoke-filled executive rooms, but they end up here - in the humble homes of rural farmers and their families. What they experience are the real consequences of the Yingluck administration.

• Like 1