Baiting, can you do it

seajae

As most of you know I grow frangipani, to be more exact I do cross pollination to create unique varieties in the world(takes up to 5 years to do so). A week ago dogs dug under my fence and got in to all my plants, they smashed several and dug a lot of the new seedlings up. I paid a local to go in and re dig around all of them, fertilize add a compost mix and dig it all in again. Yesterday the dogs had done it again so this time I went to the owners and told them they just laughed and said they dont want them to do their business and trash their yards so they let them out. I asked them to take responsibility and they refused and said they are dogs, what can they do. Today they had done it again only this time they totally destroyed on of my unique plants, owners shrugged so I asked someone else(thai) what to do and they said to bait them but to do it on my land. I need to know is this legal, no problems getting the poison, I have tried to be reasonable with the owners but they are refusing to do anything, dogs are well taken care of but the owners let them run amok in the street all the time. I have had dogs all my life and get on well with them, this is something I normally would not consider but there is a limit, on the market some my new varieites can fetch thousands of dollars, the one they trashed was one of them. I dont sell them I register them so that they are part of what is available in the world but money wise these dogs have caused thousands of dollars damage.

I just want to know where I stand with the law, dont need anyone complaining dogs about it unless someone wants to pay for all the damage and what I have had to outlay to continually fix up after them, I just need to know what the laws states or allows.

this is no humane way to kill an animal with poison but if your going to do it i would suggest that works fast

strichnine if you can get it

warfarin and others will work but they work by killing the animal slowly from internal bleeding which is nasty

way to do things

thanks for that, I dont want them to suffer so something quick would be ideal and it will be in my area so they will have to dig in to get at it, it will not be random. It isnt the monetry value but the amount of time I put into it, it is a hobby for me and gives me something to keep me going, to find it destroyed is pretty upsetting.

What is attracting the dogs to your property, it surely isn't the frangipani?

If you have 'rat' poison down, well into your property, and a dog gets in and eats it, tough on the dog.

But the Thai 'owner' won't see it that way.

they seem to be just playing, running up and down the length of the rows(smashing into them and breaking them off)and digging up and chewing the plants and the stakes that they are attached to, doesnt make any sense.

What is attracting the dogs to your property, it surely isn't the frangipani?

If you have 'rat' poison down, well into your property, and a dog gets in and eats it, tough on the dog.

But the Thai 'owner' won't see it that way.

That's for sure!

OP - It's really the shits and I understand how frustrated you must be. But if you poison the dogs after talking to them about it (they will know it's you),......there WILL be retribution and you won't see it coming.

• Like 1

Is there no way you can 'dogproof' your growing area? I know it's extra work and expense, but really a better option than poisoning what are in effect innocent animals (after all, they don't know what they're destroying, or even that they are destroying anything), and also seriously upsetting the neighbours, which as uptheos above points out, could have some very unpleasant ramifications.

• Like 2

The fence is already pretty good concrete 7' high posts with barbwire starting just a few inches off the ground and black shade cloth over that, the dogs dig down petty deep as they are reasonable big dogs(look a bit like pit bulls actually). I get on pretty weel with everyone usually, this has only started happening after a few years, never had problems before. I will tell the owner I am baiting inside my fenceline as I want to be sure to only get the dogs doing all the damage, I will also tell them that the amount of damage in well in excess of 30,000 baht and I will be chasing compenastion once I find the dead dogs. Maybe this might scare him into doing the right thing, my neighbour is the head of police in the area as well & he will also back me on this, I am not worried abou any trouble they want to cause if their dogs die as they will still be liable for all the damage their dogs caused.

Electric fencing seems like a good solution to me. I'd hate to see the dogs slowly die from eating pieces of meat dipped in sweet tasty glycol.

actually I thought of that as well but not sure how I could set it up but it is definitely an option, could even put one a bit higher up to stop anyone coming over the top as wellwhistling.gif

would suggest that works fast strichnine if you can get it

warfarin and others will work but they work by killing the animal slowly from internal bleeding which is nasty

way to do things

I would suggest you have no clue what your taking about, Strychinine is a long and horrible death for an animal, and I know this first hand as I had a dog poisioned this way and not a pleasant sight with the convulsions etc, I nearly took the gun to dog just to put it out its misery, while waiting for the vet, but didnt, in the end the vet couldnt do anything too late and he did say it might have been better shooting the dog at the time...

Hi D!

SJ suggests to kill the owners from the dogs.

Can cause also more problems....

So maybe move somewhere else. Do you want us to prepare space for you?

Regards, Arjen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hi mate, the thought of killing dogs upsets me a bit, you have seen me with your dogs, I get on well with them all, would much rather it be the owner. I am pretty angry about it at the moment so maybe when I cool off and think I might come up with something else but at this stage I am serious about it, even Noi agrees.

For electric fence you need ectricity supply. What means in this case replace heavy batteries. The batteties are easy to disconnect. Not sure if this will work. Op will tell soon I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

WOW...clever dogs...they can disconnect batteries ...amazing what one can teach them...whistling.gif

• Like 2

If you are growing expensive varieties of anything, put your hand in your pocket to pay for decent security for your investment. That does not include poisoning your neighbours' pets. If you do this, I hope you get caught by your neighbours and by Karma.

If you are growing expensive varieties of anything, put your hand in your pocket to pay for decent security for your investment. That does not include poisoning your neighbours' pets. If you do this, I hope you get caught by your neighbours and by Karma.

You have Thainess...I can tell.

• Like 1

How long is the section of wall that the dogs dig under?

I had the opposite problem,my dog used to dig under my fence and get out.

what I did was dig a trench along the fence, and buried half a meter of rabbit wire, it was easy to do and affective, every where he dug he would hit the rabbit wire fence, after a while he gave up, now he never digs anymore, by the gate I layed a 1 meter wide sidewalk, impossible for him to dig a meter long tunnel.

• Like 2

You have Thainess...I can tell.

I grow it in the back yard, but the stupid neighbour-cats keep ripping it up and sh*tting in the beds.

The dogs might be playing, or they might equally be attracted to a a fertilizer you are using. Baiting the dogs seems over the top in this situation

Securing your fence is a better idea, or using a simple , if temporary, electric wiring system, will see the dogs try once and not again